Scheels Reviews

Updated September 6, 2014
3.5

Steve Scheel

Good Experience

I worked at Scheels part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good customer service experience, good first job

Cons

Do not expect a raise

Awesome people, bad pay

Former Employee - PT Cashier
    Former Employee - PT Cashier

I worked at Scheels part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people that work here are awesome, and the discount was one of the best in retail

Cons

Moving up is nearly impossible, barely ever get raises, management has favorites and picks from them. The scheels visa is the only thing they care about.

Stop caring more about the visa than the customers

Fun company to work for

Current Employee - Midline Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Midline Sales Associate

I have been working at Scheels part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Environment and people are amazing. I've made some of my best friends working here. Discount is great. Lots of opportunities to grow if you are willing. Do a great job promoting from within.

Cons

Nights and weekends which is annoying at times. When it isn't busy, it's very hard to sell which makes it hard to earn money.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great part-time work for college students

Current Employee - Midline Support  in  Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Midline Support in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Scheels part-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the people I worked with. For the most part, management was awesome. If you're into sports, it's pretty interesting to learn about the whole process. The employee discount was really great as well. Overall, I couldn't have asked for much more from a part-time job.

Cons

Pretty standard with retail, but the hours can be pretty terrible, especially November-December. The company loves to stress "aggressive friendliness", which basically means that you are expected to smile and talk to every single customer that steps foot in the door. This gets obnoxious fast, especially in a mall location where many customers are simply walking through the store to get to the parking lot.

Management was really pretty awesome. However, with so many assistant store leaders with some overlapping responsibilities, an improvement in communication would definitely benefit everyone.

Loved working here

I worked at Scheels

Pros

Family atmosphere. Everyone cares about your success. The leadership team will work with you to make sure you get the most out of your job.

Cons

Pay is not that great. Hours also are not great but it is retail so you can't expect great hours.

Great place to start, but not to stay

I have been working at Scheels full-time

Pros

The work environment is fun, you are dealing with items that people love. You have minor control over what is ordered for the shop you run which gives entry level employees great experience. Personal sales allows you to help all customers in your area, so the more you know, the more you can sell.

Cons

Management tends to tread everyone like children, regardless of tenure or age. Promotions are based off of how well you get along with management, not the best person suited for a leadership role. The fact your employee purchase rights are based off how many people you get to sign up for a Scheels CREDIT CARD doesn't help with employee moral, especially when the employee purchase idea is the main reason most people work there.

Stop talking down to employees and start encouraging them. Do a better job of bridging the gap between management and everyone else, there really isn't a middleman where you can take issues.

One of the better retail jobs...

Current Employee - SSM  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - SSM in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Scheels full-time

Pros

The discount is about as good as it gets for employees. The people you work with on a day to day basis are for the most part great individuals to be around.

It's a nice place to start a sales career, as they train heavily on customer service.

Cons

Tuesday night product knowledge meetings every week get old in a hurry. Especially if your shift ends at 5 p.m. and you are required to come back in to week. The work/life balance could definitely be better, then again it is retail.

Base pay is the worst part about the job. If you want to make a decent living you better plan on selling for the better part of the day. If the store is slow, plan on just scraping by.

Being able to take PTO on weekends would do wonders for the attitudes of your full-time employees. We don't expect it to be something we can do often, but life happens treat us as people not pieces of equipment.

Stay Away

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Scheels full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoy my co-workers that I work with on a daily basis. Great discount when they aren't taking it away from you.

Cons

Promotions are rare, don't expect a raise ever. Micro-management at its finest. Always have to be pitching the Scheels Visa otherwise you lose your discount.

Stop with the micro-management. We are adults capable of performing our responsibilities. Not children.

cashier

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Cashier in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Scheels part-time for less than a year

Pros

good discount, and the people there are nice

Cons

horrible pay, and no hours given

give hours

Good company

I have been working at Scheels part-time

Pros

Good company to work for while going to school. Very flexible scheduling to work around classes. Good teamwork. Fun work environment. Great retirement plan(meant for people that stick with the company for a long time though)

Cons

Slow to make changes. Set in their ways.

Worked for Scheels? Contribute to the Community!