Scheels

Updated May 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Steve Scheel

Great part-time work for college students

Midline Support (Current Employee)
    Coralville, IA

ProsLoved the people I worked with. For the most part, management was awesome. If you're into sports, it's pretty interesting to learn about the whole process. The employee discount was really great as well. Overall, I couldn't have asked for much more from a part-time job.

ConsPretty standard with retail, but the hours can be pretty terrible, especially November-December. The company loves to stress "aggressive friendliness", which basically means that you are expected to smile and talk to every single customer that steps foot in the door. This gets obnoxious fast, especially in a mall location where many customers are simply walking through the store to get to the parking lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was really pretty awesome. However, with so many assistant store leaders with some overlapping responsibilities, an improvement in communication would definitely benefit everyone.

Fun company to work for

Midline Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsEnvironment and people are amazing. I've made some of my best friends working here. Discount is great. Lots of opportunities to grow if you are willing. Do a great job promoting from within.

ConsNights and weekends which is annoying at times. When it isn't busy, it's very hard to sell which makes it hard to earn money.

Loved working here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFamily atmosphere. Everyone cares about your success. The leadership team will work with you to make sure you get the most out of your job.

ConsPay is not that great. Hours also are not great but it is retail so you can't expect great hours.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the better retail jobs...

SSM (Current Employee)
    Lincoln, NE

ProsThe discount is about as good as it gets for employees. The people you work with on a day to day basis are for the most part great individuals to be around.

It's a nice place to start a sales career, as they train heavily on customer service.

ConsTuesday night product knowledge meetings every week get old in a hurry. Especially if your shift ends at 5 p.m. and you are required to come back in to week. The work/life balance could definitely be better, then again it is retail.

Base pay is the worst part about the job. If you want to make a decent living you better plan on selling for the better part of the day. If the store is slow, plan on just scraping by.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing able to take PTO on weekends would do wonders for the attitudes of your full-time employees. We don't expect it to be something we can do often, but life happens treat us as people not pieces of equipment.

Great place to start, but not to stay

(Current Employee)

ProsThe work environment is fun, you are dealing with items that people love. You have minor control over what is ordered for the shop you run which gives entry level employees great experience. Personal sales allows you to help all customers in your area, so the more you know, the more you can sell.

ConsManagement tends to tread everyone like children, regardless of tenure or age. Promotions are based off of how well you get along with management, not the best person suited for a leadership role. The fact your employee purchase rights are based off how many people you get to sign up for a Scheels CREDIT CARD doesn't help with employee moral, especially when the employee purchase idea is the main reason most people work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking down to employees and start encouraging them. Do a better job of bridging the gap between management and everyone else, there really isn't a middleman where you can take issues.

Stay Away

West Des Moines, IA

ProsI enjoy my co-workers that I work with on a daily basis. Great discount when they aren't taking it away from you.

ConsPromotions are rare, don't expect a raise ever. Micro-management at its finest. Always have to be pitching the Scheels Visa otherwise you lose your discount.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the micro-management. We are adults capable of performing our responsibilities. Not children.

cashier

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Omaha, NE

Prosgood discount, and the people there are nice

Conshorrible pay, and no hours given

Advice to Senior Managementgive hours

Good company

ProsGood company to work for while going to school. Very flexible scheduling to work around classes. Good teamwork. Fun work environment. Great retirement plan(meant for people that stick with the company for a long time though)

ConsSlow to make changes. Set in their ways.

Great company with awesome values

ProsGreat environment with employees and managers who really enjoy what they are doing

Conspromotions are hard to come by

Awesome

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe training process is excellent

ConsThere are no cons with this company

Worked for Scheels? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scheels reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scheels CEO Steve Scheel. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Scheels employees.