Sarah Lawrence College Reviews

CEO

1. Great place to grow!

Current Employee - Graduate Assistant
    Current Employee - Graduate Assistant

I have been working at Sarah Lawrence College full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The community is very supportive and encouraging! The admin staff are quick to help as well. It's a great place to grow in your career. Excellent benefits!

Cons

Not much room for upward mobility.

2. This was just my part time job at my college

Former Employee - Audio Visual Assistant in Ithaca, NY
    Former Employee - Audio Visual Assistant in Ithaca, NY

I worked at Sarah Lawrence College (Less than a year)

Pros

There are many possible supervisors so your experiences will definitely vary. My supervisors for Audio Visual taught me the basics the first day and were available most times I needed assistance.

Cons

Same as the above, there are many possible jobs and supervisors. In the case of Audio Visual, I was only taught the basics and would always need to call my supervisors whenever there was a hardware issue.

Advice to Management

For Audio Visual, I would recommend teaching the students more about possible hardware issues, so that they can deal with them when they happen.

3. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Bronxville, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Bronxville, NY

I worked at Sarah Lawrence College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The administrative staff are very supportive of graduate assistants, and offer them a lot of flexibility. Pay is reasonable for a college.

Cons

There is not much lateral or upward mobility. It is not the most dynamic environment (even for a small college).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and look for process efficiency. Ensure that every penny is well spent! Try to bring in young and efficient people.

5. RA

Pros

Great staff, engaged community, out of the box thinkers

Cons

Administration often cannot deal with difficult compromise

6. Admin. Assistant Position: Great atmosphere, but very low pay and low morale

I have been working at Sarah Lawrence College full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful campus, great faculty, lovely staff, nice buildings great physical work environment and people are trying to do good work and change the world.

Cons

To pay for the 400 million debt the college has, they have cut many jobs making you grateful that you still have a job. But, the reality is the pay rate does not allow you to sustain yourself as a single income anywhere let alone the fact the college is in the most expensive village in the most expensive county of the country. I have gone into extreme debt ($10,000/yr) just to eat and live. And, have been so overworked most days and have had to take a second and third job outside of the college on weekends to help pay bills. Each staff cutback puts more work and stress on the remaining staff.

Advice to Management

There is a disconnect between sr. management and campus philosophy which has led to low, low morale. Princeton has a student-staff ratio of 6 to 1. There should be an increase in staff to support the mission of the college not a decrease in staff. Reach out to Princeton

7. Great People

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronxville, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronxville, NY

I worked at Sarah Lawrence College part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, coworkers and outside staff are very helpful and intelligent people.

Cons

Upper management creates problems even in day to day functions.

8. great intellectual environment

Pros

great place to growth intellectually, good relationships

Cons

secluded town, very informal structure

9. Fumbling in a time of upheaval

I have been working at Sarah Lawrence College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people here who really care about making this a great place to be; pretty campus; free gym

Cons

Undervalued staff; management is either clueless or completely dishonest/condescending; several new hires can only be described as hostile; taking away employee benefits in an effort to quell debt while top brass retains their cushy salaries.

Advice to Management

Be more up front with staff instead of springing major decisions on them at the last second; Don't expect administrative staff and middle management to be satisfied with being so drastically underpaid as the economy starts to bounce back; hiring "sharks" won't be the answer to all your financial problems and your reputation may suffer.

10. BROKE & Pretentious

Current Employee - Affairs in Bronxville, NY
    Current Employee - Affairs in Bronxville, NY

I have been working at Sarah Lawrence College full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beautiful Campus and wonderful students

Cons

Very small college to be broke and cannot get it right.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff and not the board

11. The Art and Price of Teaching.

Current Employee - Professor in Bronxville, NY
    Current Employee - Professor in Bronxville, NY

I have been working at Sarah Lawrence College part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very committed faculty is given tremendous freedom in developing courses and assessing outcomes, within a novel pedagogy, stressing individual student centered education through mentoring and independent research projects chosen by student and teacher . A very dynamic intellectual community with respect across disciplinary lines. Students are generally motivated, skilled but above all expressive and creative.

Cons

The education is very expensive, the support staffs are generally understaffed. As indicated by outside sources there is a desperate need to improve finances, develop a vision, upkeep both the pedagogy and physical plant, and generally improve general administrative/management competence.

Advice to Management

Treat the faculty as partner, stress productivity gains before moderate cuts, make a commitment to improving physical plant, more faculty and alums in positions of authority, if possible hold the line on tuition -- all easier said than done. .

RSS Feed </> Embed