Satellites Unlimited Reviews

Reset
2.9
Satellites Unlimited CEO Roddy L. McKinney
Roddy L. McKinney

Pros
  • Company vehicle, tools, gas card (in 6 reviews)

• I had waited my whole working career to find a place that rewards hard work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's YOUR fault if the customer did something to the system within 30 days of install, this goes against you (in 3 reviews)

• Very hard work, being able to complete the amount of service calls and installs required by the job (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Have had several jobs's that were just no where jobs here I get the feeling that you can advance and further your career

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Crestview, FL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Crestview, FL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fair pay , potential for monthly bonuses, great vacation and pto package.

Cons

we do work holidays and it is early hours ,very fast paced work

Advice to Management

Keep staying in touch with your people and you will go far

Mar 9, 2015 – Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review SUI on Glassdoor! You are correct in that working at SUI is more than a job; it's a career! We are invested in the success of our people and offer training ... More

2. Hard Work

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time

Pros

Company vehicle, great pay, great benefits, no manager looking over your shoulder

Cons

Long hours, work life balance, high stress

Aug 26, 2015 – Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your time and dedication to our company. Your feedback is important to us and will allow SUI to continue improving.

Great job if you can sell, meet your metrics, and put up with constant company changes!

Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Satellite Installation Technician in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Take home van, gas card, work alone, go to the shop once a week, a few different ways to make bonus money, decent pay but hard work

Cons

Metrics you have to meet, off days suck unless youre a "top 10 tech" , constant changes, Sales, Always messing with your route during the day, crappy routes, sales, you pay for uniforms, work 6 days in the summer, turn over rate is high, no advancement because of fear of getting fired, and sales!

Advice to Management

Nothin anyone says will help! This used to be a great job 4 years ago!

Aug 18, 2015 – Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for your time and dedication to SUI. We appreciate your feedback. Our technician role is one that is constantly changing to keep up with the competition, and because we are a 7-day-a-week ... More

satellite technician

Former Employee - Dish Network Retail Service Provider Satellite Technician in Madison, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ever changing scenery, not stuck in an office.

Cons

Work weekends, work holidays, long hours, untrustworthy management.

Advice to Management

Keep your word to your employees. If you preach that family comes first, don't tell employees you'll work with them to get time off to attend family events, and then not give then the time off. Or set a goal for to be able to get Fridays and Saturdays off, then once employee his this goal, renig on said goal.

Aug 21, 2015 – Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for your time and dedication to SUI. We appreciate your feedback.

Pay cut paradise

Former Employee - Satellite Technician
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician

Pros

Do not work for this company

Cons

This company was once good to work for, but they've made major pay cuts and are running off all the good employees.

Advice to Management

The McKinney family is rollin in the cash from Dish and paying less than Dish recommends for each job. They preach values but don't practice them.

Aug 31, 2015 – Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to review SUI on Glassdoor. Earlier this year, our leaders made difficult decisions around compensation for both field and corporate staff. Announcements were made as ... More

Employee Beware!

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Rainbow City, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for this company expired long before the announcement of the pay cut early in 2015.

Cons

Insensitive management, not a career, they are not invested in the employees. This company is ruled as a dictatorship. When they change policy, it is distributed as you sign our you will be terminated. They continue to abuse the Alabama at will employment law as a means of intimidation.

Advice to Management

When you truly invest in your people, you will succeed. Profits are not the only motivation. Old saying: "You get what you pay for." If you pay less for more work, you will get less quality and, eventually, less work. I know it's hard to turn down a job when you don't have one and it's hard to find, but you are enabling the problem by joining it. If you have a job, I would overlook this one if at all possible. I wasted 9 years of my life and my family's life with this inconsiderate company.

Jul 29, 2015 – Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for your time and dedication. We appreciate your years of service to SUI.

All-in-all a great Company that cares about its people.

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company vehicle, gas card, tools, uniforms and training provided. The CEO of the company will actually take the time to get to know you and remember you. That says a lot. This line of work is not for everyone and YES it does have some short-comings, but who doesn't?

Cons

Some of the metrics you have to attain to get your bonus are difficult to say the least. And if you have a few disgruntled customers or customer error that can drastically affect your pay. With that being said, even without the bonus you are still making a lot more than other employers are willing to pay.

Advice to Management

You guys obviously know what your doing and how to run a stable and lucrative business in a competitive industry.

Jun 22, 2015 – Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to review SUI on Glassdoor. We enable our technicians to foster their entrepreneurial drive by providing them with the training and resources they need to succeed with zero ... More

True day at SUI, worked 15 hours paid less than 140 for the day, each job was anywhere from an hour to 45 minutes the 23

Current Employee - Satellite Technician
    Current Employee - Satellite Technician

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On your own, fellow techs are awsome, everything is supplied

Cons

Worked 15 hours paid less than 140 for the day, jobs were an hour to 45 minutes apart, company cut tech pay by what they said was 17 percent in reality it was 23 percent, this same day before pay cut would have paid close to 200 dollars for the day, if you do the math i was paid 9.35 an hour for that day. Sui is in a hiring frenzy because they are loosing techs left and right due to pay cut, they will say its the busy time of year jobs havent changed only the pay, they are loosing alot of senior techs, they have configured their promotion scale to where its almost impossible to advance, before april you could become a tier 5 in about a year now you have tier 5s getting bumped down due to the new system so on top of the cut in april you now get another cut when you get bumped down, before april you could do 4 jobs a day and make a good living now you have to do 5, 6, 7 jobs a day to make the same money and they wonder why injury incidents vehicle incidents have gone up its because techs are having to do more work for same pay and are rushing to have a little time with their families.

Advice to Management

Take care of your, as you call us, people machines

Jul 7, 2015 – Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to review SUI on Glassdoor. In January 2015, SUI leaders had to make some difficult decisions around compensation for both field and corporate staff. They made the decision ... More

Was a great place to work

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company Vehicle Out and about, no one looking over your shoulder.

Cons

Extremely low pay. Sales requirements. Long hours.

Advice to Management

Start respecting peoples free time.

Hard Work High Expectations Little Reward

Former Employee - Technician
    Former Employee - Technician

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Customer Service and Sales experience. Meet a variety of people who sometimes tip and give you property. Excellent benefits. 1 week paid vacation first 6 mo. Another week after another six months. Two weeks the following year.

Cons

Expect drive 45 or more minutes between jobs with no compensation. Too much emphasis on the sales with little compensation that makes it worth while. Inventory mistakes on your van that you will be required to pay for even though you followed procedure.

Advice to Management

Pay more. Expect Less Do more for your money.

Jun 15, 2015 – Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your time and dedication to SUI. 5 years is an accomplishment! We appreciate the feedback and your review of the company.

RSS Feed </> Embed