Schlumberger

3.6 1,348 reviews

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard

Paal Kibsgaard

1,348 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Fixed step training program for technical people is excellent, if not slightly 'overdone'"
    in 56 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/Life balance tends to be dismal if you're too extroverted or have a nuclear family"
    in 170 reviews
  • "Leads to culture with no work life balance when the opportunity exists"
    in 41 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsProvides lots of training. Technical control their own career path in a structured promotion mechanism.

ConsProject managers are usually heavily in techical contribution and they are not very well recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementA coaching system for the junior managers might help.

Long hours = Great Pay

Equipment Operator Frac (Current Employee)
    Cheyenne, WY

ProsThe pay is great. Working with a team. There is a direct path for advancement. 6 days off is like a mini vacation

ConsThe hours are the hardest to get use to but it could be worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementSuggestion box for changes to be more productive in the field

An excellent place to work for a single person.

ProsBleeding edge tech. Get to work with top rate engineers.

ConsLong, long hours. Did I mention long hours?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to for fresh out

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLot of trainings for employees.

ConsNo much chance to learn new things.

Great Training.. no work/life balance

Field Engineer II (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsSchlumberger is seen as an industry leader for training. This serves you well both during and after your career with them. You're also given many many opportunities

ConsThere is very little work/life balance as a Field Engineer with none of the perks that are supposed to accompany sacrificing that much of 3 years of your life to a company. Often, employees can get left behind in progress for their career. Also, from what I have seen and heard and experienced myself, there is no interest in the company in retaining you; you and your experience is dispensable and you are easily replaced wuth someone who will sit down and shut up.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart compensating fairly for the time engineers put in. Provide them with actual support rather than throwing them in the deep end and hanging them out to dry if they fail. Experience is actually worth something, believe it or not.. start understanding this again and the horrible retention rate of new hires will improve.

Great place to work and gain lab experience.

Intern (Current Employee)
    Salt Lake City, UT

Prosthere are plenty of learning opportunities everyone is very helpful and you get a look into the oil/gas industry. As an intern I was given real projects and challenged.

ConsNone that I can think of, It was a great place to work. Because of my experience I have beceome more marketable in the job market.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Field Sales with no training

Field Sales for Drilco (Current Employee)
    Williston, ND

ProsThe company benefits are good

ConsThe leadership is not good at all. The health Benefits Suck. The expectations are bearable since they don't tell you what they want or expect.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give the employees and up front expectation of what they want. This would include the amount they are expected to brig into the company every month. Also have some training for your staff. I never received a single class on one product you wanted me to sell on.

Contracts Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat company to garner additional experience whether you are a novice or a seasoned professional

ConsThey don't provide any type of administrative services to managers, which is very aggravating.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide an administrative assistant to assist a group of managers

Manager hate smart graduates. the like dummies as employee.

Procurement Specialist (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsIf you have no ambition in life; looking to work for 15years with the same company; If you are satisfied with doing the same thing over and over again; If you have no plans to further your education or get your professional certification; If you don't have a mind of your own; If you only know how to say YES!; Then this is the right place for you.

ConsIf you show any sign that you want to grow and develop yourself, technically or professionally; or you are aspiring to become a manager someday, you will be labelled as over ambitious, then they will cook up allegations against you, set you up and fire you........even if the allegation is ridiculous. Managers do not like to work with other people whom are intelligent. They want to be the one that shine in front of management.

Also, if you are a minority, especially if you are from the Motherland, you are most likely never going to grow beyond the low level position for which you were hired.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to give your employees a chance. Because we are young and have invested in our education to hold high degrees, please do not envy them. infact that should be a good addition to the team. Trust me. as new graduate we are here to learn from you, not replace you because we hold a MBA, MAster ...or others.

Great Technology and decent work/life balance. Lacking in compensation, benefits and respectable office space.

Business Development Manager (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat company to learn and get relevant experience. Believes in on-the job training which allows for great opportunities withing many disciplines. Worldwide presence gives a great opportunity to see many corners of the world.

ConsPay and benefits is not competitive with oil & gas companies. Poor office location and no offices.
    Executive pay is, however, higher than most oil & gas companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be competitive for your marketplace. The compensation is nowhere near being competitive with oil & gas companies. If service industry can't pay like the oil industry for the same talent, executive salaries should follow suit. Open concept office space only works for a few job functions.

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schlumberger reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard . All 1,348 reviews posted anonymously by Schlumberger employees.