Schlumberger

www.slb.com
  www.slb.com

Schlumberger Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.7

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard
Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up (in 32 reviews)

• Good training as you will attend at least one school per year (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Obvious work life balance though they do work with you on that when you need it (in 210 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Job

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

World Wide Organization - vast opportunities if in right spot at right time

Cons

inexperieanced Engineer's become managers and forget where they come from - they get self centered and ignorant.

don't forget the 'non' Engineer's whom have given blood, sweat and tears....

Age discriminates towards advancement. High turnover from burnout.

Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Schlumberger

Pros

Great benifits, competitive pay, training if you are liked. If you are top in your class, it does not matter what in, you will sucede, others will suffer.

Cons

Management does not have a clue about there employees capibilities.
    They do much favoritisim. Management does not care to get to know the employees.
    The first in the industry to cut jobs and use favortisim in downturns. They will terminate without cause often for silly rules like no steeltoes in a meeting etc. Lots of rules that are sometimes not well spelled out. They want criticism and safety issues brought up but only from the ones they favor, others will be ignored.
    They will hire over experienced industry personel by incompetent (inexperienced-non degreed)new hires.
    Philosophy is a young force looks productive. Looks are everything to them.
    No transfer abilities easily whithin, even though they will claim the opposite.

Learn to get to know your employees. Quit being so arragant. Quit listining to employees with no experience who kiss up for recognition. Look at the experienced employees background and the benifits you could have with your clients. I was always told in the industry about the pompous arragance of this company predominantly from there clients. Many clients refuse to use them just because of this. Managers need to quit being so ignorant, unreasonable and judgemental.

Great place to start career in oilfield, but not long term if you want to make lots of money.

Current Employee - Field Engineer Trainee in Houma, LA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer Trainee in Houma, LA

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

Great benefits package, great 401k plan, lots of training, great place to start career. It is really a Your Mileage May Vary company; also the quality of work life depends on how your management leads your business segment.

Cons

There is too much internal politics.
    Promotions and choice assignments are given out on a favoritism scale.
    An unreasonable amount of work hours put in, the managers expect employees to live, breathe, and eat Blue. But not pay for quality work.

It is common sense in the operations side of the house is that if you want the best people to work for you, then you have to pay the best salaries. Majority of field hands did not come to the oil industry for the dental plan...

Good place to work but too much politics.

I worked at Schlumberger

Pros

They respect people and create a positive working environement. Work is interesting and you can get a lot of responsibility early on.

Cons

Politics and lack of transparency in HR is very bad. Transfers/promotions is a very convoluted and opaque process. Most people don't get the transfer they want unless they threaten to quit.

More transparency. You have to help people see their personal development is valued or they will not stay and there will continue to be high turnover. Also do a better job of making sure people have the qualifications for the position that they hold.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

I love the responsibility that I have in the field. Schlumberger lets me take responsibility and make my own decisions. Love managing my crew. I would have never had the management duties this early in any other job!

Cons

Ok...so I work a lot which is ok because I love it. I can see how some people could get burnt out. This is a great job for the right person. If you aren't right for the job I can see how you could hate it.

Talk to you FEs to make sure that they aren't getting burnt out. If they are...give them some time off.

Above Average Compensation, Great Global Parent Company, Great colleagues, Poor Management, Endless Hours, Never Home

Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

- Above Average Pay
    - Great Global Corporation
    - Industry with a great future
    - Great Benefits
    - Global Opportunities

Cons

- Heavy Internal Politics
    - All sales done by VPs
    - Managers don't take time to get to your know strengths, weaknesses and interests. In fact they don't have a clue what you know or don't know.
    - You may be asked to travel 40+ hours to reach a client destination and be expected to work a full day as soon as you arrive (without a chance to sleep).
    - When having a project abroad it would not be unusual for you to have to spend 72+ hours awake, unless you are lucky enough to sleep in the plane.
    - Company is full of bureaucratic processes that invade your own privacy. For example you can't use your mobile phone in your car (even if you have a car kit built into it)...and not even when going to work or return to your home from work. Lots more restrictions like that.
    - Company is completely different in the USA than in Europe and Asia. In USA you can have a good work life balance, but if you get assigned to Europe you could end up being away from your family (in AFRICA!) for 6 months without a chance to see your babies and wife. In Asia the leadership treats employees really bad (maybe because he can find replacements easily) so beware.

I think its clear from the above comments; and given the high turnaround that we have seen in the last few years they should know that something is wrong.

Great place to work but work on not getting locked in a specific area

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

1. Smart people
    2. Good management (mostly)
    3. Proper technology focus
    4. Diversity
    5. Benefits

Cons

1. Possibility of getting locked down in one area
    2. Need to move in order for propmotion (and its impact on family)
    3. Tecnical ladder definition could be better

1. Ensure that the people understand the strategy (why are doing this?) - especially true at segment level
    2. Arrange 360 feedback for senior management
    3. Strategy for longer term : communicate

Workife at SLB

I worked at Schlumberger

Pros

1. Extremely well chalked out training program which can help to build great competencies.
    2. High mobility on the ob so within two years (during training) you get to travel al lot and after acquiring experience many other international opportunities open up

Cons

1. Very restricted growth. You do acquire knowledge and skills but in a very specific area so moving to some other speciality after a while becomes difficult.
    2. As it goes with service companies, you do have to take crap from the client.

Not sure why service companies are so ruthless at cutting down man-power during the downturn while E&P companies are not much. If this could be avoided, it'll be great.

a

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

Strong and truly International work culture

Cons

No real innovation
    To much emphasis on external collaboration vs organic growth

Develop strong core internal expertise and stop relying on excessove collaborations for building core technologies

I strong recommend Schlumberger for you

Current Employee - FSM
    Current Employee - FSM

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

Schlumberger has unique ability to identify high potential employess and develop them to succeed and their carreers as well as SLB on its business. Schlumberger believes, so I, People and technology are our main advantage in the industry.

Cons

I have no comments at this point in time on this subject. I have no comments at this point in time on this subject.

Listen to the field organization a little bit more closely, especially prior to implement to the field level any new work process