Saudi Aramco

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014

Saudi Aramco President and CEO Khalid A. Al-Falih
Khalid A. Al-Falih

Pros
  • Great work-life balance and good place to raise a family (in 9 reviews)

• Good Pay for All local, and expats (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • There is differentiation between salaries based on nationality (in 3 reviews)

• Middle management is what will bring this company down (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Operator || oil /gas

Former Employee - Operator || Oil/Gas in Al Jubayl, Eastern Province (Saudi Arabia)

I worked at Saudi Aramco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Seeking a challenging position in a dynamic environment to strive for betterment of the organization which provides me an opportunity to reach and exhibit best of my abilities to grow with job.

Cons

It is a country inside Saudi Arabia country.

The work itself is on the flow and we will never stop Aramco. On the other, the management effects company employees positively or negatively.

Deceptive, tricky and mean. BEWARE

Current Employee - Industrial Skills Trainer in Dhahran (Saudi Arabia)
    Current Employee - Industrial Skills Trainer in Dhahran (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Saudi Aramco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Bahrain is not too far away, and there are many people here who may well have been tricked just like you will have been if you turn up and have believed the absolute bull dust that the employment services division has fed you during the recruitment phase.

Cons

You may well be faced with comments such as
    * " oh you are the first person to ever complain about noise, even though we placed you next to a 10 lane express way we never thought it would be an issue." or
    * "We know that your accommodation is nothing like you were shown but suck it up, you can't do anything about it now, we are above the law." or
    * " We know it has taken 6 months and your family still does not have a visa, but don't rush me I need to meditate after lunch" or
    *"I'm going to give you a traffic violation because you did not dip your head lights early enough when approaching a check point, Its only going to effect your pay by a couple of percent so suck it up and remember to dip your head light next time" or
    *" We know when we hired you that you made it clear were not allowed to drive due to medical issues, but one of your co workers doesn't like to leave the office so we have decided you should ignore the doctor and drive anyway, either that or leave what do you prefer"
    Believe it or not these are real statements.

Poor performance, real poor.
    Why are you still hiring new people when you don't have housing to put them in and the oil price is plummeting. You know you are going to have to slash places soon, start to face reality.

Very strict, no room to move or innovate

I have been working at Saudi Aramco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

benefits and compensation are good. got to utilize some of the new technologies

Cons

no career progress, no learning o f new skills

Trust and give more freedom to employees. establish accountability and responsibility

disorganized

Current Employee - Planning in Dhahran (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Saudi Aramco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

don't get attached to the work, therefore makes sure you always put family first. You know there is no chance of promotion so you wont be tempted to bust yourself trying

Cons

very little job satisfaction if any at all and the place is real real boring. Seriously you will not have been to such a boring place previously.

Work is chaotic as management do not like to make decisions until it is way to late to have any semblance of work.

All to get your backside on the seat

I have been working at Saudi Aramco

Pros

well when you start the money is fine, but forget any decent pay rises as with most things everything is devised to get your backside on the air plane seat to come, no real pay rises once you get here.

Cons

IT IS A CON!
    They work on the principal that once they trick you into resigning your job and coming that you have burnt your bridges and it is hard for you to leave. So they will work real hard to get you here and then treat you with disdain from day one.

Here are the facts
    1 The housing is sub standard, and you will not be given anything like what you see on the you tube videos they send.
    2 Your tech skill will die, you will become a generalist
    3 Very little consideration will be given to what your education and experience is in, they will put you in the most unappropriated roles for your experience.

Management consultant and leader development

I worked at Saudi Aramco

Pros

Great pay nada chance to travel

Cons

Very harsh climate. Slow to adapt to international business practices

Let expats have leader titles

Satisfied

I worked at Saudi Aramco

Pros

Good pay and Friendly environment

Cons

Job was part time due to the company bring out of the country

It used to be the best 15 years ago, not anymore, here is why;

Current Employee - Analyst in Dhahran (Saudi Arabia)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dhahran (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Saudi Aramco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros as a Saudi:
    1- They send you to a undergrad/grad school.
    2- Less work, more time to focus on your personal things.
    3- You'll meet good people (both Saudis & expats).

That's it...

As an expat (american, british etc):
    1- All the above + the below
    2- Money Money Money. You get 3x 4x or 5x the salary of any other nationality (including Saudis).
    3- You get schooling allowance for all your kids.
    4- Good IRA plan
    5- Money Money Money...
    6- You get a housing
    7- ALL your taxes are paid by the Comapny (i.e. money money monaaaay)

Cons

Cons as a Saudi:

1- You get way less money than your American friend sitting next to you in the cubicle doing exactly (maybe less) what you're doing.
    2- Say goodbye to "advancing" your technical skills. Once you Join them your technical skills will stagnate or fade away by time (due to being idle).
    3- You're faced with the most advanced types of governmental bureaucracy and nepotism.
    4- If you're lucky, you'll get something called "chapter 8" or out-of-kingdom assignment which pays very well. But hey, these are always reserved for the sons of VP's and general mangers.
    5- Worst merit increases ever. We're talking 3-9 % maximum increase every year. I guess they still think they're the only employer in Saudi Arabia until now.
    6- Be ready to wait 4-5 years to get promoted. The company doesn't promote you when you have potential. They have this old system based on seniority.
    7- Diversity is a joke. Most expats never talk to Saudis unless it's work-related. The extreme level of favoritism in this company made the word "trust' to disappear between Saudis and expats. Go to lunch breaks in Dhahran and you'll rarely find Saudis eating lunch with their expat friends. They don't trust each other.

Cons as an Expat (American, British etc.)

1- Congrats. You chose "money money money" over career. Your career for the most part is over once you join them.
    2- You'll be tricked by all these ads on you tube by the life in camp etc. Once you get here you won't find what you were watching in those videos.
    3- Life in Saudi Arabia is tough. Unless you never leave camp.
    4- Be ready to do the Job of your manager and lose all the credit. He'll take your work and present it to his VP as his own and he expects you to never complain about this.
    5- You were hired because of your expertise and skills. Say goodbye to ever improving them once you've joined the company.
    6- You'll regret coming to Aramco after about 1 year. But the money money money will still win.

What can I say. I have never seen such dysfunctional management like I did with you. I believe that you won't change and see the things like they really are until the crude price goes down to $10 per barrel or your reserves run out. Your Saudi employees are not happy, they're leaving the company in large numbers like never before and you still think you're the winner and what you're doing is right.

Gain understanding of vacation restrictions when considering this opportunity.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Saudi Aramco

Pros

Aramco is phenomenal employer that takes excellent care of its employees. Work-life balance is a reality, work is rewarding, and retirement is not just a dream anymore for x generation.

Cons

If you are like I was and looking at this website to gain information on whether or not you want to make a huge life change, I want to share one item I learned after I arrived that I did not expect. Make sure you understand your departments vacation policy and be sure you are comfortable with how they manage vacation. The Department/division in has the ability to add restrictions to the company policy which can include taking all your vacation at once or force you to take most of your vacation at one time. If you are an expat take into consideration visiting family only once per year. Again every dept is different and its worth asking the question. Hope this helps.

Less attention in terms of financial support towards the quality of sports and recreation.

Current Employee - Sports and Recreation Advisor in Dhahran (Saudi Arabia)
    Current Employee - Sports and Recreation Advisor in Dhahran (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Saudi Aramco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supporting colleagues and good work conditions.

Cons

Big Transportation problem for SMP working in community.

Please provide Transportation to the needy and also give promotion to the deserving.