Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Updated February 20, 2015
Updated February 20, 2015
2.5

Ritchie Casteel

Pros
  • decent pay and health insurance (in 10 reviews)

• Enjoyed the simplistic business plan, and the team work, good pay for part time job also (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management very out of touch with what goes on at store level (in 13 reviews)

• Not much opportunity to grow in my region, not the greatest work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Ultimately a nice company to work for, good experience working, though bad experience once it was over.

I worked at Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Pros

The pros to this company include working atmosphere and close employee-managment relationships. Family oriented with reasonable expectations. Owners are working, understanding, hands-on owners.

Cons

Average pay scale for regular employees but management and higher end wages and salaries are much more toward the low end of the pay scale. Many positions include high expectations with high responsibility and a lot of physical labor for not a lot of appreciation.

Management is pretty good with this company. My advice would be to work on maintaining a reputation to the outside world by treating formar employees the same once they and the company part ways...instead of throwing people under a bus.

Good money, treated extremely poorly...

Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Plant City, FL
    Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Plant City, FL

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Pros

The money is good... Average pay $23/hr. Someone could support a family easily on salary at distribution center. Pretty good benefits. Great health insurance. 401k, vacation days, personal days, sick days...

Cons

Very long hours. Treated extremely poorly. Few days off with terrible schedule. I've been working for company for 2 years and work all weekends. All holidays with exception of Christmas and thanksgiving. Several weeks out of year required to work 6 days/wk. I go in its dark, i leave it's dark... Do any of supervision our management appreciate? NOT AT ALL! Very unprofessional company. Have had supervision on numerous occasions use vulgar profain language toward myself and other employees. So many more cons really... Now i just don't know how to express it all... I feel like a dog being constantly beat and kicked around. The money for a position that is entry level requiring little more than clean urine and clean background check can not be beat. But it's not worth it really... You will never see your family and when you do you will be too exhausted to play with your children or love your wife.

Whats the point... You will constantly beat down good hard working employees and hire more unskilled behind them... You only care about your bottom line. How much Slave A Lot is Saving. Tell me... What to you is more important than your cost/sales ratio? Coming from the distribution center that has won the directors cup nearly every year I know first hand...

Good place to work. Just has changed a lot over the years. Not really for the better. Runs more like a government now.

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Profitable growing company. Job security!

Cons

Only time to look out for today's issues. Not efficient.

Leadership role

I worked at Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Pros

Great company that believes in serving people in the community and create a vehicle in which people can become their own boss through ownership

Cons

Change is something the culture struggles with. New people in the organization with experience elsewhere are not received well.

Stop changing the leadership and start influencing the people to accept change as a positive and not something that won't work at Save A Lot.

I enjoy the challenging and changing demands of this business. Every day is something different but remains mostly fun.

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time

Pros

The company pays well and offers a great benefit package.

Cons

Not enough hours for the staff.

Allot for more hours to be used in the stores to better serve our customers needs.

this job at times can become very demanding

Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Pros

The customers and immediate management are the reason I like the job and have stayed with the company. Hours are flexible.

Cons

Management at Corp level sucks. Their expections and demands are unrealistic. They should really try and take suggestions from store level employees, it might do them some good

Stop and consider store level suggestions. We know more than you think

Good pay, unpleasant experience

Current Employee - Store Manager in Oxon Hill, MD
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Oxon Hill, MD

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Choice of locations, other staff members.

Cons

Communication issues from higher corporate management.

Be very clear on what you want your managers to do and provide beneficial training to new managers.

Good place to work

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours which make work life balance easier
    Good bosses
    Easy job

Cons

Minimum wage with little room for advancement
    No benefits for part time employees

Offer some type of benefits to even the part time employees even if it is something as little as employee discounts on their grocery bills

Satisfying depending on what your interest is in working.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Pros

I enjoy the fact that I can work in any position so your days are different. Customer service is something I personally enjoy.

Cons

Hours change a lot. Sometimes you get mixed messages from the bosses but I wouldn't blame them. I have been with them for a while.

I think if they would all get together and come up with one solid plan for the store it would run a little smoother for everyone.

Visit time

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Save-A-Lot Food Stores

Pros

Days pass quickly as you stay constantly busy .

Cons

Poor locations in undesirable areas . Staff is hit and miss . Sometimes they show up and sometimes they don't. You continue to hire but not much better replacing those employees that need to be replaced.

Too many programs that do not fit into the small staff and small store environment - too many corporate visits as well- which is all we focus most of our time on and stress over that which really does not make a big difference .

Save-A-Lot Food Stores Photos