Schlumberger

Employer Engaged

Working Environment

Current Employee - Engineer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

Great company to work for, work on new technology.

Cons

Frequent change of managers and management

It all adds up

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Elk City, OK
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Elk City, OK

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Looks great on Resume

Cons

Not much of a work/life balance. Super long hours. Locations generally in the middle of nowhere.

Listen to your employees.

Internship

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Schlumberger as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked with people my age and they were all very welcoming. There was always something to do but never extremely rushed. The orientation and wrap up week for the interns was very fun!

Cons

Full time employees dont stay very long with the company, about 1-2 years at most. Long work weeks with weird hours that makes your internal body clock go out of sync. Manager never stood up for her engineers when it came to clients.

Love working here

Current Employee - MWD/LWD Field Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - MWD/LWD Field Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging and exciting work.

Cons

away from home, a lot, and long hours

Engineer

I worked at Schlumberger

Pros

Great company salary and benefits

Cons

None compared to most companies

Lots of work, lots of pay - engineer

Former Employee - Senior Field Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Field Engineer

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training, exciting (or excruciatingly boring - depending on the day) work, FANTASTIC people, travel, live abroad, tons of diversity, other companies love to recruit Schlumberger employees, welcoming and supportive of women, adventure! Ride helicopters, go places most people will never see, fast paced and demanding but rewarding work- the high of doing it well!

Cons

Long hours, almost impossible to plan ahead at most field locations, cost cutting that costs too much effort to be worthwhile, not enough women in the field (although we always had more women around than any other oilfield company, service or otherwise), can be a very difficult lifestyle for families

Hire more! We always needed more resources! People are happier when they can schedule time off knowing that there is someone there to cover for them!

Great place to work!!

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people- Company- Job- I could go on for ever

Cons

In Oil and Gas business- one is prone to lay offs

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For

Former Employee - Tech & Field Engineer in Williston, ND
    Former Employee - Tech & Field Engineer in Williston, ND

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There is a lot a training. You'll make a lot of money in the field once you break out and start making bonus. But I hear that bonus percentage has been cut recently due to the depression of gas prices. Benefits are good I guess.

Cons

Volatile job security (they just laid off 9000 employees). I only had about 5 days off away from work in the first 6 months. 5 days. The training is very intensive, yet surprisingly inefficient. They pack as many students as they can into the courses leading to laughably inefficient scheduling, and grading. Many students in the course also cheated but this was overlooked. And one student who did not cheat was sent home while the others passed the course.

Work life balance is horrible. There is virtually none. You take your original on-boarding training which was fine but you still are working 6 days a week there in OKC. Then you go to Pre-school in your assignment location which for me was Williston, ND and you act as an operator (basic laborer) for about a month and a half or however long it takes before your PEPTEC training course starts.

While in Williston, I calculated that I worked an average of 100 hours per week. While in training, I missed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years without compensation.

Also, all they're values are BS. I hurt myself on the job, and instead of actually trying to help, it felt like a witchhunt. They don't care about you, just the dollar sign next to the injury report. You also are required to sleep a certain amount before working a certain amount. They reiterate this to you over and over. Biggest joke in Schlumberger.

Stop the hazing culture that requires for you to surrender the next half decade of your early 20's to being miserable in likely the worst places you'll ever live. Its great that you did it, but that doesn't help keep people around. There's plenty of other opportunities for people to take instead.

Consultant for all Completion Down Hole Tools

Current Contractor - Consultant in La Canada, CA
    Current Contractor - Consultant in La Canada, CA

I have been working at Schlumberger as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Independent Consultant in Drilling Field ! More Business Venture than a employer Role .

Cons

Always Down hole challenges to overcome ! An complete job in a timely fashion !

Always Interested in Down Hole TOOLS !

Excellent company I work for.

Current Employee - General Operator
    Current Employee - General Operator

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are willing to put in a good days work everyday you will find SLB to be an excellent company to work for. With high pay, they welcome advancement, even encourage it. High HSE culture which is worth it's weight in Gold.

Cons

Work/life balance is non existant. You are sometimes sent into the middle of nowhere for weeks at a time and only home for 7-9 days. Kind of hard with little ones at home.

Quit rewarding people who do wrong things like drive a pickup and trailer into a ditch when you weren't allowed to drive said vehicle, then give them a specialty tool to run.