Schneider Electric

www.schneider-electric.com
Employer Engaged

Electrical Engineer at Schneider Electric Solar BU

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A life experience that teaches one how traits like dishonesty, obedience, back-stabbing, assuming other's credits get rewarded.

Cons

Directive autocratic management style where obedience is the most valued "quality". Dishonest middle management which is assuming subordinates credits, enforces decisions but does not take responsibility when things don't turn out well.
    Work-life balance:
      - if one knows much and can cover multiple areas has no life at all. Will be cynically pushed beyond any limits without any extra compensation. On the contrary due to unreasonably amount of work and pressure, he/she will inherently miss deadlines and make more mistakes that lead to poor performance reviews and penalties. In the end all the merits/successes go to middle manager.
     - employees with limited expertise have a better chance of having a better work-life balance with the same compensation like the above group and more likely to get good annual performance reviews.

Continuing on this path is alienating the experienced employees and will lead to a high turnover among the best subordinates.

Little Support

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Work/Life Blance, low stress

Cons

employee preferences are not taken into consideration, decisions are made to the detriment of all employees, management is more focused on the bottom line than on employees or customers. Collaboration is discouraged.

Follow through with commitments, don't prolong re-orgs, listen to employees

Olds school management thinking

Former Employee - Human Resources Operation
    Former Employee - Human Resources Operation

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of improvement opportunities so working here will let you learn very fast. Learn both local and French culture.

Cons

I didn't know management is so distrust of employees. We have to fill up weekly timesheet. Failing to do so will receive punishment from boss. We are told to have work life balance but cannot leave earlier than boss.

Please eliminate underperform management personnel and stop putting blame on ground people.

Management is clueless

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay scale is pretty fair. Benefits are adequate

Cons

Upper management doesn't have a clue on how to run this once great company.

Hire competent managers

One Schneider

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Billerica, MA

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Schneider Electric offers very competitive compensation for minimum effort and contribution. Work / life balance, in its unspoken and unofficial, actual practice in North Billerica definitely allows for flexibility that is fantastic for employees leading a decent family lifestyle. The work is challenging and your colleagues, for the most part, are pleasant enough and relatively friendly in most cases. And there's not a huge sense of pressure or hard deadlines. Things are pretty carefree and loose in the office regarding the pace of the actual work, timelines and overall aspects of the general work environment.

Cons

The company feels a bit 'pretend' and conveys no sense of connected communication with employees at the individual contributor level. There's a lot of surface discussion about feedback and improving the company, but not any sense of urgency or realistic action to start addressing the major company-wide issues in any reasonable projected span of time.

Because there is such a huge disconnect between the lowest level of management and the individual contributors. And because that level of management seems to be too busy managing upwards to really do much else directly with their team, you are left in a vague situation that is not only distracting and unfocused, but also tends to encourage strange team dynamics and issues that never get dealt with in a productive and meaningful way.

Like many gigantic corporations, Schneider suffers from having many disconnected silos of workers all working toward inefficient and circular overlapping efforts, sometimes even within the very same delivery team. And there is little-to no-guidance to help manage these dysfunctions and idiosyncratic bumblings.

Worst of all to me is the eerie sense that everyone is in it for the wrong reasons. There was a genuine lack of passion from members of the team I was on. They were happy and supposedly 'engaged' in the work, but I got the sense that the competitive paycheck and comfortable, unchallenging and slow-paced environment really suited the majority of employees and what they aspired to in life. No real movers and shakers from what I could see.

In the end I was discarded after trying to get support and guidance for several months from my direct manager. It was easier for the company to label me as some sort of troublemaker and dismiss me as 'not a good fit' than to put the team through a short period of slight discomfort and maybe start making reasonable progress at the pace of most other corporations out there. I'm sure its all for the best, but I was barely given the chance and my team was simply too green and xenophobic to deal with me and the vision I wanted to bring to Schneider Electric.

Just keep doing what you're doing, you're a big successful company and you really know how to lead the way.

Whatever you do, don't get old.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in O'Fallon, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in O'Fallon, MO

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the company when I started (before it was bought by the French). Personal growth and development were encouraged and rewarded.

Cons

Open office environment in St. Louis, too many folks playing while others are working. Management doesn't care, and too many people are backstabbing to get ahead. Heavy workload without commensurate compensation.

Show more appreciation for the efforts of the people who helped you get ahead.

Bad management=Bad experience

I worked at Schneider Electric

Pros

The people I worked with were very friendly, in fact I don't think I've ever gotten along better with any other co-workers. I enjoyed having lunch with them everyday.

Cons

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of the management. They are full of selfish people who are only interested in getting their own objectives accomplished. My section constantly got work piled on us even though we had a deadline for something else to meet. I was promised that I would be trained on a forklift, but they never did, and when my supervisor tried to talk to them about it, they did not respond. As such I was criticized by the management for being "too slow". How can I work fast if I'm not trained on the machine that I need to pull boxes down!! My advice is to stay away from this company.

Learn to listen to your supervisors when you are informed that more people are needed to meet a deadline. And stop blaming others for your own mistakes.

Schneider (Schneider-GSC India-Sucks !!)

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn n execute,

Cons

Lot of politics, sadism, top management make people incompetent for outside world, not safe for women as top people itself talk bad things about women in the office (even after complain no action is being taken against people holding position of VP's), Lot of good things on ppt but no connect with reality.

Walk the talk, HR function is being dominated by other managers, no focus on people growth, top mgt people talk rough & use abusive language- the same percolates down the line.

Corporate don'ts

Former Employee - Team Leader in Clovis, CA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Clovis, CA

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, average pay for the amount of work desired, educational opportunities and financial support

Cons

High paced corporate attitude, little to no consideration for hourly employees as valuable assets, little to no job security leading to low moral

When costs cutting, start at the top of the management tier and make that well known among all hourly employees.

Poor IT and HR personnel

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with people from different countries, race etc. Very diverse culture. Opportunity to work with a wide variety of products, software and solutions.

Cons

Lots of IT and HR senior management people that do not understand the business and do not care about employees. Priority is given to French or European people. Local talent is put as low priority.

Walk to talk. Senior management should get connected to the ground people. Don't go thru layers and layers of middle management and secretary. Understand the ground people.

Schneider Electric Photos