ScanSafe Reviews

Updated September 26, 2014
2.7

John T. Chambers
1 Rating

ScanSafe - An industry leader that hasn't forgotten it's roots.

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ScanSafe

Pros

ScanSafe is a great change of pace from the mega enterprises i have worked for in the past in terms of sheer size. It's an amazing thing to every day be able to converse with the president and co-founder of the company, then walk over and see about how a huge deal is coming along with sales, then over to an engineer for an update on a project, and then go back to my own cube to work while looking at the Bay of San Francisco from my window.

If you have an idea, there is a direct process usually to speak directly with the people that can entertain the idea and ultimately take action upon it. It still has the "upstart" feel in that regard, even though we are now an industry leader in the field of SaaS security.

Cons

Being on the cutting edge, and always close to the core can be frightening for people who are used to the laxed atmosphere of checks and balances of a large enterprise operation. You are empowered here to the point that your actions can directly effect the flow of business on a day to day basis, which to some can be intimidating. To others, it's a perfect medium to flourish.

If you're not up for "drinking the kool-aid" of this business and really working towards the common goal of success, this is not going to be a good fit.

There are still a large number of jobs to be filled, but the amount of business we are doing is causing the people who do the hiring, to lose the ability to even take the time to hire more people. Though i guess in this economy, that is probably the best problem to have if you are going to have one.

ScanSafe: Great market. Needs real leadership, not idiots.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ScanSafe

Pros

The web security market is booming.

Cons

The management team is arrogant and incompetent and secretive.

Grow up. Understand that you don't know everything. Pay the commission that you say you will pay. Ripping off your own sales reps is counterproductive and unethical and just lame.

If you need a job and the money, work there to get your pay check, but get out the first chance you get.

Former Employee - Partner Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Partner Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ScanSafe

Pros

Working for a security company is beneficial these days. They have excellent partners (e.g. AT&T, Sprint and Google); however, it won;t be long before folks realize that the performance is not there for enterprise accounts and the SaaS security model... at least with ScanSafe.

Cons

Senior management does not have a clue and publicly humiliates subordiantes in front of peers and partners. Working diligently will get you no where. It's more about sounding confident than being honest. The president in the US believes he is the only one that can sell. They'll take large accounts away from PMs before they close and call them house accounts so they do not have to pay the PM on them. The president in the US sounds like a used car salesman. There is no accountability for anyone in the organization except for the sales organization. The pre-sales team decides what is important to work on. Support never answers the phone, no do they ever get back to customers or prospects, unless specifically told by the president. They have no accountability if accounts are lost due to support engagement within the sale.

To work as a team and not always try to scam people... work together. It does not have to be a good cop - bad cop scenario all the time. Listen and stop sounding like a used car salesman. Stop taking away your PM's clout in front of the partner, but then scold them for not having any clout. It takes a POM a year to gain the clout of the partner sales teams and 1 conversation for you to take it away and degrade them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So much potential wasted.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ScanSafe

Pros

Web Security is hot and top of mind right now.

Cons

Poor communication. Unethical issues make you feel dirty. Super crap benefits. No real leadership or management.
    Expect every decision you make to be ignored or overruled by a founder who "knows better" than you do.

Listen more. Pout less. Ease up on the "old boy's club" mentality in the office. That banker stuff doesn't fly in high tech.

Test Engineer

Former Employee - Test Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at ScanSafe full-time for more than a year

Pros

training, fast paced, good work life balance

Cons

no real sense of management direction, lack of interest in people's aspirations, dead slow employee promotions

value employee efforts by encouragement, positive feedback

satisfactory

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ScanSafe

Pros

- Helpful colleagues
    - Technically strong team

Cons

- Poor Documentation and
    - Systematically slow

- Streamline processes
    - Remove system dependency

Only there for a very brief time but long enough to realise what an unsupportive place it was

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at ScanSafe

Pros

Exciting industry, good social life

Cons

Manager simply not interested in managing his team, I spent 2 months requesting clarification on my role, the least you can expect is to have your role clearly defined when you start a job. I never got it, in the end he asked me 'so did you clarify your role with so and so?' I wanted to say 'no you'll find that it's a manager's role to clarify a new employee's role'.

Was promised a month of training on all their products, got 2 weeks of patchy training on one product from another employee who whined and moaned about having to train me while having to carry on doing his job.

Was thrown in the deep end, 'sink or swim' culture and after 2 months of sinking big time, totally out of my depth, I decided to call it a day.

Only 21 days annual leave for a company that's doing so well

Make sure your managers are there to manage people, not there simply for the salary and the prestige.
    Get clearly defined roles that are clearly communicated to new employees.

And do not lie at interviews: 3 people at my interviews lied about the nature of the role, 'travel abroad' was the carrot on the stick for that job when it's all desk based. After half a day there it was clear that there was no travelling involved in my role

A good place to advance your career with a positive company morale.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ScanSafe

Pros

Responsibility is yours, positive reinforcement from management, and the feeling that you are personally contributing to the success of the company.

With a flat corporate structure, there is no elitism in this organization.

Cons

Growing pains as the company takes on more staff and new corporate processes must be put in place.

If you are not willing to take ownership of projects or need micromanagement, this is not the place for you.

Continue to provide positive reinforcement for jobs well done and foster more communication between departments.

ScanSafe - good to be part of a growing organisation

I have been working at ScanSafe

Pros

- Good to be part of a growing company
    - The SaaS industry is an exploding market - ScanSafe pioneered it
    - ScanSafe view the employees as part of a team and success is rewarded with praise and public recognition
    - Good team spirit in the office
    - Encourages innovation and input
    - Management team are approachable and experts in their area
    - Great yearly company conference in different locations e.g. Las Vegas

Cons

- It's trying to transition into a large company - might experience teething problems
    - Could make staff incentives and benefits better

- Don't distance yourselves from the rest of the employees as we grow into a bigger company; remain approachable
    - Continue to give public praise - you probably don't realise but it makes a big difference to the motivation of the staff
    - Keep encouraging innovation - innovation comes from all levels of an organisation - don't forget this or we will lose our leading position

Worked for ScanSafe? Contribute to the Community!