Satellites Unlimited

Updated November 8, 2014
4.1

Satellites Unlimited CEO Roddy L. McKinney
Roddy L. McKinney

A great opportunity for someone looking to grow and develop. This is a very high pace but relaxed environment.

Current Employee - Manager in Saraland, AL
    Current Employee - Manager in Saraland, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid company always growing. Outstanding leadership. Constant up training and growth. Very fast environment.

Cons

Hope you can keep up with the pace.

Keep doing what you are doing! Continue to develop us as leaders

Nov 13, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for your response! SUI is invested in our employees' success and works hard to prepare current and future leaders to take on higher-level responsibility.

Great experience and great people to work with.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Millbrook, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Millbrook, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open Door Policy with upper management, great team work and trust within departments.

Cons

Limited hours and restructure of company brought about unexpected changes.

Nov 13, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Great team work enables us to deliver a first class experience to DISH customers! Thank you for your comments!

If you are not a favorite, you will not get far here...

Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Attalla, AL
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Attalla, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The money is a little better than the average pay for most individuals.

Cons

You do not get holidays. You do not get paid sick time. You have to use your vacation time to take a holiday or a sick day unless it falls on your scheduled off day. If you are not a top seller, you will not get routed if there is a shortage of work. The workload is routed to top sellers and favorites first, and then on down the line. It was stated in the meeting regarding who would get routed in the case of slow work days. I am not making this up. The hours are insane. They make you take a lunch break, even if you don't actually take one. You have to monitor your pay or you will not get paid correctly. This involves disputing work pay on a daily basis. When and if it is corrected, it does not get recalculated towards bonus for the week that it occurred. This is scandalous, and just plain robbery. For example, if you completed 400 units for a week, and had a low TC rate, but Recon stated that you only completed 380, then you would not get the big $200 bonus for that week. However, you dispute the work orders. They agree to pay you for the 20 units that were incorrect, but they pay you on a pay week 2-3 weeks later. In that pay period, you only had about 300 units, but you also had a high TC rate which would forfeit any bonus you may have qualified for. So, in actuality, you would have lost the bonus you should have received for the week that you qualified. How is this fair, or even legal?

There needs to be a redesigned management group. There are some old dogs still around that still follow old dog "good ole boy" tactics when dealing with employees. During busy schedules and on holiday work days, there needs to be an incentive put in place that allows for extra pay (i.e. double unit pay) for days that employees work on the 6th day and/or on holidays. There needs to be sick time accrual for all employees, not just management. There needs to be more vacation time earned for every year of employment (NO CAPS). Also, there needs to be a real-time recon system out into effect so that technicians are paid for what they do for the week that they actually do it in. This way, bonuses are paid out correctly for the weeks that they were earned. You are eventually going to be sued and/or audited. Bad news....

Nov 13, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. We take all comments seriously as employee satisfaction and fairness are part of our operating core values at SUI. We are always working to improve our leadership ... More

Great on the Surface but Not so great in reality

I worked at Satellites Unlimited (more than 3 years)

Pros

They recognize potential and allowed me to learn to do thing I never thought I could.

Cons

They force people to make reviews on here to make themselves look good. They pay only what they have to. I went 2 plus years with out a raise even though my duties increased and the original position I started in increased in pay so I was barely making more. They use scape goats I know of at least 2 managers who were great managers fired when they could not make anything of a tough office. They do not care about their people as long as they can make it look like they do. They will lie to get someone in a position if they can get away with it. In general a very shiny surface with no real substance. For a company all about family values they really lack them

Treat your people right. I know that does not apply to all the managers but it does to the company as a whole.

Oct 8, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your response and the feedback! As a company we continuously look to identify improvement opportunities and to reinforce what is already working well.

In terms of how we approach
    ... More

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working for SUI over the past 9+ years has been a great experience for myself and my family. There are a wealth of pros that come with starting a career with this company. Just to name a few:
    -Very competitive pay. Employees at Satellites Unlimited make a good living, and are rewarded for their hard work. When it comes to your salary, the sky is the limit and you truly can set what you earn.
    -The Best of both worlds! Techs get the best of both worlds. They are paid very well like a contractor, yet have all the benefits of an employee such as company matching 401k, Medical/Dental/Vision through BCBS, paid time off, ability to earn more time off, and the list goes on! It's like owning your own business and working out of your house.
    -Fully furnished. As a tech you are given a newer van that is fully outfitted with everything you need to do your job, including equipment/tools/supplies/etc.
    -Room for growth/advancement
    -Leadership that cares. Every year we get to take an anonymous survey to let the company know how they are doing, what they can do to improve, etc. This is the kind of feedback that most companies don't do anymore, but this allows the company to continue to get better.

Cons

-Working outdoors and in the elements. A lot of people say they can do this, but until you actually go out there and do it, don't underestimate how tough it is! It's very physically demanding, but the rewards in the end are well worth it.
    -As a new tech you can expect to work weekends. Most of our customers are home on the weekends so most techs work on the weekend.
    -During the busy months you may have to go on 6/1 work weeks where you only get one day off. This is actually a pro to most people as that 6th day really adds up the money on your paycheck! It can get very exhausting though after a while of being on 6/1.
    -Change. Technology is an ever changing industry. If you don't like change, you won't like it here. All of the change I have witnessed over the past 9-10 years has been for the better though.

Keep going in the right direction. The company has great leadership in place and over the past 9 to 10 years things have changed for the better.

SUI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (less than an year)

Pros

SUI is a great company to work for in terms of the close-knit family environment, advancement opportunities and continuous training available. I have been felt very comfortable since beginning my position here and look forward to coming to work everyday and working for a team whose goal is to help both myself and the company be the best they can be.

Cons

I do not yet see any cons regarding working for this company.

Construction Worker

Current Employee - Construction Worker in Tupelo, MS
    Current Employee - Construction Worker in Tupelo, MS

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I just like Construction Work, as Construction Worker for Satellites Unlimited I would be very dedicated to to my job and work. With my qualification and experience would speak for itself.

Cons

Learning new jobs, meeting new peoples to do my job better

As I would learn my job better, then I would be in position where I could talk things over with leadership

Good opportunity for the right people

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in West Hattiesburg, MS
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician in West Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to make money. Good training program and trainers. Management is great, care about the employees. It is rewarding work, just for the right person. Lots of incentives and opportunity to move into other positions in the company.

Cons

Very hard work, being able to complete the amount of service calls and installs required by the job. A lot of driving involved in the typical work day.

Aug 13, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for your response! You are absolutely correct that the technician position is a GREAT opportunity to make a great salary, but in turn you have to work hard for it. No risk no reward!

Very Great Company To Work For

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Meridian, MS
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Meridian, MS

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being Great With Customers And Friendly Enviorment

Cons

Consider Discussing: Leadership, Personal Growth, Compensation

Stay In Touch With Your Technicians

Great people, great pay, different scenery every day!

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited

Pros

Job performance based pay scale, very understanding managers, benefits, paid vacations, great atmosphere. Company van, tools, uniforms.

Cons

You have to work your butt off for the money, but your given all the tools necessary to get to the top. Having bonus taken away due to technical aspects we cannot control.

Find a way to eliminate TC's and CSAT counting against technicians pay that we can't control. Also don't hold us accountable for IP if we connect every job we can and still can't reach our goal. Other than that, keep doing what your doing and striving to be number one.

Satellites Unlimited Photos