Schilling Robotics

Updated Jan 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John T. Gremp

They are one of the best ROV's

FSE (Current Employee)
Morgan City, LA

I have been working at Schilling Robotics full-time for less than a year

ProsStation keep is the best on any rov

ConsNothing about it is disliked

Advice to Senior ManagementAccept advise from owers

Great CoWorkers but Very Poor Management

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Schilling Robotics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery interesting product line with many technical challenges. Large capital investment on internal manufacturing capabilities (But poor execution). They have a large market share which lends itself to high dollar product innovation and growth.

ConsWhen I started the mid-level site manager appeared to be someone that would finally get things done and make the facility a world class manufacturing plant. It became quickly apparent that he was in over his head. In fact, he even admitted his lack of experience in machining metals. He quickly became an expert manufacturing engineer and was running the plant into the ground thus eliminating all the hard work the real engineers had accomplished.

In conclusions, the site manager is incompetent, unethical and devoid of any leadership skills and in my opinion should be removed from his post. It’s really hard to believe that upper management have not realized this and taken immediate action to fix the systemic problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease put the FMC Core Values into action verses printing them on worthless sheets of paper to force feed the employees. Let the employees see the Integrity, Innovation, Collaboration, Respect and Accountability in action.

Interesting product horrible management

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Schilling Robotics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery interesting product line and many technical challenges. Investing in internal manufacturing capabilities, and very aggressive in product innovation, market share maintenance and growth. The market for their ROV's and Manipulators is growing.

ConsHorrible management. The mid level managers I had to report to were barely competent in their roles, or thought they knew what they were doing and arrogantly ignored input from key personnel. Results being hundreds of thousands of wasted dollars, sub par process control, lack of information available to make informed business decisions and no opportunity for career growth. There was plenty of work to do and opportunity to contribute in the role I filled, like process documentation/control, fixture design, process improvement/stabalization, new process implementation, but was let go along with several other colleagues as we somehow were deemed unnecessary. In my 3+ years of employment I reported to 5 different people so there was never good stability in my role. I was treated pretty poorly and in ways that conflicted with one of the company's core stated ideals of employee trust.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and actually listen to the people running the day to day operations and people with the skill sets to execute technical solutions. Set project plans commit to them, but be free to modify and document changes to plans as required. Properly assign roles and responsibilities with actionable authority and accountability to the appropriate personnel. Share and communicate plans and expectations. Don't just hire new people into roles without posting the positions for existing personnel to have the opportunity to fill.

An innovative, class-leading subsea products company with a true vision

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Schilling Robotics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPerhaps the only company I've come across with a true vision and mission that aligns all employees. The results are a world-class product for their clients.

ConsA difficult question to answer, as like many companies there are always small issues, but the team at Schilling worked hard to continuously improve and address problems.

learned alot about big companies

I have been working at Schilling Robotics

Prosgood wages,benefits and holiday schedule. Get to machine some very nice parts for subsea robotics and work with newer machines.

Consmanagement doesn't understand how a manufacturing facility should or can work and is hampering the production of their new facility.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to what the workers on the floor making things happen. they know how to get the job done if you give them a chance to do it.

Good employees, terrible management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Schilling Robotics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen I started at Schilling it had a great, family friendly, employee focused culture. The subject matter is interesting (Subsea Robotics) and you could learn new things.

ConsWithin a few years though the executives decided the company needed to change, so brought in an entire slew of outside management from big corporations who treated employees like drones to squeeze as much labor out of as possible.

Management got turned over again after a year or two, and many of the old people resumed their roles, but middle management stayed the same corporate people as before, who continued to treat employees like drones while running interference between employees and HR and executive management (insisting everything was fine and happy and they were doing what the executives wanted -- a return to family friendly, employee focused culture).

Salaried employees who only put in 40 hours a week are "slacking", expect to get written up.

Pay is on the low side, and there are no bonuses or incentives.

Company has since been bought out by FMC Technologies, so management has likely changed again.

Worked for Schilling Robotics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schilling Robotics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Schilling Robotics CEO John T. Gremp. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Schilling Robotics employees.