Schlumberger

Schlumberger Reviews in Sugar Land, TX

Updated Apr 23, 2014

Schlumberger CEO Paal Kibsgaard

Paal Kibsgaard

Pros
  • Big company, relocation around the world, good salaries, prospects for going up(in 30 reviews)

• Work environment Good also with fun and rewarding(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance tends to be dismal if you're too extroverted or have a nuclear family(in 193 reviews)

• Very difficult for Mid Career, no work life balance, too much internal politics(in 45 reviews)

61 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Tough objectives but great rewards

R&D (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsI have been experiencing versatile assignments in an R&D position. You can significantly influence the area of your assignments if you could produce results. You can expect considerable ethnic / cultural diversity. This is partly because of the HR policy. The Company maintains its integrated culture by providing international assignments for those who are willing to move around.

ConsThe objectives are tough. Not too much time to work on details. The timelines are short and there is a continuous pressure to cut costs and increase margins. There is a nonstop improvement of methodology, systems, software, and reporting. Sometimes it is difficult to keep up with the changes in the internal regulations, let alone the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith investing in the future, we could ease the pressure in the everyday rushes. This could help to overcome competitors too.

Great Company to start a career at.

Designer (Former Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsI worked on with a great team, had great benefits. Great starter company

ConsI had a bad manager who didn't listen to my concerns.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more in tune with your employees' needs.

Awesome

Intern (Former Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsGreat company , lots of opportunity to grow, great people to work with, lots of fun !

ConsNothing that I can think of. I cant think of anything.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Job Experience

Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsGreat Benefits, many locations, advance oportunities

ConsLay offs, Salaries, Management, etc, etc

As an Intern, I have been treated very well and given transportation to work plus free room and board.

Electrical Intern (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsThey seem to really care about and take care of their employees. They spend a lot of time and resources in training. The people who I worked with on my specific project really seemed to go the extra mile to give their reasoning behind what direction I should take on the project, as well as my future career.

ConsObviously, a large company will be slower at making any and all decisions. Sometimes the people above me were hard to reach.

Good company, fair salary and beneifts

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsManagement are receptive to feedback, diverse workload, motivated attitude among the employees. Good training program and management is committed to making sure nobody falls behind on their training. While this benefits them, it is beneficial to the employee, too, as raises and promotions are heavily tied to the training program for the first three years.

ConsWork can be tied up in the bureaucracy associated with any company of this size.

Rewarding career

Senior Designer (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsPlenty of opportunity, you can do as much or little as you are motivated to do.

ConsThere are too many layers of management, it could easily be trimmed down.

Depends on your department.

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsHuge company with plenty of room for development.

ConsYou don't have full control of where your next assignment will be.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up the available job postings to internal candidates.

Good but could have been better

Pricipla Physicist (Current Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsPossibilities for growth in knowledge
    Knowlegeable people
    Work/life balance
    Diversity
    People, Technology, Profit values that company strives to follow
    Perception that company appreciates knowledge more than competitors
    Strong culture driven by humanist values

ConsOccasional unattentiveness from management to technical people
    Occasional perception of being treated like cost
    Pursuit of excellence may not be rewarded

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to roots (i.e. famous Paul Schlumberger letter to Conrad of June 1915)
    Nurture innovation

A top notch company in its field and in the region

Senior Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Sugar Land, TX

ProsThe opportunity to learn and become experienced in some very specific and vital areas of oil field service technology. Oilfield technology is one the most wide open development and engineering areas and Schlumberger is at the front of it. Extensive support for personal improvement in education or skills. And the opportunity to go into field work which can provide an interesting life experience.

ConsIt does have much of the typical big company bureaucracy but nothing that is overwhelming. The advancement path to high level positions is not obvious. It will take some active effort on your part to build those pathways.

Advice to Senior ManagementCarefully scrutinize who are the most productive workers and advance them in pay and position so that you have the best people leading. Don't rely on simply years of service.

Worked for Schlumberger? Contribute to the Community!