Sargent & Lundy

Updated January 23, 2015
Updated January 23, 2015
3.5

Thomas White

Pros
  • Well structured IT Department and good benefits and laid back, I enjoy working here (in 9 reviews)

• Work-life balance is really up to you and how hard you want to work (there's no accountability if you don't want to) (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can get very lopsided, promotions are extremely structured, but at times seem very subjective (in 3 reviews)

• Promotions are based on who like you and not on hard work and competence (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

You're just another number

I have been working at Sargent & Lundy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay and the benefits really keep people working here. There are a lot of young engineers.

Cons

The corporate ladder is never ending. Even if you ask to utilize your skills for another task, it takes a lot of effort to convince the managers. There is too much corporate politics. The company is not willing to adhere to the modern world. They're stuck in their old mentalities.

Consider giving more feedback to employees on their work. Actually take the employees' goals into consideration.

Great client oriented engineering firm

Current Employee - Associate I in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sargent & Lundy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

When they're busy they can be really busy. If you love pushing yourself and having the ability to work lots of paid overtime it's great. Once you've established yourself and made friends this place can very quickly offer you room to grow and the ability to thrive at your job.

Cons

Reputation for Hiring when busy only to Fire a year later when the work load dies down. Large company allows internal movement to other divisions but you need to be proactive in acquiring these lateral movements to avoid being removed from the company when they no longer need you.

Mention that while they're busy and hiring you now, they do not currently have work lined up past the next 12 months and might need to let some people go so it doesn't catch anyone off guard.

Good company. Great benefits. Loyal people.

I have been working at Sargent & Lundy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You'll always be busy and work on new things. Located in the loop. Hourly pay is a huge benefit as overtime is paid out.

Cons

Management can be hit or miss. Some managers are engineers who would rather keep doing engineering as opposed to managing the projects they are on.

Promotions to upper management seem to be closely aligned with who your 'buddies' are.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Associate I in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Mechanical Associate I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sargent & Lundy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good at the company and most employees bill by the hour so you are never working late for free. Time off is very casual and at the employees discretion most of the time. The review and promotion schedule is pretty standardized.

Cons

It is possible to get stuck in a group with no real chance for advancement. The longer you are with the company the smaller your raises become.

Discuss horizontal moves within the company with employees as well as vertical.

Designer II

I have been working at Sargent & Lundy

Pros

Good company with good people.

Cons

a lot of rushing around to finish projects on time.

Always something to learn

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sargent & Lundy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is my first job right out of college, and I have been very satisfied so far. There was a huge learning curve in the beginning, and it wasn't easy because working in nuclear is very different and is not for everyone. But, I am glad I stuck through it because there are many learning opportunities to go along with the many different types of projects at a nuclear plant, whether it is electrical, structural, or mechanical. There are always older and more experienced engineers who are willing to help and spread their knowledge. Pay is great for an entry level, no complaints on benefits, but the great work/life balance has been key in my satisfaction. There are times where I've worked weekends, and days longer than 8 hours, but we're technically hourly so the overtime is there. Most of all, the satisfaction of seeing your design change to the plant being implemented and working after a plant outage is a great feeling. Also, there is a huge gap between the Gen Ys and baby boomers in this industry, so job stability and opportunity to move around in the industry is there.

Cons

(1) There are a lot of interactions between us, the clients, and the vendor, so there were times where I was caught in the middle of the cross-fire (between client and vendor) and somehow take all the blame. (2) Some projects can be very dull and de-motivating, and can end up going nowhere. (3) Lots of technical writing. At times, it will seem like the project is 90% technical writing and making the product look nice and 10% actual engineering. However, there are projects where it was the other way around.

Be more conservative with schedules. Sometimes the dates we give to the client may seem reasonable at the time, but issues ALWAYS come up.

Good first job

Current Employee - Senior Associate I in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Associate I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sargent & Lundy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits. Comp time and OT pay is a huge plus.

Cons

Work-life balance can get very lopsided, promotions are extremely structured, but at times seem very subjective.

Challenging Environment to Progress You Through Your Career!

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sargent & Lundy full-time

Pros

Excellent opportunities to excel and move up the ladder. Partnership focuses on individuals and not shareholders. If you are vocal you will be heard.

Cons

Improvement on training is required.

Continue to focus on employees and provide each and every employee the opportunity to stretch themselves with challenging roles and responsibilities.

Structural Designer

Current Employee - Designer II in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Designer II in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Sargent & Lundy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, even greater people.

Cons

none really, other than occational long hours, but then the overtime is nice on payday!

Great company

Current Employee - Associate III in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate III in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sargent & Lundy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience. Get to work on amazing projects.

Cons

The process for verification and validation of software needs to improve.