Saramax Apparel Group Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.6
Eddie Betesh

1. Opportunities, great learning experience.

I worked at Saramax Apparel Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid leadership and clear direction and they give you room to express yourself. All of the other designers were very helpful, collaborated well, knowledgable and very nice.

Cons

Occasionally the hours can be long, but that is usually the case in this industry. I didn't feel that upper management understood or appreciated the creative process. They have a focus on mass market, It wasn't the path I wanted to stay on but it may be right for you. Because of their focus on mass market you will find yourself creating lots of boring, dispassionate, repetitive product that sells extremely well across the country.

Advice to Management

Whenever possible give your designers room to play and time to create. When your designers get to play, they are generally happier, if they're happier the work is much better.

Horrible and disgusting work environment

I worked at Saramax Apparel Group full-time

Pros

Great experience for someone looking to grow thick skin, be demoralized and discriminated against.

Cons

It's almost laughable how all the Jewish people sit and do absolutely nothing but yell at their non-Jewish employees. They give you no tools, help, or even adequate time to do your job but rather put all of the burden to function and be happy onto the employees, whom are underpaid and abused. There is an obvious divide as they flaunt their Jewish status to make sure the non-Jews know who's boss. I don't understand how this type of work environment can be allowed. So many people I've talked to are traumatized by working at Saramax including myself.

Advice to Management

Educate yourself and stop being so abusive toward non-Jews.

A true learning experience.

Former Employee - Assistant Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Designer in New York, NY

I worked at Saramax Apparel Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a bunch of great and really learned what it was like to be discriminated against.

Cons

There are two sets of rules. One set of rules for Jewish employees and another for non-Jewish employees.

Advice to Management

The reverse discrimination is just not ok, and really obvious as well.

If I could give zero stars I would.

I have been working at Saramax Apparel Group full-time

Pros

Gives you experience to find a new job. Jewish holidays!

Cons

Overall there was very little respect given to the employees from the owner and upper management. All work was piled on entry-level employees, while the upper management tended to arrive late, go on extended lunches, and then leave early. Meanwhile no one else had a lunch. When considering promotions, the company ignored professional achievement and hard work and only rewarded those who have been working there longest. There were multiple mass layoffs while I worked there, which really lowered worker morale. Overall they were very disorganized and chaotic. Employees would be literally running through the office before important meetings because nothing was prepared ahead of time. Luckily no one tripped over one of the small children that usually were brought to work and could be seen crawling around the office. The owner smoked inside the building, and the conditions were disgusting and a moldy health hazard (OSHA was called multiple times). Ironically the health insurance offered was extremely expensive, and the 401k was basically a savings account because the company didn't match anything. Some of the highest paid people in this company were so incompetent that they were incapable of training their own assistants, nor did they know how to use any part Adobe suite or save a file as a jpeg. I would not recommend taking a job here unless you are in a desperate situation.

Advice to Management

Learn how to do your job properly so other people don't have to do it for you.

Bad work environment

Former Employee - Graphic Artist
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist

I worked at Saramax Apparel Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work on a lot of different projects, get some good, solid experience.

Cons

The owner smokes as stated in another review plus he is extremely rude. The co-workers are catty. Do personal projects for some bosses such as daughter's art projects. Unreasonable deadlines with no time for lunch.

Advice to Management

Don't give your personal projects to employees. Treat your employees with more respect.

7. Great first job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

You are exposed to a little bit of everything: design, sourcing, costing, lab dips, mood boards, working with buyers and much more.

Cons

Owner of the company smokes - overall atmosphere is a 2 out of 10.

Advice to Management

I would hope management works on renovations to make the company atmosphere better. I believe formal yearly reviews should be a necessity also.

RSS Feed </> Embed