Savers

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.4

Ken Alterman

Pros
  • it was a non profit donation center and a fun atomosphere (in 15 reviews)

• The employee discount is the only good thing to say about the company (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management (regional/district) ask respect of us, but can't give it back (in 14 reviews)

• Which means you would have to do double or triple the amount of work almost every night you'd close (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoy working here in my declining years

I have been working at Savers part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really like my coworkers. We all get along and work well together. Our local management really cares about us as individuals. The employee discount is great--50% off clothing, shoes, bed & bath, accessories and 30% off everything else. I only work part time so the work-life balance is fine with me. Management does its best to accommodate students' schedules.

Some reviewers have said this is a non-profit business. It isn't. It is a for-profit business and we donate a percentage of our money to selected non-profits in our local area. This is obviously agreeable to those non-profts or they would be running their own thrift stores.

Cons

Very poor communication skills from management. Nothing is ever in writing and I've never seen an employee handbook, although I think there is one. The Standards that we adhered to when I first started five years ago are slowing declining so the store is not as nice as it used to be. The number of employees has dropped but the same amount of work is expected to be done with fewer people.

Some employees are promised promotions that never materialize. This is not a problem for me since my ladder-climbing days are over and I am satisfied with the work I currently do.

We need a bigger building. Don't cram things out that there is no room for.

Great job for singles but not for people with families

Current Employee - Store Manager in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Orem, UT

I have been working at Savers

Pros

Active work that keeps you moving all day. Friendly employees.

Cons

Work every weekend and every holiday. 10-12 hour work days. Regional manager told all of management that savers has different pay categories for each district and that we're the lowest pay scale.

Be careful when you explain your pay structure to employees. It's hard to motivate employees when regional tells employees they're distict is lowest paid in the region.

uhhm

Current Employee - Production Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Savers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Health plan, good vacation/comp days for salaried employees

Cons

Poor working conditions, poor staff due to labor hours and minimum wage hiring.

Employees are great to work with. The work is different everyday which keeps it interesting

Current Employee - Production in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Production in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Savers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

health Insurance, on occasion we might receive a bonus.

Cons

Not a very family friendly company.

Learn how to be a people person, sarcasm and rudeness and degrading does not make an employee more productive.

Heading in the wrong direction!

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Savers

Pros

Really dedicated, hard-working team members!

Cons

Terrible work-life balance, no equity for middle management, upper management including District Managers out of touch with store operations.

Shrink the top and let store managers run their stores! Stop implementing untested initiatives intended to save money but in reality are ill-conceived and wasteful!

Decent Company could be Great Company

I have been working at Savers

Pros

There production work hours are great. The company offer fairly good benefits(401K, Ins, possible bonus).For the most part there are enjoyable coworkers.

Cons

When a store is struggling, I have seen a lack of guidance from upper management. Upper management overlooks laborers opinions, and there seems to be a lack of constant structure, management constantly changing, from the lack of support and stress, caused by upper management. Employees get overlooked due to lack of poor planning by upper management.

Lack of support on the manufacturing floor, hurts store numbers. If we cared a little bit less about efficiency, and more about taking care of the employees, we would see better results for put out and sales. Numbers are the name of the game you play in a market like thrift. But there should be a way to take care of employees better, and give them more support in the process.

dead end job

Current Employee - Production Assistant Floater in Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Production Assistant Floater in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Savers

Pros

you have a job you get a paycheck to pay bills

Cons

traditional retail they're better at managing numbers then they are managing people,not a lot of incentive to move forward unless you go along to get along no individual thought pinions just work like a robot.

use the open door policy as it should be used

Great customers, friendly co-workers, fun environment, heartless middle management

Current Employee - Production in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Production in Boise, ID

I have been working at Savers full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts, knowing that we are helping the community, loyal customers

Cons

Not family oriented, no flexibility in work schedules without consequences. Pay raises are based on corporate profits or losses not individual performances

Find a way to get operations and production on the same team. Be honest with new employees about how wage increases are determined.

It was fast to get hired, but low wages.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Clerk in South Jordan, UT
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Clerk in South Jordan, UT

I have been working at Savers part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is a relaxed environment with (mostly) friendly people. You know your responsibilities each day you work.

Cons

Minimum wage for work that other retail stores pay $11-$14 an hour for. Also, not very flexible in scheduling around college or other jobs.

Savers Response

Dec 12, 2014Corporate IT Recruiter

Thanks for the kind words about our culture and the clear communication on expectations. Admittedly, the scheduling around school schedules is challenging and not just at Savers. Even though you have ... More

A pass-the-buck environment

I have been working at Savers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I honestly can't think of any.

Cons

Employees forced to work too fast. One employee died unpacking a loaded gun from a bag of donations.

Replace yourselves with people with a heart.