Savage Companies

Be The First To
Add Photos

Allen B. Alexander

Good people.

Water Transportation (Former Employee)
    Vernal, UT

ProsSome of the best trainer's. Strong people skills from most employees working in the Vernal areas. Still have a lot of great friends. Money is alright but I left for better with greater benefits and a matching retirement. Closer to my house.

ConsLong distance from home. Traveling an hour to work. Pay could be more for the labor. Left because of medical bills within my family. Wasn't able to purchase a new vehicle. During 3 years I put 70,000 miles on my car and 30,000 on my truck. Doesn't pay out for medical leave. Have to use savings and plan ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a good job. It's alright to say "I don't know" it always felt like management protects the company at the employees expense. Hire right, train right, treat right. Good employees are worth standing behind. New company I work for payed me for a month off for cracked ribs (insurance). Savage could be just as great. Really enjoyed working there.

High ideals, poor implementation

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThis is a great company for someone early in their career, but don't stay long

ConsPlenty of expectations, assistance from management comes too little too late. Priorities are unclear and managers tend to be good at distributing blame to avoid responsibility, 2 weeks paid vacation after one year, 3 weeks paid vacation after 10 years; turnover rate is high

Advice to Senior ManagementLive up to your ideals

it stinks

Transloader (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsThe pros is the manager is pretty cool there. plus truck drivers are pretty cool.its hard to get fired

ConsThe equipment is worn out. For example, I'm not a mechanic they had a Chevy truck with almost 400,000 miles on it they were talking about putting 3500 dollars of repairs in. THERE IS NO WAY A truck that worth that much .2. The amount of work they expect you to do it's almost physically impossible. 3. The guy that comes in from Transflo (who owns the terminal) he's unrealistic. he wants all these chores done however we are short staffed. 4. 14 dollars an hour for a and you have to do diesel repairs get real. if you go to a diesel repair shop those guys START at 25 dollars an hour. 5. They take FOREVER to get additional help in so if the someone retires,quits or whatever you might as well figure 5-6 months before they get anyone in. typical week is in the 50-60 hr range. 6. Safety is out of control you have to go on top of railcars and semi cars without fall harnesses EVEN THOUGH IT'S A OSHA VIOLATION!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Mixed, not always the same values at lower levels as is corporate culture

ProsGood people, interesting operations and job functions

Conslimited employement oppotunities unless you are willing to relocate

Advice to Senior Managementneed to use better accountability for mid level management positions

work

Switchman (Former Employee)
    Whiting, IN

Prossucked alot of suck things

Conslow pay 13 hours shifts 6 days a week sometimes seven

Advice to Senior Managementsucked alot of suck things

Great Company

Compliance (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsCareer advancement opportunities. Ability to create your career path. Company really cares about employees. Company strives to stay on top of current technology and to always improve.

ConsVacation policy needs to be revamped

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that change is good

Software Developer

Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsYou get a lot of exposure to industries. Great people to work with.

ConsManagement does not value the wellness of an employee. This include work / family time, job duties, conflicts within the work places etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude your employees' well being in your strategy.

Great Company

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsOpen communication and willingness to utilize peoples skills. Great company core values. Fast paced environment and aggressive growth strategy.

ConsThe company has little or no training for new management. There can be a disconnect from operation to operation in the application of the company core values and managment styles.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a more intensive managment training regimen. A degree does not qualify someone to lead people. Work experience does not always translate to better leadership either - focus on the development on leaders in roles that can make a difference.

OK

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Denver, CO

ProsThe company has great values

ConsInconsistant, everyone has a different definition of the companies values.

Great company but they expect a LOT

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

ProsFantastic and truly caring upper mamagement

ConsCertain departments expect you to give up family and home life for the job

Worked for Savage Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Savage Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Savage Companies CEO Allen B. Alexander. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Savage Companies employees.