Scentsy

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

4.1

CEO

Pros
  • I can also do some of my work from home and when my kids are asleep (in 5 reviews)

• Great company, great support, FANTASTIC Commission (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • This makes it hard to acquire a customer base (in 4 reviews)

• Its Direct Sales, its not an easy business, you have to be willing to WORK (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid and entrepreneurial, even though the product is a bit silly

Former Employee - Line Worker  in  Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Line Worker in Meridian, ID

Pros

I worked as a temp in Scentsy's wax factory. The environment was clean, disciplined, and safety-conscious. I appreciated that they strictly prohibited earbuds, phones, etc. on the factory floor, so people were usually paying attention. The employees were generally very friendly all around. Pay was great for a temp job.

Cons

Um, it's loud on the floor? I don't have many complaints.

Find more products to produce in your manufacturing space. You have too much of it doing nothing.
    Moving third shift from 10-6 instead of 12-8 would make the shift a lot easier.

Only if you have to

Pros

nice people and the smells good in the warehouse

Cons

Pay is low for responsibilities, yearly wage increase is nearly insulting

consultant

Pros

great company to work for for

Cons

time consuming, direct sales is time consuming

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Beautiful Campus, Souring Culture

Former Employee - Marketing Department  in  Meridian, ID
    Former Employee - Marketing Department in Meridian, ID

Pros

Generally speaking the people are great. Benefits are good - Health, Dental, Vision, 401k with matching, PTO, Christmas bonuses (not guaranteed, but usually given), discount on cafeteria meals, beautiful campus.

Cons

Chaotic environment. Leadership can't seem to settle on a course. Strategy and direction change on a whim. Perpetual re-organizations of company structure - don't bother settling into a job role, it will change in six months when they do another company re-org and stick you somewhere else (without your prior knowledge). Unbalanced workloads - good employees get stuck pulling 10-12 hour days (consistently) while a surprisingly large number of other employees put in 5-6 hour days. Management does nothing to address this problem (which is why there is currently a high turnover in positions & departments that wouldn't normally see high turnover).

Nepotism is an issue at this company. Family members of executives are often given positions they don't qualify for.

Promotions and advancements seem to occur more often among those that are family of leadership and among those that share the same religious faith as leadership. (11 of the 13 executives listed on the company website belong to the same faith). Many of these people seem to 'fail upwards' into highly sought after positions or positions of leadership, meaning they do a lackluster job in one role and are rewarded with a promotion to a more important role.

Roles & responsibilities are often unclear. Leadership often lacks clear understanding of the roles & responsibilities of employees on their teams. This vagueness results in confusion and in employees deciding for themselves what their job should be. Occasionally this leads to conflicts between employees & departments as they inadvertently encroach on each others responsibilities. This can get ugly.

There is an environment of fear for speaking up and offering input. Safer to keep your head down and stay under the radar. Middle management is not empowered to do anything because of bureaucracy and red tap in the higher levels of management. Employees themselves are paralyzed because projects change scope and direction often. Everything has to funnel through the top level of leadership as well, which creates a clog.

Summary: What was once a great company with an unmatched culture has spoiled. The executive team has failed to adapt and to provide clear/sound leadership The good employees are leaving in droves (I'm aware of 15 leaving in the last three months - and these are 15 positions that wouldn't be considered high turnover positions). While the new campus and headquarters are beautiful on the outside, on the inside the environment has soured.

The culture has changed. Morale is low. Good people are leaving. This will continue to happen unless you can reconnect with your employees and allow them to contribute to making Scentsy a leader once again.

Great Direct Selling Company

Current Employee - Independent Consultant  in  Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Meridian, ID

Pros

Set your own hours, LOTS of training available. They have Wellness program that lets us know that they value us as people, not just reps to add to their bottom line. Great incentives and the qualifications for party status are really reasonable.

Cons

Commission vs off the top discount. It stinks not being able to get the discount on items to be able to get stock. As with any direct selling company, you have to have a lot of contacts and you have to build a team to advance and to even have a shot at the annual incentive.

Ease up on the incentive requirements. Each year I get excited but about 6 weeks into it, I lose the drive, because I see that my chances are very slim.

In love with my job!

Current Employee - Independent Director  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Independent Director in San Luis Obispo, CA

Pros

Excellent income potential IF you work your business. You only get out of this what you put into it. From the direct sales angle, there's limitless positive experiences that you can have. Potential bonuses on sales, making passive income off downline, all expense paid trips, fun prizes and incentives! The company culture is inspiring, challenging you to be generous, thoughtful, and the being the person you want to meet. The people you meet, the relationships you create and revive are so fulfilling. Being a consultant for Scentsy is truly a one of a kind experience.

Cons

The only cons are what one lacks in self motivation.

Scentsational??

Current Employee - Superstar Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Superstar Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Flexibilty, easy to sell, great earning potential

Cons

No help from Consultant Support.

You get what you put into this business

Current Employee - Independent Star Consultant  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Independent Star Consultant in Knoxville, TN

Pros

I love working for Scentsy because I have unlimited opportunity. Whatever I am willing to put into this business I will get out of the business.

Cons

Its Direct Sales, its not an easy business, you have to be willing to WORK.

Keep doing what you're doing! TOP NOTCH!!! Love my business!!

Digital Marketing Intern

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Intern  in  Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Intern in Meridian, ID

Pros

The people and culture there are great. People genuinely care about their jobs and want to do well. A great spirit of innovation and growth. People aren't afraid to try new things. Great benefits, and great work life balance.

Cons

Poor pay, poorly designed internship. Oftentimes I was left with nothing to do and just begging someone to let me help them do something.

Have a company wide internship plan.

The gym keeps me coming

Current Employee - Front End Developer  in  Meridian, ID
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Meridian, ID

Pros

full gym with crossfit program, "scentsy commons" makes for a good environment to work in, good cafeteria

Cons

pay could be much better, not a clear career path. breadth of knowledge is much more encouraged than depth of knowledge resulting in many unskilled generalists rather than skilled specialists.

encourage more specialization. this may define a clearer career path and stop to propagation of terrible code

Worked for Scentsy? Contribute to the Community!