Schnitzer Steel

Updated December 9, 2014
2.0

Schnitzer Steel President, CEO, and Director Tamara L. Lundgren
Tamara L. Lundgren

Pros
  • Good Benefits, good employees and fun work (in 3 reviews)

• Flexable working hours at the corporate level (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Much of the Senior Management staff and outside buyers don't have college degrees (in 3 reviews)

• They also try to make you fake being happy when the upper management comes through (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Meh

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel

Pros

Not sure if there are any

Cons

They kinda suck and getting worse

Stop sucking

Dec 15, 2014Senior Human Resources Specialist

While we don't like to see a negative review, we would appreciate details regarding your concerns.

Great environment, talented staff and a desire to change what needs to be changed - Corporate office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Talented individuals-The current and incoming staff are incredibly talented and have made a tangible impact on the culture of the organization.
    Corporate culture-It is never easy for a 100 year old company to change, but Schnitzer is taking the steps necessary to make the changes. From new staff, to better communication they are working towards creating an amazing organization.
    Technology - Technology is up to date and and the workspaces are awesome. If you have an issue with your equipment it takes hours, not days or weeks to resolve.

Cons

Change doesn't necessarily come quickly or easily. It takes time and effort to make things happen.
    Attitudes of some long-term employees are negative. They'd rather complain that play an active role in creating positive change.

Keep moving forward. Make the hard decisions knowing they are the right decisions. Make sure your communication is clear. Most of all, make sure you hire the best staff across the country. Make sure your field leadership treats their staff well.

Dec 15, 2014Senior Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for your review. Change is never easy, but we are working on and we appreciate all of the work of our employees.

"Long-term employees would rather complain than play an active role in creating positive change"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Portland, OR

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is an astounding statement considering the company rid itself of most of the "long-term" (3-30 years) back in 2011-2012 who worked 50-80 hours weeks. Based on the recency of reviews nothing has (ironically) changed with all the newbies.

Cons

This company has a pervasive cultural issue that starts with the senior management. The executive staff isn't there to serve the people and make them better as in most progressive companies; it's the other way around. So until that (ironically) changes this company will be at the mercy of glass door and social media pundits in general as well as the increasing Schnitzer diaspora.

This review is meant for anyone who is researching the company; read the reviews and check out the layoffs on Oregonlive.

Dec 15, 2014Senior Human Resources Specialist

First, thank you so much for your heartfelt feedback. As a company that is reliant upon healthy overseas economies we, like many companies, had to make some very difficult decisions to ensure the ... More

Scale Operator

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Benefits, good employees and fun work. I worked at both Sims Metal Management and Schnitzer. Sims in the better company

Cons

They don't have much growth,especially in management. Much of the Senior Management staff and outside buyers don't have college degrees.

Hire people with college educations and expand your management training program.

Dec 9, 2014Recruiting Specialist

Thank you so much for your feedback. To create a dynamic and responsive organization we need honest and constructive feedback from current and former employees.

Great group of people!

Former Employee - Maintenance Guy in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Guy in Oakland, CA

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Quality people throughout all levels of the organization.

Cons

For every good person, there was always two or three who were sith.

Practice what you preach in your code of conduct. the rules apply to everyone according to the executive management team...

Worst Company In America

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None. A big company name on your resume.

Cons

Absolutely brutal culture, no bonus, no raise, no promotions. Please stay away from this company as they will try to screw you any ways they can, if you try to leave them. Company has 3 presidents of the Metal Recycling Unit (90% of the revenue) in Last 3 years. Last president quit without any reason according to Schnitzer Steel SEC filings. Shares are trading at a all time low.

Please think about your Shareholders.

Dec 16, 2014Senior Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we have had three people in that Role in a very short period of time. The first person had been in that role for 7 years, the second had been with Schnitzer for ... More

One of the worst companies to work for in Portland

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay and benefits.

Cons

Too many chiefs and not enough Indian to do the work.

Its a job

Current Employee - Corporate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Corporate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexable working hours at the corporate level.

Cons

Open communication is encouraged, until you realize it bites you in the butt.

Upper management is verry much a good-ole-boys club. Big bonuses and pay while the working man gets told do more with less. Lots of baby boomers work here. Prepare for brain drain.

This place is poison

I worked at Schnitzer Steel

Pros

I guess decent pay depending on who you are and who's your friend

Cons

Low moral, the company allows employees to beat each other down mentally they thrive on seeing you struggle, hostile work environment, company is corrupt, ones in charge enjoy belittling others to make themselves look good. The employees that are still their are either waiting to retire or are caught in the black widow spider web that surrounds the place, I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy

Wake up !

Truly mind numbing

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promotions are readily available to those interested due to the high turnover environment. During most of my career there were openings at every level somewhere in the country.

Cons

The culture is absolutely brutal. Goals are set arbitrarily with the exception of those in the inner circle. Then when goals are not met, blood is quickly shed. You might be a great performer in another organization, but when you're set to fail there can only be one conclusion. If you do not think it will happen to you...well then ask to see their turnover statistics. There's a reason that most managers and supervisors do not last 2 years. Even some of the ones who do succeed and are recognized as winners are terminated the following year. Do right by yourself and don't sign on with these jokers.

You cannot blame the individuals for failing when it is happening everywhere in your company.