Savills

Jeremy Helsby

Choose your own adventure

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Savills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership, freedom, collegiality, intellect, flexible work schedule

Cons

Cutthroat (industry problem), expensive health care, training

Maintain the great track record of recruiting likeminded professionals

Great people

I have been working at Savills

Pros

office culture, work-life balance, social group, honest workers, great office

Cons

benefits, no free food, perks, health insurance, responsibility

Intern

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Savills as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I interned in the Leasing department. It was a nice experience. The department had mostly young people, which is nice. I learned a lot, and it was not very stressful. THey were not too strict about the dress code either.

Cons

Sometimes I would just sit there and do nothing, even when I asked for more work to do. It was just an internship position so they obviously did not expect much. But once you do something, they expect perfection.

Gossipy, Self-involved Company with Poor Corporate Structure

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Savills full-time

Pros

International brand, decent starting salary, good benefits

Cons

High employee turnover, extremely unprofessional HR staff, poor attitude toward female employees, poor internal communication and no clear corporate structure within US offices. Management seemed more interested in spreading gossip and having affairs than actually working.

Communicate with employees, invest in their professional well being, leave personal issues out of your work.

Old boy network

I have been working at Savills

Pros

Some good social events, recognized company, established in the industry and respected

Cons

It's all about who you know and not what you know, v old boy with school ties

Stop being snobs!!

Rigid

I worked at Savills full-time

Pros

They are one of the biggest property service companies in the UK and so the exposure this can provide is good.

Cons

They pay the bottom end of any competitive wage specified in a job advert. Also, the graduate recruitment process is a joke, so many hurdles and some irritating questions like "why do you want to work in __(city)__"? Honestly Savills, London is one of the best cities in the world, surly it would be obvious why i want to work there. Plus wherever anyone wants to work they have already decided that for personal reasons so frankly let them be and don't ask such a redundant question!

There is very little interaction between the property departments, even though greater interaction would improve output.

Review the grad scheme application process- its nearly as bad as CBRE's. Pay more to your employees. Learn that property is a very multi-disciplinary industry, so remove the compartmentalised approach to every sub sector and improve departmental interaction.

Highly motivated professionals - for hard workers and entrepreneurs

Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Managing Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Savills full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity if you are willing to work hard and put your hand up for opportunities. There is little tolerance for underperformance or laziness so the company is highly profitable. Flat structure gives good level of access at all levels to engaged and interested managers

Cons

It's sink or swim - there's support, training and development available but no kidd gloves if you don't pull your weight or meet the expected standard

closer links to remuneration and performance for junior staff needed

Senior Analyst- Valuation Department Beijing

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Savills full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-People there are generally friendly

Cons

-Management was manipulative
    -The position had no future. Unless you were able to bring in business, your salary was forever stuck at a low level
    -A former boss of the department once told me that whatever I did, not to get married and have kids because in ten years I will only care about chasing after young women

Good but not for those without confidence

Current Employee - Associate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Savills full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the sharpest people I have ever worked with.
    Very commercial. Spot angles to make money in all sorts of ways.
    Company is social with some really good people.

Cons

Can get territorial.
    You have to be a strong character to survive and be entrepreneurial otherwise others will pick up any opportunities you miss.

They are doing a great job

Deliberately Misled by Graduate Recruitment Department

Former Contractor - Temporary Graduate Trainee in London, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Temporary Graduate Trainee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Savills as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Most of the surveyors I encountered were thoroughly decent, fair and personable individuals who I hope to keep in touch with. The Central London office is excellent.

Cons

They employed 7 graduates on 4 month contracts and implied to us that we would be considered for permanent positions. They allowed us to work incredibly hard for a meagre salary on the premise that there was a job at the end of it. At least one of us left a permanent position to join Savills and many of us took out leases on flats in London based upon these assurances. I also turned down similar internships at other companies leading to a permanent job based on their assurances. We were then told 3 weeks before the end of the contract that no permanent positions would be offered as they do not have the budget, regardless of our performance. In fact, one graduate was employed on a 4 month contract, told he would be extended on the Saturday after his last day and then received a phonecall on his last day saying he had no future at the company. The graduate recruitment team did their best to evade all our questions about our future whilst we were working there and were frosty and unhelpful. I would advise anyone considering joining Savills to demand all their promises in writing as the HR department have shown themselves to be deceitful.

Treat graduates respectfully, fairly and like human beings, not like a source of cheap labour who you can exploit. Communicate thoroughly and don't lie to people. The graduate recruitment policy is disgusting and completely morally repugnant and not what you would expect from an industry leader such as Savills.