Schneider Reviews

Updated October 9, 2014
2.9

Schneider President and CEO Chris Lofgren
Chris Lofgren

Pros
  • Starting pay & benefits are good (in 13 reviews)

• They give plenty of time off and a good work - life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • big and some times you can be lost in the mass of people, as you move up work/life balance takes a hit (in 11 reviews)

• The vast majority of opportunities lead to Green Bay (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Safety First and Always

I have been working at Schneider full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many people who have grown up with the company and truly bleed orange.

Cons

There are so many people who have grown up with the company and feel ideas tend to get muddled.

When making organizational changes, its important to pay attention to the employees and customers. To help employees grow, its important to have some consistency. 8 leaders in less than a year in a half is exhausting.

It's a job...

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Schneider full-time

Pros

They are flexible with schedules, especially for families. There is free onsite physical therapy, which is nice considering the cost of one at a doctor's office.

Cons

Don't expect to change positions unless you're a brown noser. It's all about who you know and what they can do for you, rather than how well of a worker you are.

Give people a chance. Don't just hire someone based on how well they suck up to you and how outgoing they may be. Even though interviewing might not be their strongest suit, more reserved individuals can be some of your best performers.

Schneider Glass Ceiling

Former Employee - Logistics Analyst in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Logistics Analyst in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Finding another job outside of this organization !! Keep looking past this company, unless you are not looking for advancement.

Cons

There is a mid level management glass ceiling you can not break threw unless you have been an officer in one of the military services.

it's a check

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Houston, TX

I worked at Schneider (less than an year)

Pros

they show you how to get your class A CDL that's about it

Cons

Dispatcher!!!!!!!!!!! said I was suppose to be in Dallas after he send me to Houston

stop lying to these new driver

It's been my best OTR job.

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Schneider full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work as an owner operator under the Choice program. Being able to book my own loads has made all the difference in my work experience. The control that I have over my schedule has eliminated a lot of distractions, making me a safer and smarter driver.

Cons

I really can't find anything to fault Schneider with. I don't have the same constraints that company drivers deal with. As long as my job is done safely and legally, I'm pretty much free to do as I please.

None.

IT Contractor

Former Employee - IT Contractor in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - IT Contractor in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with great people, great salary and I had very convenient hours!
    The job itself was just data entry, however was a great experience!

Cons

The job itself was not at all fun, because I just copied and pasted.
    I felt like I was being over payed for what I was doing.
    It was also only a temporary job

I had a great experience at Schneider, a long career there

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Schneider full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Culture, stability, growing business, many opportunities

Cons

I have no cons to share at this time

No advice at this time

Avoid their information technology shop like the plague

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider full-time

Pros

I honestly cannot think of much.

Cons

Information Technology at Schneider is dysfunctional. Upper Management sets unrealistic deadlines and pushes for me to be done, come hell or high water. There is no such thing as an estimate on how long a project may take. If you estimate 120-160 hours on something, you better be able to finish it in a months time because you will get chewed out if you don't. The atmosphere has soured in the time I was there, with many senior people getting burned out leaving. IT has gone through a massive brain drain recently.

Just resign.

Final and last time working for this place

Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Independent Contractor in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Schneider as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Safety is about the only thing this place offers

Cons

I have driven company solo, company team, dedicated, independent team, and independent solo on their "choice program" and can officially say I have worked for Schneider in every aspect related to driving except tanker. My final conclusion is eventually you will be starved out. As independent team on their "legacy program" we slowly watched our miles fall further and further at which time we chose to go solo independent. My partner and myself being located in California almost lost everything!! In the end we returned both trucks to Schneider Finance and walked away with less than $200 between the two of us, and ended up owing my family $1000's of dollars in loans just to pay bills due to being negative more than in the positive weekly. Solo freight rates on average were approx $1.15 a mile. I worked 3 months with minimal time off (4 days in 3 months) my total revenue take home for 12 weeks was $5900.00.

A very good company with a little room for improvement.

Current Employee - Professional Driver
    Current Employee - Professional Driver

I have been working at Schneider full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay and the benefits are good, considering what other companies out there offer and if you are a Veteran then you can get extra income with the Apprenticeship program (provided you have your GI Bill benefits). Some new equipment, good facilities at operating centers with cafeterias, showers,driver services,etc. An express bay for quick fixes without having to worry about down time. So far I have been treated with respect, the office staff has been able to solve any load-related issues that arise while on the road. If you break down they will take care of you and you will not be stranded. I have seen a big amount of senior drivers who has been here for decades and I like that, very seldom do I see a driver complaining, I'm sure there is a few, I just haven't met them yet. Big focus on safety and to me that is very important. Also Schneider is very diverse, with many divisions like intermodal, bulk, flatbed, dedicated, etc. so a Driver has many choices if something doesn't work, even trading the driver's seat for an office chair, very few companies can brag about that.

Cons

Micromanagement, too much focus on not going over 60mph, fuel,idling, they want 100% accuracy on nearly everything that you do and the qualcomm tracks that to the millionth of a second. Still a lot of old trucks running around and no truck wash or detail bay on any operating center which means when you get a truck you need to clean it up someone else's mess.

Schneider has an in-depth screening for the hiring process, if a driver made it through and was hired to do the job because he/she was qualified, there is no need to micromanage everything they do. A truck needs a good Driver to be operated safely, it cannot be operated from an office desk, loosen up that focus on minor things and focus more on replacing those old trucks that are breaking down all the time. Also more in-depth focus on "controlled growth" would increase overall company performance, reduce overhead expenses and eliminate unnecessary reductions in force . Other than that I am proud to be an employee of your company.