Scheels Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
Updated October 21, 2014
3.5

Steve Scheel

Only place you should apply...shoe department!

I have been working at Scheels

Pros

Very good discount for shoe workers

Cons

Managers make mistakes on scheduling a lot.

OK, nothing special

I worked at Scheels part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good discount, a lot of good people. Fun work environment. Good product and sales training.

Cons

They push that ridiculous credit card too much. Very long hours on weekends. 10+ hours working in retail sales is mentally draining. Im not sure if I was a shoe salesman or a credit card salesman. Pay is too commission driven. PT sales will experience big monthly pay swings.

Listen to employees about what new products to carry. Make sales meeting more productive. More vendors explaining their products.

Favoritism at its finest

Current Employee - SSM in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - SSM in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Scheels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The only real pro to working here is the discount and the retirement program.

Cons

No room to move up. ASLs have apparent favorites. When a new store opens, all the good employees leave to go there.

Stop having favorites

Promotions appear "family oriented"...

Current Employee - Over Worked & Under Paid
    Current Employee - Over Worked & Under Paid

I have been working at Scheels full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are a big pro, minus the majority of the ASLs. I enjoy the level of professionalism and the standards for behavior. I also like the strict rule system. Keeps the standard of my coworkers high so I can trust them more.

Cons

Everything is personal with management. If you upset the wrong ASL you can kiss your job goodbye.

Also, raises and promotions follow a strange pattern with SCHEELS... If you are pregnant, going to have a kid, or just had a kid-- you will get whatever promotion they can throw at you. Sometimes they will even create a job for the lucky baby mama/daddy. If you are not planning on procreating, do not plan on getting a raise. Although, getting married to someone from within SCHEELS seems to help with promotions, too.

The crazy amount of spouses, kids, girlfriends and boyfriends all magically ending up as ASLs is nothing short of a miracle. It must be an interesting job application process.

Oh, and LGBT individuals...warning. Close minded company, very conservative values that may become a problem, depending on who you work with.

You are not gods and the associates are not your slaves. Be more understanding of everyone-- what they need to do a good job and be happy about it. You should not treat everyone as disposable. Stop having favorites and passing up the hard workers for deserved raises or you will keep losing them.

Good Experience

I worked at Scheels part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good customer service experience, good first job

Cons

Do not expect a raise

Great people, Terribly run

Current Employee - Service Tech in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Service Tech in Sandy, UT

I have been working at Scheels part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, Fun, Great Discount, No stress involved, Laid Back

Cons

The management is beyond terrible. The people who get promoted to ASL, are not who should be, because most of the people who are qualified do not want to work the hours that are given. There is no room to grow in this company, raises are basically non-existent and if you do get a raise its nothing at all.

Pay more attention to your employees. My shop manager had worked for Scheels for 9 years, and was making $13 an hour..

Scheels was a nice first job.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Scheels part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the products Scheels sold and being able to talk and help customers. The fellow employees were great. Some managers were nice.

Cons

No way of moving up. I got rejected and they have it to someone who wasn't eligible because she was a "favorite". Never get raises. Constantly worried about getting in trouble. A lot of stupid rules.

Be nice to everyone. Don't treat us like 5 year olds.

Awesome people, bad pay

Former Employee - PT Cashier
    Former Employee - PT Cashier

I worked at Scheels part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people that work here are awesome, and the discount was one of the best in retail

Cons

Moving up is nearly impossible, barely ever get raises, management has favorites and picks from them. The scheels visa is the only thing they care about.

Stop caring more about the visa than the customers

Fun company to work for

Current Employee - Midline Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Midline Sales Associate

I have been working at Scheels part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Environment and people are amazing. I've made some of my best friends working here. Discount is great. Lots of opportunities to grow if you are willing. Do a great job promoting from within.

Cons

Nights and weekends which is annoying at times. When it isn't busy, it's very hard to sell which makes it hard to earn money.

Great part-time work for college students

Current Employee - Midline Support in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Midline Support in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Scheels part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the people I worked with. For the most part, management was awesome. If you're into sports, it's pretty interesting to learn about the whole process. The employee discount was really great as well. Overall, I couldn't have asked for much more from a part-time job.

Cons

Pretty standard with retail, but the hours can be pretty terrible, especially November-December. The company loves to stress "aggressive friendliness", which basically means that you are expected to smile and talk to every single customer that steps foot in the door. This gets obnoxious fast, especially in a mall location where many customers are simply walking through the store to get to the parking lot.

Management was really pretty awesome. However, with so many assistant store leaders with some overlapping responsibilities, an improvement in communication would definitely benefit everyone.