Save-A-Lot Food Stores
www.save-a-lot.com Earth City, MO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Save-A-Lot Food Stores Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Save-A-Lot Food Stores – US – “Image Wall”

Ritchie Casteel

Pros:
  • "Good pay if in the leadership devolpment program"
    in 8 reviews
  • "used to be a good place to work decent pay"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Often times store managers have to work open to close shifts to balance out payroll"
    in 10 reviews
  • "No work life balance for upper management"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

On hands management.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI enjoy the opportunity to provide quality food at a reasonable price. I am very proud of the product our store offers. The pay in my experience is at top of retail pay scale. Potential for advancement for hard working team members is encouraging.

ConsLittle disappointing they quit matching 401K and no pay raise in couple years. Save a lot has resumed bonus plan. We can save our customers a considerable amount of money when they shop. To do this we run lean and mean. If you don't have a solid hard working management team it is easy to fall behind . As store manager you have no input in the decision process on the hiring of assistant managers. Save a lot has few long term managers. I believe during the interview process it may not be communicated well this management position is hands on hard work. High turn over. They tend to transfer and move managers around. I would prefer to get a store hire and develop the crew then be able to benefit from time investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am not one to judge a position that I don't know. I am appreciative for my job. Reinstate pay raise and 401 k matching...

Downhill Spiral

Shift Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI love my regular customers and that they work with my class schedule.

ConsNew management came into play. Two out of my 3 managers are rude and disrespectful to the employees. It's one thing to be strict and another to be crossing the line to rude. I honestly avoid 2 of my bosses as much as possible to avoid their horrible comments. Don't ever expect to get praised or noticed for your hard work. It's not worth the extra effort to even try.

Advice to Senior ManagementA good manager is someone who is viewed as a leader. I don't see my boss as a leader. I see them as someone who I can't go to for problems and who I am sometimes even uncomfortable around. A leader is someone I can admire and want to impress and aspire to be like. They need to be more patient and understanding instead of making us feel like we're idiots. I mess up more than I should because I don't feel like I can go to them with my problems or questions, and I never know the correct way of doing things because my manager is constantly avoiding their OWN work.

Small family owned franchise

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores

ProsThey are very flexible with hours and work with your schedule.

ConsSince it is a small family owned company there are not many opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time training new employees.

Like herding chickens

Third Key Manager (Former Employee)
Spindale, NC

I worked at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time for less than a year

ProsLiked most of my co workers, Some of the store level managers were decent, Upper management is very disconnected. Store owner was difficult to get along with and very easily confused.

ConsToo many "managers" and not enough "leaders". They want you to work like a slave while only paying minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementSend Managers to a leadership course rather than a management course. Tap into the veteran work pool more and you will get a higher quality worker.

Alot to be desired

ASM (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC

I worked at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe salaries are competitive and the only good thing

ConsLimited staff and the managers do everthing

Assistant to the Team/Shift Manager

Assistant to the Team (Current Employee)
Lansing, MI

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores part-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe schedule tends to be rather flexible and with the way that Save-A-Lot operates with few employees means that you will learn how to be a jack of all trades. There is usually a lot of room for advancement.

ConsThe pay is very poor and with the new Obama Care laws they prefer to cut people down to 28 hours per week rather than provide insurance for the employees that are part time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that while you may be an expert in retail store management, the store employees are the ones that are there everyday working with customers and selling products. When you insist that we order certain items that we try to tell you are not going to sell there is a reason we are telling you this. It tends to come back on us when we have shrink due to product that we were forced to carry but could not sell.

Store manager

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOverall a pretty good experience.. Excellent concept. If you like to stay busy, this is the place for you. Always too much to do.

ConsAlways too much to do. The lack of a reasonable amount of payroll to get the job done in company run locations is a major problem. Store conditions suffer because the very small staff can't possibly keep up with maintaining stores properly on a daily basis. Customers frequently get frustrated looking for help and waiting in lines .

Advice to Senior ManagementStop cutting the payroll to the bone. Maybe eliminate some of the useless upper management and use that money to staff the stores. Business is hurt when the company continues to try to eliminate help. . It really is the laziest way to cut costs. Also stick to a business plan. Every few months the company has a new one and abandons the old one before anyone knows if it was successful.

Don't be fooled by the promises

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey are going to a more "fresh perishables focus", and they are not prone to creating a lot of shrink and waste.

ConsThere is way too much expected out of just a few people per day, the added perishables and paperwork is with no labor adjustments. Constantly flying by the seat of their pants, they talk about planning and there is constant changes in direction and "emergencies" that take away from customer service and conditions. Work / life balance is not there. I was told the store manager was expected to work "up to" 50 hours per week. Try a minimum of 50 and sometimes hitting 80. Poor service from the distribution network also.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what you are, a low price leader. Remember that perishables are LABOR intensive - adjust your SPMH. Don't talk about customer service and have two employees manning a store with meat, produce, dairy, thaw and sell bakery, the front end and running the store. IT doesn't work that way.

Great Company

Cashier/Stocker/Perishable (Current Employee)
Charleroi, PA

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores part-time for more than 3 years

ProsEach individual store is owned by different people so for my work experiece It was great to have the two managers that i did. They will be retiring soon, but the 3 years I worked there were memorable and gave me a stepping stone in life.

ConsPhysically demanding,(but what job isn't?) not all stores run the same ads due to different ownership so when a disatisfied customer comes inwith a product we don't carry from another store we have to turn them away.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe the kind of managment that your employees do things for because they want to not because you're the boss.

hours

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Prosonly work 40 hours a week

Consnot enough employees to run store

Worked for Save-A-Lot Food Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Save-A-Lot Food Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Save-A-Lot Food Stores CEO Ritchie Casteel . All 123 reviews posted anonymously by Save-A-Lot Food Stores employees.