Savannah State University

CEO

Frustrating

Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah State University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone at the university becomes family after working there for a few months.

Cons

The systems are not updated. I do not believe they've ever been updated. It is extremely frustrating to want to improve how things are done on the daily to be more effective but you do not have the support of management and administration.

There are a lot of great people that want to help the university in any way they can. Not having the support from management makes the employees miserable.

2004 Alumni

Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Resident Assistant in Savannah, GA

I worked at Savannah State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love this school. I was successful as a post graduate student. My professors where challenging.
    I have worked as a worked as a work study. The time I worked with Dr. Otis Johnson was priceless.
    I live within a 30 min. walk of the campus.

Cons

Leadeship at his school is great. Work environment very professional.

I would like to see staff be more forth coming with information regarding the campus and other facilities.
    They are often not people persons( abrupt and uninformed of campus events)

As a student at Savannah State University.

I have been working at Savannah State University

Pros

Family Environment. You are given the opportunity to Develop growing minds and hello students as the acheive greatness.. Always learning something new.

Cons

Some co-workers aren't as enthusiastic about there jobs. If you're not careful. It can effect your work ethic and the culture in the office.

No Leadership, Inefficient, Horrible work culture

I have been working at Savannah State University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of freedom in terms of your work schedule. There is a decent work/home life balance.

Cons

If you are a person who likes to be proactive rather than reactive, efficient rather than inefficient, and you expect results...this is NOT the place for you.

Management rarely listens, even to the best ideas. And when they do listen, there is poor execution. There is a back biting culture and people would rather throw you to the wolves than help you. There is insufficient training and no real leadership.

Listen to the people you hire. Care for your employees. Your students will benefit.

Very much a family environment!!!

I have been working at Savannah State University full-time

Pros

Very flexible environment with respect to schedule

Cons

Leadership still developing and learning staff

Provide as much structure are possible

Stressful environment. Administration sucks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah State University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the faculty and staff are great people. Technology dept does a wonderful job of keeping everything updated. Beautiful campus. After working here for over ten years, I've built some lifelong relationships.

Cons

Too many political games. Hard to trust anyone due to the lying and backstabbing. President and her cabinet doesn't appear to know what they're doing. Most on campus are Afraid of her because she's a dictator. Campus is nothing like it used to be--family oriented and enjoyable. Quality of students is questionable. It seems to be all about quantity. Not sure where we are headed. Athletics dept and the AD are a total mess. he is clueless but is allowed to do whatever he wants to because the prez backs him. Morale at an all time low. Many are job hunting.

Care about what the staff thinks and welcome their feedback, comments and advice. Leadership team need to speak up to the prez and get some backbone. They know she doesn't make the best decisions but are to afraid to tell her. Stop supplementing the salaries of the big shots who just push paper but those in the daily grind are never compensated or appreciated. Say thank you every now and then.

Student Worker

Former Employee - Student Worker in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Savannah, GA

I worked at Savannah State University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I was able to establish connections on campus with faculty and staff. These connections enabled me to access resources much easier without as many interruptions.

Cons

While working for the school I found out just how unorganized and even sometimes corrupt the school was in certain departments.

Keeping head above water

Current Employee - Assistant Director in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah State University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Family enivironment, and friendly employees. The health benefits are great as well the tuition assistance program. You are able to achieve most any degree.

Cons

Over the past 6 years there have been budget cuts and fuloughs. The cost of living continues to go up, but it not easy to supplement the rising costs. The university worked hard so that no employee would have to be terminated.

Good Place to Work

I have been working at Savannah State University

Pros

Paid vacation, medical insurance, dental insurance, retirement pay, life insurance, professional devwlopment workshops, family like work environment, efficient balance of work life and family life,

Cons

Short breaks during peak periods, lack of opportunities for advancement, low salary for amount of work performed

Some advice I would offer to the leadership at Savannah State University is to promote more employees from within because it builds morale.

Needs to be merged with another Georgia state university

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Savannah, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Savannah, GA

I have been working at Savannah State University

Pros

Salary is decent, campus is pretty, it's close to downtown Savannah which is lovely and historic.

Cons

Faculty engage in petty personal politics, management is vindictive to those who question its practices, students are HORRIBLY underqualified. It is essentially an open admissions institution, but without the infrastructure to support such an admissions policy.

Raise admissions standards, make hiring practices fairer, work harder to introduce diversity within the student body.