Schneider Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Schneider President and CEO Chris Lofgren
Chris Lofgren

Pros
  • Good benefits with opportunity to move to different postions (in 14 reviews)

• Good Company to work for with a decent salary and good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, as with all OTR jobs no work-life balance, more concerned with office workers than drivers, no APUs freeze in winter boil in summer (in 12 reviews)

• The vast majority of opportunities lead to Green Bay (in 9 reviews)

1. Long term perspective - Great Company

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great core values that are actually lived out. Unlimited potential to move into different roles and areas of interest if at corporate in Green Bay, WI.

Cons

Limited roles in field locations.

Advice to Management

Look at and consider how to make more roles work remotely.

2. Transportation operations research

Current Employee - Logistics Engineer in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Logistics Engineer in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very nice people to work with. Friendly and professional. Like a family.

Cons

Very Small city, there's not much to do in Green Bay.

Advice to Management

Be a good role model

3. customer service rep

I have been working at Schneider full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money isnt bad and there is stable work

Cons

Workload too much, training not the greatest and supervisors can be resistent to advise. Burnout

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people under you... most of us know what we are talking about.

Play Dumb

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, lots of opportunities to move around. Management (where I work, anyways) listens to "the trenches" when it comes to process improvement, allowing ambitious associates to cultivate a portfolio of effective "cost-savings" decisions. Pay is OK if you're younger or have minimal debt/responsibility. I also really like the approachability of middle and upper management where I work. They come to us regularly for insight into an issue, we can go to them for advice/resources and it allows us as a unit to effectively service our customer (and that makes everyone's lives easier). Resources to do my job are at most times more-than-adequate. It is not difficult to report an IT/software issue and have the situation rectified or at least made visible to the owning parties. Profit sharing is cool (I'd rather have OT). Benefits exist.... I've had better and had far worse so I can't bash too hard.

Cons

Extremely clique-y. You could have the reasoning capacity of a fern, but if your manager likes you; you don't have to worry and they'll even stick up for you when you fail miserably at your job and are being called out on it regularly by coworkers and customers. If you're the 'ambitious associate' I mentioned in Pros, guess what? You get to roll out pilot programs, you're the one tasked to fit in extra 'projects' into an already ridiculously busy day. Corporate policy (like no OT) means you get to figure out how 10 hours of work turns into an 8 hour day and make all parties involved happy. Often, I feel as though I made a huge mistake in being good at my job. If I did the bare minimum and just met my metrics and didn't apply any critical thinking skills; I could be making just as much money but with half the stress involved. No formalized training for office associates, you get to learn on the fly and all through "Tribal knowledge" and if that doesn't line up with "the process" you will hear about it (Even though it's what everyone else does). Basically, you learn when you mess up, which can be a traumatic/uncomfortable experience for some. This is even worse on the temps, who get maybe a few hours' of instruction on a mind-numbing task, and are set up to do that indefinitely until they quit, the manager asks for them to be reassigned, they're hired FT (which seems to be that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for most temps even though the staffer, Kelly Services boasts something like 90% FT placement of temps) or they are just outright terminated through the staffer. I've befriended several temps who, based on experience (upwards of a year for many) and feedback in interviews were confident of a job offer and told they fit the bill, BUT oh! Turns out they offered that job to a preexisting Full-timer who was just tired of their current position! Doesn't matter what they do or do not know about the role; if they have any credibility with the group making the hiring decision, they're in and the temp is soon thereafter notified that their contract with Schneider is slated to end soon thereafter. I see it as a bit of a slap in the face, since many temps bust their butts to stand out and get hired on.

Advice to Management

Recognize the work your temps do and identify your in-house problem-children and deal accordingly... You folks go through temps like nobody's business.. maybe have the courage to identify and eliminate/encourage reassignment to associates that cause issues/frustrations with customers and teammates.. I am regularly amazed by the work ethic/character of a temp versus a FT employee... You have a bunch of tenured associates who have been doing basically the same thing for 10 years and don't care or don't bother to learn....how do you not notice that? I don't remember "Just getting by" being a part of the Mission statement or Core Values. Offer some incentive to the innovate! If I save you x amount of dollars per day/load on identifying a process improvement, why can I not be compensated (x-5) or something? I feel like I am in a position that my decisions and process steps take a direct role in saving/losing money for a customer or the company... Critical thinking skills apply! Something that is in hot demand in all fields! Why is it I cannot be more adequately/directly recognized/rewarded for my efforts, while, for example a similarly placed associate who does the bare minimum gets the same cut as me. They benefit from the actions of the people you should want at your company, while making poor decisions and increasing the workload for associates that have a measure of efficacy in resolving situations plus inducing a customer to associate us with crappy/ineffectual service. I am giving a low rating on "Culture and Values" as I think you fail miserably at practicing what you preach in the office setting. The way the "respect for all" value often usurps the values of "integrity in every action" and "excellence in what we do" is alarming. Quite frankly, at a ground level, "respect for all" is not exhibited. Integrity is not in every action as demonstrated in my previous statements about your tenured associates that just don't care or don't bother to care. Yet if someone is called out on [more or less] failing the "integrity" and "excellence" values and are called out on it by coworkers (because it duplicates work, causes rework or creates a whole new situation) they are entitled to say their "respect" is violated. Stop playing favorites. Keep up the great accessibility/comm flow of management-CS ... It's needed for us 'critical thinkers'... we can't put the puzzle together without us each bringing our pieces!

6. Great Job

Current Employee - Carrier Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Carrier Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great starting Job, great culture, great people

Cons

Hard to move up, difficult to get past the goal to obtain commission.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities

7. Average trucking company in a very competetive industry

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Lima, OH
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Lima, OH

I worked at Schneider

Pros

Home every night on certain accounts, as I was.

Cons

Management is condescending to drivers

Advice to Management

The drivers are not beneath you.

8. good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Schneider full-time

Pros

pay is decent and other perks

Cons

so much work load its stranious

Advice to Management

please appreciate drivers more

Good Company to work for

Former Employee - Commercial Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Commercial Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Schneider full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They always take care of you and get any issues worked out. They have very clean and new trucks and equipment. Very nice terminals and facilities available are much nicer than most other companies.

Cons

Long waits on the phone most of the time. A lot of live load freight waiting to be loaded and unloaded.

10. Sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider

Pros

Decent training with managers. Money is fine. Hours are good. Employees are nice. Good location, nice building. Supervisors were nice.

Cons

Lots of work for mediocre pay, basically sit at a desk and cold call all day. Boring work, makes day drag on. No real opportunity for advancement, which they say there would be.

11. " Has good pros, but more cons"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Elwood, IL
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Elwood, IL

I have been working at Schneider full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If your somebody looking to make money to support your family, Schneider pays better than most warehouses. Some associates are amazing to work with. The job will keep you busy and if you want to lose weight or get in shape Schneider is the place to be.

Cons

Managers are often oblivious to what is going on the dock. Hard to transfer to different positions because of upper management. It took 2 1/2 years to get a raise. Managers are constantly changing the rules for their benefit, they also completely ignored our concerns while working in the flow department, some employees are protected due to a favoritism issue, a lot of employees get away with talking, driving equipment recklessly, and other factors that make this job really difficult to work.

Advice to Management

Attitude reflects leadership. Being honest and upfront to the workers and the relationship will translate into better results. Be respectful towards the loaders and unloaders whom at times will work in a trailer or container that ranges from temperatures of freezing in the negatives to 100 + with the index, these are human beings not robots.

RSS Feed </> Embed