Schilling Robotics Reviews

1. Great culture, fun company & exciting products

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

I have been working at Schilling Robotics full-time

Pros

I really enjoy working at FMC Technologies Schilling Robotics. The culture is great, cool product and technology, benefits are generous and the people are terrific to work with (a real family feel). I have always felt appreciated and very respected as an employee. There is lots of celebrating company successes, strong communication and fun t-shirts too. I feel proud and lucky to be employed with FMC Technologies Schilling Robotics. I hope to be here for many years to come!

Cons

There is always something every company can improve on. Maybe a better bonus program possibly, but I know many places don't offer a bonus at all. Other than that it is tough to say....I am very satisfied and proud to work for Schilling.

Advice to Management

I appreciate that the Senior leadership keeps the employee very well informed, are very approachable, down to earth and friendly. Keep it up!

2. Great Opportunities

I worked at Schilling Robotics

Pros

Exciting projects and great people to work with. There is a supportive and positive culture that encourages innovation. The company seems to be growing quickly and shows a lot of opportunity for the future. Overall Schilling Robotics is a great place to work.

Cons

Because of how fast the company is growing and the vast diversity of high priority projects, some long hours may be required. Many of the projects involve working on critical issues, which can sometimes detract from training and other opportunities.

3. Exciting, Challenging, Fun Place to Work

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Davis, CA
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Davis, CA

I worked at Schilling Robotics as an intern

Pros

The atmosphere is casual, people are open with communication, and everyone's work seems valued. The safety culture and work environment show that the company truly cares about its employees.
    Training is provided occasionally to engineers to allow them to better understand the market they design for or to enhance their skill set. It seems that the company is supportive of developing its workforce.
    Most managers are very in touch with and supportive of their department.
    The Velocity Lab is an amazing resource for quickly prototyping designs.
    There are many lunchtime and after work activities to get involved with and bond with coworkers.
    Donuts, bagels,etc. everyday are a plus.

Cons

I have seen some finger-pointing between departments, especially on the manufacturing side. Product fabrication and assembly deadlines are held above all else and sometimes do not always correspond to where engineering is in the design process leading to high stress environments that spur occasional conflict and distrust between departments. Sometimes the work/life balance appears unhealthy with some engineers and technicians working late into the evening on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Work on fostering a manufacturing workplace built on true teamwork. It is not usually one department's fault if there is a stop in production, bad parts, missing tools, etc. Make sure that everyone understands that a failure is something to teach and learn from and that all involved parties need to recognize it as a shared responsibility.

Unreasonable expectations

Former Employee - Fabrication Supervisor in Shingle Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Fabrication Supervisor in Shingle Springs, CA

I worked at Schilling Robotics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company designs and builds the very best ROV's in the world. They also utilize cutting edge technology to manufacture their product.

Cons

Very long working hours and unreasonable expectations with little assistance from upper management.

Advice to Management

Work more on developing relationships with your management team and trust them to do their job without micromanaging them.

Great CoWorkers but Very Poor Management

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Shingle Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Shingle Springs, CA

I have been working at Schilling Robotics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting product line with many technical challenges. Large capital investment on internal manufacturing capabilities (But poor execution). They have a large market share which lends itself to high dollar product innovation and growth.

Cons

When I started the mid-level site manager appeared to be someone that would finally get things done and make the facility a world class manufacturing plant. It became quickly apparent that he was in over his head. In fact, he even admitted his lack of experience in machining metals. He quickly became an expert manufacturing engineer and was running the plant into the ground thus eliminating all the hard work the real engineers had accomplished.

In conclusions, the site manager is incompetent, unethical and devoid of any leadership skills and in my opinion should be removed from his post. It’s really hard to believe that upper management have not realized this and taken immediate action to fix the systemic problem.

Advice to Management

Please put the FMC Core Values into action verses printing them on worthless sheets of paper to force feed the employees. Let the employees see the Integrity, Innovation, Collaboration, Respect and Accountability in action.

7. They are one of the best ROV's

Current Employee - FSE in Morgan City, LA
    Current Employee - FSE in Morgan City, LA

I have been working at Schilling Robotics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Station keep is the best on any rov

Cons

Nothing about it is disliked

Advice to Management

Accept advise from owers

Interesting product horrible management

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Shingle Springs, CA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Shingle Springs, CA

I worked at Schilling Robotics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting product line and many technical challenges. Investing in internal manufacturing capabilities, and very aggressive in product innovation, market share maintenance and growth. The market for their ROV's and Manipulators is growing.

Cons

Horrible management. The mid level managers I had to report to were barely competent in their roles, or thought they knew what they were doing and arrogantly ignored input from key personnel. Results being hundreds of thousands of wasted dollars, sub par process control, lack of information available to make informed business decisions and no opportunity for career growth. There was plenty of work to do and opportunity to contribute in the role I filled, like process documentation/control, fixture design, process improvement/stabalization, new process implementation, but was let go along with several other colleagues as we somehow were deemed unnecessary. In my 3+ years of employment I reported to 5 different people so there was never good stability in my role. I was treated pretty poorly and in ways that conflicted with one of the company's core stated ideals of employee trust.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and actually listen to the people running the day to day operations and people with the skill sets to execute technical solutions. Set project plans commit to them, but be free to modify and document changes to plans as required. Properly assign roles and responsibilities with actionable authority and accountability to the appropriate personnel. Share and communicate plans and expectations. Don't just hire new people into roles without posting the positions for existing personnel to have the opportunity to fill.

9. An innovative, class-leading subsea products company with a true vision

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Schilling Robotics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Perhaps the only company I've come across with a true vision and mission that aligns all employees. The results are a world-class product for their clients.

Cons

A difficult question to answer, as like many companies there are always small issues, but the team at Schilling worked hard to continuously improve and address problems.

learned alot about big companies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shingle Springs, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shingle Springs, CA

I have been working at Schilling Robotics

Pros

good wages,benefits and holiday schedule. Get to machine some very nice parts for subsea robotics and work with newer machines.

Cons

management doesn't understand how a manufacturing facility should or can work and is hampering the production of their new facility.

Advice to Management

listen to what the workers on the floor making things happen. they know how to get the job done if you give them a chance to do it.

Good employees, terrible management

I worked at Schilling Robotics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When I started at Schilling it had a great, family friendly, employee focused culture. The subject matter is interesting (Subsea Robotics) and you could learn new things.

Cons

Within a few years though the executives decided the company needed to change, so brought in an entire slew of outside management from big corporations who treated employees like drones to squeeze as much labor out of as possible.

Management got turned over again after a year or two, and many of the old people resumed their roles, but middle management stayed the same corporate people as before, who continued to treat employees like drones while running interference between employees and HR and executive management (insisting everything was fine and happy and they were doing what the executives wanted -- a return to family friendly, employee focused culture).

Salaried employees who only put in 40 hours a week are "slacking", expect to get written up.

Pay is on the low side, and there are no bonuses or incentives.

Company has since been bought out by FMC Technologies, so management has likely changed again.