Schnitzer Steel
www.schnitzersteel.com Portland, OR 1000 to 5000 Employees

Schnitzer Steel Reviews

Updated Mar 28, 2014
Schnitzer Steel – US – “Schnitzer Employees”

Schnitzer Steel President, CEO, and Director Tamara L. Lundgren

Tamara L. Lundgren

Great people getting lost in the numbers

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Oakland, CA

ProsDecent benefits, Good pay, Great people

ConsPervasive culture of the "Haves" and "Have Nots", Difficult to grow when executive management is only concerned about their own conflicting agendas.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff where it is required, not where the most trouble is.

Massive layoffs due to industry-wide downward spiral

Office (Current Employee)

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel for more than 5 years

ProsDecent benefits, affordable healthcare insurance

ConsToo many to list. Mainly what I would want to say if you are considering this company, just know that the market for metals has been seriously tanking for over a year now. Massive layoffs are in place, with no sign of easing. Mainly it's the minions, the lower echelons, who are being let go, but upper management personnel (the ones with the high salaries, expense accounts, and seemingly endless benefits) are also resigning by the droves. Also, this company has a very bad track record of hiring and training management and supervisors who know how to motivate by means other than humiliation, condescension, and public scolding. I have never seen worse leadership and management than what I experienced within the walls of this company. People are left feeling constantly chastised, as if they are bad children. Very bad morale, company wide, due to the poor approach to the workers who are actually the ones keep the company going. Very poor human resources and payroll department. It's impossible to find anyone to contact for assistance. No one is ever available.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management, either train up your supervisors to be motivators, or else do a major house cleaning, get rid of them, and hire up good people within the company who understand the motivating factors of human nature and what makes people want to come to work and do a good job. Expect accountability when it comes to management personnel in how they conduct themselves with their staff and with the public, how they use their company paid PTO (or abuse it, more like), and administer write-ups and consequences for the management staff when they screw up. Expect more from them in return for the obvious benefits of being in management.

Good ole boy network -- worse place ever!

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent benefits and pay. Location and physical workspace was okay. That's about it

ConsManagement teams aren't human. They don't value their employees. They use and abuse you and treat you like a dog. Read all of the reviews carefully before considering a job with this company -- you'll notice a common theme. It's all true!

You should take a job in afganstan for better future than at Oakland ca

Oakland, CA

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood hard workers below the upper managers.

ConsThe upper managers at the Oakland yard are nothing more than a group of thugs. They lie about almost everything and all this comes from the GM of the Oakland yard. He is protected by the region director on everything that goes wrong in this yard. If you stand up to GM your gone or put in a job that will get you to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy does this continue to go on and no one from HR steps in on what is code of ethic violations?

You MUST like this industry to work here!

Accounts Payable Processor (Former Employee)
Cartersville, GA

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are basic benefits and compensation

ConsDo not prioritize fast-tracking or growing new employees

Waste of time - avoid this company like the plague!

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel

ProsPeople at the operational level are hard-working and honest

ConsSenior management and leadership are a horrible bunch of liars

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no helping this bunch.

Challenging environment, great industry, but uncertainty as to your future with this company

I worked at Schnitzer Steel

ProsSalary can be quite generous at the GM Level and higher. Not so much at lower levels but if your Boss is one of the connected few then you'll do well.

ConsOver 5 years ago the now CEO took off across SCHN Land touting we were to be the Company of Choice for all Employees. Since then it has been a steady decline and we have lost much of our experienced employee's and the rest live in constant fear they will be next. Not so at the Director and VP Levels, they flourish as does the BOD's who share in the bounty at the rank and file expense. Can it change, yes, will it change, questionable.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone as they have their own views but the Shareholders ought to bail before it crashes. Better still, vote in a new BOD and give the CEO and her cronies their tickets home.

Worst career move of my life! So glad to be out of there

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFairly good medical and dental benefits

ConsShort-sighted, narrow-minded management. Lack of opportunity and receptivity towards learning beyond your current duties. Extremely negative environment, full of backstabbing, gossip, grumbling, and supervisors who are unprofessional, unsupportive, and openly negative in their comments about employees and upper management. A suffocating attitude of "well, this is how it's always been", and "it could be worse". Treatment of employees is pretty bad, unless you are one of the good ol' boys. The style of management is to cut down employees when they make mistakes and stay mute when they do a great job. Supervisors seem to be of the belief that If you tell people they are doing a good job, they might actually see their worth and expect more money. Keep your people beaten down, and they will think that their rotten job is all that they can hope to attain. That is the management style there. Undefined job duties, therefore making evaluations murky and merit raises non-existent.

So thankful to be out of there! I really feel for those left behind. If you are considering working for this company (and not just the Tacoma yard, but company wide), run the other way! It is bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider applauding your employees' good work every once in a while. A pat on the back or an "atta boy" work wonders to productivity and morale. Consider what builds up morale, rather than breaking down the spirits of your employees. Insist on implementing measures to clean up the extremely unhealthy work areas, both office and yard. The bad stuff permeating this company lies not just in the filthy site, but also in the collective negativity of managment that trickles down from the top, all the way to the bottom. There's no leadership to speak of. Nothing much to respect about the bosses.The tension in the place is felt by employees and visitors alike.

Unethical business....You can only go as high as your leader

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorked with a great team before it was torn apart

ConsThere is a lot of unethical business practices going on and the executive leadership act as if they don't know that it is happening. Either way if they know or not it is unacceptable as they are ultimately responsible for the way the organization is ran!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake changes immediately, take your head out the sand and do the right thing for the organization and especially your employee's!

Great place to learn about business

I worked at Schnitzer Steel

ProsInteraction with senior management and exposure to clients.

ConsLean corporation with the potential for long hours.

Worked for Schnitzer Steel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Schnitzer Steel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Schnitzer Steel CEO Tamara L. Lundgren. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Schnitzer Steel employees.