Schneider

Schneider Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Schneider President and CEO Chris Lofgren

Chris Lofgren

Pros:
  • "Good benefits with opportunity to move to different postions"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Some good people have stayed and have not left yet"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "big and some times you can be lost in the mass of people, as you move up work/life balance takes a hit"
    in 11 reviews
  • "The vast majority of opportunities lead to Green Bay"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good opportunity if you are qualified

Truck Driver (Former Employee)

ProsReliable employer, roadside assistance, bonus pay. They have many company hubs where you can refuel, shower, and park to take your break.

ConsYou are bound by a one year contract, which they will abuse by giving you shorter trips that do not pay as well.

A very good company with a little room for improvement.

Professional Driver (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay and the benefits are good, considering what other companies out there offer and if you are a Veteran then you can get extra income with the Apprenticeship program (provided you have your GI Bill benefits). Some new equipment, good facilities at operating centers with cafeterias, showers,driver services,etc. An express bay for quick fixes without having to worry about down time. So far I have been treated with respect, the office staff has been able to solve any load-related issues that arise while on the road. If you break down they will take care of you and you will not be stranded. I have seen a big amount of senior drivers who has been here for decades and I like that, very seldom do I see a driver complaining, I'm sure there is a few, I just haven't met them yet. Big focus on safety and to me that is very important. Also Schneider is very diverse, with many divisions like intermodal, bulk, flatbed, dedicated, etc. so a Driver has many choices if something doesn't work, even trading the driver's seat for an office chair, very few companies can brag about that.

ConsMicromanagement, too much focus on not going over 60mph, fuel,idling, they want 100% accuracy on nearly everything that you do and the qualcomm tracks that to the millionth of a second. Still a lot of old trucks running around and no truck wash or detail bay on any operating center which means when you get a truck you need to clean it up someone else's mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementSchneider has an in-depth screening for the hiring process, if a driver made it through and was hired to do the job because he/she was qualified, there is no need to micromanage everything they do. A truck needs a good Driver to be operated safely, it cannot be operated from an office desk, loosen up that focus on minor things and focus more on replacing those old trucks that are breaking down all the time. Also more in-depth focus on "controlled growth" would increase overall company performance, reduce overhead expenses and eliminate unnecessary reductions in force . Other than that I am proud to be an employee of your company.

Avoid their information technology shop like the plague

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Green Bay, WI

ProsI honestly cannot think of much.

ConsInformation Technology at Schneider is dysfunctional. Upper Management sets unrealistic deadlines and pushes for me to be done, come hell or high water. There is no such thing as an estimate on how long a project may take. If you estimate 120-160 hours on something, you better be able to finish it in a months time because you will get chewed out if you don't. The atmosphere has soured in the time I was there, with many senior people getting burned out leaving. IT has gone through a massive brain drain recently.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust resign.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Final and last time working for this place

Independent Contractor (Former Employee)
    Green Bay, WI

ProsSafety is about the only thing this place offers

ConsI have driven company solo, company team, dedicated, independent team, and independent solo on their "choice program" and can officially say I have worked for Schneider in every aspect related to driving except tanker. My final conclusion is eventually you will be starved out. As independent team on their "legacy program" we slowly watched our miles fall further and further at which time we chose to go solo independent. My partner and myself being located in California almost lost everything!! In the end we returned both trucks to Schneider Finance and walked away with less than $200 between the two of us, and ended up owing my family $1000's of dollars in loans just to pay bills due to being negative more than in the positive weekly. Solo freight rates on average were approx $1.15 a mile. I worked 3 months with minimal time off (4 days in 3 months) my total revenue take home for 12 weeks was $5900.00.

They starve their drivers

Driver Business Leader (Former Employee)

ProsIt paid the bills, barely..working with the drivers were great, learned a lot about transportation working here.

ConsThe team I worked on worked together well but the management kept driving them away as they had no idea what was really happening in this field office. The manager running the office would snore so loud during his afternoon nap that he could be heard by everyone in the room. He did not project good management skills or professional aptitude. "Special" employees were allowed to work from home while others were working 16 hour days consistently.
    They talk safety as being a core value but don't follow thru, their actual core value is money, not the safety of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop in at your field offices, you may find out what is really happening out there. Talk to employees at all levels to get a good cross of opinions and values.

Ok company to start. Not great for a finish.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Green Bay, WI

ProsSome good people have stayed and have not left yet. A lot of opportunities to advance or move around if you are working in Green Bay or willing to relocate to Green Bay.The corporate center is very nice.

ConsHigh turnover rate of both leaders and drivers. Not a whole lot of opportunity to advance if you are in the field, unless you are willing to relocate. I have never worked for a company before where I have seen so many well paid leaders give notice and resign. Pretty scary feeling when you think about which employer you would like to remain for retirement.

For the drivers, they have the strangest quarterly bonus program. Out of route has to be less than 2% and not a lot of clear answers in this area. A lot of grey area. If your out of route is 2.5%, there is a great chance as a driver you will not make bonus. Every driver has a scorecard for performance in areas such as out of route, safety and a couple more areas. This bonus program is extremely complicated. It almost feels like you are looking at a drivers report card in high school. No over exaggeration when I say this.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of potential. A lot of people are quitting their leaders here, not their jobs.

Good company but no advancement if you're in the field

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood people. Good culture. 401k match. Good work/life balance. No micromanagement. Foster empowerment.

ConsLimited advancement opportunities if you work in a field office unless you are willing to move to Green Bay. Poor bonus structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people in the field.

Inside Sales

Inside Sales Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat managers! Really fun company and a great job if your just old of college.

ConsA lot of turnover in sales. That's just the way it is. They definitely keep a close eye on your to make sure you are hitting your numbers.

Life with Schneider National went from pretty good to unbearable

Truck Driver (Former Employee)

ProsThe Pros all died with Don Schneider (RIP - you are missed)

ConsNo pay raises, impossible to earn bonuses, no holiday pay, poor miles, lousy communication and leadership. Leaders who lie constantly especially to our customers, making the driver look like an idiot when we are face to face with that customer and ignorant to what they think they know and what they expect us to know.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of the "drivers are a dime a dozen" mentality. Stop lying to us and especially to the customers. You falsely advertise great miles and home time. Special favors and friendships must be forged with leaders in order to get close to either one.

Good company to work for

Driver (Former Employee)
    Green Bay, WI

ProsGood benefits with opportunity to move to different postions.

ConsLarge company. Your happiness will depend on who you report to and the size of the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementLarge company and not all employees are treated equally. Try to standardize rules and policies to be followed by middle management. Some managers can be difficult to work for.

Worked for Schneider? Contribute to the Community!

Schneider Videos

Schneider – Why Work for Us?

Schneider delivers. Schneider hauls freight and lots of it. In fact, our drivers move nearly 11,000 loads each day. We carry merchandise and materials for two-thirds of the Fortune 500 companies — meaning we have a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schneider reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Schneider CEO Chris Lofgren. All 189 reviews posted anonymously by Schneider employees.