Savannah Chatham County BOE

Be The First To
Add Photos

Savannah Chatham County BOE Superintendent Thomas Lockamy

Thomas Lockamy

Great district to work for.

Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsThe Speech Therapists resemble a close family.

ConsHeavy caseloads and the district calendar does not include enough professional development days for staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more speech aids.

Working for Savannah Schools

Principal (Current Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsKnow and understand the expectations of the company

ConsBe flexible, things can change quickly

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to teamwork

SCCPSS Needs Good Leaders!

High School Teacher (Current Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsThe advantages of being a teacher for SCCPSS are similar to those of teachers in any other U.S. city and state. The salary is decent compared to other GA counties. The summers and weekends off are nice and Savannah is a very beautiful city in which to live and is close to the beach. If you have to live here and must work as a teacher, it's okay for short-term, but I'd check with the numerous lower paying private schools in town or the surrounding counties (Effingham and Bryan) if I were going to stay here for a long period of time.

Cons-I worked at two high schools in Chatham county. One categorized as Title I (high poverty, inner-city) and one in a more suburban location. In a span of 6 years, I had three different principals at the inner-city school. The final principal was so hateful and unprofessional I eventually left that school because it was so mentally taxing to work with someone so abusive and unqualified for his job. At the suburban school, I've noticed there seems to be more of an effort to have a good, highly qualified principal in place. If you can, do your research and try to get a feel for the principal at any school in which you are looking to work. A principal can make or break your experience in Chatham county.
    -If you want a good work/life balance, be careful what extra curricular activities you volunteer to do.
    -Savannah is a relatively small city with a big city's crime rate. Over the years, I've had hundreds of students and former students who've been arrested. A few former students have been murdered. There are gangs, although I've never taken them seriously. There are fights in my suburban school every week and I've had a few occur in my classroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to find principals who are effective and LIKED by their teachers. I've had negative and positive principal experiences and teachers will work so much harder for their students if they have a principal who they respect and is respectful to them!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

it been not what i've expected

SNP (Current Employee) Savannah, GA

Prosthe best thing is my hours and the days i get off

Consthe lack of help for what i have to do each day. we really need a raise or there will be many job openings

Advice to Senior Managementget it together

Wonderful

Paraprofessional (Former Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsGreat start if you love children of all ages.

ConsThe pay is not all great. But there is room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the leadership should be more knowledgeable of every position. Some things are not fair in some positions.

As a ateacher, you have a lot of support from colleagues.

Teacher (Current Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsGreat time off, self fulfilling

ConsBehavior issues, no advancement, but backs in budget

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

an OK experience

Teacher (Former Employee)

Prosgood benefits, my administrators were great--supportive and professional
    most of my my colleagues were professional and caring--much of this was site-dependent of course

Constypical educational, bureaucratic nonsense to deal with sometimes--budget cuts meant good people/things were cut. but cons like that and pay versus other states are out of your hands

Advice to Senior ManagementMy principal/APs were great--they treated me well--like many places, who your boss was had a great deal to do with your experience bcs kids are pretty much the same county-wide.

Worked for Savannah Chatham County BOE? Contribute to the Community!