Schneider

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014

Schneider President and CEO Chris Lofgren
Chris Lofgren

Pros
  • Good benefits with opportunity to move to different postions (in 14 reviews)

• Good Company to work for with a decent salary and good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • big and some times you can be lost in the mass of people, as you move up work/life balance takes a hit (in 12 reviews)

• The vast majority of opportunities lead to Green Bay (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Depends if you are a driver or office employee

Former Employee - Support Shift Representative
    Former Employee - Support Shift Representative

I worked at Schneider full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable job, decent pay (worked in office), enjoyed the people on my team

Cons

I worked in support shift and left because I couldnt believe the lack of communication between departments and shifts so when 1st shift was done and there was a problem a driver had...you looked terrible because you had no idea what was happening. The lack of urgency to help the drivers blew my mind. my previous job before that...you would've been fired having drivers wait so long on hold. i wouldve never left my previous job but everyone thinks its a coveted office job...so i thought it was going to be an opportunity of a lifetime. When earlier shifts tell a driver to start his day and go on in for midnight or middle of the night and the place isn't actually open...I felt absolutely terrible.

people fail to remember that the drivers are the MOST IMPORTANT part of the company. without them, there is nothing. no company or cushy office jobs. I left because of this and went to a different trucking company who saw the importance of urgency so the drivers can make money. I know a lot of drivers hated calling support shift because our hands were tied and I understand why but it makes it hard when you care so much and feel terrible after your phone call but other people give us a bad rap.

Bottom line...everyone needs to respect the drivers.

Same as above...Also to recognize people for their work they do.

lease operator

Current Employee - Lease Operator in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Lease Operator in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Schneider full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

run your own show on choice program , make as much as you are willing to work for, have plenty of good paying freight

Cons

must be diligent in what you do , spend hours on load board learning freight lanes and customers , but well worth the effort if willing to work hard

Good company if trucking and logistics is your career path.

I worked at Schneider

Pros

Opportunities to learn a lot about the industry. Customers include many fortune 1000 shippers.

Cons

Has become a revolving door for some good talent.

Much improved experience this time around

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Schneider full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Always pay on time, good benefits, good training, consistent work. Hard work is rewarded and recognized, and my leadership team knows me by my first name.

Cons

Support shift (second and third shifts), have very little decision making power, or will to make decisions. Keep your dispatchers cell number handy. Maintenance is slow pretty much everywhere. Be prepared to sit/layover if you have anything remotely serious wrong with your truck.

I've spent hours on the side of the road, and days at operating center maintenance facilities. We need to speed up this process. I see improvements everywhere in the company, but maintenance seems to have slowed to a crawl. I used to love the Evergreen site in Alabama...they did a quick, great job.

Schneider National Review - Finance Intern

Former Employee - Finance Intern in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Finance Intern in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Company sticks to its core values. Employees are very helpful to those who are just starting out. Given the ability to speak with employees in other departments to get a better understanding of different aspects of the business

Cons

Job can be rather boring as the same thing is done day after day. No plan is established to moving from an intern to a full time employee when schooling is complete.

Further develop your internship program. Currently it is just cheap labor for doing repetitive jobs.

Awsome

Current Employee - Management Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Management Analyst in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Schneider as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Actively hire prior Military members

Cons

None to mention. They treat you fair.

Keep hiring Military

Business Systems Analyst & Project Manager

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst & Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst & Project Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Schneider as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work and learn many things useful in long career

Cons

nothing much to share about this company and good to work

Nothing much to advise they have separate team

It's better than JB Hunt

Current Employee - Local Inter-modal Driver in Mid City West, PA
    Current Employee - Local Inter-modal Driver in Mid City West, PA

I have been working at Schneider full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent I guess, work schedule is nice and that is where the pros stop if you ask me

Cons

The slip seating, (having to wait for a truck to start your day) the optimiser (being dispatched by a computer program instead of a live person), and I can't forget about the truck's (wet roads= no traction because they are automatic, some have tag axles).

Why say anything, they know everything because they are college educated

You can find a very rewarding path at Schneider. It's on your shoulders to make your path.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Schneider is a company of integrity. They will at times put themselves in a position to lose business in order to do things the right way. This is true through all parts of the company. Schneider has an incredible track record as a leader in safety and they spend a lot of time and effort to continue to lead their industry in that regard. The company has several different lines of business, so it is possible to experience different projects and objectives and grow in different ways. Most managers support working-from-home if the work permits. Schneider is very supportive of families and the community.

Cons

Schneider doesn't take developing their employees seriously. They require a development plan, but they do not put up the dollars or training necessary to truly invest in their employees. Any development is truly self-development. Schneider also lumps large numbers of employees into the same classifications. Therefore, promotions are few, far between, and usually very overdue. Leadership development is virtually non-existant. Leaders step into their roles completely unprepared. Some grow into the roles and some do not.

You're pushing your best and brightest out the door by failing to provide opportunities for development and leadership. As a result, there is a growing leadership void.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great people and good work life balance. The corporate culture relay cares about the people working together and having the resources needed to get the job done.

Cons

Requires a lot of self management. It is very difficult to get situated as a new hire at this company because they have such a high retention rate they rarely train new people and it shows.

Help new hires acclimate and have more productive work available. It would also be more productive to give contractors similar office facilities to direct employees preforming the same tasks.