Schneider Electric

Updated December 14, 2014
3.3

Schneider Electric President and CEO Jean-Pascal Tricoire
Jean-Pascal Tricoire

Pros
  • All the managers I have had do a great job of supporting a healthy work/life balance (in 124 reviews)

• Good benefits, Nice people; Much potential to expand and grow; Good employee perks (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Due to working across different time zones work-life balance can be tricky to achieve (in 29 reviews)

• Making it hard for career growth and advancement even if you were trained for next position (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

I've never worked anywhere that fired as many people as at Schneider Electric

Current Employee - Software Developer in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interesting work, good benefits, good co-workers, reasonable work-life balance.

Cons

Dissenting opinions not welcome, only extroverts are valued, frequent firings, slow and unreliable network.

Learn to respect and value a diversity of personality types. Don't fire people just because they don't suck up to you.

Project engineer

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, and very approachable upper level management.

Cons

Bad pay, benefits or very average, I was told I would be doing one thing and I'm doing the complete opposite. There is no official training it's kind of just learn as you go, with minimal manager involvement

Better organization, better allocation of employees and better new hire training.

Stable company, great work life balance. Ultimately depends on what team you are assigned to and manager skill-set.

Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Compensation Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work liife balance, option to work from home on Fridays. Great benefits, training available. Room for growth, especially for fresh outs or professionals in the early years of their career, great place to start.

Cons

Not much employee interaction at headquarters, most departments stick to themselves. Long commute for city dwellers. Many business units operate separately, must really network to move ahead. Some managers lack people and communications skills and should not be in management positions but roll into these roles after 15/20 plus years w/the company.

Allow for employee feedback on the manager level, often leadership is not engaging enough with their teams and employees do not get the attention, development they deserve. (As a result lose talent) Everything SE preaches in it's initiatives needs to be practiced more on the management level, HR should work much closer to evaluate management and senior leadership on their effectiveness as managers and current skill set.

totally stockholder driven

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay was pretty good.

Cons

totally stockholder driven, will lay good people off to make the numbers

none

Not worth the stress

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have great insurance and the pay is good as well.

Cons

If you work for the Square D part of the company they will not prepare you for your role. I did not receive proper training for my role as a project manager and was told I would "get the hang of it" after a while. Because of this I have made many mistakes and have been yelled at by customers countless amount of times. Also if you are a project manager expect to be treated poorly by your peers, everyone will be pushy and expect you to only pay attention to their projects. Management will constantly have re-org to improve the process but no one at the field office level will listen to it thus making your job more difficult. The Square D side of this company operates in the stone age using programs that are not only terrible to work with but also 20 years old.

Follow through with your re-org and tell your sales people to do their jobs and not others.

Constant changes in direction; below average pay; "B" players rule

Former Employee - Anonymous in North Kingstown, RI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in North Kingstown, RI

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

International exposure for some job functions; constant changes in direction enable exposure to many job roles; if you're smart, you'll use your experience here to find a better job at a better company

Cons

Job openings often aren't even posted -- they are allocated to "chosen ones." French culture means egregious (bad) behavior that wouldn't stand up to American labor laws. Lower than average pay. Much of the work force is comprised of people who have never worked anywhere else so there are a lot of "B" players. Bad managers are not fired for years -- simply passed from job to job.

Open your eyes and clean house. Promote the people who are "A" players and lose the favoritism for those who politic for the next job role. Lose the managers who contribute nothing.

Typical cube farm mentality using 10 year old software

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Had a qtrly bonus plan the last year I was there. I could work from home 3 days a week. Benefits just average.

Cons

Cube farm. 12-13 hour days for me when I left. Graying employee base being replaced by young punks with no real world experience. Decent benefits but nothing special. Hard to take vay cay with no back up. Forget sick days. They dont exist. Ancient software and apps. New apps worse than old apps. Low bid hardware with 3 year leases. Outsourced and off shored all internal IT and tech support that is just terrible.

Cube farms suck. Develop or buy good software and apps. Bring back employee IT and tech support. Stop off shoring and out sourcing everything. Hire enough people so your employees can take vacation and sick days.

Overall just an ok experience.

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits and compensation. Excellent new building in the area. Hours are flexible.

Cons

Company is geared toward everything being overseas. Very difficult to work for a company that is constantly taking jobs away and outsourcing them.

My experience....6.5 yrs

Current Employee - Anonymous in West Kingston, RI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in West Kingston, RI

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cons

Too many young people with little to no experience; Career growth is only possible if you have connections; Everything is controlled by sales; No process is ever followed; Angry customers threaten to take business elsewhere; Lack of ethic and responsibility from the newer college grads. If management actually listened or read the surveys, they would know this. Their idea of corporate life is not for simple, family-oriented individuals. Every day is like high school all over again. I miss professionalism and seeing hard work pay off.

Please stop hiring know it all team leaders who know nothing about the work, because it only hurts the teams! Help your employees grow, not just talk about it. It doesnt matter how many jobs are open, if the managers get to choose friends over others. Offer skills training classes and be the leaders that we believe you are. Everyone likes their job, but were starting to feel like a number.

Global specialist in energy management offering endless opportunities for career development.

Current Employee - Buyer
    Current Employee - Buyer

I have been working at Schneider Electric full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for job growth, very competitive benefits, flexible work schedules, and a multitude of office locations are only the start of the great things about working for Schneider. I love going into work every day and knowing that I am actively contributing to making our earth a more sustainable place.

Cons

Some people have complained that they don't make enough money, but I have been satisfied with my compensation. Also, office politics can get in the way of progress sometimes, but I am sure that is true of many places.

Hold more town-hall style meetings to get feedback from the "soldiers on the ground." Many of us have great ideas to contribute!

Schneider Electric Photos