Savannah College of Art and Design
www.scad.edu Savannah, GA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Savannah College of Art and Design Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2014
Savannah College of Art and Design – Savannah – “Systems office”

Savannah College of Art and Design President Paula S. Wallace

Paula S. Wallace

Pros:
  • "Reasonably amicable staff and faculty relations"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Good benefits, multiple campuses, and the students are great to work with"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "gym benefit is actually for students, and faculty and staff must leave a station or class if a student wants the space), no sick time ("
    in 4 reviews
  • "There is absolutely no work life balance, SCAD comes first, 24/7, 7 days a week"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent Work study program

Peer Tutor (Former Employee)
    Savannah, GA

ProsI worked as a Peer Tutor. I had the privilege of working with the cream of the crop in each major that the program hired from. The Program Administrator was a very reasonable person and boss, and the college brass took every opportunity and suggestion to make the program better. Besides... It helped pay my food bill, so I had no real complaints :)

ConsNegligible. Any time I had a concern, it was dealt with.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep at it and never stop innovating!

Avoid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsExtremely diligent public relations machine. Keeping up appearances in all aspects of campus life and maintenance were given top priority at all times.

ConsRapid turnover rate, intense pressure to conform to corporate opinion, and to contribute to "voluntary" internal fund raising campaigns which benefited the school directly. Constant focus on increasing enrollment and retention with no regard for improving quality of education or graduate prospects.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no recommendations to the management here.

Better than most office job, with a better team!

Admission Representative (Former Employee)
    Savannah, GA

ProsOne of the best things is the people who work here. I loved the team I was a part of and made great life long friends.

ConsJust like any office, there are issues at times, gossip is you fall into that pit, and lack of communication can cause problems at times.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Residence Life and Housing Department is as messy as it is unnecessary

Resident Assistant (Former Employee)
    Savannah, GA

ProsThe hired staff are largely independent and forward thinking, creating a strong team environment and a solid working community. Work isn't very hard to do as there are protocols for most every situation.

ConsThe hierarchy is constantly reminding you how disposable and replaceable you are as an employee. The higher ups have been caught colluding against certain individuals in order to get them cited for misconduct. If you have a Facebook account, delete it because the smallest detail becomes ammo against you. Less than a tenth of the work force has any chance to move up the company ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to find a way to reward your employees that go the extra mile, if you really want to grow then reward your employees for the reports they do because I guarantee you that nobody feels any sort of job satisfaction after completing one, it is simply a chore and another way for hierarchy to harass its employees.

Get me out of here please!

Faculty (Current Employee)
    Savannah, GA

ProsI met some very wonderful faculty. I have had some wonderful students.

ConsLet's see, where to start… SCAD is the kind of place where every one of the president's kids works for SCAD (with salaries exceeding 225k). This school feels like a large piggy bank for the president and her cronies.

We have administrators who have never worked any place else but SCAD— SCAD graduates, SCAD Profs and now SCAD administrators. What does that tell you?

People who come here (who have taught elsewhere) do not last more than two years.
    1) year one: they can't believe what they are being asked to do… and
    2) year two: they are packing their stuff to get the heck out.

If you are close to retirement, watch out.. it feels like many people are dismissed around retirement age (you were warned).

Savannah is small, nothing to do but work, so if you are single… and love to work weekends… this is your place.

Be warned… SCAD on your resume my be a 'black spot' on your resume. Told by two potential employers they were "concerned" after seeing SCAD on my resume. My department lost a few people this year- two just didn't show up for print quarter, the other folks are packing their stuff as I write this (that should tell you something).

Admissions are so bad right now I have been told to accept those who apply to my program (who can pay of course).

READ everything you can in the forums on the Chronicle of Higher Education— what I read there rings true for me. DO some research on the web before you take any position here. and be careful of positive reviews written here… they sound awfully close the the "SCAD Style" of writing and I would not be surprised if they were written by SCADs PR department.

If you need a good lawyer, I recommend looking in Charleston NC. They have plenty of lawyers who will take on SCAD— have them depose the president and SCAD will settle. She hates being deposed. Seriously, no lawyer in Savannah will touch them— find one in Charleston.

Work-study Positions

Peer Tutor (Current Employee)
    Savannah, GA

ProsTutoring for SCAD is very fulfilling. You get to meet interesting students and learn about different majors. It's also a great way to improve your communication skills. The pay is good.

Cons- There's less time for school work.

- Some of the training days are long and boring. You can learn a lot of what they teach in half the time it takes to present it.

- You'll definitely meet some students who are at a loss and whatever paper they need to write in 6 hours is just not going to happen. The difficulty is trying to help lost causes.

Advice to Senior ManagementShorter training sessions. Opportunities to do more than 6 hours a week on a regular basis.

Don't move to Savannah to Work at SCAD! Only work at SCAD if you already live in Savannah.

Director (Current Employee)
    Savannah, GA

ProsThe college has wonderful programs, professors and students.

ConsI've been at SCAD for two years and had four different bosses and countless people are fired or let go every couple months. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who is fired. I've know people who are wonderful to work with and get yearly amazing reviews from their boss who are suddenly fired. I wouldn't recommend moving to Savannah for a job. I've been fine but I constantly think I could get fired at any moment for no real reason. (Note: the state of Georgia has pro business laws that make it easy to fire workers without any real reason.)

Advice to Senior ManagementIMPORTANT! The cofounder and president of SCAD treats the school like a family business. Her son, daughter and husband all work at SCAD and the school is littered with her family friends. It makes for an unprofessional work environment, unfortunately.

Very rewarding.

Tutor (Former Employee)
    Savannah, GA

ProsPeer tutoring at SCAD was extremely rewarding. The supervisors were great at working around our crazy course and project schedules, pay was good for a part-time student job, and you were free to work on your own projects if students didn't show up for sessions. The online appointment system made it really easy to manage time and contact students with additional information before/after the session. The school really trained us at accommodating all students through online sessions and training across all subjects.

ConsThe training sessions were really repetitive after being there for more than a year, and could cut into studio time.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer training online that deals with more subjects.

Great place to work

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
    Savannah, GA

ProsThere are excellent opportunities at SCAD for those who are willing to work hard. It is a wonderful and interesting work environment for those who are willing to put in the effort.

ConsIt could be more like google, but it's a lot better than anywhere else in town.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is all about your manager, director and vp. I have been fortunate to have excellent, stable management in IT, it's not like that everywhere at SCAD.

Negative environment and no community

Director (Current Employee)
    Savannah, GA

ProsSCAD has a good reputation and pays a decent wage.

ConsI worked at SCAD for years, left to go work at a different university and have just recently returned--and nothing has changed.

The administration rules by fear. I've never worked in a place like this before. They are scared of any negative attention, everything must be perfect to the extent that it's fake and they treat their faculty and staff like the enemy. It's borderline paranoia.

I graduated from SCAD (MFA) so it's particularly distressing to see how much money is routinely wasted on events, festivals and the whims of the administration; money better spent on the students.

My benefits aren't great - the salary is fine but health care is mediocre and the dental is terrible (floss three times a day if you know what's good for you).

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's nothing to be done. The college is a family business and family businesses don't change easily.

Worked for Savannah College of Art and Design? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Savannah College of Art and Design reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Savannah College of Art and Design CEO Paula S. Wallace. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Savannah College of Art and Design employees.