Schnitzer Steel

Updated October 30, 2014
1.5

Schnitzer Steel President, CEO, and Director Tamara L. Lundgren
Tamara L. Lundgren

Good ole boy network -- worse place ever!

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and pay. Location and physical workspace was okay. That's about it

Cons

Management teams aren't human. They don't value their employees. They use and abuse you and treat you like a dog. Read all of the reviews carefully before considering a job with this company -- you'll notice a common theme. It's all true!

Great people getting lost in the numbers

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, Good pay, Great people

Cons

Pervasive culture of the "Haves" and "Have Nots", Difficult to grow when executive management is only concerned about their own conflicting agendas.

Staff where it is required, not where the most trouble is.

You MUST like this industry to work here!

Former Employee - Accounts Payable Processor in Cartersville, GA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable Processor in Cartersville, GA

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are basic benefits and compensation

Cons

Do not prioritize fast-tracking or growing new employees

You should take a job in afganstan for better future than at Oakland ca

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good hard workers below the upper managers.

Cons

The upper managers at the Oakland yard are nothing more than a group of thugs. They lie about almost everything and all this comes from the GM of the Oakland yard. He is protected by the region director on everything that goes wrong in this yard. If you stand up to GM your gone or put in a job that will get you to quit.

Why does this continue to go on and no one from HR steps in on what is code of ethic violations?

Waste of time - avoid this company like the plague!

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel

Pros

People at the operational level are hard-working and honest

Cons

Senior management and leadership are a horrible bunch of liars

There is no helping this bunch.

Challenging environment, great industry, but uncertainty as to your future with this company

I worked at Schnitzer Steel

Pros

Salary can be quite generous at the GM Level and higher. Not so much at lower levels but if your Boss is one of the connected few then you'll do well.

Cons

Over 5 years ago the now CEO took off across SCHN Land touting we were to be the Company of Choice for all Employees. Since then it has been a steady decline and we have lost much of our experienced employee's and the rest live in constant fear they will be next. Not so at the Director and VP Levels, they flourish as does the BOD's who share in the bounty at the rank and file expense. Can it change, yes, will it change, questionable.

None as they have their own views but the Shareholders ought to bail before it crashes. Better still, vote in a new BOD and give the CEO and her cronies their tickets home.

Worst career move of my life! So glad to be out of there

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly good medical and dental benefits

Cons

Short-sighted, narrow-minded management. Lack of opportunity and receptivity towards learning beyond your current duties. Extremely negative environment, full of backstabbing, gossip, grumbling, and supervisors who are unprofessional, unsupportive, and openly negative in their comments about employees and upper management. A suffocating attitude of "well, this is how it's always been", and "it could be worse". Treatment of employees is pretty bad, unless you are one of the good ol' boys. The style of management is to cut down employees when they make mistakes and stay mute when they do a great job. Supervisors seem to be of the belief that If you tell people they are doing a good job, they might actually see their worth and expect more money. Keep your people beaten down, and they will think that their rotten job is all that they can hope to attain. That is the management style there. Undefined job duties, therefore making evaluations murky and merit raises non-existent.

So thankful to be out of there! I really feel for those left behind. If you are considering working for this company (and not just the Tacoma yard, but company wide), run the other way! It is bad.

Consider applauding your employees' good work every once in a while. A pat on the back or an "atta boy" work wonders to productivity and morale. Consider what builds up morale, rather than breaking down the spirits of your employees. Insist on implementing measures to clean up the extremely unhealthy work areas, both office and yard. The bad stuff permeating this company lies not just in the filthy site, but also in the collective negativity of managment that trickles down from the top, all the way to the bottom. There's no leadership to speak of. Nothing much to respect about the bosses.The tension in the place is felt by employees and visitors alike.

Unethical business....You can only go as high as your leader

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with a great team before it was torn apart

Cons

There is a lot of unethical business practices going on and the executive leadership act as if they don't know that it is happening. Either way if they know or not it is unacceptable as they are ultimately responsible for the way the organization is ran!

Make changes immediately, take your head out the sand and do the right thing for the organization and especially your employee's!

Great place to learn about business

I worked at Schnitzer Steel

Pros

Interaction with senior management and exposure to clients.

Cons

Lean corporation with the potential for long hours.

Overwhelmingly tiresome to your moral and self esteem. They enjoy breaking hard working and gullible employees.

Former Employee - Metal Grader, Welder Fabricator, Weighmaster in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Metal Grader, Welder Fabricator, Weighmaster in Eugene, OR

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I must enter 5 words? Give me a break. Medical Benefits,401k retirement program

Cons

Management is above you, and if your not buddy-buddy with them, you don't matter. Never ever use the open door policy, never complain to anyone about situations you would deem ethical violations or Code of Conduct violations ie; Safety, Sexual Harrasement,Hostilities. Never call the whistleblower hotline, as HR has a link to the local management and they will hunt you down and suspend, then terminate you after a lengthy unpaid investigation. Its a dog eat dog world, they encourage employees to stab each other in the back for the fight of favor with the supervisors. Do not believe anything that you are told. They have forked tongues and manipulate every situation to keep themselves out of trouble. Customers complain of corruption and no wonder why I see our "Old" customers going to the competition. They get better treatment, as well they should. Do not show this company loyalty as they will not do the same for you. I was suspended after 10 total years of service the day after the investigation on the ethicspoint website. Then after almost 3 weeks of unpaid leave they finally get back to me and fire me. I am in contact with a lawyer and hope to make public this information.

Get a clue, Your organization is corrupt. You are crippling your employees and the company by keeping these "losers" in management positions. Customers are dissatisfied, employees are dissatisfied, and it isn't looking any better

Schnitzer Steel Photos