Schlumberger Reviews

Reset
3.5
Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard
Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Meeting People from around the world (in 32 reviews)

• The company provides good training (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not the best (in 210 reviews)

• You have no work/life balance in Schlumberger (in 45 reviews)

1,878 Employee Reviews

1. Manufacturing Engineer

Pros

Great place to work learning products and processes on the job. Very good work culture

Cons

You cannot deviate from a process, even if that will benefit the company.

2. Working for Schlumberger

Former Employee - Well Planner in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Well Planner in Midland, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There were great opportunities for growth and advancement at SLB. I worked with a very diverse, from all over the world, group of people. I felt like I was always learning from great minds and made a lot of friends as well. There are a lot of well paying jobs in the oil industry.

Cons

The oil industry is very fickle, there are many ups and downs. When the industry takes a dip SLB is one of the first companies to start laying people off.

Advice to Management

When you have a new hire, explain what the roles and responsibilities are of the folks around them. I was a well planner and it took me a while to understand what sales, coordinators, field crews and other engineers did and had to offer me. What data did I need to get from the client and who created the BHAs. When I started, sales would give me a geo prog from the client and when I asked them for the plat and BHA they got mad at me for bothering them. An explanation of who to turn to would have helped.

3. Personal Assistant

Former Employee - Personnel Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Personnel Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at Schlumberger (Less than a year)

Pros

Free meals with a great selection each day. I worked with a caring team. So caring they mailed me a certificate to get better for a paper cut.

Cons

In my limited role helping prepare for the Boston transfer I didn't experience any material cons. I only wish I could have learn more about the science of the business.

5. SLB employer

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

Pros

Offers great benefits and great pay. I was able to work with some of the best people in the industry.

Cons

Advancement opportunities limited unless you are willing to relocate.

First Class Training

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Schlumberger invest millions in training employees to be the best in the oil industry. I benefited from an excellent fixed step technical / leadership training program, which really boosted my career. Lots of travel. I lived in 6 different countries over 3 years! I don't know of many companies that provide an internationally mobile career like Schlumberger

Cons

Work life balance is poor if you have a family. Lots of intense work and not enough time to relax. I was constantly on the move (I didn't mind much as I was young, single and eager to learn back then) Schlumberger is renowned for its hire n fire approach during down turns. They do not waste time in cutting off employees during rough times and end up losing some of their best people to the competition as a result.

Advice to Management

People are the company's number one asset. Learn from your mistakes and view your employees as living beings not just numbers on a spread sheet, that should be deleted once there is a decline in the oil price.

7. Discipline required, but rewarding experience.

Current Employee - Laboratory Engineer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Laboratory Engineer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing minds to work with. There's lots of training and personal development that goes into each individual. Management is very reasonable.

Cons

Individuals have to be self motivated and proactive about their personal and career development. If you put in the effort, it is a rewarding experience.

8. Project Manager

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Schlumberger does very good on diversity

Cons

You need to well balance you work and life.

9. Electronics Technician Trainee

Former Employee - Electronics Technician Trainee in Youngsville, LA
    Former Employee - Electronics Technician Trainee in Youngsville, LA

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package but hourly pay is a little low as a trainee starting at $19.50.

Cons

They don't tell you this but it takes about a full year as a trainee before you get your first promotion to Electronics Technician 1 even if you do everything on your checklist for your promotion.

10. Great place

Pros

So far I really like it here. There is a ton of options for career advancement here. The on boarding plan is great. Overall I really enjoy everything I have seen here.

Cons

I had to first work for about 7 months as a contractor prior to being hired full time.

11. Great Pay for Hard Work

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time

Pros

Great pay, rarely boring, dynamic work environment, hands-on. You are given a lot of responsibility early and have the opportunity to make or break your crew. Hard work is generally rewarded with special recognition from management.

Cons

Less work/life balance than a typical 9-5 job. Work outside, rain or shine. Alternating between day shifts and night shifts can take a toll on your health. Often work for days at a time in remote locations with limited or no access to healthy food. No meal per diem. Can be very high stress at times. Oil industry has ups and downs and work load and pay are affected.

Showing 1,878 of 2,005 reviews