Schnitzer Steel

Updated February 17, 2015
1.9

Schnitzer Steel President, CEO, and Director Tamara L. Lundgren
Tamara L. Lundgren

Pros
  • Good Benefits, good employees and fun work (in 3 reviews)

• Flexable working hours at the corporate level (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Much of the Senior Management staff and outside buyers don't have college degrees (in 3 reviews)

• They also try to make you fake being happy when the upper management comes through (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

This company is far under-rated!

Current Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Schnitzer Steel is a long term play. They have a lot of headwinds over the past few years due to the challenges of the Steel Market, but they make the tough decisions and are regularly improving the way they do business. People with a focused, continuous improvement thought process will do very well at this company.

Cons

The challenges of the market have limited the bonus pool over the last few years. There has also been a great deal of change. People who can not handle change won't be happy here.

Keep up the good work. The continued integration of the divisions will result in positive results to the bottom line.

Take advice from current employees and look elsewhere for employment

Current Employee - Corporate Employee
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay, but in the end not worth a terrible work environment. Management continues to speak of investment in employees while they continue to do layoffs and routine organizational changes resulting in zero stability and zero confidence from employees.

Cons

Almost everything. Human resource management completely contrary to what the title stands for as is CEO's 'dedication' to those that work here. Her management style directly reflected by senior and junior management staff resulting in depressed, unhappy and unmotivated morale.

Change everything. Make the investment in your people. Most importantly, listen to your employees- we're unhappy here. Time to do something about it.

Stock and company falling

Current Employee - Metal Grader, Weighmaster, Welder/Fabricator
    Current Employee - Metal Grader, Weighmaster, Welder/Fabricator

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been told by hr that we have good life insurance.

Cons

As the Senior Human Resources Specialist said, “The challenges of the market have limited the bonus pool over the last few years.” They are right since I only got a lousy $.30 raise this year. What makes it worse is that our CEO made over $11 MILLION DOLLARS this year! My boss said we all received small raises b/c our company was doing badly. But our CEO got a $5.5 million bonus. I agree with other reviews about the good old boys club with the company. Also it’s suspicious that when the company began replying to posts that is the same time when there were 5 star reviews! Too bad Schnitzer Steel doesn’t spend that time helping employees rather than weird attempt to improve there rating!!

Someone who made $11 million dollars would not listen to me.

Please Ask Around About The Company

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We Get a Discount on Some Stuff

Cons

Take three minutes and review comments from current and former employees before applying. I have been here for seven years and atmosphere has progressively deteriorated. Schnitzer had a strong operational group when I arrived but as people said two presidents left multimillion dollar job without another job lined up. Think about how bad your boss and job would have to be to walk away from millions.

Multiple media outlets highlighted that our CEO lives in Portland, Oregon and that makes sense since headquarters are in Portland, Oregon. Employees know that is untrue and the ceo lives here on the east coast.

Question for the company - Does the CEO live in Portland?

To summarize, with any corporation management sets the tone at the top and at Schnitzer there is a lack of ethics and appreciation for doing the right thing which trickles down to every level of the company. High turnover and CEO approval rating on this website is representative of those facts.

Poor management and slaves to the shareholders

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great colleagues.

Cons

Office culture is toxic. Training is nonexistent. Executives are miserable.

Change needs to start at the top. It used to be a great company but short sighted management continues to only focus on their next bonus, not what makes a company thrive.

Jan 16, 2015Senior Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for your response. Whether a current or former employee, we would greatly appreciate a meeting to discuss your concerns.

If I could give them a zero, I would

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big company, fairly good benefits. Might look good on a resume, unless someone is familiar with the industry and with Schnitzer's tactics.

Cons

No raises for the minions who really do all the work. No advancement unless you are part of the IN crowd, the political parasites who know how to B.S. Horrible management. Terrible treatment of the employees who are apparently of no importance or significance to these bloated managers. Really a mess, in general. People hate showing up at work, from management on down, and that is obvious to everyone. So much grumbling and complaining, and mostly from the ones who do nothing and have all the benefits and bonuses. They are the ones who have it all, get it all, and don't have to worry about losing their jobs. The rest of us just shut up. Five years there, and I have yet to see a pay raise. Oh yes, I did get one for $.25 in 2013. Wow, aren't they generous? The CEO gets millions in bonuses all throughout the year, and is generally hated due to her lack of etchics, caring, and the job she is doing. Lower echelon employees are expected to hold the place together, while the managers cut out early, are accountable to no one, get to declare all kinds of bogus reimbursable expenses, and are treated as if they poop gold. I could go on forever, but basically it is a very depressing atmosphere, both physically and emotionally. Avoid it like the plaque.

Clean house. Start at the top, and work on down. Stop promoting people just because they are your buddies, or because you don't know what else to do with them. Fire them, just like the lower end jobs get fired all the time if they can't do the job.

Jan 16, 2015Senior Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for your honest review. While it is never easy to hear this, it is important that we do. If you are willing, a phone conversation with an HR representative in Portland would be greatly ... More

Meh

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel

Pros

Not sure if there are any

Cons

They kinda suck and getting worse

Stop sucking

Dec 15, 2014Senior Human Resources Specialist

While we don't like to see a negative review, we would appreciate details regarding your concerns.

Great environment, talented staff and a desire to change what needs to be changed - Corporate office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Talented individuals-The current and incoming staff are incredibly talented and have made a tangible impact on the culture of the organization.
    Corporate culture-It is never easy for a 100 year old company to change, but Schnitzer is taking the steps necessary to make the changes. From new staff, to better communication they are working towards creating an amazing organization.
    Technology - Technology is up to date and and the workspaces are awesome. If you have an issue with your equipment it takes hours, not days or weeks to resolve.

Cons

Change doesn't necessarily come quickly or easily. It takes time and effort to make things happen.
    Attitudes of some long-term employees are negative. They'd rather complain that play an active role in creating positive change.

Keep moving forward. Make the hard decisions knowing they are the right decisions. Make sure your communication is clear. Most of all, make sure you hire the best staff across the country. Make sure your field leadership treats their staff well.

Dec 15, 2014Senior Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for your review. Change is never easy, but we are working on and we appreciate all of the work of our employees.

Headed in the wrong direction

I worked at Schnitzer Steel

Pros

Many of the people I worked with were wonderful, hardworking people.

Cons

Top management does not understand the business at its most basic level. The CEO can't tell aluminum from stainless so she relies on the opinion of others. There is a good ol' boys club patting themselves on the back and protecting each other from being exposed as the frauds they are. Compensation and promotions are based on who you know and who you are related to. If you have ever worked for Naparano then this is the place for you!

Tamara, you need to clean house. Just because they are nice to your face does not mean they are your friends. Don't trust anyone. Do your own due diligence. Get out of your NYC office and talk the manager, find out what is really going on.

Scale Operator

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, good employees and fun work. I worked at both Sims Metal Management and Schnitzer. Sims in the better company

Cons

They don't have much growth,especially in management. Much of the Senior Management staff and outside buyers don't have college degrees.

Hire people with college educations and expand your management training program.

Dec 9, 2014Recruiting Specialist

Thank you so much for your feedback. To create a dynamic and responsive organization we need honest and constructive feedback from current and former employees.