Save the Children International

3.6

Save the Children International CEO Jasmine Whitbread
Jasmine Whitbread

Great place to work

I worked at Save the Children International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with multiple partner organisations and dynamic work environment

Cons

There was no major problem

Interesting and challenging work.

I worked at Save the Children International

Pros

I was able to grow as a researcher because of the challenges involved working with an international team and in an unfamiliar environment.

Cons

Communication and direction can be difficult given the sheer number of projects being worked on. Felt like the research was not being done as thoroughly as it should have been.

highly beneficial for professional growth

I worked at Save the Children International

Pros

learning capacity, career growth, development

Cons

management hiring issues, some times lack of awareness

hiring/promotions on merit

Proceed with Caution - Know What You Are Getting Yourself Info Before You Commit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Save the Children International

Pros

The work is very engaging, and is both dynamic and rewarding

The organisation attracts a high level of great, specialised expertise

Most people are in the job for the greater good and are therefore very passionate and dedicated about what they do and are eager to contribute and help where and when they can (if capacity is not an issue)

Experience can be dictated by department. In my experience and what I have noticed in late hours in the office is that IT and Logistics tend to be very overworked and in the office during very late hours. Finance and HR seem to leave at normal hours. Staff working for and with international staff in all departments are expected to work long hours to account for the difference in timezone. I would advise that you be clear on the expectation of your role and department before taking a job with Save because work/life balance can be either very good or non-existent depending on what you are accountable for and/or the competency of your management line. I would ask many questions in your interview of what your deliverables/expectations are, and stick to that, and remind management/HR of your original commitment if it becomes a problem (see cons)

Location of office behind Trafalgar Square is good for after work hours activities, including many movie premiers (though due to the cons below I very rarely took advantage of this!)

Cons

The organisation/senior leadership oversells/overcommits itself, and then expects their staff to pick up the slack. The further down the management line you go, the worse the pressure is. "Pressure" is a word that is used a great deal at Save. As a result, staff members get burnt out and leave. For many, work/life balance is non-existence and people often go on sick leave and have physical, mental and emotional health problems. The rate of turnover both in London and in country is extremely high and has a great impact on teams and the end result of all initiatives / projects. I have heard that experience at a Save the Children member (such as SC US, SC UK or SC Denmark) is remarkably different. Note that SCI is a young organisation, as it is part of a wider re-organisation effort to unify all the individual members.

Because of the overcommitment, getting capacity from people not under your direct control can be excrutiatingly difficult. People will often do anything to get out of additional work and/or making a decision - not because they don't care but because they do not have clear priorities because they have been asked to do too much. There is a big problem with "lip service" where people say they will do something, then do not do it (especially if they are not accountable).

It may seem trite but the office space is not adequate. This makes planning for collaborative sessions very difficult, and at the last minute impossible. They have a "hot desking" approach which means that many staff have to find a new seat daily which can be annoying when you have alot to do in the morning. I have sometimes switched desks twice a day which was very distracting. If the office is busy, there is no where to take a private phone call - and if they hold a training or seminar collaborating with your peers is logistically very difficult. It's also an open plan office with too many people, and is not a very conducive environment for "heads down" work. Senior leadership get defensive when you raise this as an issue, and expect you to put in hours to make up for the lack of ability to collaborate due to both office space issues and lack of capacity and turnover issues. The good news is that most managers do allow for some work from home for desk work, however you may find yourself on the phone and wishing you had just gone in. Many people agree with me in that actual office environment is a very stressful place.

Care about your staff, and be clear on what you can and can't deliver as an organisation. Be clear and make decisions on what your staff's priorities are. The only way to make a difference is to keep competent staff to create and complete important life-saving initiatives.

Nauru Program

I worked at Save the Children International

Pros

People are highly motivated, friendly and very ethical towards their role. There are a number of opportunities you can gain around working in development programmes. Salary is good.

Cons

Some of the challenges are the FIFO lifestyle and its impact on work life balance. Low opportunities for training and self development.

Consider how staff advocate and their responsibilities. Consider initiating some form of training and development for everyone.

Community mobilization

Current Employee - Community Mobilization Officer in Yambio (Sudan)
    Current Employee - Community Mobilization Officer in Yambio (Sudan)

I have been working at Save the Children International as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Job related to specialization.
    Former experience.
    skill in mobilization

Cons

Diverse organization with very many employees.
    Too many employees and it take long for new employees to get to familiarize with others.

Proper new employee's orientation.

Great place to work where young talent is nurtured and developed

Current Employee - Communications Coordinator in Nairobi (Kenya)
    Current Employee - Communications Coordinator in Nairobi (Kenya)

I have been working at Save the Children International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning environment
    Good work environment

Cons

Too many transitions and mergers

Rewarding - but need to be clearer about who they are and what they stand for

I have been working at Save the Children International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Incredibly rewarding, attracts some of the best people in the world to work there, making a fundamental difference to children's lives

Cons

Constantly restructuring, senior management unable to make consistent decisions, too overly concerned about political opinion to run campaigns that really create change.

Consider who we are and what we stand for - we should be less concerned about being popular with politicians and more concerned about creating change for those who really need it

The Vietnam office has many internal management and funding problems

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Hanoi (Vietnam)
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Hanoi (Vietnam)

I worked at Save the Children International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly colleague, easy going environment, good cook for lunch at office, good for some fresh graduates seeking for English speaking environment but cannot get into a proper corporate one.

Cons

Unprofessional staffs, decrease in international funding, managers lack of management capacity, highly politics in some department and in senior management level.

Transparent with finance, improve internal management and effectiveness in project implementation

Unorganized--but because of that, you feel like you taught yourself a lot, and you learn from it.

Former Employee - Monitoring and Evaluation Intern in Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Former Employee - Monitoring and Evaluation Intern in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at Save the Children International as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

In hindsight, as an Intern, I realized that because things didn't go as planned and I was stuck in the middle of it trying to complete everything--I learned a lot myself trying to manage things.

Cons

Very unorganized, has a "doing good" mentality...but doesn't really go above and beyond. I don't know if the team I worked with is actually PASSIONATE about their work...rather they were just "completing tasks"...if that makes sense. It feels like they are just trying to satisfy their donors..so the report "must be good".

Save the Children International Photos

Shops at the bottom of Scotch Street (Photo thanks to Geograph user Rose and Trev Clough, Some Rights Reserved)
The British Hatter and STC, Bath (Photo thanks to Geograph user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo