Save Mart

www.savemart.com
Profile Unclaimed

A roller coaster ride at a knock off Disney Park...

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Stockton, CA

I have been working at Save Mart part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It pays the bills for now,need the little benefits
    I do get.

Cons

Been with company 16yrs-Always been
    Part time,Haven't gotten a raise in 5years,
    Will not work with your school schedule
    Nor day off rto's.Management are clones
    Of the clones of the yes-men.No advancement
    Unless you kissing butt and back stabbing
    Ppl.This is a great beginner job for a high school
    Kid or a person on a prison work release program.
    Not a family man with a mortgage and a kid
    In college.

Treat people equal,Stop the in store clicks.have
    A back bone.Keep your word.Keep
    Your negative thoughts and beliefs to yourself.
    Step into the future.Stop living in the past.

The deteriorating company that doesn’t care about its employees, Lucky / Savemart, where dreams go to die.

Former Employee - Senior Journeyman Clerk in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Journeyman Clerk in San Jose, CA

I worked at Save Mart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Before you read this, take a quick glance at the other reviews. Notice anything? It's a part time job for high school / early college students trying to make small change and that's basically all its good for! Bad new is, I was the sucker that stayed.

I started working for Lucky / Savemart back when I was 17 in the year 2000 and over the course of several years the progression of this grocery store chain has unfortunately deteriorated and crumbled underneath its monumental failures. The only good thing I can state about this company after 13 years of employment is the fact that quitting was easy and quick.

When I first started it wasn’t so bad, the pay was good, the benefits were good, and the management was friendly. However, year after year, things got worse and worse, like a cancer. Any one that has worked there for that long can tell you how horrible it is, just look at their faces the next time you visit.

Training: There is none, first time learning to bag groceries, bring in carts, go backs or cleaning was all self taught; only the advice from other employees was helpful. Several years into the corporation with advancement and nothing changes. First time working other departments, dairy, produce, night crew, cashier, back-stock, receiving, and meat deli was all self taught, and the reprimands, write-ups, and punishment that came from management was given insinuating as if I actually received proper training and as if I’ve been doing the work for years.

Personal Growth: Any teenager or young adult is quickly going to learn working here that nobody cares about your dreams or career goals or what school you attend. Expect to sacrifice all your social time, energy, school hours, and studying time attempting to make this company happy, which in a few short months, you’ll soon realize won’t ever happen. Expect to work like a slave, with zero thought by management to promote you or ever realize your dedication, because that won’t happen.

You attend school full/par time, nope sorry you’re working!! They hardly give you school time off, unless you state so in your application well in advance. Even if you do, expect management to forget about your schedule a few weeks into the semester. If you request time off, they won’t give it to you, the needs of the corporation are far more important that you, and that’s the ongoing culture you’ll soon discover.

Compensation: The pay structure wasn’t half bad when I started in 2000, I got promoted to cashier after 3 years and I received additional pay raises every 500 hours, until I topped out at $21/hr. After 10 years, the company started to re-due our union contract and benefit structure. My pay was reduced to 16/hr and our benefits were cut by 50%. All bonuses were cut, including holiday pay, Sunday pay, overtime pay, and floating holidays. All gone!

If you’re thinking of starting with this company, one word… DON’T!! The pay structure is so skewed it’s pathetic and deplorable. Long hours and lousy pay with no hope of advancement or a solid increased of pay or knowledge of a pay structure.

The benefits weren’t that bad, the dental and medical were good for a long time and like I said earlier, things got complicated when the union started working against us.

Cons

Company values: LOL, very simple to ascertain this question, money! Let’s make money for the people in the C-suit level, that’s it. You will be bombarded by news from the top by the means of bulletin board letters, pay check letters, company new letters, and other random corporate propaganda that examines how wonderful and gleeful it is to continue with such a noble practice of company strategy, customer connection, and values the corporation has historically within the community.

All energy and corporate devotion are geared toward making more money and helping the C-suit level. Every strategy is covered with the seemingly willfulness of helping the customer; however, this is nothing more than a strategy to ensure you are working for the benefit of the executives, nothing further. It sounds like you’re helping people and you are but beneath all plans of execution and deployment of this corporation lies the true company moniker, "how can you sacrifice yourself and sanity to make this company more money".

Work life Balance: There is none, just call in sick! And NO, you don’t need a doctor’s note unless it’s been more than two consecutive days out. Expect to make a lot of sacrifices. Requested days off are few and far between.

Promotions: Don’t count on making it in this company, unless you go corporate there’s really no chance of you having a sane lifestyle. The only promotional opportunities are if you get moved over to a different department, which you basically have no say over. There will be a message board stating where and what jobs are available; however, don’t plan on an easy transition or a dramatic pay increase, since the union contract got refurbished getting an increase in pay is like pulling teeth, plan on working for 20 years for an increase that’s actually worth it. Good luck!

This company is like the Titanic and shares the same fate! The profit margins are tiny and the managerial attitudes match that. Leaders should be able to lead their work force, not demand or develop a demonizing lackluster of a personality. Not every manager was this way, there were a few that I thought were great leaders, however, they of course will go unnoticed and unappreciated while the jerks get promotions and climb the corporate latter.

A few key points to management:

#1 Hire people who know how to lead not just people who have been there the longest. That’s what’s wrong with the promotional structure; it’s not built on efficiency, where it definitely should be. This leads to problems with management not effectively allocating their work force properly, which thus in turn leads to work not being finished or done improperly.

#2 Stop micro problem solving everything. I’ve gotten written up for clocking in late 1 min past my scheduled shift, and for using the restroom when I wasn’t on my break. I wonder how much money was wasted by the leaders of this company lecturing me on how I’m wasting company time. Last time I checked this wasn’t prison, but hey, you clearly don’t have a problem hiring managers who treat their employees this way. If they don’t do what you want, threaten to write them up and bully them! Great strategy!!

#3 Understand the ratio of time and labor management. If someone is working on one project and is called to check or help out in another department, the former project is on hold and is not on schedule to be finished on time, so don’t expect the person involved to solve more projects than he/she is able to achieve. It’s not suitable and is unattainable. Simple logic.

In addition, hire more workers so that the ones that are working aren’t stretched to work 3 people’s jobs, which of course effects the outcome of customer service, which in turn effects sales and then leads to more cuts in labor, which then leads to more cuts and more cuts and then bankruptcy. It’s a vicious circle and it’s poison.

#4 Empower your employees to give a damn, because they clearly don’t. Every luckys in the bay area has the same depressed workers who obviously hate working there because the entire corporate philosophy is built on just doing their job and making money. There’s no community involvement, there’s no team meetings, or training programs. Management hates their job and by extension, hates everyone they work with. Honestly, workers go there for a pay check, that’s all they care about, nobody is excited to work there.

#5 It’s obviously that not a lot workers are hired for their intelligence, or a high school diploma for that matter. Half the work force can even speak English properly. You might want to fix that.

Trying to be Competitive but decision making is holding them back

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Modesto, CA

I worked at Save Mart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent Benefits
    Weekly Pay for all Employees
    Some good folks to work with

Cons

Management is very "Style X" - fear driven, rude
    No Disaster Recovery Contingency which creates chaos during outages
    Poor decisions on systems and hardware/software purchases which cause a lot of issues and cost the company a lot of money when they go down
    No advancement opportunity
    No pay increases
    Bad Location - IT is by Airport District in Modesto and it's very bad
    Old fashioned dress code

Weed out your senior management - do some proactive training to teach them that fear and rudeness is not the way to provide an extraordinary experience to your employees - which then does not translate to your customers.

Think about opportunity cost - the amount of money spent on support and lost on lack of productivity is astounding - if you are going to implement something do it right to start with. Don't play catch up after the system has been put in place. If you are trying to be competitive to the customers, stop spending so much on damaged processes.

Don't put lipstick on a pig - this company is very old-fashioned in many ways and if you just keep dressing it up without a true culture shift, all you are doing is spinning your wheels

Fixing the software/hardware issues will increase the work/life balance satisfaction of your employees - having a team get up everyday at 3:30 am to monitor an automated process because there is a glitch the vendor can't seem to fix is not productive for anyone.

Show your employees genuine appreciation - make a real employee discount to encourage them to shop your stores.

An amazing company with even more amazing people.

I worked at Save Mart

Pros

Definitely the people. The way the it department is a team.

Cons

Always behind the eight ball.

Dont be so secretive.

Vacaville Distribution Center.

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Vacaville, CA
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Vacaville, CA

I worked at Save Mart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

decent pay and decent equipment, at the distribution center.

Cons

Actual store equipment, mostly substandard and in disrepair.
    snake pit, Management, always trying to write you up.
    Its as though they get points, for doing so, confusing
    to say the least. Team Work doesn't really exist, except for on
    the pallet dock. DON'T GET HURT ON THE JOB, YOU'LL BE
    STRATEGICALLY TERMINATED, LIKE ME~!!!

Become Union, like the rest of us and stop the
    hostile write ups...Its good you did they did away
    with the performance incentive pay, it makes you unsafely hurry
    to keep up and ahead of schedule..Others learned to manipulate
    the incentive paperwork system, bilking easy money from it, not
    actually earning it. Lastly, but Foremost, GET RID OF PEGASUS RISK
    FOR A WORK COMP. INSURANCE COMPANY....Pegasus will get you
    terminated, instead of getting you back to work~!! CEO must know
    how Pegasus treats Injured Savemart Employees....
    Others have been terminated
    by Pegasus, besides me~!!!
    do a google search on pegasus terminates savemart employee(s)

Conservative company, fumbling desperately while trying to reinvent itself.

Current Employee - Manager In Corporate in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Manager In Corporate in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Save Mart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits plan, and standard policies for sick leave, vacations, etc. Family business, so not a slave to trying to make the quarterly reports look good. Is in it for the long haul.

Cons

Promotions are as rare as lottery winners, with most positions going to outside applicants. No succession planning, no bonuses, no raises. A conservative company, that feels stuck in the 1950s, Yes-Men, Good ol'boys mindset. Uses fear to motivate, not incentives. There's a feel of a company in its winter years, trying frantically to adjust to a marketplace it doesn't quite understand.

Change starts at the top, not at the bottom. There must be buy in at all levels.

Old Baby Boomers, Old Technology, and Major Management Problems.

I have been working at Save Mart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Good Starter place
    - Good People
    - Benefits packages have changed, but are still decent

Cons

- Pay is way below standard for all levels
    - Benefits packages have changed
    - Middle Management needs a ton of work

Value your employee's

Not worth the effort!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Save Mart

Pros

Most co-workers are nice, and they pay a little more than minimum wage.

Cons

You dont have to work here long before you see the true nature of this company, they dont care at all about employees! Management treats you like a tool, just another person thats replaceable, the hours are unpredictable and based on wether youre good at sucking up. My advice, go back to school!

Appreciate every employee and treat them like a human being, say encouraging words to keep up marale.

Average company with potential

Former Employee - Service Specialist in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Service Specialist in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Save Mart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of coworkers, Paid time off, able to work flexible hours if part time, and weekly pay checks.

Cons

management needs more leadership training , lack of control of your weekly schedule

awesome place to work

Former Employee - Meat Clerk in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Meat Clerk in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Save Mart part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was a fun place to work.good benefits,union job loved the customer service . I also shopped there

Cons

Could use more full time jobs and maybe some new freezers.oh and also more checkers

listen more to your employees.they have good advice