Schnitzer Steel
www.schnitzersteel.com Portland, OR 1000 to 5000 Employees

Schnitzer Steel Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014
Schnitzer Steel – US – “Schnitzer Employees”

Schnitzer Steel President, CEO, and Director Tamara L. Lundgren

Tamara L. Lundgren

Great people getting lost in the numbers

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    Oakland, CA

ProsDecent benefits, Good pay, Great people

ConsPervasive culture of the "Haves" and "Have Nots", Difficult to grow when executive management is only concerned about their own conflicting agendas.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff where it is required, not where the most trouble is.

Horrifying

Portland, OR

ProsMoney..................., however I recently hear through the grapevine they are no longer good for that....... massive slowdown at the Portland scrapyard

ConsToo many to list way too many to list

Advice to Senior ManagementEncouraging things like backstabbing, gossiping, and outright lies about people who are simply just trying to pay the bills, are not traits of honesty or integrity, just in case you were wondering about that...............i would highly recommend this company to my worst enemy!

Awful place! If I could rate it a zero, I would. People hate coming to work there. Terrible mgmt, from the top on down.

Tacoma, WA

ProsDecent medical insurance, I guess. You're gonna need medical if you work here. The stress will kill your body and your spirit.

ConsToo many to mention. Worst job I've ever had. Can hardly wait to escape out of here. It can't come a minute too soon. Worst supervisor I have ever had. Overall bad place that cares nothing for their lower level employees, the ones who actually do the work and keep the place going. Too much politic'ing and back-biting and scrambling to be one of the good ol' boys. The pay sucks, with no raises unless you are in management, and then you get all kinds of nice little benefits and bonuses, and the CEO is actually being given bonuses based on how many people's jobs she can eliminate in this awful economy. People are desperately trying to hold onto their jobs and will do/say anything about others in order to 'secure' their lousy jobs. Horrible and blatant double standard in this company between the have's (management) and the have-not's (anyone else).

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your underlings a favor and either quit or retire. Please. This place needs a complete cleansing, big time. Archaic mentality of management, and horrible interpersonal skills and motivational skills of those who are supposed to be the leaders, make for extremely low morale. You would get more loyalty and production out of people if you could just treat them, and talk to them, as human beings deserving of respect. And understand that for most of them Schnitzer Steel is just a job, a paycheck. A means to an end. Management has not acquired the skill of fostering a climate of harmony and loyalty due to their atrocious tactics of making everyone feel inferior and threatened. Allow them their family time and don't make them feel like their job is on the line if they happen to need to take time off to help or to be with family now and then. Stop looking the other way at salaried employees who routinely accumulate massive amounts of PTO simply because they are abusing the system and not reporting when they take time off. The double standard in this supposedly 'ethical' and 'safety conscious' company is a total sham. Again, morale is beyond bad due to the tactics of management.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Executive Team will do anything for you...so long as it is profitable for them.

Regional Director (Current Employee)

ProsHigh turnover leads to many promotional opportunities. The general lack of ethics makes this an attractive place for those who wanting to leverage such things.

ConsA lack of vision and strategy combined with a strong quarter to quarter mentality leads to unrealistic expectations for managers of all levels - including you...and your manager. After running up hill for a while most become indifferent to the noise or simply leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a real and meaningful longterm vision then stick to it.

Good ole boy network -- worse place ever!

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsDecent benefits and pay. Location and physical workspace was okay. That's about it

ConsManagement teams aren't human. They don't value their employees. They use and abuse you and treat you like a dog. Read all of the reviews carefully before considering a job with this company -- you'll notice a common theme. It's all true!

You should take a job in afganstan for better future than at Oakland ca

Oakland, CA

ProsGood hard workers below the upper managers.

ConsThe upper managers at the Oakland yard are nothing more than a group of thugs. They lie about almost everything and all this comes from the GM of the Oakland yard. He is protected by the region director on everything that goes wrong in this yard. If you stand up to GM your gone or put in a job that will get you to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy does this continue to go on and no one from HR steps in on what is code of ethic violations?

You MUST like this industry to work here!

Accounts Payable Processor (Former Employee)
    Cartersville, GA

ProsThere are basic benefits and compensation

ConsDo not prioritize fast-tracking or growing new employees

Waste of time - avoid this company like the plague!

ProsPeople at the operational level are hard-working and honest

ConsSenior management and leadership are a horrible bunch of liars

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no helping this bunch.

Challenging environment, great industry, but uncertainty as to your future with this company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary can be quite generous at the GM Level and higher. Not so much at lower levels but if your Boss is one of the connected few then you'll do well.

ConsOver 5 years ago the now CEO took off across SCHN Land touting we were to be the Company of Choice for all Employees. Since then it has been a steady decline and we have lost much of our experienced employee's and the rest live in constant fear they will be next. Not so at the Director and VP Levels, they flourish as does the BOD's who share in the bounty at the rank and file expense. Can it change, yes, will it change, questionable.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone as they have their own views but the Shareholders ought to bail before it crashes. Better still, vote in a new BOD and give the CEO and her cronies their tickets home.

Worst career move of my life! So glad to be out of there

(Former Employee)

ProsFairly good medical and dental benefits

ConsShort-sighted, narrow-minded management. Lack of opportunity and receptivity towards learning beyond your current duties. Extremely negative environment, full of backstabbing, gossip, grumbling, and supervisors who are unprofessional, unsupportive, and openly negative in their comments about employees and upper management. A suffocating attitude of "well, this is how it's always been", and "it could be worse". Treatment of employees is pretty bad, unless you are one of the good ol' boys. The style of management is to cut down employees when they make mistakes and stay mute when they do a great job. Supervisors seem to be of the belief that If you tell people they are doing a good job, they might actually see their worth and expect more money. Keep your people beaten down, and they will think that their rotten job is all that they can hope to attain. That is the management style there. Undefined job duties, therefore making evaluations murky and merit raises non-existent.

So thankful to be out of there! I really feel for those left behind. If you are considering working for this company (and not just the Tacoma yard, but company wide), run the other way! It is bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider applauding your employees' good work every once in a while. A pat on the back or an "atta boy" work wonders to productivity and morale. Consider what builds up morale, rather than breaking down the spirits of your employees. Insist on implementing measures to clean up the extremely unhealthy work areas, both office and yard. The bad stuff permeating this company lies not just in the filthy site, but also in the collective negativity of managment that trickles down from the top, all the way to the bottom. There's no leadership to speak of. Nothing much to respect about the bosses.The tension in the place is felt by employees and visitors alike.

Worked for Schnitzer Steel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schnitzer Steel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Schnitzer Steel CEO Tamara L. Lundgren. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Schnitzer Steel employees.