Save Mart

Be The First To
Add Photos

Save Mart Chairman and CEO Bob Piccinini

Bob Piccinini

Pros
  • Good benefits plan, and standard policies for sick leave, vacations, etc(in 5 reviews)

• Great for college students working part time and going to school(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Cut from Full time to part time(in 5 reviews)

• Since the company is going down the drain, advancement opportunities do not exist(in 3 reviews)

A Good Job to have in a small town....

Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsBenefits, some room for advancement, was easy to transfer between stores, ok pay for how long I was there (6+years)

ConsWork/life balance (hard to plan around schedule you only get 3-4 days in advance and not knowing if you'll get requests off for life events), it is not a job salary you can raise a family on like it used to be, and there were times where it felt like hard work did not pay off.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that it is the employees down on the floor in all those stores making you the money. Treat and respect them accordingly. Stop taking away money and benefits for a job that is already hard to make a living at. You may see attitudes change if you do.

Went from hopeful to hopeless in seven years....

Various (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsCool coworkers, Decent benefits(which are getting whittled away), I usually got the days off that I asked for.

not really a pro or con. It's retail, life/work balance is what it is.

ConsAt the time that I left there was not much room for advancement. Cut from Full time to part time. Worked in two positions that were deleted the second one they tried to lay me(and everyone else) off. People getting bumped and laid off due to store closures. Overtime rule changes. PTO and Holiday pay drastically changed for the worse. There are no longer a full time positions unless you are a department manager or have been there over 20 years.

It went from a career to just a job.

I was one of the hopeful Albertsons employees that Save Mart saved when they acquired us. That hope was whittled away in the promise of, not to be open on Christmas Day(that went away the first Christmas), deleted positions, being knocked down to part time from full time, store closures, and that crappy stabilization agreement.

It really seems like a sinking ship.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people in the trenches with respect. They work hard for their money, even when it has been cut by $5 dollars an hour.

the good old days are gone

Checker (Current Employee) Fresno, CA

ProsUnion, works around school schedule

ConsJust about everything else. This company is going downhill, get out while you can.
    I had an ASM who had multiple sexual harassment cases against him, however he was just transferred every time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you actually want them there. Learn how to be nice, especially

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Co-workers were fun to work with.

Service Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers were fun to work with. The regular customers uplifted the atmosphere. Job stability and benefits is a big plus.

ConsCrazy work schedule, continuous change in management, and the hourly pay is not high enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow some freedom with the staff scheduling to prevent turnover rate of employees.

Good job, good people,

Meat Cutter (Former Employee) Stockton, CA

ProsGreat employees and customers, family oriented, definitely a good job if that's what your looking for..

ConsUnderpaid, unrealistic time tables given to complete work load, sub par training, little advancement opportunities, unwilling to work around school or other employment.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to what your employees are saying!!! Show a little compassion and understanding in difficult personal matters brought to you by employees

Learned more at my time there than other jobs.

ProsMajority of employees treat each other with respect and support each other.

ConsInconsistent practices amongst managers across company.

Disappointing

Cashier/Customer Service Desk (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsWorking with wonderful customers plus I was good at what I did. And loved my job until out of no where I am laid off. I don't know what it is about the grocery business

ConsYou put in a lot of work and in my case I was laid off I don't feel like they care. I was someone who did my job and did it well and for a lack of a better work they screwed me. I put my heart and soul into work and was hoping to make a career and it was taken away from me.I hope Mr.Piccinini I feel so bad for the stores in Sacramento that are closing less hours for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice and caring about your employees, you need them. Without them you have no one to work for you. Be nice to customers you need them also.

Started in 1988, following 20 years were really good, last 5 years, defensive management.

Dairy/Deli Manager (Current Employee) Visalia, CA

ProsEveryday is a challenge because it is different. If you have a heart for serving others retail is your gig.

ConsCompensation has been on the decline since about 1988. Not a middle class income anymore. As with most retail jobs, expect to work nights, weekends, and holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the Recognition program is an awesome tool...on paper. We live in a society of instant gratification though. Empower all management to give the old "save mart bucks" out to deserving employees on a daily basis. That will get the "flywheel" turning to change the culture in our stores from the apathy that now prevails.

Better a few years ago.

Key Carrier (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

Prosits a job. lots of nice employees, you get to meet some nice customers, and you get to learn a lot of different duties around the store.

Consno more sunday pay, hard work goes unnoticed, no overtime if you work over 8 hours in one day unless you exceed 40 hours in that week.

Advice to Senior Managementdont expect all management to have to same work ethic.

great company

Technician (Former Employee) Modesto, IL

Prospaid benefits, incentives and nice people

Consmodesto sucks a lot. I hate it

Advice to Senior Managementyour doing great.keep it up

Worked for Save Mart? Contribute to the Community!