Save the Children International

3.4

Save the Children International CEO Jasmine Whitbread
Jasmine Whitbread

Great place to work

I worked at Save the Children International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with multiple partner organisations and dynamic work environment

Cons

There was no major problem

Interesting and challenging work.

I worked at Save the Children International

Pros

I was able to grow as a researcher because of the challenges involved working with an international team and in an unfamiliar environment.

Cons

Communication and direction can be difficult given the sheer number of projects being worked on. Felt like the research was not being done as thoroughly as it should have been.

Great!

Former Employee - Field Coordinator in Tacloban, Tacloban (Philippines)
    Former Employee - Field Coordinator in Tacloban, Tacloban (Philippines)

I worked at Save the Children International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

All, salary, benefits, work environment

Cons

none. everything is great and cool

Volunteer during school

Former Employee - Volunteer
    Former Employee - Volunteer

I worked at Save the Children International part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I volunteered for save the children while I was in high school. Overall my fellow volunteers were friendly and the senior staff very committed.

Cons

Standing around on the street asking strangers for money eventually gets tiresome.

Try and make sure everybody pulls their own weight.

Great Starter for beginning ones career

Current Employee - Officer
    Current Employee - Officer

I have been working at Save the Children International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and environment to work under

Cons

Hectic working hours and mercurial job nature at times

highly beneficial for professional growth

I worked at Save the Children International

Pros

learning capacity, career growth, development

Cons

management hiring issues, some times lack of awareness

hiring/promotions on merit

N/A

Former Employee - Volunteer in Accra (Ghana)
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Accra (Ghana)

I worked at Save the Children International

Pros

you work with people you can learn and you also have fun. everyday you will learn and that is so good because you also grow personally

Cons

you work on challenging project and it enhance your leadership skills which also help you to build a better career. working different people with different will help you know different cultures

Work hard

Proceed with Caution - Know What You Are Getting Yourself Info Before You Commit

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Save the Children International

Pros

The work is very engaging, and is both dynamic and rewarding

The organisation attracts a high level of great, specialised expertise

Most people are in the job for the greater good and are therefore very passionate and dedicated about what they do and are eager to contribute and help where and when they can (if capacity is not an issue)

Experience can be dictated by department. In my experience and what I have noticed in late hours in the office is that IT and Logistics tend to be very overworked and in the office during very late hours. Finance and HR seem to leave at normal hours. Staff working for and with international staff in all departments are expected to work long hours to account for the difference in timezone. I would advise that you be clear on the expectation of your role and department before taking a job with Save because work/life balance can be either very good or non-existent depending on what you are accountable for and/or the competency of your management line. I would ask many questions in your interview of what your deliverables/expectations are, and stick to that, and remind management/HR of your original commitment if it becomes a problem (see cons)

Location of office behind Trafalgar Square is good for after work hours activities, including many movie premiers (though due to the cons below I very rarely took advantage of this!)

Cons

The organisation/senior leadership oversells/overcommits itself, and then expects their staff to pick up the slack. The further down the management line you go, the worse the pressure is. "Pressure" is a word that is used a great deal at Save. As a result, staff members get burnt out and leave. For many, work/life balance is non-existence and people often go on sick leave and have physical, mental and emotional health problems. The rate of turnover both in London and in country is extremely high and has a great impact on teams and the end result of all initiatives / projects. I have heard that experience at a Save the Children member (such as SC US, SC UK or SC Denmark) is remarkably different. Note that SCI is a young organisation, as it is part of a wider re-organisation effort to unify all the individual members.

Because of the overcommitment, getting capacity from people not under your direct control can be excrutiatingly difficult. People will often do anything to get out of additional work and/or making a decision - not because they don't care but because they do not have clear priorities because they have been asked to do too much. There is a big problem with "lip service" where people say they will do something, then do not do it (especially if they are not accountable).

It may seem trite but the office space is not adequate. This makes planning for collaborative sessions very difficult, and at the last minute impossible. They have a "hot desking" approach which means that many staff have to find a new seat daily which can be annoying when you have alot to do in the morning. I have sometimes switched desks twice a day which was very distracting. If the office is busy, there is no where to take a private phone call - and if they hold a training or seminar collaborating with your peers is logistically very difficult. It's also an open plan office with too many people, and is not a very conducive environment for "heads down" work. Senior leadership get defensive when you raise this as an issue, and expect you to put in hours to make up for the lack of ability to collaborate due to both office space issues and lack of capacity and turnover issues. The good news is that most managers do allow for some work from home for desk work, however you may find yourself on the phone and wishing you had just gone in. Many people agree with me in that actual office environment is a very stressful place.

Care about your staff, and be clear on what you can and can't deliver as an organisation. Be clear and make decisions on what your staff's priorities are. The only way to make a difference is to keep competent staff to create and complete important life-saving initiatives.

Nauru Program

I worked at Save the Children International

Pros

People are highly motivated, friendly and very ethical towards their role. There are a number of opportunities you can gain around working in development programmes. Salary is good.

Cons

Some of the challenges are the FIFO lifestyle and its impact on work life balance. Low opportunities for training and self development.

Consider how staff advocate and their responsibilities. Consider initiating some form of training and development for everyone.

Community mobilization

Current Contractor - Community Mobilization Officer in Yambio (Sudan)
    Current Contractor - Community Mobilization Officer in Yambio (Sudan)

I have been working at Save the Children International as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Job related to specialization.
    Former experience.
    skill in mobilization

Cons

Diverse organization with very many employees.
    Too many employees and it take long for new employees to get to familiarize with others.

Proper new employee's orientation.

Save the Children International Photos

Shops at the bottom of Scotch Street (Photo thanks to Geograph user Rose and Trev Clough, Some Rights Reserved)
The British Hatter and STC, Bath (Photo thanks to Geograph user Jaggery, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo