Schnuck Markets

Updated January 30, 2015
Updated January 30, 2015
2.7

Todd Schnuck

Pros
  • Flexible Hours If you need time off for an event all they ask for is sufficient advance notice to cover the schedule (in 6 reviews)

• give you time off for class(however there's a good chance you'll be called on your requested day off anyway) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very few full time positions available in some stores (in 8 reviews)

• You start off at close to minimum wage and receive raises after you've worked somewhere over 1000 hrs (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

part-time

I have been working at Schnuck Markets

Pros

I starting working for this company in 2008 part-time to supplement my income. I no longer needs to supplement my income but I continue to work for the company. I enjoy most of my peers and management, so far I have not had to work with a management staff that will not roll up their shelves. This is not a career base company(unless you work @ Corp Office?) but if you need extra money, the weekly pay and a raise once a year raise(1040 hrs) is ok.

Cons

Co-workers who have been with the company too long that needs to retire because they are mean, trouble making and makes coming to work for other co-workers hard. Some of the older peers are set in their ways and very rude. It's not company or co-workers fault that you have been here for years and only make min wages(move on).

Stop letting bitter employee, who is mad about this or that disrupt the stores because you are afraid to say anything to them because of the UNION.

Schnucks Pharmacy

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Schnuck Markets

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Paid vacations and sick days.

Cons

Long hours, some days over 13 1/2 hours without a break. Standing the whole day.
    Store managers make a big difference depending on where you work

We are HUMAN and need a break on long days.
    We need sufficient amount of good tech help and new employees need some training at main office before coming to the pharmacy.

No word about closing until the week of

I worked at Schnuck Markets

Pros

i have no pros for schnucks

Cons

We got no word of our store shutting down until the week it closed and from the news at that.

Meh

Former Employee - Corporate Drone
    Former Employee - Corporate Drone

I worked at Schnuck Markets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

* Flexible schedules
    * Great teammates at store level
    * Solid benefits
    * Most management is receptive to new ideas (although don't expect recognition)
    * Perfect job for someone looking to supplement their income

Cons

* Low pay and raises are practically unheard of
    * Very narcissistic co workers (not all but enough to make you sick. Most are management or corporate level)
    * Hourly workers will see erratic, inconsistent hours
    * No merit raises

You need to get back to basics. Focus on the customer and making sure the store is staffed to keep products stocked. There are way too many times items are empty on shelves and customers have to wait in long lines at the checkouts. With all of the changes always going on, it is hard to take care of the number one priority: Customers!

A Growing Family-Owned Company

I have been working at Schnuck Markets full-time

Pros

Schnucks has some of the perks of being a family-owned company. They treat you like family and still view their employees as people with needs. Since it is not publicly traded, focus is less on shareholder value and more on customer experience. Being paid every week is a definite bonus.

Cons

Schnucks is experiencing a culture change through its strategy to battle bigger box stores such as Wal-Mart. Instead of being innovative in the approach to grow in their market, they are adopting "best practices" from competition that belittles employees and takes away from customer experiences. They are turning toward operational efficiencies that do not take into account qualitative measures.

Do not make Schnucks like Wal-Mart! If you are differentiated and focus on quality products and service, you will dominate that large niche of the market. Continue to treat employees as people and not a dollar sign!

Very friendly but not permeant

Current Employee - Meat Clerk
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk

I have been working at Schnuck Markets part-time

Pros

Easy work and flexible schedule

Cons

Bottom pay and part time job only

Hire people with business management degrees instead of promoting within so much.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Alton, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier in Alton, IL

I have been working at Schnuck Markets part-time (more than a year)

Pros

friendly customer service, attentive staff

Cons

long lines, too many grocery changes, do not know where anything is located

Great environment!

Current Employee - Center Store Clerk in Farmington, MO
    Current Employee - Center Store Clerk in Farmington, MO

I have been working at Schnuck Markets part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Plenty of direction.
    - Managers know what they're doing.
    - You're never left in the dark about your job.
    - Great pay for starting out.
    - Technology that actually works.

Cons

- You either get two 15 min breaks or 30 min lunch, but not both.
    - Have to buy non slick shoes.
    - Tucking your shirt in is bad if you're a fat guy like me.
    - Schedule up one week in advance only, and in some cases, it comes down to the last day before a new one is posted.

- The schedule needs to be posted sooner and more in advance.
    - Big people shouldn't have to tuck their shirts in. It looks really bad.

10 year veteran about to have minimum wage catch up with them.

Current Employee - Center Store Clerk
    Current Employee - Center Store Clerk

I have been working at Schnuck Markets part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice lower-level co-workers, sometimes good about school schedules.

Cons

Minimum wage goes up and your pay doesn't. Then insurance costs increase too.

To start off, I've been here ten years and can not even get moved to full-time. If you're getting close to making it they'll throw you in a week of short hours so that you don't. Seriously awful management. They yell at the lowest level employees for things they're not responsible for, delegate their own high-paying jobs to low-level employees and expect them to do it all for low pay. I've been there ten years and minimum wage is about to catch up with me. After you hit your (low) pay cap for hourly raises it would probably be easier to buy narcotics from a police officer than to get a raise that's not union mandated. Managers are also moody and sometimes completely ignore seniority unless you have the balls to call the union on them. Consistently short-staffed and are always cutting hours but expect more and more to get done. Time-off is usually a giant pain to coordinate and is done through a computer program that often gets ignored at my store.

It wasn't too bad a place until they brought in some ex-Wal-mart corporate people in the past year and started making changes that just don't work in a grocery business. There's probably a reason why those ex-Wal-mart people aren't with Wal-mart anymore.

I could go on forever but just look at some other people's reviews.

Great opportunity to build on my retail experience. Greed has ruined this place.

Former Employee - Checker, Checker Trainer, Service Center Cashier, Orientation Leader in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Schnuck Markets part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked with some pretty great people despite the low morale. I was given opportunities because I took the initiative and was able to use the experience to land a better position with a different company.

Cons

Merit is rarely recognized as corporate likes to blame the unions for not advancing those who are deserving. Most likely the unions and corporate are greasing each other by keeping fewer full-time employees (more members =more dues and more part-time = fewer benefits). Store managers are restrained by corporate greed and new employees on the store level will never rise to a living wage.

Stop blaming the union. Run your business with an eye on quality of life for your employees and the rest will follow.

Advance people based on merit and not longevity. Too many of my co-workers were proof that it's difficult to fire a union employee because management was too lazy to do the legwork. This resulted in several of us making lower wages were taking up the slack with no incentive to do so. Many became frustrated and stopped caring.

Also, as a result of the low wages and basic requirement of being a warm body for employment, too many store employees are on government assistance - including those who want to work full-time and deserve better compensation. Right now you are barely better than Wal-Mart.

Schnuck Markets Photos