Schlumberger

Updated January 31, 2015
3.8

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard
Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up (in 32 reviews)

• Good training as you will attend at least one school per year (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • Obvious work life balance though they do work with you on that when you need it (in 210 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

71 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Working Environment

Current Employee - Engineer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger

Pros

Great company to work for, work on new technology.

Cons

Frequent change of managers and management

That was brief.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent training programs for REMS employees, great team dynamic, enjoyable work, and solid compensation programs

Cons

Work-life balance is a constant battle.

Good place to learn.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Schlumberger hires lots of new graduates and gives them great experience and good training. They will give you meaningful work right out of school. The work is exciting and they typically hire energetic and friendly people.

Cons

They expect you to work hard and put in long hours. If you are managing your workload effectively, they will increase your workload.

Attrition could be reduced by moving people up through the ranks more quickly. People will also stay longer if the pay is more competitive.

Great

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Schlumberger is a great company to work for.

Cons

They do not pay as high as other companies

Review employees pay and make competitive with other companies

Pay attention to internal favorites

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Safety Procedures
    Training
    401k matching and benefits to include education

Cons

Stringent promotion
    Industry-competitve Compensation
    Management of job assignments

Employees are the key to your success. Without including them in your milestones, you will lose their trust. There is truth in the statement, a happy worker is a productive worker. Losing their confidence in you to act as an effective manager will ultimately result in a decreased quality output of your organization. They will be key to your success. Aligning ethical values with corporate mission can be a challenge but that is management's role everywhere. Schlumberger is no exception.

Global footprint but works you hard

Current Employee - Product Quality Manager in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Product Quality Manager in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Decent salary
    - Good rotation program for employees who like to move in different positions
    - Excellent tools and training programs

Cons

- Extremely fast paced environment
    - Over works the employees
    - The benefits for health and other employee related activities are very minimum.

Could make the discussions based on actual facts and long term rather then short time fixes.

Multi-cultural. Demanding hard work. Mediocre salary and benefits. Not efficient due to a lot of bureaucracy.

Current Employee - Tool Physicist in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Tool Physicist in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. Multi-cultural: No one feels that s/he has to adopt a certain culture to succeed.
    2. Satisfying for hard workers.

Cons

1. Mediocre salary and benefits.
    2. Not efficient due to a lot of bureaucracy.
    3. Often cut corners due to lack of personnel.
    4. Management often saves money without long-term vision.

Always remember that we should improve profit margins without sacrificing the quality control. Getting parts, components, and service in some parts of the world might be much cheaper. However, in the long run, it might not save us a lot of money, if we must have in-house quality control. Eventually this might hit our service quality and reputation.

Challenging Work with High Career Mobility

Current Employee - Team Leader in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

What I love most about life in Schlumberger is the variety of both work, and the teams I have interacted with. I have had the opportunity to work in a number of different job roles & for different business segments which has accelerated my personal learning curve. I think that the main driver for my happiness in the organization have been the people; most are highly motivated individuals who are keen on supporting the team objectives.

Cons

On the product development side, there has been an increase in the amount of bureaucracy (possibly a necessity in such a huge organization), this coupled with a constant work volume and no change in the level of staffing has resulted in a increase in development time for some products. Ever changing scope requirements for products.

Prior to project/program kick off ensure that the business case for projects are well defined to avoid costly scope change later in the project development lifecycle. Ensure that entry level team leaders feel empowered to make decisions to avoid them becoming jaded.

Extremely large OEM at the top of the Oilfield Services Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Schlumberger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well, this place is really nice. The training is immense, so are the people, the money, and the land in which they serve. I have had many people influence my work, and there are a large number of ethnic and international backgrounds all at work to create something. The culture and momentum at Schlumberger is something that I would find hard to keep at other companies that I have worked for. There is a lot of knowledge to be shared and a lot of money to go around.

Cons

People move around a LOT here, so there really isn't much tenure in any one position. Managers and "higher-ups" tend to take advantage of the new people and do not truly do much work because they are delegating (I guess you could call this a good manager, but it is sometimes hard to work hard when you do not see your superiors working hard as well). In dealing with so many people and processes, there are 10s of systems, methods and things to perform which do not necessarily add up to productive time.

In the last 9 months, I have had over 8 weeks of training. Some of these things are redundant based on my degree. The company holds safety very high, but I took a training course on walking up and down the stairs - seems like overkill to me.

Show up on time to meetings. If you set the meeting up or if the meeting is set up for you, please show up on time to set a good example for those around you.

Very technology forward company

Former Employee - Electronics Technician in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Schlumberger full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with a team at the forefront of technology in the industry

Cons

Upward advancement can be a struggle