Schneider

Updated December 10, 2014
Updated December 10, 2014

Schneider President and CEO Chris Lofgren
Chris Lofgren

Pros
  • Good benefits with opportunity to move to different postions (in 14 reviews)

• Good Company to work for with a decent salary and good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • big and some times you can be lost in the mass of people, as you move up work/life balance takes a hit (in 12 reviews)

• The vast majority of opportunities lead to Green Bay (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

VERY POOR CHOICE

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Schneider full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to get your blood pressure raised.Great place to work on anger management.

Cons

poor pay average .34 cent per mile. Poor maintenance on trucks ,Driver Business Leaders are worthless ,2nd and 3rd shift support are worthless, Schneider emergency maintenance is a joke. Company needs an overhaul from the top down.Yes this includes the CEO.Waste money on worthless stuff. 60 mph trucks. You are just a number. You will be lied to. No accountability for load planners . Drivers blamed for a lot of things that are not their fault in wrecks.

Run local trucks on 200 miles or less trips. 2nd shift support and first need to communicate. Keep regional drivers in their regions .Pay higher pay for drivers who travel up in to the North East. Turn all trucks to 65 mph. This will not get worse fuel mileage. You are stupid if you think so.Watch you tube videos.10 mpg with trucks running 65-68 mph. Freightliner cascadias.It is a shame I have drove for over 15 yrs now and have never been treated so bad by a company. Maintenance is a joke. trucks not completely service correctly.Items not repaired. No checks and balances.

It's better than JB Hunt

Current Employee - Local Inter-modal Driver in Mid City West, PA
    Current Employee - Local Inter-modal Driver in Mid City West, PA

I have been working at Schneider full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent I guess, work schedule is nice and that is where the pros stop if you ask me

Cons

The slip seating, (having to wait for a truck to start your day) the optimiser (being dispatched by a computer program instead of a live person), and I can't forget about the truck's (wet roads= no traction because they are automatic, some have tag axles).

Why say anything, they know everything because they are college educated

Management doesn't care about its drivers

I have been working at Schneider full-time

Pros

I can't think of anything good to say.

Cons

Mechanics do not fix the trucks properly, the dispatchers send you out on scheduled days off.

Worry more about the people that make you money instead of the shareholders.

pure cold calling

I have been working at Schneider full-time (less than an year)

Pros

really cool people. The management is really good for the most part.

the company has decent values and keeps work entertaining. its about as good as an entry level cold call sales gets.

Cons

only a few people are making good money, which they boost as though each seller is hitting 100k+. it is pure cold calls all day every day. 85 calls, 2 hours of talk time. even then you have a chance at getting yelled at.

also, i was told this would be a field sales position until the minute i started. the deception really got me.

lighten up. be able to accept people's efforts. praise people for what they accomplish. acknowledge them and make people feel ok.

"AS LONG AS ITS NOT TAKING AWAY MONEY FROM SCHNEIDER'S POCKETS NOTHING ELSE MATTERS."

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Schneider full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was lucky enough to get a Newer model Tractor (2011 FRIEGHTLINER). Most of the terminals were pretty decent (the other half your better off finding a truck stop). Allot of Taining, Safty Training which is always good. I was able to pick my days off for each month.My days off were honored for the most.

Cons

The other 6 classmate weren't so lucky, they got 2002-2005 FRIEGHTLINERs. They complained every day about something not working on the older model trucks. The tanker trailers are old, dirty, rusted, dented and parts falling off. You have to work there 1year to get 7days paid (Gross $500 for 7 days) Vacation. The benefits are horrible they have their own insurance which most people Opt-Out. They have allot of sensors in the tractors that tells them instantly if your over speeding (3 mph over the governer speed which is 59mph ) if you turn fast or brake too hard; they call these "Critical Event". If you recieve too many "Critical Event" in 30day period thats grounds for termination. Theres allot of micro management. The Estimated Salary for the year was a LIE!!!. Im Regional driver and I made little over $30000 annual. My classmate drove over the road (OTR) he made $35000 in one year. I average 1000-1500 miles per week. I was told by Schneider i would avg 2000-2500 miles per week; "Thats a Lie!!!" BONUS thats a Myth! "Bonuses" are give every Quarter/3months ($400-600). There are so many things that you as a driver can and will do to prevent you from getting that "Bonus". Ive yet met a driver from Schneider that recieved a "Bonus". Schneider has a High Turn Over Rate. The instructor at Schneider told us out of the class of 7, only 1 will remain with this company a year from now; And he was Right!!!. I work 12-14 hours 7days a week, away from my families, sleeping in a truck, transport Hazardous Chemicals, driving a vehicle that weigh 78000lbs in all types of weather for $400-$600 pay check every week!!!??. I did my One Year. This is my last week. Dueces!!!

ALL THESE BIG COMPANIES ARE THE SAME. FIND A SMALL FAMILY OWNED COMPANY. EVENTUALLY BUY YOUR OWN TRUCK AND BE YOUR OWN BOSS. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE LEASE TO OWN PROGRAM AND GET TRAPPED IN A BINDING CONTRACT FOR 5 YEARS.

Value your Drivers. We are the ones bringing in the "milk and honey" for Schneider National. The Pay is horrible. Its 2014 truck driver's have a life after we park Schneider's trucks. We can't sustain our families and bills with $400-$600 pay check. I spoke with several other Schneider drivers and they complain every week about not been able to make ends meet; because we are under paid. We are out there putting our lives and others on the line for "peanut money". These reviews will reach the eyes of many. Schneider Management fix these problems that currently exist and stop ignoring us.

Be cautious of their new program

Former Employee - Bulk Driver in La Réserve (Haiti)
    Former Employee - Bulk Driver in La Réserve (Haiti)

I worked at Schneider full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly local office personnel. They will train you for 65.00 a day over n over. You provide your own food and you can sleep in their trucks.

Cons

They are advertising fraudulently. I left a job with in writing 50k to 70k job expectations. They lost 50milliion in contracts just recently and have yards of parked trailers and trucks. Reserve LA lost 21 drivers in last week or so....trained drivers.

Act ethical it is kids and families that suffer when people fall victim to false advertisements. Please, note facts are as per Schneider management person to myself direct comments.... No here say rumors all of this review is first hand with no rumors. My last check was 296.00 gross for over the road work for five days out. Needless to say I am college educated and my last job was with same employer for 18years. This company is borderline scam artists cashing in on government Va/work programs.

Cold Calling and Luck of the Draw

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Schneider full-time (more than an year)

Pros

M-F, Downtown, Young Office, Mostly energetic

Cons

150 Cold calls a day
    Management is not true management, just people who were good account executives
    Hope you get lucky and make the right cold call otherwise you're screwed
    Creepy, older management guys.

Hire real managers, not account executives that have been there longest.

Avoid their information technology shop like the plague

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider full-time

Pros

I honestly cannot think of much.

Cons

Information Technology at Schneider is dysfunctional. Upper Management sets unrealistic deadlines and pushes for me to be done, come hell or high water. There is no such thing as an estimate on how long a project may take. If you estimate 120-160 hours on something, you better be able to finish it in a months time because you will get chewed out if you don't. The atmosphere has soured in the time I was there, with many senior people getting burned out leaving. IT has gone through a massive brain drain recently.

Just resign.

Life with Schneider National went from pretty good to unbearable

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

I worked at Schneider full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Pros all died with Don Schneider (RIP - you are missed)

Cons

No pay raises, impossible to earn bonuses, no holiday pay, poor miles, lousy communication and leadership. Leaders who lie constantly especially to our customers, making the driver look like an idiot when we are face to face with that customer and ignorant to what they think they know and what they expect us to know.

get rid of the "drivers are a dime a dozen" mentality. Stop lying to us and especially to the customers. You falsely advertise great miles and home time. Special favors and friendships must be forged with leaders in order to get close to either one.

Whatever the recruiter tells you..get in writing

Current Employee - Dedicated Driver in South Boston, VA
    Current Employee - Dedicated Driver in South Boston, VA

I have been working at Schneider full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Schneider National itself (ie Charlotte office) really has it together..thorough training..good benefits

Cons

Dedicated offices very poorly ran, poor communication between warehouse and main office..breakdown in company policy and procedure,alot of "passing the buck" with little results in the end..trucks poorly taken care of constant issues which delay routes

Bridge the gap between main office and dedicated offices..honor what recruiter tells prospective employees..follow through on complaints promptly