Schlumberger Reviews in Oklahoma City, OK

3.6
1,445 Reviews

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard
Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up (in 32 reviews)

• This company has a best Training program for its employees, Good HSE program and other Benefits (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Obvious work life balance though they do work with you on that when you need it (in 203 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, excellent benefits, Good training in all aspects of work requirements, Excellent safety culture. Very profesional in both employees and management.

Cons

You will work your tail off. Very long hours, will most likely work every holiday if not the whole day then some of it. Lots of weekends as well

Great money but you are working all the time, literally.

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

The money, training and opportunity for advancement is very good, if you can get out of the field.

Cons

You work 24 hours, live on a rig, sleep very little, and never know when you will have a day off. When you do have a day off, you are afraid whenever your phone rings, because you might have to pack up and go to a job for an unknown amount of time, usually 1 month...might be 3. 24 hours, no weekends, no holidays.

Treat new employees better and you might be able to improve the turnover rate.

One of the worst decisions I have ever made

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

The only good thing about working here is compensation. Even though your base salary will be around 60 K you receive bonuses for each day spent on a rig, so you can potentially end up making twice as much. The job is extremely easy, besides a few days when you're running around trying to troubleshoot or rig up/down. I am not exaggerating when I say the job requires minimal brain power. You're pretty much being compensated for the lifestyle, because you're really out here in an executive assistant/ operator capacity and no engineering goes into this what so ever. So if you're ok with not seeing your family and friends, having no personal life or development, and flushing your engineering degree down the toilet this could be a great career for you.

Cons

They literally run your life 344 days of the year. You don't get weekends or holidays, the only actual time off (defined as time you can travel or do whatever you want) will be the 21 days of vacation which you accrue throughout the year. Don't get me wrong you will have time off between rigs, but during that time, you have to remain in close proximity to your location, because at any moment you can receive a call telling you to go out to the job. So technically speaking you're on call on your time off and therefore you're not really on time off. If you're an engineer you're basically flushing your degree down the toilet, you will not be working out here in an engineering capacity. Turns out they hire high school graduates to do your job, but pay them less; so I'm not sure why they hire engineers. Your co-workers most of the time will be completely unprofessional, and if they are having a bad day, guess what you will be the recipient of some of the most vulgar language known to man. I can go on and on but this should give a pretty good idea of what you can look forward too if you come work for Schlumberger

You can have the slogan "people technology profit" and then not care about your people and treat them in the worst way possible, with the entire focus being solely on profit.

All work, no life

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

You will get paid well considering you will most likely be straight out of college.

Cons

Do it or we'll find someone else who will mentality.

Learn to care about your employees!

Work at the fiel

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

The world largest services company

Cons

Work hard and always in the field

Be nice

Hard work long hours

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

Fixed step promotion, you are promoted based on your performance and meeting various requirements, not on time at the company.

Cons

The industry is very dynamic they hire and fire based on industry demands

hire more people, so the current field engineers can have a break

Overview

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Schlumberger

Pros

Provided good pay and benefits

Cons

Lots of unpaid overtime (salary), inability to get time off approved

working conditions vary greatly depending on changes in mid-level management

Good

Current Employee - MWD in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - MWD in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

the pay is pretty good

Cons

Time away from home and family

Relate to employees

Great company for domestic and international opportunities...

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

Great benefits, adequate compensation, well respected in the business

Cons

Older employees are not treated as well as younger employees - less opportunities and monetary rewards

The population of employees is aging. We were offered a stick in 2006 if we left the company, but no carrot. Please show us the carrot.

Opportunity for growth and professional development are plenty and you are in charge of driving your career.

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

Schlumberger provides a challenging career with constant opportunity for growth and development. Schlumberger provides significant training for all positions and gives employees responsibility for people and equipment very early in their career. Over the lifetime of your career you be involved operations, training, personnel, sales, product development, etc. The possibilities are endless.

Cons

The oilfield is time sensitive which at times leads to long hours and stress. Schlumberger is changing for the better to become more "family friendly." However at times it is hard to find the life / work balance.

Most senior management started in the field as field engineers. Don't forget how demanding field life really can be.