Schlumberger

3.7
1,497 Reviews

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard
Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up (in 32 reviews)

• Good training as you will attend at least one school per year (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Obvious work life balance though they do work with you on that when you need it (in 210 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Work 500000000 hours per week.. literally

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time

Pros

pays very well and get lots of training

Cons

there is not work life balance

Summer Intern

I worked at Schlumberger as an intern

Pros

The pay is decent for an engineering intern. The people are fun loving and hardworking

Cons

Everyone admits the work-life balance is difficult. People who become a field engineer with a significant other soon become single.

Extremely large OEM at the top of the Oilfield Services Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Well, this place is really nice. The training is immense, so are the people, the money, and the land in which they serve. I have had many people influence my work, and there are a large number of ethnic and international backgrounds all at work to create something. The culture and momentum at Schlumberger is something that I would find hard to keep at other companies that I have worked for. There is a lot of knowledge to be shared and a lot of money to go around.

Cons

People move around a LOT here, so there really isn't much tenure in any one position. Managers and "higher-ups" tend to take advantage of the new people and do not truly do much work because they are delegating (I guess you could call this a good manager, but it is sometimes hard to work hard when you do not see your superiors working hard as well). In dealing with so many people and processes, there are 10s of systems, methods and things to perform which do not necessarily add up to productive time.

In the last 9 months, I have had over 8 weeks of training. Some of these things are redundant based on my degree. The company holds safety very high, but I took a training course on walking up and down the stairs - seems like overkill to me.

Show up on time to meetings. If you set the meeting up or if the meeting is set up for you, please show up on time to set a good example for those around you.

Decent projects, poor management, older workforce, and little teamwork

Current Employee - Sustaining Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sustaining Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company has amazing benefits for its interns, free housing, free transportation to and from work. It was amazing! Also, they set up all the intern in the same hotel(s) (which are relatively near each other) so you get a chance to meet a bunch of really cool people and hang out with them daily. The pay was awesome too (even more so for ms/phD students).

The interns can quickly become your best friends and my recommendation for this job is based mostly on that.

Cons

Working in the sustaining department can be a hassle, it's a department dedicated to solving any issues with products the consumer might encounter. That being said you only exist to solve problems generated by someone else, never really getting the ability to design freely like you could in New Product Development or Manufacturing. Also the average age of the people I worked with was ~50, which meant there was a lot of talk about retirement rather than where to go out on a friday night. Also my managers (one left during my internship) never really interacted with me because they were too busy, meaning most of the time I worked on my project with little input/guidance.

Dear god hire some younger engineers and designers. In five to ten years half the staff at the center I worked at will have died of heart disease or have retired. Or both.

More Like a University

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Rosharon, TX
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Rosharon, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Almost limitless opportunities to learn from some of the best and brightest in the business. Always equipped with the best tools you need to do your job. Open, friendly management.

Cons

Can be very demanding. Burnout a possibility.

Stop with the outsourcing. You're killing your quality and your employees' motivation.

Do not Trust Schlumberger

Former Employee - General Operator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Operator in Houston, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the pro comments are true. I worked at Schlumberger for 18 years at three different locations. My efforts were rewarded with promotions and salary increase. I was personally recognized by three different presidents for "outstanding leadership" in 1980, 1988 and 1990. Most of the managers I worked under were good leaders, but of course a few had no business managing.

Cons

Schlumberger has joined the ranks of companies supporting worker compensation laws that have made lifetime medical benefits retroactively not worth the paper they are written on. See 04/28/2014 article in Texas Tribune concerning companies dropping lifetime coverage. After working at Schlumberger for 18 years and being rated as an outstanding employee, I was injured on the job. Schlumberger promised me lifetime medical care. After treating my injury for years without any issues, they have now arbitrarily dropped my medical coverage in the middle of treatment. They have refused to pay for any more treatment or or even pain medication. I have lost my home and am now totally disabled. I have no recourse due to Texas worker compensation laws. In a just world this would be criminal or at least a case of bad faith. Should you become injured at Schlumberger, do not trust them to honor written agreements for medical care.

Honor your agreements

Great company to work for

Former Employee - General Field Engineer in Evanston, WY
    Former Employee - General Field Engineer in Evanston, WY

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worldwide training and unique work, great people most of the time. Structured

Cons

Sometimes you have to assert yourself to maintain a work life balance. Sometimes encouraged to take a transfer or other position because it's "good for your career", not necessarily what you want.

If you don't burn out your employees, they will move mountains. Work with people more to find transfers that make sense for both employer and employee.

A great place to intern. Work hard, play harder!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Schlumberger as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of smart and brilliant people in the houston tech center.

Interns get a lot of support from colleagues and management. We had an intern innovation forum this summer (along the lines of Google's 80:20) with some very exciting projects and outcomes! As far as software goes, Ive met interns working on just about everything - right from algorithms heavy c/c++ to web development and everything in between. Software takes a prominent role in Schlumberger and they are not shy about investing in it!

software interns were housed at the brilliant hotel in the galleria area in Houston, also close to work ~ 2miles.

Work/Life balance was good! Quite a few happy hours, official intern events + interns organizing their own!

Cons

can't think of any cons for interns. well if there is one, its perhaps that the salaries dont match those of the silicon valley heavy weights!

very nice.

Current Employee - CNC Manchinist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - CNC Manchinist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the best coworkers and I work 1st shift

Cons

to many family working in the same location

get new manager that aren't related to employees

Learning Culture

Current Employee - Project Manager in France, ID
    Current Employee - Project Manager in France, ID

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice international place to work.

Cons

Cut off from outside world

ok