Savannah Chatham County BOE

Updated April 19, 2014

3.3

Savannah Chatham County BOE Superintendent Thomas Lockamy
Thomas Lockamy

Great district to work for.

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist  in  Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah Chatham County BOE full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The Speech Therapists resemble a close family.

Cons

Heavy caseloads and the district calendar does not include enough professional development days for staff.

Hire more speech aids.

Working for Savannah Schools

Current Employee - Principal  in  Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Principal in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah Chatham County BOE full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Know and understand the expectations of the company

Cons

Be flexible, things can change quickly

Be open to teamwork

SCCPSS Needs Good Leaders!

Current Employee - High School Teacher  in  Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Savannah, GA

Pros

The advantages of being a teacher for SCCPSS are similar to those of teachers in any other U.S. city and state. The salary is decent compared to other GA counties. The summers and weekends off are nice and Savannah is a very beautiful city in which to live and is close to the beach. If you have to live here and must work as a teacher, it's okay for short-term, but I'd check with the numerous lower paying private schools in town or the surrounding counties (Effingham and Bryan) if I were going to stay here for a long period of time.

Cons

-I worked at two high schools in Chatham county. One categorized as Title I (high poverty, inner-city) and one in a more suburban location. In a span of 6 years, I had three different principals at the inner-city school. The final principal was so hateful and unprofessional I eventually left that school because it was so mentally taxing to work with someone so abusive and unqualified for his job. At the suburban school, I've noticed there seems to be more of an effort to have a good, highly qualified principal in place. If you can, do your research and try to get a feel for the principal at any school in which you are looking to work. A principal can make or break your experience in Chatham county.
    -If you want a good work/life balance, be careful what extra curricular activities you volunteer to do.
    -Savannah is a relatively small city with a big city's crime rate. Over the years, I've had hundreds of students and former students who've been arrested. A few former students have been murdered. There are gangs, although I've never taken them seriously. There are fights in my suburban school every week and I've had a few occur in my classroom.

Work harder to find principals who are effective and LIKED by their teachers. I've had negative and positive principal experiences and teachers will work so much harder for their students if they have a principal who they respect and is respectful to them!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful

Former Employee - Paraprofessional  in  Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Savannah, GA

I worked at Savannah Chatham County BOE

Pros

Great start if you love children of all ages.

Cons

The pay is not all great. But there is room for advancement.

I think the leadership should be more knowledgeable of every position. Some things are not fair in some positions.

it been not what i've expected

Current Employee - SNP  in  Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - SNP in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah Chatham County BOE

Pros

the best thing is my hours and the days i get off

Cons

the lack of help for what i have to do each day. we really need a raise or there will be many job openings

get it together

As a ateacher, you have a lot of support from colleagues.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah Chatham County BOE

Pros

Great time off, self fulfilling

Cons

Behavior issues, no advancement, but backs in budget

n/a

an OK experience

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Savannah Chatham County BOE

Pros

good benefits, my administrators were great--supportive and professional
    most of my my colleagues were professional and caring--much of this was site-dependent of course

Cons

typical educational, bureaucratic nonsense to deal with sometimes--budget cuts meant good people/things were cut. but cons like that and pay versus other states are out of your hands

My principal/APs were great--they treated me well--like many places, who your boss was had a great deal to do with your experience bcs kids are pretty much the same county-wide.

Worked for Savannah Chatham County BOE? Contribute to the Community!