Schlumberger Reviews in Sugar Land, TX

3.7
1,415 Reviews

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard
Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up (in 30 reviews)

• Work environment Good also with fun and rewarding (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance tends to be dismal if you're too extroverted or have a nuclear family (in 193 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

64 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Challenging Work with High Career Mobility

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

What I love most about life in Schlumberger is the variety of both work, and the teams I have interacted with. I have had the opportunity to work in a number of different job roles & for different business segments which has accelerated my personal learning curve. I think that the main driver for my happiness in the organization have been the people; most are highly motivated individuals who are keen on supporting the team objectives.

Cons

On the product development side, there has been an increase in the amount of bureaucracy (possibly a necessity in such a huge organization), this coupled with a constant work volume and no change in the level of staffing has resulted in a increase in development time for some products. Ever changing scope requirements for products.

Prior to project/program kick off ensure that the business case for projects are well defined to avoid costly scope change later in the project development lifecycle. Ensure that entry level team leaders feel empowered to make decisions to avoid them becoming jaded.

Extremely large OEM at the top of the Oilfield Services Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well, this place is really nice. The training is immense, so are the people, the money, and the land in which they serve. I have had many people influence my work, and there are a large number of ethnic and international backgrounds all at work to create something. The culture and momentum at Schlumberger is something that I would find hard to keep at other companies that I have worked for. There is a lot of knowledge to be shared and a lot of money to go around.

Cons

People move around a LOT here, so there really isn't much tenure in any one position. Managers and "higher-ups" tend to take advantage of the new people and do not truly do much work because they are delegating (I guess you could call this a good manager, but it is sometimes hard to work hard when you do not see your superiors working hard as well). In dealing with so many people and processes, there are 10s of systems, methods and things to perform which do not necessarily add up to productive time.

In the last 9 months, I have had over 8 weeks of training. Some of these things are redundant based on my degree. The company holds safety very high, but I took a training course on walking up and down the stairs - seems like overkill to me.

Show up on time to meetings. If you set the meeting up or if the meeting is set up for you, please show up on time to set a good example for those around you.

Very technology forward company

Former Employee - Electronics Technician  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with a team at the forefront of technology in the industry

Cons

Upward advancement can be a struggle

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough objectives but great rewards

Current Employee - R&D  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - R&D in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I have been experiencing versatile assignments in an R&D position. You can significantly influence the area of your assignments if you could produce results. You can expect considerable ethnic / cultural diversity. This is partly because of the HR policy. The Company maintains its integrated culture by providing international assignments for those who are willing to move around.

Cons

The objectives are tough. Not too much time to work on details. The timelines are short and there is a continuous pressure to cut costs and increase margins. There is a nonstop improvement of methodology, systems, software, and reporting. Sometimes it is difficult to keep up with the changes in the internal regulations, let alone the work.

With investing in the future, we could ease the pressure in the everyday rushes. This could help to overcome competitors too.

Great Company to start a career at.

Former Employee - Designer  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Designer in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked on with a great team, had great benefits. Great starter company

Cons

I had a bad manager who didn't listen to my concerns.

Be more in tune with your employees' needs.

Awesome

Former Employee - Intern  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Schlumberger part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company , lots of opportunity to grow, great people to work with, lots of fun !

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. I cant think of anything.

As an Intern, I have been treated very well and given transportation to work plus free room and board.

Current Employee - Electrical Intern  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Electrical Intern in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They seem to really care about and take care of their employees. They spend a lot of time and resources in training. The people who I worked with on my specific project really seemed to go the extra mile to give their reasoning behind what direction I should take on the project, as well as my future career.

Cons

Obviously, a large company will be slower at making any and all decisions. Sometimes the people above me were hard to reach.

Great Job Experience

Former Employee - Mechanical Technician  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits, many locations, advance oportunities

Cons

Lay offs, Salaries, Management, etc, etc

Good company, fair salary and beneifts

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management are receptive to feedback, diverse workload, motivated attitude among the employees. Good training program and management is committed to making sure nobody falls behind on their training. While this benefits them, it is beneficial to the employee, too, as raises and promotions are heavily tied to the training program for the first three years.

Cons

Work can be tied up in the bureaucracy associated with any company of this size.

Depends on your department.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huge company with plenty of room for development.

Cons

You don't have full control of where your next assignment will be.

Open up the available job postings to internal candidates.

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!