Schnitzer Steel

Updated August 14, 2014
1.5

Schnitzer Steel President, CEO, and Director Tamara L. Lundgren
Tamara L. Lundgren

Worst career move of my life! So glad to be out of there

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fairly good medical and dental benefits

Cons

Short-sighted, narrow-minded management. Lack of opportunity and receptivity towards learning beyond your current duties. Extremely negative environment, full of backstabbing, gossip, grumbling, and supervisors who are unprofessional, unsupportive, and openly negative in their comments about employees and upper management. A suffocating attitude of "well, this is how it's always been", and "it could be worse". Treatment of employees is pretty bad, unless you are one of the good ol' boys. The style of management is to cut down employees when they make mistakes and stay mute when they do a great job. Supervisors seem to be of the belief that If you tell people they are doing a good job, they might actually see their worth and expect more money. Keep your people beaten down, and they will think that their rotten job is all that they can hope to attain. That is the management style there. Undefined job duties, therefore making evaluations murky and merit raises non-existent.

So thankful to be out of there! I really feel for those left behind. If you are considering working for this company (and not just the Tacoma yard, but company wide), run the other way! It is bad.

Consider applauding your employees' good work every once in a while. A pat on the back or an "atta boy" work wonders to productivity and morale. Consider what builds up morale, rather than breaking down the spirits of your employees. Insist on implementing measures to clean up the extremely unhealthy work areas, both office and yard. The bad stuff permeating this company lies not just in the filthy site, but also in the collective negativity of managment that trickles down from the top, all the way to the bottom. There's no leadership to speak of. Nothing much to respect about the bosses.The tension in the place is felt by employees and visitors alike.

Unethical business....You can only go as high as your leader

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked with a great team before it was torn apart

Cons

There is a lot of unethical business practices going on and the executive leadership act as if they don't know that it is happening. Either way if they know or not it is unacceptable as they are ultimately responsible for the way the organization is ran!

Make changes immediately, take your head out the sand and do the right thing for the organization and especially your employee's!

Great place to learn about business

I worked at Schnitzer Steel

Pros

Interaction with senior management and exposure to clients.

Cons

Lean corporation with the potential for long hours.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overwhelmingly tiresome to your moral and self esteem. They enjoy breaking hard working and gullible employees.

Former Employee - Metal Grader, Welder Fabricator, Weighmaster  in  Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Metal Grader, Welder Fabricator, Weighmaster in Eugene, OR

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I must enter 5 words? Give me a break. Medical Benefits,401k retirement program

Cons

Management is above you, and if your not buddy-buddy with them, you don't matter. Never ever use the open door policy, never complain to anyone about situations you would deem ethical violations or Code of Conduct violations ie; Safety, Sexual Harrasement,Hostilities. Never call the whistleblower hotline, as HR has a link to the local management and they will hunt you down and suspend, then terminate you after a lengthy unpaid investigation. Its a dog eat dog world, they encourage employees to stab each other in the back for the fight of favor with the supervisors. Do not believe anything that you are told. They have forked tongues and manipulate every situation to keep themselves out of trouble. Customers complain of corruption and no wonder why I see our "Old" customers going to the competition. They get better treatment, as well they should. Do not show this company loyalty as they will not do the same for you. I was suspended after 10 total years of service the day after the investigation on the ethicspoint website. Then after almost 3 weeks of unpaid leave they finally get back to me and fire me. I am in contact with a lawyer and hope to make public this information.

Get a clue, Your organization is corrupt. You are crippling your employees and the company by keeping these "losers" in management positions. Customers are dissatisfied, employees are dissatisfied, and it isn't looking any better

Contradictory, they talk the talk but DON'T walk the walk

Former Employee - Internal Auditor  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Internal Auditor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you get in with the "correct" political people, you can do no wrong as this company demonstrates extreme favoriteism.

Cons

Company is very political and shows strong favoritism.

Stop blowing your own horns, you are so much less than you think you are.

Fast becoming the place not to work....

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good company model - sustainability etc.

Cons

They love to hire people and then cut them. After all the reviews on this site it would seem it's your own fault for deciding to work there, putting up with the ridiculous hours, lack of support and disrespectful environment only to be shown the door. They just cut several more people in the last few weeks, all the while paying for expensive consultants and moving to new facilities when they just renovated one of the last ones.

Run if you work for them!

I worked at Schnitzer Steel

Pros

Pay not bad but for the abuce you take its not worth it.

Cons

Treat the men like dogs and give credit to the people who don't know their jobs at all. The Oakland GM needs to go because he has his son working for him. NOT a good idea. HR covers it up!!

CEO needs to dump the RD, GM and the his son!

Do I have to give them one star?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time for more than a year

Pros

They will spend a ton of money to relocate you from far away because nobody local who knows about them wants to work for them.

Cons

Once you get there you will deal with the kind of garbage almost every reviewer has reported. I worked there for more than a year and should have received combat pay for what I endured.

You are beyond help.

The worst work-related mistake of my life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time

Pros

There are no good things about this company. They hire you with a simple job description and then keep adding pressure to perform more and more.

Cons

I was hired at one level of workload that was then upped over 150% within a year without a pay raise for it. No support from management because they were the ones with the whip. They also try to make you fake being happy when the upper management comes through.

Get rid of the dragon managers.

Think Twice about working in this toxic work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time

Pros

Good name to have on a resume. Okay location. Friendly receptionist. Volunteer work is encouraged by leadership

Cons

Top heavy organization that looks down, way down on their employees under $100k. Salaries above that level are treated as humans. The rest of the population are used and squeezed of every last drop of life. Fear tactics cause an uneasy tension and a thick air of uncertainty. The results are passive aggressive behaviors among the underpaid. Suggestion: think twice before you interview with this unstable and emotionally toxic company. Expect to be promised things that you will not receive. Expect to be treated in ways you would never expect...

Get honest with yourselves! In the entire scheme of the universe, you are not that important and YOU are not worth your exorbitant salaries..TO THE BOARD OF DINOSAURS: Like Mr. Potter in the movie, "It's a wonderful life." As crooked as you are, your employees will find a way succeed no matter how much you steal from them.

Schnitzer Steel Photos

Schnitzer Employees

+ Add Photo

Worked for Schnitzer Steel? Contribute to the Community!