Savers
www.savers.com Bellevue, WA 5000+ Employees

Savers Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Ken Alterman

Pros:
  • "You support a deserving non-profit agency in your community"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Store level management and hourly team members are great to work with"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Some blatant discriminatory practices tolerated or encouraged by upper management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "At the branch I worked at there was high turnover"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Very good then VERY bad

Sales Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsYou meet very interesting people, at first it is sooo fun arounf the holidays and such really enjoyable but it is just like every other business because we support a non profit we are greedy. Happy place if you do not get involved with the politics then again we are located in california where everyone is trying to hutle and get their own. Good for a first job and maybe you get lucky and get promoted to hp or designated cashier but you could be in those positions for years.

ConsI have personally had to deal with some NASTY stuff such as human fecies and urine on multiple occasions. Being told to clean it up by a super visor because it is not technecally in their job description or something. They pay was above minimum wage! Until california law changed it to $9. But again very degrading, and unfair in many ways. Yeah we got a cool discount but we cannot purchase something until it has been on the floor for 48 hours. one frond end supervisor was older and talked down to the other younger supervisor it was really jealousy, she was young and making moves and such. It has a very fragile environment.
    Their is a lot of favoritism with hours and even feedbacks!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is so important for the managers as well as the supervisors to be on the same page with who is in charge! an FES should not try to take the plave of an RSM at all. They need to stay in their lane not only for themselves to become better but for the work environment to be happy and nuetral no taking sides. The frequent change in RSMs is a problem because of course if an FES has been there longer than the new rsm then they think they know more however they do not get paid to know more they get paid to be an FES and that is it.

You learn a lot and you're always on the go, this job keeps you on your toes.

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Worcester, MA

ProsI've learned a lot and also gained a lot of experience through this job as far as retail and customer service goes. The customers are very kind and gracious once they get to know you, and others are normally cranky or just regulars that you will see at least twice in one day.

ConsIt can get very stressful and tiring and sometimes, especially when we are understaffed for the night shift. Which means you would have to do double or triple the amount of work almost every night you'd close.

Hard work, fast pace and exhausting.great feeling when customers r happy with what u put out.

Production (Current Employee)
    Shawnee Mission, KS

ProsAfter giving all u can, it is a great feeling to hear and see the customers happy and buying what you have worked so hard to get to the floor for them.

ConsThey want a high amount of pieces to the floor in my department, when expecting to produce this, u can overlook the quality going out.i feel that quality is more important than numbers.u can put out 600 pieces a day, if not decent u sell less.u put out 400 to 500 pieces a day and sell 45 to 50 percent , that makes a good day, and this day also includes keeping the area shoppable.it can be a long 8 hrs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have to say that I have a great store manager who has been right with me when I have needed.also my district manager has been great help and our reginal manager is a help.i guess my area got the good bosses.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I Love my job!!!!!

Production Manager (Current Employee)
    Arcadia, CA

ProsFast pace, one of the easiest jobs I've had, boss is great,fun,schedule, I have a home life, personable, Halloween. Give to get program"I love it"

ConsNothing. Since I've been here, I won't lie ,I've tried to find something wrong but there's nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do!

No recognition!!!

District Manager (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsConsistency in feedback and performance expectations. Great talk!!! Nice benefit package and 401K plan. Advantage to the earth and environment. Supports local charities in tangible ways.

ConsNo walk of the talk...... Preach culture, but don't really execute or follow through. Training is rarely followed through on and accountability is driven at TM level, management is rarely held accountable.

Advice to Senior ManagementPays low for profits and responsibilities. This is a for profit organization that pays like a non-profit.. Don't be blind to that...

Exhausting work.

Production (Current Employee)
    Apple Valley, MN

ProsThe employee discount is nice and there is a good benefits package. Co-workers and customers are friendly and fun.

ConsThe pay is too low for such physically exhausting work. There is not enough space at my work station for the tasks I have to do. Also employees are constantly getting in one another's way. Management needs production numbers but is not capable of making it possible for employees to work efficiently. The company's core values are not actively practiced at my store.

Advice to Senior ManagementPrices are too high, product quality is too low. Stop putting out stained, torn and damaged items. Allow pricers to have more flexibility than is provided by the 1 through 5 system.

Moral plummets as quotas rise.

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsEmployee discount (when you can afford to shop) is excellent. Work with a variety of people from different backgrounds. Get to know regular customers and are able to joke around with them.

ConsThe quotas are astronomical, they expect one person to work their butt off and heaven help you if you get some help ( the quota almost doubles. Management is in sense a puppet factory ( absolutely no individuality or thinking for themselves)... I've heard the exact same instructions word for word from 4 different managers. It can be a challenge to say the least.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like the people they are and not just the number they can produce.

I would steer anyone away.

Production Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Eugene, OR

ProsPay is consistent. Turn over is high -- so there is always room for advancement.

ConsRelocating within the company resulted in a $6k reduction to salary; a salary which was already $6K under the median ($12K difference from the median). I spent 3 months in a hotel out of state to open new retail locations which results in record shattering sales. I also was awards the Red-to-black Award and the President's Award at two separate retail locations. I was a Production Supervisor (ie Assistant Store Manager) at 4 locations over the United states. My reduction in salary was not based on negative performance, but on deception from senior management. I was young, naive, and taken advantage of.

Savers was started as a mom and pop operation and in many ways still operates as such. Team-members and store management often become victims of sick retail management games. Measurement of metrics are often skewed and/or inflated. I would never in good conscience refer Savers / Value Village / TVI inc to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementRebuild your management model; to include ethics as a practice and not something you say. Operate as a publicly traded company and place value on your assets.

Negative and Hostile Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Arcadia, CA

ProsConvenient and Stable Work Scehdule

ConsUnorganized Management, Unethical Management and Employees,No clear instructions on how to do your job,

Advice to Senior ManagementThe manager of the production team is VERY unethical and abrasive. He screams at the employees to the point where its unbearable to watch and looks borderline violent. It seems as if he has an agenda and chip on his shoulder, and takes his emotions out on the employees.The rest of the management is not organized. They tell you to do a task one way and then they change the way an hour later. There is no clear rules on how to accomplish a task. Employees get switched around in roles very often so they can never get truly proficient at their job.

Miserable place to work

Production Assistant (Former Employee)
    Plymouth, MA

ProsCo-workers are friendly sometimes. No pros.

ConsIt's like working in a sweat shop/assembly line at minimum wage. Quotas are unreasonable. Very demanding work for little money.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet increases for your workers and work alongside them.

Worked for Savers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Savers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Savers CEO Ken Alterman. All 126 reviews posted anonymously by Savers employees.