Satellites Unlimited Reviews

Reset
3.1
Satellites Unlimited CEO Roddy L. McKinney
Roddy L. McKinney

Pros
  • Company vehicle, tools, gas card (in 6 reviews)

• I had waited my whole working career to find a place that rewards hard work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's YOUR fault if the customer did something to the system within 30 days of install, this goes against you (in 3 reviews)

• Very hard work, being able to complete the amount of service calls and installs required by the job (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Have had several jobs's that were just no where jobs here I get the feeling that you can advance and further your career

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Crestview, FL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Crestview, FL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

fair pay , potential for monthly bonuses, great vacation and pto package.

Cons

we do work holidays and it is early hours ,very fast paced work

Advice to Management

Keep staying in touch with your people and you will go far

Mar 9, 2015Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to review SUI on Glassdoor! You are correct in that working at SUI is more than a job; it's a career! We are invested in the success of our people and offer training ... More

2. All-in-all a great Company that cares about its people.

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Rainbow City, AL
    Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Rainbow City, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company vehicle, gas card, tools, uniforms and training provided. The CEO of the company will actually take the time to get to know you and remember you. That says a lot. This line of work is not for everyone and YES it does have some short-comings, but who doesn't?

Cons

Some of the metrics you have to attain to get your bonus are difficult to say the least. And if you have a few disgruntled customers or customer error that can drastically affect your pay. With that being said, even without the bonus you are still making a lot more than other employers are willing to pay.

Advice to Management

You guys obviously know what your doing and how to run a stable and lucrative business in a competitive industry.

Jun 22, 2015Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to review SUI on Glassdoor. We enable our technicians to foster their entrepreneurial drive by providing them with the training and resources they need to succeed with zero ... More

Stay away if you have a family

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Madison, AL
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Madison, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Changing scenery, on your own no manager breathing down your neck, money's good if your a hard worker.

Cons

Hours are terrible, management had no integrity, company talks a big game about technicians being the backbone of the company but doesn't take care of us.

Advice to Management

Have some integrity, if you tell someone to do something one way, don't change it a few months later and then fire people for doing it the way you wanted it done in the first place. Treat your techs better, we have families too and we like spending time with them.

Jun 25, 2015Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking time to review SUI on Glassdoor. We are a 365-day-a-year customer service organization. This means we have technicians running complete routes on Saturdays, Sundays, and every ... More

Was a great place to work

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company Vehicle
    Out and about, no one looking over your shoulder.

Cons

Extremely low pay.
    Sales requirements.
    Long hours.

Advice to Management

Start respecting peoples free time.

Trending downward.

Current Employee - Technician in Southside, AL
    Current Employee - Technician in Southside, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Company furnishes all tools and vehicle.

Cons

Dish network in general is trending downward in quality and customer satisfaction. Their repeated cutting in pay for technicians.

Advice to Management

Top pay gets you top techs. Used to be one of the companies beliefs.

Hard Work High Expectations Little Reward

Former Employee - Technician
    Former Employee - Technician

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Customer Service and Sales experience. Meet a variety of people who sometimes tip and give you property.
    Excellent benefits. 1 week paid vacation first 6 mo. Another week after another six months. Two weeks the following year.

Cons

Expect drive 45 or more minutes between jobs with no compensation.
    Too much emphasis on the sales with little compensation that makes it worth while.
    Inventory mistakes on your van that you will be required to pay for even though you followed procedure.

Advice to Management

Pay more.
    Expect Less
    Do more for your money.

Jun 15, 2015Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your time and dedication to SUI. 5 years is an accomplishment! We appreciate the feedback and your review of the company.

Would not recommend not even if someone desperate for a job due to management

Current Employee - Former Central Operations Employee in Homewood, AL
    Current Employee - Former Central Operations Employee in Homewood, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked 4 days off 3 days. Central Ops supervisors value your opinion. Any questions you had they made sure they had a answer for you by the end of the day.

Cons

I was a former Central Ops employee and I hate to bash anyone or any company. But, I had never worked for a company that management are snakes, unprofessional, lack integrity, and only concerned about themselves and not employees. I should have read the warning signs when I first start working there. Central Ops team was to outbound customers to rate the technician performance. You are responsible if the technician fail and will get written up for it even if they fail quite a few times. Management do not appreciate employees that have been with them for sometime that never gave them any problems. If you never been written up, they going to try to find some reason to pick at you so they can see how you respond. They also used bad judgement in some of the people they hired. There are 2 guys that were the upper head of former Central Ops dept that walk around like they run the company and think they have supernatural power and you suppose to fear them which it bothered me to look at them cause all I saw was horns growing out there head. They lie, gossip, do not want you to get ahead, and don't even open there mouth to speak. Sales team is the only department they care about. Because of course it benefit there pocket. All they talked about was opportunities and advancement every monthly meeting which was a LIE! Opportunity and Advancement to them was more unnesscary work.

Advice to Management

Management should show you appreciate your employees. Especially the ones that been with you for a period of time. Because not only do the employee need you you also need the employee. That keep the employees happy and do not mind coming to work to do a great job.

May 27, 2015Sourcing Specialist

At SUI, we consider our people to be one of our greatest resources and value our "People Machine" We always strive to treat our employees with dignity, respect and fairness. We appreciate your ... More

misleading

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited (More than 3 years)

Pros

cant think of any cause seems like everything about this company was misleading

Cons

lack of advancement opportunites, jobs given to certain people, lack of consistency of management and staff

10. Career Growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's less about the "benefits" of the job and more about the company culture and the great people you get to work with everyday, whether they're your customers or your coworkers. Sure, you may think about accepting an offer here just to land a job, but you have so much potential for long-term career growth. SUI invests in their people. They offer training, leadership development and promotional opportunities. In the short time I've been here, I've gone from a temp to a full-time hire and received a promotion. If you live the core values, act with integrity and show a "lead dog" work ethic, you'll have all the tools for success here.

Cons

Demanding, time-consuming work, which isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Maintain your focus and keep moving forward.

Apr 23, 2015Sourcing Specialist

We appreciate your review! SUI recognizes the importance of developing the skills of our employees and takes pride in their success. Keep up the great work!

11. Just like any customer service job you have good days and bad.

Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Satellite Technician in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Satellites Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company vehicle, not cramped up in an office. Getting to meet new and interesting people. Great training. Management is good, as long as you're doing or trying to do what is required you will have no problem

Cons

Having to be a technician and a salesman. Its a numbers game so every aspect of your job is monitored. Which makes sense from a managements standpoint.

Apr 22, 2015Sourcing Specialist

Thank you for your review of our company! Our technician role is one that is constantly changing to keep up with the competition that requires our employees to wear many hats including selling to ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed