Sarut Group

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014
1.9

Alan Ceppos

Ability to grow in a career I enjoy!

I have been working at Sarut Group full-time

Pros

I enjoy my peers I work with, they are like family to me. I feel my opinion in this company is valued. I enjoy learning different aspects of the business.

Cons

Working with people who are only here for a paycheck and have no work ethic what so ever. They tend to bring the whole environment down.

Literally the worst time of my life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Sarut Group full-time

Pros

I literally cannot think of any pros except for how dramatically my life improved after quitting my job with this company. This is the worst job experience I have ever had- so much so that it pains me to think of my time spent there. There is no way ANYONE can work here and (1) pay bills, (2) be happy, (3) have a life outside of work.

Cons

Horrible schedules, long and strenuous hours, you name it. AWFUL AWFUL pay- seriously worst paying company I have ever encountered. Not only are the store associates paid minimum wage but even store managers don't make enough to pay cheap rent in NYC. Everyone is treated like dirt!!! WORST COMPANY!!! The way they treat their employees is abusive and the working conditions are horrendous.

I would honor the Sarut Group with a 0 star rating if that were an option.

Horrendous company

Current Employee - Keyholder in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Keyholder in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Sarut Group part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Easy hiring process, initially they make the company seem great

Cons

Micro-management from the retail director who is ALWAYS remotely located watching via web camera surveillance, She has a condescending attitude towards her employees, opportunity for growth is nil, there really is none despite what they have you believe. Product itself is overpriced junk. Extremely high turnover of employees, only negative reinforcement is employed by upper management. If you ever want to experience what a sloppily run company looks like, look no further. My experience working for this small business is absolutely a learning experience of the tell tale signs of a company that is horrible to work for.

Stop submitting your own 5 star reviews! Focus on actually becoming something other than "a couple of stores" - that comes with changing your corporate culture. This would prevent you from your current woes of debt and lack of sales growth. This is a company that is hanging on by a thread. They've already had store closures.

Owners do not respect their employees

I have been working at Sarut Group full-time

Pros

A paycheck if you need it

Cons

Expect to work really long hours with very little pay, and to be treated like a stupid intern who should be grateful to be there. You also may be blamed for things your co-workers did, even though they don't report to you and report to the owners directly. Work here if you are desperate and keep looking for something else. It will be hard to interview though since the business is in the middle of no where and you are expected to never take a real lunch break

Sell the business and retire.

Former Employee

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Sarut Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A lot of the staff is energetic and fun, with great ideas. Your coworkers, for the most part, are great.

Cons

The company is in total chaos. The owners and much of upper management are passive aggressive and micromanagers, while insisting that people take "ownership" for stores--a contradiction that leads everyone to be frustrated. Salaries, while all right for normal hours, become insulting in the face of the expected hours. Staff turn over is incredibly high, mostly due to the owners and other upper management attitudes. Penny pinching and lack of training or positive encouragement kills employee spirits very quickly.

Remember that your staff is your greatest asset. You'll never recover from the economic downturn if you can't keep staff by showing them that you care about them and their work. Treat people nicely.

Disregard "five star" reviews!!!!!!!!

I worked at Sarut Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had an opportunity to meet amazing, talented, and unique individuals while working for this chaotic and mismanaged company. A lot of hard working employees are overlooked and not given any directions, opportunities, training or guidelines.

Cons

I will like to address those who posted "five star" reviews.. Please except the truth and do not create fraudulent stories about how great of a company The Sarut Group is and the motivational impact the company has on the employees.. You are misleading the members of glassdoor and need to make a change ASAP.. I worked there for over 4 years and can say the last two years was the most miserable, tragic and stressful time in my life. A lot of the time I was anxious if I was going to receive an obnoxious email or if I was going to get demoted or just simply fired because of budgetary constraints. The Sarut Group has been financially struggling for the past three years and are in major debt leading them to avoid vendors payments, payroll, and cutting employees pay by the minute. The only reason why they enjoy promoting employees within so they are not obliged to pay someone who is actually qualified for the position. On the contrary, they enjoy overbuying outdated products, opening new stores, and creating irrelevant positions. You really never know what is going happen in this company, the owners spontaneously make decisions without thinking things through . There is no direction, goal, or inspiration which makes it difficult to work in this kind of environment. My stress level immensely grew and developed a case of depression because of this company. The owners can brag about being in business since 1979... Here's a reality check.... things don't last forever..
    For those who noted that 40% of the employees has worked for the company for over 15 years is deceitful...I can only recall four employees who has at least 10 years working for The Sarut Group.. It will be tedious to start calling out names...
    Please disregard all the "five star" quotes.. It's misleading!!!!!

Accept the truth!!!

Please save your dignity and NEVER work here

I have been working at Sarut Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My co-workers... Screw everyone else

Cons

This is the worst job I have ever held and that's the honest truth. They treat you like crap even though I've heard that they are finding these new employees themselves and offer them jobs. How long do I have to work here to get a raise for the beatings I take daily? I am only here until I finish school and then I'm gone. They'll probably be evicted by then...

Stop browning

If 'zero star' were an option...

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Sarut Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Being able to meet, become familiar with, and establishing good relationships with local clients were the main reasons I loved working here. Also, having been able to work with some of the most hardworking, albeit underpaid, employees I've ever encountered.

Cons

I worked here for nearly 3 years and only once was I recognized for my work ethic, compassion, and dedication. Upper management has no respect and regard for the REAL workers. They expect a plastic plaque, no raise for 2 years, and 50+ hours work weeks to be the 'ideal' work experience. The 5 star reviews are obviously false and submitted by them.

Wake up and open your eyes. All of the best employees have quit or have been fired because they expressed their opinions and ideas on bettering the business. We were the ones working day and night with the same horrible products that don't sell. You've replaced the worst buyer, who held that position for 10+ years, with the worst employee. He went into work whenever he wanted and left early because he was never supervised. Are sales improving? I think not.

Oppressive Work Environment

I have been working at Sarut Group

Pros

Some of my co-workers are really great people, and we help each other deal with the absurdity of this company.

Cons

The management is emotionally unstable and it's not uncommon to witness temper tantrums in person and in emails. They have a hard time communicating face-to-face and instead will email or get someone else to deliver bad news.

As for the products, they're not only cheap and outdated, but ridiculously overpriced. The company is just out to make a quick buck without any real business plans or understanding of the customer base.

Respect is mutual. You have to give it in order to receive it. Writing fake 5 star reviews makes you look desperate and pathetic.

And, just because you've been doing something one way for the past 15 years doesn't make it appropriate for the future. Times have change. Please stop letting your ego and emotions get in the way of sensible business decisions.

A dream come true.............just not a good one

I worked at Sarut Group full-time

Pros

They hire awesome people. In my time spent there, (which is a little over a year) I've made some great friends, so I absolutely commend them on their hiring process.

Cons

After the "new job" feeling floats away, they treat you terribly, and constantly demean you. This is not the 1960's guys, please get your act together. To those writing the "positive" reviews, you're noses are turning browner by the minute. Suck it up and tell the truth, because you know the feelings there.

Hire a proper HR person, one who isn't afraid of the owners.