Schlumberger

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.6 1,370 reviews

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard

Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up (in 30 reviews)

• Work environment Good also with fun and rewarding (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance tends to be dismal if you're too extroverted or have a nuclear family (in 193 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights
1,370 Employee Reviews

Good company to work for

Senior Supplier Quality Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsLots of training provided, opportunities to work internationally

ConsLimited internal promotion opportunity within your group

Great Training.. no work/life balance

Field Engineer II (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSchlumberger is seen as an industry leader for training. This serves you well both during and after your career with them. You're also given many many opportunities

ConsThere is very little work/life balance as a Field Engineer with none of the perks that are supposed to accompany sacrificing that much of 3 years of your life to a company. Often, employees can get left behind in progress for their career. Also, from what I have seen and heard and experienced myself, there is no interest in the company in retaining you; you and your experience is dispensable and you are easily replaced wuth someone who will sit down and shut up.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart compensating fairly for the time engineers put in. Provide them with actual support rather than throwing them in the deep end and hanging them out to dry if they fail. Experience is actually worth something, believe it or not.. start understanding this again and the horrible retention rate of new hires will improve.

Great Technology and decent work/life balance. Lacking in compensation, benefits and respectable office space.

Business Development Manager (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat company to learn and get relevant experience. Believes in on-the job training which allows for great opportunities withing many disciplines. Worldwide presence gives a great opportunity to see many corners of the world.

ConsPay and benefits is not competitive with oil & gas companies. Poor office location and no offices.
    Executive pay is, however, higher than most oil & gas companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to be competitive for your marketplace. The compensation is nowhere near being competitive with oil & gas companies. If service industry can't pay like the oil industry for the same talent, executive salaries should follow suit. Open concept office space only works for a few job functions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospaid is great for the work you do

Conslong hours and always on call

Advice to Senior Managementmore vacation paid

Project Manager

Project Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsProvides lots of training. Technical control their own career path in a structured promotion mechanism.

ConsProject managers are usually heavily in techical contribution and they are not very well recognized.

Advice to Senior ManagementA coaching system for the junior managers might help.

Long hours = Great Pay

Equipment Operator Frac (Current Employee) Cheyenne, WY

ProsThe pay is great. Working with a team. There is a direct path for advancement. 6 days off is like a mini vacation

ConsThe hours are the hardest to get use to but it could be worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementSuggestion box for changes to be more productive in the field

An excellent place to work for a single person.

ProsBleeding edge tech. Get to work with top rate engineers.

ConsLong, long hours. Did I mention long hours?

Good place to for fresh out

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLot of trainings for employees.

ConsNo much chance to learn new things.

Great place to work and gain lab experience.

Intern (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

Prosthere are plenty of learning opportunities everyone is very helpful and you get a look into the oil/gas industry. As an intern I was given real projects and challenged.

ConsNone that I can think of, It was a great place to work. Because of my experience I have beceome more marketable in the job market.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Good

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosbig company, more sources. not bad salary

ConsIt's far from downtown. Too much to learn

Advice to Senior Managementnot working yet

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!