ScentAir Technologies

2.0

Andrew Kindfuller

Account Executive

I worked at ScentAir Technologies

Pros

Great support from management, coworkers share ideas, everyone looked forward to corporate meetings to see each other, learn sales skills and have fun!

Cons

Could use higher gas allowance.

Allocate larger territories.

Great concept wrong Management and Marketing. This is NOT a career job!!

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at ScentAir Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, exciting, unique concept to sell and the clients have been great. Depending on your market, you can make some decent commission/bonus

Cons

Where do I start. Worst technology ever. There are daily issues with the server and CRM program which makes it even more difficult to succeed in an already busy and challenging field job. I compare them to Comcast now with regards to that as well as customer service. It's a joke' and I think they are too CHEAP to hire more customer service reps to help remedy the situation. The field reps who run the whole show from generating revenue to being the customer service point receive minimal opportunities for advancement and tenure salary promotion. The greed from management is unlike anything that I have ever experienced in my life! Save yourself some time and don't be brain washed by these folks.

Just hired...a couple of questions for existing employees

Current Employee - Account Executive in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at ScentAir Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Please provide some feedback on the manager for this region (Virginia) and also any details on the initial sales training in Charlotte...is it beneficial product and company knowledge or just time wasted doing artificial role playing scenarios? Thank you.

Cons

What is the primary reason everyone seems to be bashing management within this company? Is there a lot of turnover with management and sales people?

Premium priced products selling to a less than premium paying customer base.

I worked at ScentAir Technologies

Pros

Innovative product, best in class. Fun company. Exciting product.

Cons

Heavy use of metrics in the sales environment. Market size was never a consideration; thankfully I was in a huge market. Unfortunately, the pattern is to go with a sales person and grind them until they replace him or her with fresh meat.

Start to focus on customer retention.

Great Product, Great People, Horrible Leadership

Current Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at ScentAir Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great product that no one needs, but everyone wants. People get really excited about what we do. Awesome Technical Services team, marketing team and client relations team. I personally enjoy my job - love it, even. My manager and the team I'm on is fantastic!

Cons

Leadership is out of touch with employees. Core values mean nothing. Communication is terrible. Lots of jealousy and back biting - and flat out lying from upper management. Padding numbers to put the company in a better position to be sold. AEs are under such pressure they forge contracts and their managers push them through because the pressure is on - this happens regularly and very few get fired when caught. High pressure sales tactics de-value the service we provide. No teamwork - everyone is too busy looking out for themselves and pointing fingers for fear of losing their jobs. Unprofessional (and perhaps unqualified) HR staff.

If something isn't done soon, I'm afraid of what might happen. Lots of really great people have left - huge turn over recently. Unfortunately, the people who should be reading these reviews (the Board of Directors) don't. Some of the reviews I've read are definitely sour grapes from disgruntled employees, but there is a theme that rings true. This used to be a fun place to work. The leadership used to be fantastic. The core values were more than "words on a wall". We used to work hard and have fun - now we just work hard and watch our backs. Stop micromanaging. If you have so much time to worry about how long someone was at lunch or if they made a personal call or were five minutes late getting to work, clearly you don't have enough to do. We've got some great talent in this company - some fantastic, dynamic people, who are being mentally beaten down on a daily basis. It's sad....truly sad because it doesn't have to be this way.

Very Talented Field Staff, Corporate needs to learn from them!

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at ScentAir Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from Home, great product, wonderful co workers

Cons

Selling a niche product, hugh amount of pressure from upper management, NO communication, train is never completed, corporate does not want to listen to their field reps.

Listen to your field sales...they pay your salary. Finally realize that it is "not the same" across the country. What customers pay in a high tourist/convention city IS not going to be the same in the middle region of the country. Have regional managers do an Account Reps job for 6 months before they are promoted to run the region or manage people. Have realistic goals and share "why the monthly numbers are what they are" with the company. No secrets!!! Do not change the quotas on your reps without telling them until a yearly review. Pay out bonuses earned. Give people more of a car allowance that IS NOT taxed! You have way to many chiefs right now that have no clue on what to do except focus on the bottom line and cover their own backside. The internal part of this company is a mess---wrong orders, bills sent to customers who have not received product, wrong product being sent, long lead times, no communication with the field staff etc. This company will woo you at training with the "rah rah" and taking you out for amazing meals. Then reality hits when your in the field and you are a pack horse, you do not perform the way Corporate wants that month, no matter who you are (newbie or top performer) you are under the gun. You can kiss your personal life goodbye as you will travel 5 days a week (especially in larger territories), kiss your health goodbye as the stress will make you physically ill, and if you are coming from a job where you are currently a top performer, kiss that goodbye too---this company highers the cream of the sales crop (most people come in being in the top 10%) and they will crush your sales spirit in 6 months.

Fun system to sell. HORRIBLE management.

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at ScentAir Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working from home is a plus. Training was fun and very thorough.

Cons

This company creates a very stressful environment. The turn-over rate is just silly. They set very unrealistic goals for the Account Execs... it should depend on each individual area within each region. Of course the reps in L.A. or Chicago will do well above expectations every month than reps located smaller or less population dense regions. But this is never taken into account. Regional management is questionable to say the least, and disrespectful towards Account Execs personal time, work time, and sales approach (as well as the top execs). You, as an Acct Rep, are just a number... no name needed. My particular direct manager made Account Execs and clients alike feel very uncomfortable with his used car salesmanship approach (which has resulted in a number of lost sales)... then throws the sales reps under the bus to the higher ups. He sets unattainable goals for all of his territories, constantly forgets to submit paperwork, pretends to not get important emails (and paperwork) from us when we've received read receipts... then lies about it.

Practice your own core values instead of just throwing them up on a wall. Know each territory thoroughly. KNOW your A.E.'s. Set realistic goals for both A.E.'s and Regional Managers. Be patient. Get rid of a few of your regional managers and move forward without them.

Good Product..Awful Management

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at ScentAir Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The product is good and is fun to present to prospects.

Cons

The management, HR, and CEO are in a bubble. The company's core values are not followed. The expectations are unrealistic and the pressure is high. The regional managers don't have clue of what really goes on in the day to day sales cycle and couldn't actually sell the product if they had to. They are just there to send cartoons, motivational quotes and keep the facade going. The company is very deceptive. Managers and trainers are at times abusive and intimidation is used to manage, going all the way to the top of the ladder. What a shame the owners of this company don't reach out to the employees, and not just the ones that are successful every month by default of their territory. The turnover in this company says it all!

There is nothing you could teach to the current management. They do not take advice.

Core Values are Just Words on the Wall

I have been working at ScentAir Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and autonomy. I have some great co-workers that create a sense of community

Cons

Managers are a bunch of cheerleaders that don't really take the time to get to know you or your territory. They think if they send you a motivational email, that magically you will land the sales you have been working on. They don't respect their employees, you are only as good as your current months numbers.

Read and practice the core values. This will help create a good, trusting culture and will help motivate you employees to help this company grow.

Nice product, BAD management

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at ScentAir Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

work from home, building territory, dealing with decision makers

Cons

micromanagement, no support for field reps who are struggling, unfair expectations for less productive territories,(middle of New Mexico, Montana, etc)

Be truthful will potential field reps about the actual commissions to be made in a territory, not some 'pie in the sky' number