Save the Children
www.savethechildren.org Westport, CT 1000 to 5000 Employees

Save the Children Reviews

Updated May 28, 2014
Save the Children – Sanghar – “Community Meeting”

Save the Children President & CEO Carolyn S. Miles

Carolyn S. Miles

Pros:
  • "Work / life balance is improving with the arrival of new CEO"
    in 3 reviews
  • "nice working environment, laid-back, well-respected organization"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management--lots of changes"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Leadership is completely lacking, and individuals at a Director or VP level shun decision making"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Things Will Not Change until Top Management Changes

Pros- build professional relationships with most of the people I work with;
    - flexibility of work schedule [usually] when there are emergencies with family/kids;

Cons- it seems the finance department is a mess, there is a lack of leadership. When you have folks in management roles for 20-30 years, innovation and change go out the window - no, these aren't even allowed at the door. Many new people come in, but they are also the first to leave. Either these "lifers" need to switch to another department for a while or start an exchange program with other NGOs, to get some fresh blood in there, but nothing will change until the senior finance folks change - and sadly, it doesn't look like any of 'em will leave soon. Westport isn't exactly the HUB for NGOs, ya know. Forget it if you are a woman! The top finance folks will use the passive-agressive behaviour technique to force you out. You could have great ideas, but if the senior managers are the ones responsible for the idea: forget it. B-Level managers DO NOT hire A-level staff here. It's more like C-level managers though and they ain't hiring anyone who will outshine or outperform them.
    - Get rid of the conflicts of interest and nepotism. This ain't a family business. Husbands and wives working in the same department - come on. Uncles, cousins, sister-in-laws being hired or brought in from overseas? There are many many qualified Americans who can do the work.. Oh yeah, it makes it hard to have a disagreement with a co-worker if her husband is your boss: can you say conflict of interest????!!! Cut the nepotism and put a conflict of interest policy in place
    - Lack of transparency: people are given promotions or new positions without a new position being advertised. As for hiring, if you are in a clique, don't worry about applying for new positions because you can earn a new position even if you aren't qualified. you just have to be in the "clique."
    - Lack of follow up from HR when one interviews for a position. You usually find out from the Announcment Page when someone has been hired for a position for which you were interviewed. HR needs to get back to candidates BEFORE announcing who has been selected to fill a position.
    - Lack of direction with this whole Save the Children International thing - there has been such a lack of communication from mangement downwards; lack of planning; there are plans in place, but the senior management doesn't want to share with staff - like they feel empowered by holding information. Managers don't work with employees to get them into other positions (probably cause they are looking at protecting their own jobs)
    - Performance Evaluations - they have a quota of how many people can get each rating. So regardless of how highly your supervisor may think of your performance, if the senior managers don't want you to get a high rating, you ain't gonna get it. year after year, my supervisor comes back to apologize that his/her evaluation of me what rejected because the rating was too high.
    - Misuse of funds - when you see photos of children who look like they are starving, don't think all your donations reach them...there are $60,000 + vehicles being purchased for employee use to take their children to/fm the private schools or $4,200/month homes being rented, swimming pools that need to be cleaned; best thing is to designate your contributions to a specific cause

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the "lifers" those who've been there for 15 years + get some outside world experience or move them to another department.

Cut the "bring your spouse/cousin/nephew/uncle/son" to work policy. They can come visit, but let one of them stay, not both. It's not good for morale, business.

Have an open, transparent hiring/promotion practice. HR recruiters need to get back to candidates with solid feedback or honesty in terms of what a supervisor is looking for/why candidate not selected.

Absolutely Awsome

ProsFrom the people you are brought to work with, the enthusiasm generated by the job to the always exciting work to be done, Save the Children UK is a fantastic organisation to work for.

ConsProbably the pay, as an intern.

Working with Save the Children in Food Security and Livelihoods

Foold Security and Livelihoods Community Mobilization Officer (Current Employee)
    Sanghar (Pakistan)

ProsSave the Children is one of the leading non profit organization working for the child rights in 160 countries for the last 75 years. So I really like to serve Save the Children for the better future of children.

ConsI love my work..... so I don't think so

Advice to Senior ManagementMust arrange some more capacity building trainings.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

excellent

Medical Officer (Former Employee)
    Jacobābād (Pakistan)

Prosi was work with save the children about 4 months and it was best learning period of my job expeirence with save the children.

Consvery best working style and learning period of my job

Advice to Senior Managementi think there should be start family planning awareness programme in anterior sind.

i found very puctual n commeted organization

Foold Security and Livelihoods Community Mobilization Officer (Former Employee)
    Rājanpur, Punjab (Pakistan)

Prosi like team work there.

Consnothing to write bcoz save the children never let dwon his employee

its good to work here as it facilitate their employ as much as they can

Muac Assistant (Current Employee)
    Muzaffargarh (Pakistan)

Prosgood working enviornment
    professional attitude of staff

Consjob insecurity
    some time hectic to work in distant areas

Advice to Senior Managementprovide some job securities

Very professional and friendly environment

Documentation Or Computer Related (Former Employee)
    Multān (Pakistan)

ProsSave the Children fights for children’s rights. It deliver immediate and lasting improvements to children’s lives worldwide.

Conssave the children provide Short Contractual job.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould to adjust the ex-employees at any project

Response to applications

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome very dedicated people, particularly national staff in country.

ConsNone, never, one of the worst. If one applies through the website the automated response does not even confirm the specific job applied for. It's a basic, impersonal, screw you response. They do not follow-up at all.

i have good and very learning experience with this organization

Food Security and Livelihoods Community Mobilization Officer (Current Employee)
    Mīrpur Khās (Pakistan)

Prosthe objective and vision of this organization is upto my satisfication, thisorganization is working atmost vournable families and all sectors are working very loyality.

Consat emergency stages, we provide aidsto the vournable families, instead of this if we provide them skilles and training they can utilized their local resources to start alternative small business to sustain their livelihoods,

Advice to Senior Managementi m working under the policies of country level managment and internationallevel managment, but if policies made with grassroots level, which help in implimentation of projects activities.

An excellent child rights and child safe guarding organization

Prosgood working environment, peer support, good benefits

ConsAway from family sometimes as some positions are unaccompanied

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advise

Worked for Save the Children? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Save the Children reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Save the Children CEO Carolyn S. Miles. All 50 reviews posted anonymously by Save the Children employees.