Save-On Foods

Updated Mar 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Pattison

Fun place to work but demanding

Grocery Clerk (Current Employee)
White Rock, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Save-On Foods full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood working environment. Great company that does a lot of good work in the community and is a leader in the industry for sustainable practices. Very nice stores.

ConsStarting rates are low. Difficult union to work with (UFCW 1518). Two-tiered wage system. High productivity targets are challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management seems to change their mind too often. Stick with your vision. Productivity targets are unreasonable.

stressful.

Deli Clerk (Former Employee)
Prince George, BC (Canada)

I worked at Save-On Foods part-time for less than a year

Prosit was good in the sense that you get what you sign up for. very structured, 15 minute break every 2 hours. half hour break after 3 hours. you clock in and you clock out. you are not expected to work a minute overtime.

ConsThe job is stereotype union job. Seniority driven. it takes years to get the shifts you want and booking time of is next to impossible.

Great team to work with!

Deli Clerk (Former Employee)

I worked at Save-On Foods part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule, lots of shifts, rank advancement, decent management, employees are generally happy working there.

ConsUnion rules, lots of people losing out on shifts because of seniority, Deli and meat dept. possibly losing their union to become part of the rest of the store's union, meaning that you could be put to work in ANY department. Not flexible with people who have limited availability (like myself) and can only work evening shifts.

Mundane yet good experience

General Clerk (Current Employee)
Cranbrook, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Save-On Foods part-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly people, cross-training, union, room for growth, consistent raises, staff is treated like family, always food in the staff room to eat.

ConsNot very exciting, same job day in and day out, inconsistent hours to start (although once cross-trained that shouldn't be a problem)

A good place to work if you need flexible employment.

Cashier (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Save-On Foods part-time for more than a year

ProsThe Save On Foods I work at tries to accommodate student employees due to it's location on a university campus which is helpful as a student who works, because it is sometimes difficult to find flexible employment.

ConsThere is a lack of clarity and communication to part time employees about everything from the effects of a new union contract to weekly promotions and sales which is frustrating because I am not there every day to receive information and often miss out on important or helpful information as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter and more respectful communication with employees. There should not be an expectation that we will know everything and be able to handle every problem if we don't receive proper information or training to do so.

Fair pay, great benefits, indecisive leadership with no clear direction

Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at Save-On Foods part-time for more than 3 years

Prosexcellent benefits, good pay, friendly staff

Consvague job description,poor training,multiple bosses lead to confusing direction

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed clear direction for company overall,consistent training,specific job descriptions,one approachable leader.

Save on foods

Produce Assistant (Current Employee)
Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Save-On Foods full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe pay at the time was ok .The working atmosphere was ok at times .I medical benefits was ok and the dental plan was ok.

ConsThe management was always on your back and you never have a chance to get ahead of your work because there was always to much to do .

I have learned and grown a lot during my time with the company, skills I am itching to take with me to a better employer

Assistant Deli Manager (Current Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Save-On Foods full-time for more than a year

ProsYou will meet a lot of great people and there is a lot of room to climb the ladder if you are a hard worker.

ConsThe reason you can climb the ladder quickly is because there is a desperate lack of viable candidates to move into middle management because of the poor compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in better training. Make your hard working employees feel valued and appreciated. Employment turnover wouldn't be so brutal if the pay were better. Stop trying to squeeze more out of fewer staff. All of it adds up to overworked, overstressed, underpaid, underappreciated employees who have little reason to be loyal. Therefore the company is constantly having to hire new staff and train them. I can't help but wonder how much productivity they are losing because of their shortsightedness.

Feel like I wasted 13 years of my life. Under-compensated for doing a department mgr job without the benefits or securit

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee)
Saanich, BC (Canada)

I worked at Save-On Foods full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFun people to work with

ConsUnder-compensated for doing a department mgr job without the benefits, the union is useless. When I started, I worked in the Floral department. There had been a buy-out of hours and the classification of junior clerk was born. When I originally started there, the department had 5 employees. By the time I left, it was just down to me, myself and I. This job was just supposed to help get me through my year long course at a community college, not become my 'career', but that's another story. As a junior clerk, I was only supposed get 20 hours a week, and the Health Spending Account was a bonus, ( compensation for not having full-fledged benefits); and scheduling was flexible. That changed over time when the union contract changed and the pay classification changed to 'pay-grid A and pay-grid B'. The junior clerk and the 'pre-rats' became polarized and the 'pre-rats' or 'pre-ratification' employees got everything they wanted at the expense of the junior clerks in the new contract. Then my department manager messed up a wedding order, called in sick the next day, dumped the mess in my lap, took a stress leave for the next four months, came in quietly at the end of those four months and signed an 'I quit' form, to which I wasn't notified about until a month later when it was official. For the next six years, I ran the department, training new employees,who came and went, doing the orders, the ordering of product...Everything the department manager did, except the scheduling; that was done by the produce manager to whom I reported to. I complained to the union rep that this wasn't fair, but he said the company could make me do all this and not be properly compensated. So that made me sour towards this company. I had 40 hours a week for all of those six years, but no benfits or any of the of things, like being paid my holiday pay WHEN I would have taken holidays. That's one thing that the company did that made no sense. Pre-rats got their holiday pay when they took their holidays, whereas the junior clerks had to wait until March of the following year to get their holiday pay....
I finally reached the bottom of 'pay-grid A' when the company offered everyone in 'pay-grid A' a buy-out'. The previous month, I had received a letter from the arbitrator stating that I deserved full time status after all the years I had put in and the six years that I was working 40-hour weeks. I was granted the status on a Friday. The following Monday, it was rescinded 'due to the department not able to financially support' a full time employee because of dwindling sales, and the department hours were going to be cut back. This was because of the head office's floral department buyer making really bad buying decisions and was too obstinate to accept criticism from all the stores saying that her buying decisions were not the best). Plus, I could not work in another area as the company didn't allow 'double-dipping'. So, when the buy-out letter came along, I took the offer. Who knew that in the following two years another buy-out was offered for a whole lot more money than what I was offered.... I probably should have stayed and grinned and beared it, considering where I am now, at a ho-hum job, with the same amount of aggravation, less hours and a lot less pay... Also, there were at least two people that had reached full-time status in their department in a fraction of the time that I was there.

When I look back at my tenure there, there was a time when I did really enjoy the job and the people in the department and I actually thought I had landed on my feet with a great job, but the company eroded that over time... *sigh*

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't jerk your employees around and you'll get loyalty. You used to be a great company to work for and then it all fell apart.

Communication problems and disorganization around every corner.

General Clerk (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Save-On Foods part-time for less than a year

Pros- Friendly management. They're all willing to do their best to help you learn. They're patient, and fun, but firm at the same time.
- Most co-workers are young, fun, and easy to get along with.
- Job can be quite fun/rewarding at times when you work with customers.

Cons- Lack of communication. I honestly can't count the number of mis-communications that have occurred during my month here so far. Oh, and about the 3 weeks in advance scheduling? Was told, "you'll receive next week's schedule come next week". Ridiculous.
- Overworked and underpaid. Although the tasks aren't all that bad, the sheer volume you're expected to achieve is a little ridiculous. But hey, I guess it's better than nothing.
- No stable hours. Shift-work is the only option for a long while, apparently. Full-time status not granted until several years down the road. It shouldn't be so hard to get a relatively stable part-time schedule.
- HUGE employee base. Everyone is hired. Lots have no care for the company or their job, meaning you have to do more work. Staff rotates around like crazy... Speaks volumes as to the general attitude in the workplace. Half have no idea what they're doing.
- Hardly any employee benefits aside from insurance, which is even negated if you're a student.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of hiring everyone who applies, try to screen people out. By hiring every person, you kill the workplace morale, and you screw workplace productivity.

It'd be worth your while to hire 2-3 dedicated, enthusiastic employees vs. 10-15 people who spend half their shift standing around on their cell phones. A huge employee base makes it hard to keep the workplace personalized in any way, which is important for both parties.

Worked for Save-On Foods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Save-On Foods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Save-On Foods CEO Jim Pattison. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Save-On Foods employees.