Sarnova

3.1

Jeff Prestel
1 Rating

Pretty Content

I have been working at Sarnova full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company has done nothing but change since the day I joined...but if you can roll with the punches, it's definitely a place that will challenge you and force you to expand your perspective, knowledge & skillset. Sure, there are always annoyances at work but those same annoyances exist at every other company out there. This place really does try hard to create a good work environment. I can't speak for the other locations but at the corporate office, the HR Team, Rescue Team and Wellness Team are always coming up with some activity. It may be related to a holiday, raising money or other resources for a worthy cause, or sometimes just for fun. The people are friendly and extremely passionate about the customer. There are some amazing people on the staff here (and of course a few duds but you can't win 'em all). The IT department ROCKS! This company does not spare expense when it comes to keeping up with technology. For the size of the company, the benefits are great and quite affordable. Seems to be a lot promotions if you follow the newsletter at all. Pretty casual environment.

Cons

Lots of growth through acquisitions which of course creates internal process issues, culture clashes and lots of extra work beyond the day-to-day functions. Old leadership was really difficult to please but recent changes have brought relief. It's nice to feel like we finally have some momentum back and we're heading in the right direction. More investment in training opportunities to improve general skills/people management skills would be nice.

Keep the customer in mind and listen to your line level staff...they really do have a great perspective on internal process and communication gaps.

I would work there again in a heartbeat!

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Sarnova full-time (more than an year)

Pros

this has that "mom and pop shop" feel, many folks have been there a long time and KNOW the business inside and out.

Cons

I really did not dislike anything about Sarnova.

talk to some folks on MIS about what processes are not working and how they can be fixed.

Great People, Customers & Products

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Sarnova full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have only been here for a little over two years but have really enjoyed working here at Sarnova. I love my team and the customers I talk with each day. The company is fun!

Cons

It seems that this is talked about a lot in the company but the group here in Dublin that handles Benefit questions for us employees have always pass the buck and tell us to call our Insurance directly to get an answer, isn’t that what they are there for? They could work on internal customer service a bit and help there own people more.

Please keep listening to the employees about what our needs and wants are. Sarnova can be a place that is still fun even when people are working hard, believe in your own people.

A great environment that just continues to get better and better.

Current Employee - N/A in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - N/A in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Sarnova full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The direction is impressive, the sales trends are exciting, the future plans are great, and the people are the best I've ever worked with. Overall, it's a great place to work!

Cons

Always lots of challenges, but I've seen there in every company I've been with.

Think outside the box. Our best ideas are yet to come......we just have to recognize them when they arrive.

Times are changin at Sarnova!

Current Employee - Supervisory
    Current Employee - Supervisory

I have been working at Sarnova full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I joined the company a few months ago and I must admit that I was a little nervous based on some of the reviews I saw online. I must tell you that my fears were put to rest on my first day with the company! Sarnova is a company that thrives on tapping the talents of all employees. Great company to work for, great benefits, fantastic supportive employees and they truly are looking for talented people to help them continue to grow and prosper. I'm so happy that I joined this company. If you are looking to have an impact - this is a company that you should consider joining!

Cons

Sarnova grew thru acquisition and there are some synergy and communication challenges dealing with the acquired companies. Again, a great opportunity if you are someone who is looking for an opportunity to help the company improve and grow.

I'm still new to the company so I don't really have any specific advice. My only comment - If all new employees are welcomed like I was... Don't change anything!

Good people, Old CEO was horrible, but he's gone!

Current Employee - Corporate Office Worker - Mid Level in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Worker - Mid Level in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Sarnova full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Before someone reads the reviews of this place online from ex-employees, take this fact from a current employee: This really is a great place to work. You keep reading about Hank Struik and he has been gone for nearly four years. Everyone complains about an ex-employer, for various reasons. But no one (hardly) praises a current employer. I came on this site and was appalled about what people are saying about my employer, and I, along with the majority of the people here are quite happy!

I can tell you that nearly every person that works here is genuine, love their jobs and enjoys coming to work each day to help people save lives. I have worked here for quite some time and have witnessed many changes in leadership, changes which were made due to the company growing so fast and so quickly. You'll see in other reviews a lot of people who were asked to leave the company due to not being on board with change. Companies have to grow and change to evolve and become better. That is what happened over the last few years here at Sarnova. If someone sounds like a jilted ex-employee on GlassDoor, they are jilted and most likely by their own doings because they were in love with past leadership, which weren't that great to be honest. They're complaining to smear the company for others, but honestly, I know the people who are gone, and I'm glad they're working somewhere else.

Long story short, a lot of companies were purchased to create Sarnova as it is today, and with that came many types of people in leadership: fixers, experts and rubbish left over from the old companies. Most of them are gone (this is a good thing!) and current company leadership is on track to be fairly consistent with employee expectations, company performance and positioning the company for growth in the future.

Cons

The company, due to taking on many, smaller companies and making them part of Sarnova, have over-worked the corporate office workers. For example, IT, MIS, Pricing, Finance, Marketing Communications and the Marketing people need more workers to handle the influx of work that comes from all these large, nearly independent companies, being supported by shared services departments like I just mentioned. The sheer amount of work that flows into these departments is staggering, but are areas that definitely need to have more people. Most other departments are adequately staffed.

Better staff your shared services departments, give bigger raises (not just bumps for inflation) and better manage employee morale. If this was done, more positive reviews would be on here by current employees like myself.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Sarnova full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management actually cares about the personal lives of their employees. I've been asked about a sick family member or my spouse or my health countless times. Management seems more focused on the customer. Great benis and HR dept.

Cons

Can't really think of anything right now. There are certain things like work load, but I'm not sure what other companies would not ask me to work hard. Maybe we could get a free spa and restaurants at our office, like Google!

More team-building and company events needed to relax and improve employee morale.

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Sarnova

Pros

Can't think of ANY moving forward.

Cons

Raises/Promotions seem to only be given by management to the employees that do personal favors outside of work. If you are terrible at your job but babysit your boss' dogs, then you will get a promotion

Pay attention to see who your workers are and stop rewarding your friends.

The Biggest Mistake You Will Ever Make

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I worked at Sarnova full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, especially for working mothers and students.

Decent pay, though I started when the company was still a good company to work for.

Coworkers at the peon level were great people to work with, and I still have friends there.

Cons

When I first started at Sarnova, I loved the atmosphere. It was very family-like, with social activities and charities, and a great leader. People would smile and say "Hi" as they passed you in the hall. Everyone knew everyone else by name.

By the time I left, there had been so many changes in leadership and a big influx of people from one particular company, the culture changed quite a bit, and not for the better. Those people were rude, impatient, inconsiderate, and I was personally treated like an administrative assistant by people that weren't even in my department. Many of them weren't even qualified to take the roles, but like it's been mentioned in other reviews, favoritism is rampant in this company.

Instead of the local charities like the care boxes for the troops and Mid-Ohio Food Bank, we stripped down to two national organizations. They both do good things, don't get me wrong, but I felt good about giving to people in my local area, and I'm sure many of the other offices across the country did, too.

Instead of just having a day when employees could relax for little bit and have fun and bond with their coworkers, every social event was turned into a benefit for the two charities. Also, because of the workload, many people felt that they could not attend social events, because it took away from production time or didn't want to go, because why would you want to hang out with people you don't like and treat you like crap?

There was no work-life balance. In my department, overtime was endless; it wasn't the standard 45-50 hours, per week, either; it was consistently 55, 60, sometimes 65 hours, just to be somewhat on track.

Every day, we struggled with our customers (internal) against complaints about the quality and/or time taken to complete a request, while our system did not support the things they needed, and more and more responsibility was poured on top of us as our business need grew but our personnel did not. I know of some people who even had to go on medication specifically to control the stress and anxiety this place produced.

Upper management didn't seem to care, either, as they seemed only to be interested in the bottom line and not the safety and well-being of their employees. Even when we proved by hours worked the justification to add an additional person, our request was denied outright.

It didn't help that we seemed to have a new CEO or president every few months, either. Hank Struik has not been the CEO since 2012, by the way, and the most recent one "retired" a couple of months ago. Every time the company changed leaders, the environment got worse and worse, including the current president, who, at one point, literally yelled at one of his staff to keep the talking and laughter down in his department, because he felt it meant his staff working hard enough, meanwhile having speaker phone meetings with the door open and the F-bomb constantly being dropped by him. He talked about putting our nose to the grindstone in town hall meetings, while our faces had already been ground off, and didn't even have the courtesy to close his door and speak and act like someone who makes at least high six-figures. Part of leadership is leading by example.

As far as career opportunities, unless you had a Bachelor's degree, you could forget any advancement. By the time I left, you even needed a degree to get a senior A/P or A/R position, which is absolutely crazy.

In 2011, the company was named as one of the best places to work in Columbus. Don't believe it. It was good back then, but it is hell now--the biggest mistake you will ever make.

Lead by example.

Let's not forget the Platinum Rule--treat others the way they want to be treated. If you treat your employees like people, instead of resources, you will get so much more out of them, and they will be happy to do it, too.

Hire more people. Almost every department is so overworked, it is causing a decline in quality. The last thing you need is customers going elsewhere.

Those desks in Finance/MarComm need to go. They really put a damper on productivity, because they are so uncomfortable and exposed. If you're any taller than 5'6", you are not able to stretch your legs out and it causes back problems. Contrary to popular belief, productivity does not increase when people are uncomfortable; they are not able to enjoy their job, and they produce sub-par results.

Nightmare

I worked at Sarnova

Pros

Great pay, food truck Fridays. That's about it.

Cons

Extremely disorganized company across the board, senior management severely lacks the skills required at such a level, treated with no respect, no training, and little to no guidance.

See above