Satellites Unlimited Reviews

61 reviews filtered by
3.7
Satellites Unlimited CEO Roddy L. McKinney
Roddy L. McKinney

Pros
  • Great pay, vacation time, family atmosphere, company vehicle (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, good pay, and a group of like minded goal oriented people to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees are also told that if they log in more than 47 hours per week, they will not receive bonus (in 3 reviews)

• Metrics are constantly changing to assure its harder and harder to make the money you deserve (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Have had several jobs's that were just no where jobs here I get the feeling that you can advance and further your career

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Crestview, FL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Crestview, FL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

fair pay , potential for monthly bonuses, great vacation and pto package.

Cons

we do work holidays and it is early hours ,very fast paced work

Keep staying in touch with your people and you will go far

Mar 9, 2015Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review SUI on Glassdoor! You are correct in that working at SUI is more than a job; it's a career! We are invested in the success of our people and offer training ... More

2. Fantastic Experience with Satellites Unlimited.

Former Employee - Field Service Manager
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Salary for managers.
    Fantastic Leadership.
    Everything Provided.
    They invest in your future.
    Lots of bonus's.
    The McKinney family actually cares. (Some of the best people you could ever meet)
    They invest in the company consistently.
    Best training programs, They spend whatever it takes on training.
    You will love everything you do.
    Hearing Mr. Roddy's speeches! (He really is the inspiring man on earth)

Cons

Long hours, Some weeks up to 70+ hours on salary.
    Lots of hiring upper management from out of company instead of promotion.
    Sometimes have to do work from home to make sure everything is done..
    Communication stays between office for everything, communicating with higher management is highly discouraged.

Overall was the best opportunity I have ever had. Such a great company! They invested in me every way they could and if I had the choice I would have retired there.

Mar 30, 2015Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your review! You are correct in that we believe in investing in the future of our employees and providing them with every opportunity to reach their full potential.

3. Several years as a Satellite Technician.

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company vehicle. Benefits. Vacation. Ability to acquire more vacation time based on sales performance.

Cons

Regularly (almost daily) have track down equipment in order to run route. Warehouse seldom gives enough equipment. I am required to work in the rain.
    Dish Network ,as a company, is changing the way they offer TV service. They are likely becoming an online TV service. This will cut down the need for satellite technicians as time goes on.

Mar 30, 2015Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your review. While the market continues to change, at SUI we believe in continuously evolving to stay ahead of the competition and changing before we have to in order to ensure ... More

5. AN AMERICAN DREAM REALIZED...and...A REDEMPTION STORY...

Current Employee - Trainer in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Trainer in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My time spent around Mr. Roddy has been limited at best but has served as an inspiration to me on several levels. The good will administered to those around him was evident at the beginning of my satellite career in 2005.

The conference calls that the company had every week were something I looked forward to with great anticipation. It allowed technicians to connect with him and share his vision albeit through a virtual phone connection. At the time, I found it unusually special to find a company whose owner was willing to connect and converse with the guys that were working out in the field. One thing…OK…maybe two things always stood out to me and kept me on the edge of my seat while the conference call was taking place. I always looked forward to hearing him say “That dog don’t hunt gentleman!” or “If you aren’t the lead dog, the view never changes”. The main thing that I remember is that he always concluded a conference call with a special message for the technician’s. He would say “Gentleman, I appreciate each and every one of you”. That hit home with me every time and inspired me to perform at an elite level. That statement, as simple as it may have been or sounded, was a virtual pat on the back for all of our guys, including myself. I felt a genuine sense of warm acceptance and positive encouragement.

This company has transformed the lives of many people and my story is one of many. I have witnessed testimonies from a large number of technicians and their families throughout my years here at SUI. Some of these testimonies are grandiose in nature and could be interpreted as embellishment or vain in nature. What is often misunderstood though; is that these larger than life testimonies are often intertwined with one’s dreams conveying a proud sense of self accomplishment. These are things like having a house built, a dependable vehicle, great family vacations or a technician’s children having a college education. These are not fabled, too good to be true, nursery rhyme type stories read aloud at bedsides all over the world, but rather, these are stories of real life perseverance, work ethic, heart, desire and an iron will. These core value qualities are the centerpiece of these wonderful stories but are also indicative of an owner who combined these same qualities with the internal fire of an entrepreneurial spirit. A lot of people use these core values as a punch line, slogan or cliché. They have capitalized on these core values because they have used them as a life spent defending and building something. These core values ring true today and are as vital to the infrastructure of SUI as the buildings we occupy.

Although I had a true desire, I had never ventured an interest in anything other than an hourly paid job. My preconceived notions of my family’s future and vested interest were of low expectations before I called SUI my home. SUI allowed me to finally dream again and further develop myself in reaching my full potential. I have provided my wife of 15 years as well as my two children with a life of convenience and comfort that seemed improbable and unlikely at certain times in my life. At one time, there were things that seemed too lavish and luxurious to even be considered a possibility. I’m referring to things like owning a house complete with a large backyard for my kids to play in and a dependable vehicle for my wife to drive to work in. These sound like simple things but they are commodities that bring me a sense of security and personal feelings of sheer happiness. My family encompasses the true spirit of SUI in every way. They know that none of this is possible without my career here and the opportunities afforded me. I use a cliché at our house quite often when we go out to eat or reach personal milestones within our inner family circle. My wife or kids will thank me for dinner or thank me for a gift and I will say “Don’t thank me, thank Mr. Roddy”. My seven year old son is a heavy advocate for SUI. He wears his SUI T-shirt acquired from the family picnic to the daycare facility and he tries to recruit some of the other kid’s dad’s to work for us. He will tell the other kids that we are hiring. My family is one of many that SUI has affected in a positive way and created a culture of not just winning but winning big.

I am honored to be a part of such a wonderful organization. Their family exemplifies professionalism and family values. I have watched SUI grow and prosper throughout my time here and I realize that the leadership is in place on multiple levels to foster and nurture a fulfilling future. I look forward to contributing to our momentum in the satellite industry and continuing to grow personally and professionally. There are so many role models and inspirational individuals here at SUI, but this was all possible because of his vision. Again, my story is one of many as SUI has graced so many people with second opportunities and a chance to dream outside the status quo box that so many families fall victim to. Sometimes all it takes to break this caged containment is a simple conversation or a friendly “Hello”. In my case and the case of many others…it started with a simple “Gentleman, I appreciate each and every one of you”.

Cons

Some Common Misconceptions about SUI:

1. I wasn't hired to be a salesman. (referring to the many solutions we offer our customers while we are there on a call)
    So the very foundation that this company was built upon revolved around sales. SUI would not be the number one Regional Service Provider in the nation if it wasn't for the diligent efforts of the McKinney family going door to door and making cold contact phone calls to secure a sale. These sales provided installation opportunities for the satellite technicians. DISH selected SUI because of their ability to sell! Over 550 technicians are employed here because of the retail background the McKinney's established early on in the business.

In October, 2011, DISH introduced Smart Home Services. These services provide our customers with a plethora of home entertainment options. They can have their TV hung on the wall and we can leave them a pair of Bluetooth headphones if that's what they desire. We can offer them a surge protector or a portable Tailgater system. There are many technicians that capitalize on this opportunity as it provides them with PTO days that they can use as they wish or they can cash it out.

A lot of guys say they didn't sign up for sales when they hired on but the fact of the matter is that they also didn't sign up for some of the resources the technicians have been provided over the years either. When I signed on, we had to do paperwork but now we have tablets. We used to have analog signal meters but now we have expensive digital meters. Why is it that we are so accepting of these aligned resources and different tools to use even though "We didn't sign up for that". Well, it's because these items improve the technicians time efficiency and they are in fact helpful. On the other hand, when the company says that sales are vital to our very existence as a company and a lifeline to our future, why do we have technicians that are resistant to THAT change? It is perceived as added responsibility but it is an additional revenue stream that can be utilized. Yet another way, SUI pays for performance. I personally think it's great to work for a company that rewards performance and doesn't fall into the cascading trap of paying an hourly paid guy to take twice as long to do the same job. See, you have to be motivated to achieve great things when working here....it is all possible....DREAM BIG!

2. The Pay Structure is changing....

Yes, this is one of many pay structure changes I have experienced throughout the years and my pay has done nothing but go up over the past ten years. DISH has determined through the data provided by ETADirect that our technicians aren't spending as long on jobs as they used too! See, this is great news! The new technological resources provided to the technician partnered with enhanced IRD technology within the customers home have provided faster service and a more proficient process for the on site technician.

To combat some of the changes, SUI is starting to pay $100 for every retail sale made. SUI is also taking two metrics away from the technicians so it will be easier to tier up in pay. Some of these previous metrics have historically held a technician back from moving up in tier....but now they're gone! These two metrics are the Customer Satisfaction Survey and Hopper IP. This will serve as a great benefit to many a technician.

3. They don't have Core Values and are not family oriented....

Couldn't be farther from the truth. We have family picnics every year and a couple of years ago, Mr. Roddy carried around one of the technicians newborn babies around the entire time.

There was a high performing technician that wanted to transfer down to Orlando because that is where his family lived. SUI, knowing that that was out of our operational footprint called another Regional Service Provider in that area and lined him up with a job opportunity.Who does that? The guy isn't going to be working for us anymore....and why would they want to give another competitor one of our top performing technicians? Easy....they cared about the guy and the transition for his family so they accommodated his request to transfer. They once again, rewarded a "PERFORMER"....it wasn't a bias decision based on a "buddy" system....he earned it by delivering top notch customer service and the company looked at it as an opportunity to reward his dedication and quality service.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Mar 30, 2015Sourcing Specialist

We appreciate your testimonial on your experience working for SUI and sharing the personal impact the company has made on your life. Thanks for exemplifying what it means to be a "Lead Dog"!

Unrealistic Expectations

Former Employee - Central Operations Agent in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Central Operations Agent in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The monthly bonuses are a plus. 4 days on and 3 days off isn't so bad either.

Cons

Uppity Employees, performance as an Central Operations agent is based on what customers rate the technicians. your job is threatened because of scores that you have no control over. The harder you work, the less they notice. You are expected to sit and dial, dial dial all day long. No talking to co-workers, if you get up too often to go to the bathroom or break room Management follows you around. Feels like high school with pay.

Learn to appreciate the main employees that really help keep the company afloat and give them Holidays off along with the rest of the building.

OM GOODNESS The HORROR

I worked at Satellites Unlimited

Pros

There are NONE anymore

Cons

This company is a band of liars cheats and snakes who don't not care one bit about you or your family ... though they will cram integrity and "family oriented" down your throat. The truth is there is absolutely no integrity in the management that I have seen. The whole company is based and ran off of working you more and more.. harder and harder with less pay.. constantly stealing money from good hard working technicians in any way they see fit... ridiculous. They're main focus has shifted to lying to innocent customers to get them to buy dime store merchandise at a nearly 100 percent mark up.. forcing techs to lie about these products and do whatever they have to do to put these ridiculous charges on people. Incouraging tech to have customers sign for things that they will be charged for without their knowledge.. The office management (In Tupelo ms) is so bad it's unbelievable that someone higher up hasn't done anything. These guys lift weights and play all day and leave you stuck out there with no help or support. Not to mention they rule by fear.. bullying... belittling.. any means necessary to accomplish whatever their goal may be.. hateful rotten liars that will manipulate and deceive in any way possible. Only interested in helping themselves. What else can I say. This is the worst experience I've had in my life with a job... and I tried hard. Stayed several years under these conditions and excelled. One of the best techs in the company hoping things would change for the better but it was just a pipe dream. IF YOU ARE THINKING OF WORKING FOR THIS COMPANY BEWARE... go to McDonald's you'd be WAY better off...

Need to take a serious look at the guys running your show before the company loses some SERIOUS money in a lawsuit.

Great company terrible management

Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited

Pros

Great money. People at corporate office are easy to talk to. Many ways to make money

Cons

Jackson office has terrible management. Very untrustworthy with no integrity. There is no flexibility in scheduling like promised in interview. If they need you to work 6 and 1 you are going to do it no matter what. For instance my wife volunteers in a Christian rehab program for 10 weeks out of the year and during that ten week period i have no child care on Monday but that wasn't good enough for our office but since i got invited to Oscars i could take off that day to make the office look good. By the way the oscars I is on a Saturday of the same work week and Saturdays are the busiest day of the week. That don't make sense to me there. The have vacation day that could be denied because we are busy. So my son who i told that i would go with him to school event now i might have to tell him i can't go.
    Had management want to tow my van because of a blinker or i could go and fix it myself was my options at first because they just thought i wanted to get off early. Even though my route was finished. The preach at you about keeping your van organized so i put a scheduled activity to clean it out everyday when i get off work. Well for some reason it is getting cancelled. So apparently you have to do that on your own time. When the manager apologizes every other week for something that should throw up a red flag. Threatening to fire some one for calling human resources is definitely a problem. Telling techs in the tech meeting they can go to he** if they believe something. I shouldn't have to say more.
    if you live in or around jackson office and want to work for management like this then you have found the right place but if you don't want to be treated like garbage and threatened to be fired you might want to go elsewhere.
    there is a major retaliation problem in Jackson officen

New management

9. Excellent in some regards, not so much in others

Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician
    Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time

Pros

The pay is actually very good, expecially once you get a firm grasp on all aspects of the job. Managment is generally very helpful. You get a company vehicle to take home and a corporate gas card. Solid ethics based company.

Cons

You are now required to sell other products to the customers. You will have issues with management if you can't meet their sales quotas. I was never told that sales were required during my two interviews or through 4 weeks of training. If I had known sales were required I would likely have never taken the job.

Be upfront with interviewees about the sales requirements.

Feb 18, 2015Sourcing Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on Glassdoor. Our employees are professional technicians, experts in their craft, who enter 450K+ homes a year with the expectation they will ... More

New pay scale for 2015

Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Rainbow City, AL
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician in Rainbow City, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited

Pros

They provide tools, van, and equipment.

Cons

Until this year in January when they announced the new pay scale everything was fine. I personally made over $70000 last year but in January they announced they will be cutting all technicians pay on average by 17%. Which by the pay scale they showed us this week looks to be more like 20%. Which will cost me between $15000-$20000 over this next year as well as we must maintain a 2.5% trouble call rate which is unheard of in this industry. Of the current technicians I know and have spoken to we have around 15 techs out of around 40 looking for other jobs and I haven't spoken to about have of the 40. I have never worked for a company that preaches integrity as much as sui but shows none toward the technicians that make them successful. They hold you accountable for trouble calls for bad equipment. I would definitely deture anyone from coming to work for sui unless they change the pay scale back to where it needs to be because you can make just as much if not more money in just about any good factory job as you can with this new pay scale and not have to work in extreme heat and cold, rain, snow, crawling under houses, crawling in attics, etc....

Show us the integrity that you expect us to show the company that a lot of us help build and the company that we have always loved to be a part of. Step up and treat us right.

It appeared to be a good job until I saw how things really worked

Former Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Meridian, MS
    Former Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Meridian, MS

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job pays good money and great benifits such as vacation, 401k, can and tools

Cons

One word, management. Favoritism runs sui. If your not kissing but they don't care for you. I was a tier 5 tech (top) running very low tc rate and an average of 75 units a day. That was until work slowed down. Favorites would get the first work orders and everyone else would get the shaft. A BIG PROBLEM comes when you try and leave. I Turned in my van and checked of my inventory. I was short a few tools but I was upfront with them about it. I had worked there for 2 years though, so that's understandable. But they charged me for every tool issued to me, including the tools that I physically handed them, then charged me with over $500 worth of equipment that they even checked of as being turned in. They also did not pay me for my 2 weeks of paid vacation that I earned and was promised. And to top that off> want paid my 30 hours of pto time. Which was again earned and promised by my OM. Just be aware if you are looking into this company. When you do get fed up with them and you are ready to leave. Have someone you personally know with you during your van reconcile. If also suggest getting the inventory transaction on video.

Start an audit for your local office management. Don't let them know you are coming. That's the only way you will be able to save the integrity of this company. And that is a core value of your company. Your Meridian office has stolen from enough of its employees and their families. Thank you for your time. Good day.

Satellites Unlimited Photos