Save the Children International

Be The First To
Add Photos

Save the Children International CEO Jasmine Whitbread

Jasmine Whitbread

Interesting and challenging work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Save the Children International

ProsI was able to grow as a researcher because of the challenges involved working with an international team and in an unfamiliar environment.

ConsCommunication and direction can be difficult given the sheer number of projects being worked on. Felt like the research was not being done as thoroughly as it should have been.

Unorganized--but because of that, you feel like you taught yourself a lot, and you learn from it.

Monitoring and Evaluation Intern (Former Employee)
Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at Save the Children International as an intern for less than a year

ProsIn hindsight, as an Intern, I realized that because things didn't go as planned and I was stuck in the middle of it trying to complete everything--I learned a lot myself trying to manage things.

ConsVery unorganized, has a "doing good" mentality...but doesn't really go above and beyond. I don't know if the team I worked with is actually PASSIONATE about their work...rather they were just "completing tasks"...if that makes sense. It feels like they are just trying to satisfy their donors..so the report "must be good".

Save the Children Canada - Toxic Office Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Save the Children International full-time

ProsThe organization itself is wonderful. The Canadian offices are confused and have a horrendous culture.

ConsThe office culture at Save Canada is terrible. The leadership is passive or inexperienced in proper management. Employees strongly dislike one another - The development team and the program team have extreme animosity.

There's little understanding in the senior leadership team of how to grow within the Canadian market from a multitude of perspectives. The same topics are circle talked with lack of direction and/or progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow what you're offering someone when offering them a position and be honest. It's disrespectful and unethical to put a professional in the position of accepting a role that isn't what was described nor the culture. You'd have a much lower turnover rate.

EDUCATE yourself on the industry that you're overseeing staff within so that you can have intelligent conversations about the direction of the organization, offer guidance and lead effectively.

It was a good working and learning opportunity

Programmer Staff (Former Employee)
Nairobi (Kenya)

I worked at Save the Children International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFriendly staff and working environement

ConsLack of consultation on pertinent issues in programming and poor remuneration for staff

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve staff more in decision making/seeking opinions before embarking on major decisions and improve general staff welfare, especially the salaries.

Burdened by its own potential, but holds the potential to unburden millions.

I have been working at Save the Children International full-time for more than a year

ProsVast highways of opportunities across the world to do just about anything you can think of for all the right reasons.

ConsBig can be slow, bureaucratic, risk averse and new can be more than a stumbling block to achieving the desired results.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the member politics and provide some clear programmatic and operational standards and procedures that focus on the core business. Manage senior management and invest in attracting and keeping staff at the country level.

Great mission, poor execution

Intern (Current Employee)
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)

I have been working at Save the Children International as an intern for less than a year

ProsNew structure under Save International is well thought out and increases organisational coherence. Great thought has been given to the mission and the programs, and it shows.

ConsLeadership. Not all managers know how to manage a team, and it really reduces the productivity of an otherwise awesome organisation

Advice to Senior ManagementYour job isn't just about externally recognised work. You need to support your employees to do their best work. Everyone, including management, benefits this way.

All the pros and cons of a large NGO.

Analyst (Current Employee)
Nairobi (Kenya)

I have been working at Save the Children International as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat staff. Huge resources. One of the biggest NGOs to work with which in itself is both good and bad. Many positions available.

ConsFar too much red tape and strict guidelines for the field they're in. They often try to do too much in too many sectors.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax the regulations. Increase compensation. Narrow programmatic focus.

A great learning experience

Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee)
Quetta (Pakistan)

ProsA supportive & dedicated team work

Conscommunication gap between line management & top management

Advice to Senior Managementneed for the strategic planning & its Implementation

I have 6 years of experiance in teaching mathematics and 1 1/12years of experiance as a registrar officer in D/markos un

Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)

I have been working at Save the Children International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI'm always interested in helping and treating the childen,I like to do with the organization.The best organization I like from all the organizations

Consthe organization is not widly working in rular areas even though it works every where

Advice to Senior Managementthe management should have a close contact with his workers

Learning,Transparency.

CMO (Current Employee)
Sanghar (Pakistan)

I have been working at Save the Children International as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsWorlds Leading independent org.i am working since two years,because i learned and utilize my skills for betterment of children,as we assume a perfect world in which children enjoy their rights openly with out any restrictions.so the quality we ensure being save the children employee,I have proud and i enjoy my job with every time sincerity.

Consi will share soon this.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs far As the management concerned,i advised to our direct and indirect line managers that from start till yet whatever we did,and whatever we are doing its perfect and idiol , because time by time every one ha their own experiences and every one are trying to give their best..

Worked for Save the Children International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Save the Children International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Save the Children International CEO Jasmine Whitbread . All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Save the Children International employees.