Satellites Unlimited

Updated October 5, 2014
4.2

Satellites Unlimited CEO Roddy L. McKinney
Roddy L. McKinney

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working for SUI over the past 9+ years has been a great experience for myself and my family. There are a wealth of pros that come with starting a career with this company. Just to name a few:
    -Very competitive pay. Employees at Satellites Unlimited make a good living, and are rewarded for their hard work. When it comes to your salary, the sky is the limit and you truly can set what you earn.
    -The Best of both worlds! Techs get the best of both worlds. They are paid very well like a contractor, yet have all the benefits of an employee such as company matching 401k, Medical/Dental/Vision through BCBS, paid time off, ability to earn more time off, and the list goes on! It's like owning your own business and working out of your house.
    -Fully furnished. As a tech you are given a newer van that is fully outfitted with everything you need to do your job, including equipment/tools/supplies/etc.
    -Room for growth/advancement
    -Leadership that cares. Every year we get to take an anonymous survey to let the company know how they are doing, what they can do to improve, etc. This is the kind of feedback that most companies don't do anymore, but this allows the company to continue to get better.

Cons

-Working outdoors and in the elements. A lot of people say they can do this, but until you actually go out there and do it, don't underestimate how tough it is! It's very physically demanding, but the rewards in the end are well worth it.
    -As a new tech you can expect to work weekends. Most of our customers are home on the weekends so most techs work on the weekend.
    -During the busy months you may have to go on 6/1 work weeks where you only get one day off. This is actually a pro to most people as that 6th day really adds up the money on your paycheck! It can get very exhausting though after a while of being on 6/1.
    -Change. Technology is an ever changing industry. If you don't like change, you won't like it here. All of the change I have witnessed over the past 9-10 years has been for the better though.

Keep going in the right direction. The company has great leadership in place and over the past 9 to 10 years things have changed for the better.

Great on the Surface but Not so great in reality

I worked at Satellites Unlimited (more than 3 years)

Pros

They recognize potential and allowed me to learn to do thing I never thought I could.

Cons

They force people to make reviews on here to make themselves look good. They pay only what they have to. I went 2 plus years with out a raise even though my duties increased and the original position I started in increased in pay so I was barely making more. They use scape goats I know of at least 2 managers who were great managers fired when they could not make anything of a tough office. They do not care about their people as long as they can make it look like they do. They will lie to get someone in a position if they can get away with it. In general a very shiny surface with no real substance. For a company all about family values they really lack them

Treat your people right. I know that does not apply to all the managers but it does to the company as a whole.

Oct 8, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your response and the feedback! As a company we continuously look to identify improvement opportunities and to reinforce what is already working well.

In terms of how we approach
    ... More

SUI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (less than an year)

Pros

SUI is a great company to work for in terms of the close-knit family environment, advancement opportunities and continuous training available. I have been felt very comfortable since beginning my position here and look forward to coming to work everyday and working for a team whose goal is to help both myself and the company be the best they can be.

Cons

I do not yet see any cons regarding working for this company.

Construction Worker

Current Employee - Construction Worker in Tupelo, MS
    Current Employee - Construction Worker in Tupelo, MS

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I just like Construction Work, as Construction Worker for Satellites Unlimited I would be very dedicated to to my job and work. With my qualification and experience would speak for itself.

Cons

Learning new jobs, meeting new peoples to do my job better

As I would learn my job better, then I would be in position where I could talk things over with leadership

Good opportunity for the right people

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in West Hattiesburg, MS
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician in West Hattiesburg, MS

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to make money. Good training program and trainers. Management is great, care about the employees. It is rewarding work, just for the right person. Lots of incentives and opportunity to move into other positions in the company.

Cons

Very hard work, being able to complete the amount of service calls and installs required by the job. A lot of driving involved in the typical work day.

Aug 13, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for your response! You are absolutely correct that the technician position is a GREAT opportunity to make a great salary, but in turn you have to work hard for it. No risk no reward!

Very Great Company To Work For

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Meridian, MS
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Meridian, MS

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being Great With Customers And Friendly Enviorment

Cons

Consider Discussing: Leadership, Personal Growth, Compensation

Stay In Touch With Your Technicians

Great people, great pay, different scenery every day!

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited

Pros

Job performance based pay scale, very understanding managers, benefits, paid vacations, great atmosphere. Company van, tools, uniforms.

Cons

You have to work your butt off for the money, but your given all the tools necessary to get to the top. Having bonus taken away due to technical aspects we cannot control.

Find a way to eliminate TC's and CSAT counting against technicians pay that we can't control. Also don't hold us accountable for IP if we connect every job we can and still can't reach our goal. Other than that, keep doing what your doing and striving to be number one.

Interesting job.......

Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician
    Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company vehicle, tools, gas card. Possible to make good money. Scenery changes daily.
    Have to have a 20 word minimum for the pros so I am writing more to fill space cause there is not 20 pros for this job.

Cons

Not being paid correctly from payroll so, you have to really watch your paycheck to make sure it is correct.

When you put in a payroll dispute so you are paid correctly for a job you will only get approved a couple times before they stop approving it and find a way to not pay you correctly for the work you have done.

It's YOUR fault if the customer did something to the system within 30 days of install, this goes against you. This is one of the metrics that determines your tier of pay.

Its YOUR fault if the equipment fails within 30 days of install, this goes against you. This is one of the metrics that determines your tier of pay.

It's YOUR fault if the customer does not have internet to connect to the system, this goes against you. This is one of the metrics that determines your tier of pay.

It's YOUR fault if there is not enough work during the winter months. Not enough units for a quarter will lower your tier of pay even if there was not enough work out there for you do the required number of units. This is one of the metrics that determines your tier of pay.

Its YOUR fault if the customer messes up the CSAT survey call. If you bring this up to management the only thing that is said is you should have explained it better. No matter how many times you say "0" represents a "10" people will still get it wrong. Not to mention the person that receives the phone call is not always the person that was there for you to explain the survey to and usually you cant get in touch with the person taht will receive the review on the phone to explain it to them. This is one of the metrics that determines your tier of pay.

You receive phone calls or texts messages to call a customer back on your days off if they are having an issue but, if it's a managers days off they will not even pick up the phone to take a call from you or return a text.

Constantly running out of equipment on your van for jobs so you spend lots of time calling techs to see if they have what you need. Then spend even more time to drive and meet up with them to get equipment so you can go to your job.

Sales of extra products to customers IS the most important thing, nothing is even mentioned about needing to be a salesman during any part of the application / interview / training process. They let you know that you carry this stuff with you to sell but, neglect to mention how much more important this aspect is than any other so, management can get a better bonus. If you are not a good salesman they give off the impression that you are either lazy, don't care, or not trying. Of course the customer not wanting or actually not needing anything has nothing to do with it in their eyes. You will receive at least 5 to 10 emails a day about how we need to sell more smart home products.

That's enough cons just off of the top of my head. Its making my off day become slightly depressing to put all this down. There are plenty more reviews that can add to my list. Wow, I didn't even realize I came up with so many cons to this job, until I wrote them down on this review..........

If you are going to hold the technician accountable for so many factors that are completely out of their control that regulate their pay, how about offering to pay the technicians bills (ie... car payment or repairs, house payment or repairs, groceries, light bill, ect, ect) to make up for things they are punished for that they can't control? I know you are going to say its not the companies responsibility to pay a technicians bills but you hold them accountable for things that is not their responsibility.

Aug 13, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for your response! With every career opportunity that you venture, you may find that the position is not for you. Everyone has these experiences at one time or another in life. We can ... More

Wonderful company and wonderful people that I worked with. We were dedicated to 100 % customer satisfaction .

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Millbrook, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Millbrook, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great supervisors, fair work and hours and recognition for a job well done.

Cons

Would have liked more hours and to have worked with them longer.

If the call center does not work out, call me back.

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Pearl, MS
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Pearl, MS

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They really have their ducks in a row. A good compensation system in place. Training is good. They seem to do everything they can to keep improving.

Cons

Takes a little while to build up your pay tier.

Pay close attention to the new hires to get them up a tier level as quick as possible.

Aug 13, 2014Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your review! At Satellites Unlimited we strive to be better every day. be a LEAD DOG in everything we do.

Satellites Unlimited Photos