Savi Technology

Savi Technology President & CEO William Clark
William Clark

Company on the upswing

I have been working at Savi Technology

Pros

Improved products, better focus. fair ownership group. Management team trying to do the right things.

Cons

Same as other companies. communication can be slow coming out of HQ. Transparency is not where it should be.

Add more timely communication to the employees, develop timelines for performance reviews and stick to the schedule.

Really strong outlook after some lean years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Savi Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of room for advancement at a company that seems poised to improve over the next few years. The new leadership seems to be very engaged with all employees and take comments from everyone seriously.

Cons

Tough to tell what the new owners will do with the company long term and how we all might fit into a merged company etc.

Keeping improving our product lines and growing the company.

It has been a mixed bag, but positive overall.

I have been working at Savi Technology full-time

Pros

Opportunities to earn promotions. Good people and work environment.

Cons

Poor management at times. Good people let go while dead weight is kept around.

We need to be creative and innovative. Most of our products are old and outdated.

Back in the Saddle!

Current Employee - Product Marketing
    Current Employee - Product Marketing

I have been working at Savi Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Revamped management team, most of the third-string players have been replaced with true professionals. It feels like a new company.

Cons

It's going to take a while for the market to understand all of the changes and to see Savi as more than RFID tracking of military cargo.

Making the Hard, Right Choices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Savi Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great sense of team, close knit family. 25 years of history. Company has been going through tough transition, which included closing Mt. View office and moving outside of Lockheed. Both moves were long overdue, but sometimes change is hard.

I recently left Savi but hold it in high regard.

Cons

residual impact of employees or ex employees who were stuck in the past.

See it through! Maybe look at a more regular process for employee communications.

Like a Jonnie Cash ring of fire - Down, Down, Down...

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Savi Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There was and still is some great technology this company has to offer and if / when a cohesive strategy is put in place to sell it again - it may well be a good company to work for...

Cons

Bills, Bills, Bills... Not only the ones we're struggling to pay, but the ones running the show.

Shifting the entire knowledge base from Singapore to India to the US and then again within the US... It didn't work well the first time; the second time worked as well as the first and guess what... third time wasn't lucky.

The vast majority of the talent has now been let go, fired or left of their own volition...

Will it be the Phoenix from the flames under new ownership?

Advice to management....? that's a funny one! They can't see what's in front of their noses and act on it. They certainly aren't going to listen to anything written here.

Used to be a great company to work for, now it's "just a paycheck"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Savi Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a good company that would treat employees decently under old management. That's about it. While it was fun, now it's just a sad place to be.

Cons

Most people learn from their mistakes. Clearly, this company doesn't. The company moves resources around the globe as much as some people change their socks, and has tried to jump into every new market they could think of, with products that aren't mature, or don't work right.

Management feels 30-60 days is more than enough time to transition an entire engineering team, and ALL product knowledge to a brand new team.

This used to be a good company to work for, now it's not. Don't put a sales exec in charge of a tech company, they just don't get it. Management is the sole reason this company is in decline, they don't get it.

Employee moral has been rock bottom for the last two years. I suppose that's what happens when you have a RIF every few months. Only decent thing left here is a pay check.

Listen to your employees, and learn from your mistakes. Anyone with a GED could tell you that trying to move 10+ years of experience with any product to a team that receives 2 months of training is the worst decision you could ever make. And you made it twice?

It's a job

I have been working at Savi Technology

Pros

Some of the pros are:
    The people are friendly
    Not much management at my location
    Flexible work hours for some people and can work remotely

Cons

Some of the cons are:
    Doesn't seem like management cares much. No real interest in career growth.
    They are gearing up to be purchased so the future is unknown

Hopefully things will be different after we get acquired. Please make sure the employees know if they have a job as soon as possible.

No Value Left Here, Everyone is Looking

I have been working at Savi Technology

Pros

It's a job for now.

Cons

In September the Savi executive leadership cut the last of the muscle out of the company to make the books look appealing to prospective VCs. All of our tribal engineering knowledge is gone. All of the product management capability is gone. We have no product road map nor any real ability to produce one. Our ability to innovate is severely hampered because we lack the resources with the proper experience. Pretty much every major business process is broken or no longer followed. Because of the lack of history, people and process, everyone is in firefighting mode. Executive values are suspect and morale is very low. The general consensus is that the guys at the top have no clue what they are doing technologically and are only out for themselves. Anyone thinking of buying this company should look very close. Buyer Beware.

To LM Management - Your first mistake was putting a salesman in as CEO in 2006. You didn't learn from that mistake and put another salesman in charge with the current CEO in 2011. Everyone in Silicon Valley knows you should never put a salesman in charge of a technology company.

Savi has been a great place to work for years, but is in decline

I have been working at Savi Technology

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Telecommuting
    Good coworkers
    Interesting technology
    I had an excellent boss from whom I learned a lot
    Good benefits

Cons

Lack of job stability
    Lack of corporate mission & vision
    Spreading resources too thin so it is difficult to do a good job; have to spend so much time being reactive that there is no time available to be proactive