Satellites Unlimited

Updated February 24, 2015
4.0

Satellites Unlimited CEO Roddy L. McKinney
Roddy L. McKinney

Pros
  • Great pay, vacation time, family atmosphere, company vehicle (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, good pay, and a group of like minded goal oriented people to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are also told that if they log in more than 47 hours per week, they will not receive bonus (in 3 reviews)

• Metrics are constantly changing to assure its harder and harder to make the money you deserve (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for in the money sense and many incentives some not so great.

Former Employee - Technician in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Technician in Jackson, MS

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well I liked it personaly for myself because I love work and new opportunities they provide tools and services.bonuses,incintives,awesome owner.

Cons

This particular office will mistreat you with no respect and will run you over every opportunity they can late hours ,show favoritism overall no integrity at all even tho preached never shown.

My advice to upper management would be start with a new management team in a certain office for there is a lot corporate will never see. The entire office is compromised and makes you pay for your mistakes but management can run all over you and do whatever they like which makes me really question corporate for letting this go on and I know they do know a good bit but would rather look over it. Me as a business owner would think you would try looking into things more to first not ruin your company name,second show the integrity that you teach others,third more importantly respect the fellow tech for they are your very reason for being in business. I contacted owner and hr and several big guys but trust me when I tell you they do not really care, too many times they acted like a tech to scared to say something in fear of their own job and you start to wander why some don't say anything and why things always get worse. In short this company thinks of you only as a number not asset.

Great company terrible management

Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited

Pros

Great money. People at corporate office are easy to talk to. Many ways to make money

Cons

Jackson office has terrible management. Very untrustworthy with no integrity. There is no flexibility in scheduling like promised in interview. If they need you to work 6 and 1 you are going to do it no matter what. For instance my wife volunteers in a Christian rehab program for 10 weeks out of the year and during that ten week period i have no child care on Monday but that wasn't good enough for our office but since i got invited to Oscars i could take off that day to make the office look good. By the way the oscars I is on a Saturday of the same work week and Saturdays are the busiest day of the week. That don't make sense to me there. The have vacation day that could be denied because we are busy. So my son who i told that i would go with him to school event now i might have to tell him i can't go.
    Had management want to tow my van because of a blinker or i could go and fix it myself was my options at first because they just thought i wanted to get off early. Even though my route was finished. The preach at you about keeping your van organized so i put a scheduled activity to clean it out everyday when i get off work. Well for some reason it is getting cancelled. So apparently you have to do that on your own time. When the manager apologizes every other week for something that should throw up a red flag. Threatening to fire some one for calling human resources is definitely a problem. Telling techs in the tech meeting they can go to he** if they believe something. I shouldn't have to say more.
    if you live in or around jackson office and want to work for management like this then you have found the right place but if you don't want to be treated like garbage and threatened to be fired you might want to go elsewhere.
    there is a major retaliation problem in Jackson officen

New management

Excellent in some regards, not so much in others

Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician
    Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time

Pros

The pay is actually very good, expecially once you get a firm grasp on all aspects of the job. Managment is generally very helpful. You get a company vehicle to take home and a corporate gas card. Solid ethics based company.

Cons

You are now required to sell other products to the customers. You will have issues with management if you can't meet their sales quotas. I was never told that sales were required during my two interviews or through 4 weeks of training. If I had known sales were required I would likely have never taken the job.

Be upfront with interviewees about the sales requirements.

Feb 18, 2015Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on Glassdoor. Our employees are professional technicians, experts in their craft, who enter 450K+ homes a year with the expectation they will ... More

It appeared to be a good job until I saw how things really worked

Former Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Meridian, MS
    Former Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Meridian, MS

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job pays good money and great benifits such as vacation, 401k, can and tools

Cons

One word, management. Favoritism runs sui. If your not kissing but they don't care for you. I was a tier 5 tech (top) running very low tc rate and an average of 75 units a day. That was until work slowed down. Favorites would get the first work orders and everyone else would get the shaft. A BIG PROBLEM comes when you try and leave. I Turned in my van and checked of my inventory. I was short a few tools but I was upfront with them about it. I had worked there for 2 years though, so that's understandable. But they charged me for every tool issued to me, including the tools that I physically handed them, then charged me with over $500 worth of equipment that they even checked of as being turned in. They also did not pay me for my 2 weeks of paid vacation that I earned and was promised. And to top that off> want paid my 30 hours of pto time. Which was again earned and promised by my OM. Just be aware if you are looking into this company. When you do get fed up with them and you are ready to leave. Have someone you personally know with you during your van reconcile. If also suggest getting the inventory transaction on video.

Start an audit for your local office management. Don't let them know you are coming. That's the only way you will be able to save the integrity of this company. And that is a core value of your company. Your Meridian office has stolen from enough of its employees and their families. Thank you for your time. Good day.

My experience with SUI has been life-changing and financially rewarding!

Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- ultimate salary and compensation are, for the most part, determined by the technician
    - perfect career for a highly-motivated, self-starter
    - highest paying job that I've known for an individual with NO experience.
    - company-provided vehicle and equipment
    - performance-based off days
    - opportunities for upward mobility
    - opportunities to meet people from various socioeconomic backgrounds
    - never a threat of being "laid off"

Cons

- pay/bonuses can be affected by uncontrollable aspects of company metrics
    - working in severe inclement weather
    - occasional days of more than 10 hours worked (sometimes 6 days a week)
    - occasional long travel times between customers (in excess of 45 minutes)

- Implement a record-keeping class for new techs. This would greatly assist techs in knowing their day-to-day, month-to-month performance status. Would be completed by techs and used in conjunction with weekly PRM.
    - Revisit the present inflexibility of certain metrics.

Jan 5, 2015Sourcing Specialist

"Thank you for your feedback! Employees who live our core values, get the job done, and demonstrate what it means to be a LEAD DOG are rewarded. Your review demonstrates that hard working and ... More

Do not fall for the hype

Former Employee - Satellite Installation Technician
    Former Employee - Satellite Installation Technician

I worked at Satellites Unlimited

Pros

Company vehicle, fuel card, tools

Cons

Oh my god where do I begin. The pay is so unsteady. You may get 70 units one day and 26 the next Office staff is rude as hell at the mercy of the company if they want you to make money they will send you units if not your just out of luck. Most of the reviews on here are BS ratings being sent from their corporate office. And don't think installing dish is all you will do. They want you to sell dish smart home services and from what I hear it has recently been added to the metrics that determines your pay. I was like most people and fell into the hype of how much money you can make here..... and to do the job correctly it is impossible to make the money they say you will..... the top dogs in my office cut so many corners on job it was pathetic.... installing dishes to light poles.... no grounding.... etc. And if your an honest tech.... and you get sent out to one of these jobs cause the customer is having problems.... then guess what.... you have to bring the job up to code and only get paid for the service call..... basically you work 2 or 3 hours for 12 units....less than 25 bucks for tier one guys. you're constantly running out of equipment and calling techs trying to find a hopper or Joey or something. What's so bad is the office knows exactly what you have on your truck..... but will intentionally send you jobs requiring equipment you don't have. I was sent a job requiring a 625 and no one had one and we were out of them at the warehouse so I had to call customer and get cussed out cause dish wouldn't upgrade her to a 722 and we didn't have any 625s............. trouble calls are ridiculous....last trouble call I received before I quit was because the customers tv went out.....expect to work for free..... turnover rate is extremely high.....three guys I trained with all quit right after I did....basically it's like this for the hours put in your will be better flipping burgers. I averaged about 8 bucks an hour until I started cutting corners like everybody else.... have to watch your inventory closely the computer is suppose to remove receivers from your inventory when you install them..... but it messes up all the time and shows you having equipment you don't have..... so you have to try and track down jobs from the last few weeks where that receiver might be or else pay full price for the cost of that receiver 250 bucks for hopper...... I talked to one tech and he said the last audit he had he was Missing $1800 worth of equipment and had to pay for it my advice is stay away... all they care about are numbers. and their image I'm sure sui will get one here talking about how this job is not for everyone yada yada yada..... who cares

Dutch smart home services pay employees hourly and make fsm and office manager qas more jobs and punish the techs who cut cirnetsr

A great opportunity for someone looking to grow and develop. This is a very high pace but relaxed environment.

Current Employee - Manager in Saraland, AL
    Current Employee - Manager in Saraland, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid company always growing. Outstanding leadership. Constant up training and growth. Very fast environment.

Cons

Hope you can keep up with the pace.

Keep doing what you are doing! Continue to develop us as leaders

Nov 13, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for your response! SUI is invested in our employees' success and works hard to prepare current and future leaders to take on higher-level responsibility.

Great experience and great people to work with.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Millbrook, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Millbrook, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Open Door Policy with upper management, great team work and trust within departments.

Cons

Limited hours and restructure of company brought about unexpected changes.

Nov 13, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Great team work enables us to deliver a first class experience to DISH customers! Thank you for your comments!

If you are not a favorite, you will not get far here...

Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Attalla, AL
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Attalla, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The money is a little better than the average pay for most individuals.

Cons

You do not get holidays. You do not get paid sick time. You have to use your vacation time to take a holiday or a sick day unless it falls on your scheduled off day. If you are not a top seller, you will not get routed if there is a shortage of work. The workload is routed to top sellers and favorites first, and then on down the line. It was stated in the meeting regarding who would get routed in the case of slow work days. I am not making this up. The hours are insane. They make you take a lunch break, even if you don't actually take one. You have to monitor your pay or you will not get paid correctly. This involves disputing work pay on a daily basis. When and if it is corrected, it does not get recalculated towards bonus for the week that it occurred. This is scandalous, and just plain robbery. For example, if you completed 400 units for a week, and had a low TC rate, but Recon stated that you only completed 380, then you would not get the big $200 bonus for that week. However, you dispute the work orders. They agree to pay you for the 20 units that were incorrect, but they pay you on a pay week 2-3 weeks later. In that pay period, you only had about 300 units, but you also had a high TC rate which would forfeit any bonus you may have qualified for. So, in actuality, you would have lost the bonus you should have received for the week that you qualified. How is this fair, or even legal?

There needs to be a redesigned management group. There are some old dogs still around that still follow old dog "good ole boy" tactics when dealing with employees. During busy schedules and on holiday work days, there needs to be an incentive put in place that allows for extra pay (i.e. double unit pay) for days that employees work on the 6th day and/or on holidays. There needs to be sick time accrual for all employees, not just management. There needs to be more vacation time earned for every year of employment (NO CAPS). Also, there needs to be a real-time recon system out into effect so that technicians are paid for what they do for the week that they actually do it in. This way, bonuses are paid out correctly for the weeks that they were earned. You are eventually going to be sued and/or audited. Bad news....

Nov 13, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We take all comments seriously as employee satisfaction and fairness are part of our operating core values at SUI. We are always working to improve our leadership ... More

Great on the Surface but Not so great in reality

I worked at Satellites Unlimited (more than 3 years)

Pros

They recognize potential and allowed me to learn to do thing I never thought I could.

Cons

They force people to make reviews on here to make themselves look good. They pay only what they have to. I went 2 plus years with out a raise even though my duties increased and the original position I started in increased in pay so I was barely making more. They use scape goats I know of at least 2 managers who were great managers fired when they could not make anything of a tough office. They do not care about their people as long as they can make it look like they do. They will lie to get someone in a position if they can get away with it. In general a very shiny surface with no real substance. For a company all about family values they really lack them

Treat your people right. I know that does not apply to all the managers but it does to the company as a whole.

Oct 8, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your response and the feedback! As a company we continuously look to identify improvement opportunities and to reinforce what is already working well.

In terms of how we approach
    ... More