Schneider Electric

Updated December 21, 2014
3.3

Schneider Electric President and CEO Jean-Pascal Tricoire
Jean-Pascal Tricoire

Pros
  • All the managers I have had do a great job of supporting a healthy work/life balance (in 124 reviews)

• Good benefits, Nice people; Much potential to expand and grow; Good employee perks (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to working across different time zones work-life balance can be tricky to achieve (in 29 reviews)

• Making it hard for career growth and advancement even if you were trained for next position (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

An OK place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Expert in West Kingston, RI
    Current Employee - Technical Expert in West Kingston, RI

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are solid but continually costing the employee more
    Good colleagues
    Internal mobility is promoted and there are jobs - especially if you are able to relocate.

Cons

Salary is not competitive when moving internally. I hear it is better if you are hired from the outside.
    Lack of coordination between departments and business units can be frustrating and causes more work for everyone.
    Expect layoffs anytime performance isn't meeting goals.
    Work-Life balance could be better. Job requires me to be available at all hours of the day.

Follow through on company initiatives

Good team work, broad portfolio, very global culture

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What we do is really making an impact on the plant - the only way to make our resources last is be energy efficient and thats what we help companies and cities do!

Cons

Very poor internal IT systems, most people have been here for a very long time

Invest in the technology platform and stick with one strategy

Great company, great benefits, great opportunities (Energy Solutions)

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company values are top-notch
    Work-Life Balance is insane. Always felt like my personal life was almost more important than my professional one.
    Great culture. In and out of the office the people were always nice to be around
    Competitive Pay

Cons

I really don't have too many negative things to say. Possibly relocation can be tough, and the job itself was pretty boring. Also, my job was very client-facing and I wanted to get away from that.

Kill the clients. Murder them all. (Kidding...) (Kind of...)

Great growth opportunities.

Former Employee - Director Strategic Programs in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Director Strategic Programs in Denver, CO

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A large company with many business units and acquisitions which allows for advancement

Cons

You have to be willing to relocate for advancement unless you are already in one of the major business hubs.

The constant organizational changes often stunt business growth.

Great company - forward thinking, employee focused, and industry leader

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has a great strategic growth model and leadership are always watching mega trends to ensure that Schneider stays relevant and aligned with customers needs. Lots of cross business opportunities and growth potential and good competitive salary. Also, great work life balance!

Cons

Growth and company acquisition can make processes a little frustrating. Also need more focus on country process and less global process as it hinders business with customers.

Continue to listen to your customers and your employers and you will continue to be a leader!

Its really good place to learn new things

Current Employee - Java Intern Developer in North Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Java Intern Developer in North Andover, MA

I have been working at Schneider Electric as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I met so many people who are coding yet they are from all sorts of background ranging from industrial engineering to com science)

Cons

more and more stress on programming needs to be done.

Should have more programming competitions like kackathon and involve more people in learning cool technologies like angular nodeJs etc.

The people make the company

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As legacy Summit Energy, the feel of working for a small business has been preserved as much as possible. People care about each other in the office, and you're encouraged keep your home life a priority.

Cons

Schneider is a large company, so Summit has had to expand to match, but the resources we've been given to do so seem inadequate. The work load keeps increasing, but the number of bodies to spread it between/compensation for added responsibility do not.

It will come sooner than you think that people will need incentives to stay.

Not an IT Friendly Company

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm not sure if this is a pro, but there's a sense of job security because there's always so much to do. This is likely because the company trims employee head count from various departments, but the same level of work remains, often leaving those lucky enough to keep their job with the responsibilities of many.

Cons

The company wants as little as possible to do with IT. They would rather "manage" others doing the work, so the company seems to be stocked with plenty of project managers organizing and gathering data. These are also the people who seem to receive the accolades when projects finish successfully, not the people who actually did the work. They outsource as much IT as possible even when it's vastly cheaper to keep in house. I have yet to see an acquisition that has not had at least a portion of their IT outsourced when purchased by Schneider Electric. There are tons of acquisitions and while they try to bring these companies into the Schneider Electric fold as best as they can, it's near impossible to standardize equipment and processes which can cause problems when changes are not communicated.

Job seekers reading these reviews should be careful to not assume the things written by others are standardized. I saw someone say working from home is an option for Fridays, but that may be location, department, or business unit specific, and there are hundreds if not thousands of those all with various nuances.

I wish I could say something that would be taken into consideration, but if they didn't listen to the warnings of outsourcing costs and delays before it happened, I doubt they would listen now. I'll end with this. Despite every other negative about outsourcing you were warned about, one thing nobody ever seemed to realize is how this would all affect the end user. When it takes three months to accomplish something that used to take three hours, how do you think those delays trickle down to employees trying to get things done? Outsourcing has slowed down projects considerably while the costs have skyrocketed. How do you think it looks to prospective customers that a company who sells datacenter solutions doesn't even manage its own datacenters?

A company with a great vision experiencing growing pains

Current Employee - Director in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Andover, MA

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The total compensation package is good. The mission of the company to be global specialists of energy management is something that resonates well. The values of the company are well aligned to the mission and vision. There is a lot of career growth opportunities if you want an international assignment.

Cons

Through all of the acquisitions the company has made over the past few years, a pervasive bloated bureaucracy has emerged. There is some kind of a new corporate initiative rolled out every time an new VP position gets announced. If you take an international assignment be aware that you are on your own to find a new position in the company if you ever want to return to your home country.

Keep focusing on the vision and the mission of the company. The people related initiatives are helpful in building a single Schneider Electric culture but get rid of the painful HR tools we're expected to use to implement them!

Great pay, benefits, and flexibility but bad company morale and communication.

I worked at Schneider Electric

Pros

Competitive pay and great benefits package including health, 401k, stock options, etc. Very open to telecommuting.

Cons

The company has grown too big, too fast and seems to have acquired products that don't fit into it's bigger plan. Very poor communication from the top down and bad etiquette when it comes to layoffs and inter office romances. Difficult to understand Schneider Electric's overall offer and company vision. Things move very slowly and nothing ever seems to get done.

Communicate better with your direct reports and ensure they are cascading information to their teams.

Schneider Electric Photos