Schlumberger Reviews

3.7
1,423 Reviews

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard
Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up (in 31 reviews)

• This company has a best Training program for its employees, Good HSE program and other Benefits (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance tends to be dismal if you're too extroverted or have a nuclear family (in 198 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunity for growth and success

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The opportunity to grow within the company is completely in your hands. I love the upward mobility.

Cons

financial policies in place keep the salaries in a non-competitive light when dealing with I.T. New leadership put in place that seemed to lack direction is also a problem for I.T.

Challenging Experience

Former Employee - Field Engineer  in  Midland, TX
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Midland, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time for more than a year

Pros

The job will give you a challenging atmosphere, you will work with many people and have a large international support base. The company is global, so there is the opportunity to work in many locations. You will be provided with a lot of training and development.

Cons

The work hours are brutal, and there is little say on location. You will likely have to move often

Overall Happy with the Experience

Current Employee - Controller  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Controller in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The sheer amount of opportunities around the world will enable you to build your career very quickly and allow you to get involved with a strong, diversified, international community. Overall, it has been a good experience.

Cons

As expected with a large corporation, there can be a lot of business politics, bureaucracy, and red tape in order to get things done in a timely and efficient manner.

Overall, this company has treated us well. However, the small things that have small costs can vastly improve the morale and productivity overall.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging Work with High Career Mobility

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

What I love most about life in Schlumberger is the variety of both work, and the teams I have interacted with. I have had the opportunity to work in a number of different job roles & for different business segments which has accelerated my personal learning curve. I think that the main driver for my happiness in the organization have been the people; most are highly motivated individuals who are keen on supporting the team objectives.

Cons

On the product development side, there has been an increase in the amount of bureaucracy (possibly a necessity in such a huge organization), this coupled with a constant work volume and no change in the level of staffing has resulted in a increase in development time for some products. Ever changing scope requirements for products.

Prior to project/program kick off ensure that the business case for projects are well defined to avoid costly scope change later in the project development lifecycle. Ensure that entry level team leaders feel empowered to make decisions to avoid them becoming jaded.

Decent projects, poor management, older workforce, and little teamwork

Current Employee - Sustaining Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sustaining Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The company has amazing benefits for its interns, free housing, free transportation to and from work. It was amazing! Also, they set up all the intern in the same hotel(s) (which are relatively near each other) so you get a chance to meet a bunch of really cool people and hang out with them daily. The pay was awesome too (even more so for ms/phD students).

The interns can quickly become your best friends and my recommendation for this job is based mostly on that.

Cons

Working in the sustaining department can be a hassle, it's a department dedicated to solving any issues with products the consumer might encounter. That being said you only exist to solve problems generated by someone else, never really getting the ability to design freely like you could in New Product Development or Manufacturing. Also the average age of the people I worked with was ~50, which meant there was a lot of talk about retirement rather than where to go out on a friday night. Also my managers (one left during my internship) never really interacted with me because they were too busy, meaning most of the time I worked on my project with little input/guidance.

Dear god hire some younger engineers and designers. In five to ten years half the staff at the center I worked at will have died of heart disease or have retired. Or both.

Awesome

I worked at Schlumberger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture and diversity was amazing

Cons

Low level of work at Pune office

More Like a University

Former Employee - Design Engineer  in  Rosharon, TX
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Rosharon, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Almost limitless opportunities to learn from some of the best and brightest in the business. Always equipped with the best tools you need to do your job. Open, friendly management.

Cons

Can be very demanding. Burnout a possibility.

Stop with the outsourcing. You're killing your quality and your employees' motivation.

Summer Intern

I worked at Schlumberger as an intern

Pros

The pay is decent for an engineering intern. The people are fun loving and hardworking

Cons

Everyone admits the work-life balance is difficult. People who become a field engineer with a significant other soon become single.

Extremely large OEM at the top of the Oilfield Services Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well, this place is really nice. The training is immense, so are the people, the money, and the land in which they serve. I have had many people influence my work, and there are a large number of ethnic and international backgrounds all at work to create something. The culture and momentum at Schlumberger is something that I would find hard to keep at other companies that I have worked for. There is a lot of knowledge to be shared and a lot of money to go around.

Cons

People move around a LOT here, so there really isn't much tenure in any one position. Managers and "higher-ups" tend to take advantage of the new people and do not truly do much work because they are delegating (I guess you could call this a good manager, but it is sometimes hard to work hard when you do not see your superiors working hard as well). In dealing with so many people and processes, there are 10s of systems, methods and things to perform which do not necessarily add up to productive time.

In the last 9 months, I have had over 8 weeks of training. Some of these things are redundant based on my degree. The company holds safety very high, but I took a training course on walking up and down the stairs - seems like overkill to me.

Show up on time to meetings. If you set the meeting up or if the meeting is set up for you, please show up on time to set a good example for those around you.

overall good experience but this company doesn't care too much about operators

Current Employee - Equipment Operator (Frac)  in  Von Ormy, TX
    Current Employee - Equipment Operator (Frac) in Von Ormy, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time for more than a year

Pros

paid training in the best facilities possible, paid cdl training, ability to learn new equipment (depending on your supervisor)

Cons

lack of care by upper management for lower level employees (operators) and much more care and consideration for Engineers.

frac operators make a lot of money for the company. learn to treat them better and you won't have a revolving door of new employees.

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!