Schnitzer Steel Reviews

Reset

Please Ask Around About The Company

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We Get a Discount on Some Stuff

Cons

Take three minutes and review comments from current and former employees before applying. I have been here for seven years and atmosphere has progressively deteriorated. Schnitzer had a strong operational group when I arrived but as people said two presidents left multimillion dollar job without another job lined up. Think about how bad your boss and job would have to be to walk away from millions.

Multiple media outlets highlighted that our CEO lives in Portland, Oregon and that makes sense since headquarters are in Portland, Oregon. Employees know that is untrue and the ceo lives here on the east coast.

Question for the company - Does the CEO live in Portland?

To summarize, with any corporation management sets the tone at the top and at Schnitzer there is a lack of ethics and appreciation for doing the right thing which trickles down to every level of the company. High turnover and CEO approval rating on this website is representative of those facts.

Poor management and slaves to the shareholders

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great colleagues.

Cons

Office culture is toxic. Training is nonexistent. Executives are miserable.

Advice to Management

Change needs to start at the top. It used to be a great company but short sighted management continues to only focus on their next bonus, not what makes a company thrive.

Jan 16, 2015Senior Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for your response. Whether a current or former employee, we would greatly appreciate a meeting to discuss your concerns.

If I could give them a zero, I would

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big company, fairly good benefits. Might look good on a resume, unless someone is familiar with the industry and with Schnitzer's tactics.

Cons

No raises for the minions who really do all the work. No advancement unless you are part of the IN crowd, the political parasites who know how to B.S. Horrible management. Terrible treatment of the employees who are apparently of no importance or significance to these bloated managers. Really a mess, in general. People hate showing up at work, from management on down, and that is obvious to everyone. So much grumbling and complaining, and mostly from the ones who do nothing and have all the benefits and bonuses. They are the ones who have it all, get it all, and don't have to worry about losing their jobs. The rest of us just shut up. Five years there, and I have yet to see a pay raise. Oh yes, I did get one for $.25 in 2013. Wow, aren't they generous? The CEO gets millions in bonuses all throughout the year, and is generally hated due to her lack of etchics, caring, and the job she is doing. Lower echelon employees are expected to hold the place together, while the managers cut out early, are accountable to no one, get to declare all kinds of bogus reimbursable expenses, and are treated as if they poop gold. I could go on forever, but basically it is a very depressing atmosphere, both physically and emotionally. Avoid it like the plaque.

Advice to Management

Clean house. Start at the top, and work on down. Stop promoting people just because they are your buddies, or because you don't know what else to do with them. Fire them, just like the lower end jobs get fired all the time if they can't do the job.

Jan 16, 2015Senior Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for your honest review. While it is never easy to hear this, it is important that we do. If you are willing, a phone conversation with an HR representative in Portland would be greatly ... More

5. Meh

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel

Pros

Not sure if there are any

Cons

They kinda suck and getting worse

Advice to Management

Stop sucking

Dec 15, 2014Senior Human Resources Specialist

While we don't like to see a negative review, we would appreciate details regarding your concerns.

6. Great environment, talented staff and a desire to change what needs to be changed - Corporate office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented individuals-The current and incoming staff are incredibly talented and have made a tangible impact on the culture of the organization.
    Corporate culture-It is never easy for a 100 year old company to change, but Schnitzer is taking the steps necessary to make the changes. From new staff, to better communication they are working towards creating an amazing organization.
    Technology - Technology is up to date and and the workspaces are awesome. If you have an issue with your equipment it takes hours, not days or weeks to resolve.

Cons

Change doesn't necessarily come quickly or easily. It takes time and effort to make things happen.
    Attitudes of some long-term employees are negative. They'd rather complain that play an active role in creating positive change.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Make the hard decisions knowing they are the right decisions. Make sure your communication is clear. Most of all, make sure you hire the best staff across the country. Make sure your field leadership treats their staff well.

Dec 15, 2014Senior Human Resources Specialist

Thank you for your review. Change is never easy, but we are working on and we appreciate all of the work of our employees.

Headed in the wrong direction

I worked at Schnitzer Steel

Pros

Many of the people I worked with were wonderful, hardworking people.

Cons

Top management does not understand the business at its most basic level. The CEO can't tell aluminum from stainless so she relies on the opinion of others. There is a good ol' boys club patting themselves on the back and protecting each other from being exposed as the frauds they are. Compensation and promotions are based on who you know and who you are related to. If you have ever worked for Naparano then this is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Tamara, you need to clean house. Just because they are nice to your face does not mean they are your friends. Don't trust anyone. Do your own due diligence. Get out of your NYC office and talk the manager, find out what is really going on.

Scale Operator

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, good employees and fun work. I worked at both Sims Metal Management and Schnitzer. Sims in the better company

Cons

They don't have much growth,especially in management. Much of the Senior Management staff and outside buyers don't have college degrees.

Advice to Management

Hire people with college educations and expand your management training program.

Dec 9, 2014Recruiting Specialist

Thank you so much for your feedback. To create a dynamic and responsive organization we need honest and constructive feedback from current and former employees.

"Long-term employees would rather complain than play an active role in creating positive change"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Portland, OR

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is an astounding statement considering the company rid itself of most of the "long-term" (3-30 years) back in 2011-2012 who worked 50-80 hours weeks. Based on the recency of reviews nothing has (ironically) changed with all the newbies.

Cons

This company has a pervasive cultural issue that starts with the senior management. The executive staff isn't there to serve the people and make them better as in most progressive companies; it's the other way around. So until that (ironically) changes this company will be at the mercy of glass door and social media pundits in general as well as the increasing Schnitzer diaspora.

Advice to Management

This review is meant for anyone who is researching the company; read the reviews and check out the layoffs on Oregonlive.

Dec 15, 2014Senior Human Resources Specialist

First, thank you so much for your heartfelt feedback. As a company that is reliant upon healthy overseas economies we, like many companies, had to make some very difficult decisions to ensure the ... More

Its a job

Current Employee - Corporate in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Corporate in Portland, OR

I have been working at Schnitzer Steel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexable working hours at the corporate level.

Cons

Open communication is encouraged, until you realize it bites you in the butt.

Advice to Management

Upper management is verry much a good-ole-boys club. Big bonuses and pay while the working man gets told do more with less. Lots of baby boomers work here. Prepare for brain drain.

Great group of people!

Former Employee - Maintenance Guy in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Guy in Oakland, CA

I worked at Schnitzer Steel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Quality people throughout all levels of the organization.

Cons

For every good person, there was always two or three who were sith.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach in your code of conduct. the rules apply to everyone according to the executive management team...

RSS Feed </> Embed