Schnuck Markets

Updated October 25, 2014
Updated October 25, 2014
2.5

Todd Schnuck

Pros
  • Flexible Hours If you need time off for an event all they ask for is sufficient advance notice to cover the schedule (in 6 reviews)

• give you time off for class(however there's a good chance you'll be called on your requested day off anyway) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very few full time positions available in some stores (in 8 reviews)

• You start off at close to minimum wage and receive raises after you've worked somewhere over 1000 hrs (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Bakery Clerk in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Schnuck Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Goof insurance

Cons

Unioned position slow growth in promotion

One of the worst jobs I've had

Current Employee - Center Store in Columbia, IL
    Current Employee - Center Store in Columbia, IL

I have been working at Schnuck Markets part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work around you school schedule
    Flexible hours
    Union
    Easy job

Cons

Disrespected
    Expected to do way too much for a minimum wage paying job. If you want me to manage pay me what a manager makes.
    Asking off for personal time is discouraged when your part time.

Don't treat your employees like peons. Try to relate to them. Allow us to talk to our fellow "Teammates" and work together rather than encouraging us to work separate.

Great opportunity to build on my retail experience. Greed has ruined this place.

Former Employee - Checker, Checker Trainer, Service Center Cashier, Orientation Leader in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Schnuck Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with some pretty great people despite the low morale. I was given opportunities because I took the initiative and was able to use the experience to land a better position with a different company.

Cons

Merit is rarely recognized as corporate likes to blame the unions for not advancing those who are deserving. Most likely the unions and corporate are greasing each other by keeping fewer full-time employees (more members =more dues and more part-time = fewer benefits). Store managers are restrained by corporate greed and new employees on the store level will never rise to a living wage.

Stop blaming the union. Run your business with an eye on quality of life for your employees and the rest will follow.

Advance people based on merit and not longevity. Too many of my co-workers were proof that it's difficult to fire a union employee because management was too lazy to do the legwork. This resulted in several of us making lower wages were taking up the slack with no incentive to do so. Many became frustrated and stopped caring.

Also, as a result of the low wages and basic requirement of being a warm body for employment, too many store employees are on government assistance - including those who want to work full-time and deserve better compensation. Right now you are barely better than Wal-Mart.

Schnucks has an overall friendly vibe towards it, has some bugs to work out in management, but still a fair company for the grocery store business.

Current Employee - Checker in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Checker in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Schnuck Markets part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*Very flexible hours if working part-time.
    *Good upkeep with most stores.
     *Very helpful employees for the new customer/employees, or even the regulars.
    * Very caring and understanding store policies for the consumer.

Cons

*Management has a lack of vision.
    *Benefits are starting to become well below-average.
    *Alot of manager store-swapping. We havent had the same grocery or produce managers for longer than a year.
    *Poor morale raising events/ company outings.
    *New bags and new bagging policies are ridiculous.

Focus more on benefits and morale raising opportunities to your smaller stores. Also, to try and recognize outstanding employees from a corporate level. I know several who have gotten "teammate of the month", etc, multiple times with no raise, bonus, or gift card. Also to work on getting actual better quality bags, or to do away with these terrible so many items-per-bag policy. Customers prefer their orders done a certain way, and Schnucks is striving away from that as a whole.

I made more money making fries

Current Employee - Grocery Checker
    Current Employee - Grocery Checker

I have been working at Schnuck Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are fun to work with (not fond of management)
    Flexible Schedule-I go to college part time and have never had a conflict of classes and work
    Not much else...

Cons

The pay stinks of corporate greed. Gross pay is 7.50 an hour. I lose $12 in union dues every single paycheck. Membership is required. I would LOVE to opt out if I could. After dues and taxes, I take home $6 an hour if I'm lucky. I made more money making fries. If you do the math, 20% of my income is gone before it gets to me.

Mid Level management needs to get a clue. All they do is hang out and chat on company time, with the exception of Produce, Deli and Pharmacy. Meanwhile, I'm busting my tail to take care of the 5 people standing in my line. Do I get recognized for this or get help? Baggers and coworkers help-when they're not swamped themselves. Management? Please, the only thing missing from their chat it up party is the Liquor manager so they can all have cocktails. Gets me steaming every single shift. I'm trying to do my job well, but you're driving me out. After a year of this, I'm out of patience.

In house training and advancement are non existent. Our store was remodeled and no one bothered to take the employees around for a tour. Aren't you proud of those freezers? I still cannot tell you where anything is. The directory has too little detail to be of any use. When I was first trained, I got my intro from an employee that had been there for 20 years. Now new guys are tossed into the fire with a heavy dose of "I hate this place". No one in my department is full time-except management. Cross training is frowned upon. I wanted to get a shift stocking so I can get a free workout and burn some energy. I do weight training. I have a lot of energy. I'm smart enough not to put expired food on the shelf. Easy enough right? Wrong. I'm locked into my position until I quit. You lose a lot of people this way.

The bags are a lost cause. They rip in half, leave bits and pieces everywhere, stick together like glue, and hold a lot less than the previous batch. If I was making those decisions, I would give the card bags back and get rid of the new plastic bags. Have people bring in their own bags. Save money and the planet that way. Then give that money back to us. A man can only enjoy so much lobster.

Two words: Undercover Boss
    Pay us enough to compensate for the union dues. Better yet, opt out of the union.
    Reward employees based on merit.
    Fire the incompetent.
    Encourage cross training. There is a lot of talent in the store.
    Get rid of those stupid bags!
    Recognize that if you continue to pay employees second rate, they WILL jump ship at the first opportunity. A lot of people go to school...and never come back.

Good Job, they do care about you

Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Festus, MO
    Current Employee - Meat Clerk in Festus, MO

I have been working at Schnuck Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have good medical benefits, and it is a really good environment compared to other retail jobs I have worked. If you are looking for long term employment the pay and retirement is good as well.

Cons

It is low starting pay, and they hire mostly part time. Very few full time positions available in some stores. Schedules are only posted 1 week in advance.

Stepping Stone

I worked at Schnuck Markets

Pros

Depends on the location, cool co-workers, paid every week, flexible schedule, set pay increases, advancements now due to aging management

Cons

Hours get cuts all the time, very hard to become full time get a another job but dont tell them you got one because they will conflict the other job, dont be fulled by older co-workers they are not managers they have no power

be more open

Worst place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Schnuck Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The money, because it's a job that bumps up your salary with every year you work. But I would never EVER recomend anyone to work here.

Cons

In my store, they are the worst group of employees I have ever seen. I have been cursed at in front of the whole store by my SUPERVISOR! Everyone is super rude, and my store manager is a sexist. He refers to me as, "hey you" but will call the men by their first names. I have been written up for things that are NOT true, and each day they question my intelligence. Is it really okay to bully and employee daily? I have never seen such a thing in my life... Cannot wait to put my two weeks in!

Be respectful, and listen when an employee has a concern.

Never, never again.

I worked at Schnuck Markets part-time

Pros

Better than starvation or being pulled apart by wild dogs. Just barely, however. Reasonable travel distance to and from home. Co-workers (NOT store management) were cool.

Cons

Terrible hours, nearly nonexistent training on things we are subsequently quizzed on, an overall culture of discouragement and neglect leading to basement-level morale. Add in a complete disregard of employee suggestions and you have a recipe for utter crapulence. As an added bonus, I had the pleasure of working for a store manager whose ego would make Napoleon blush.

Treat workers like human beings, not chattel.

Keep looking...

Current Employee - Checker in Roscoe, IL
    Current Employee - Checker in Roscoe, IL

I have been working at Schnuck Markets part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work with really great people!

Cons

If you're not a 20 year old girl, you're not going anywhere with this company!!
    Management is useless! No order, no discipline, no regard for rules of any kind. Oh, and if you ARE a 20 year old girl and you get promoted, don't expect a raise. There are people at my store who have been there fr more than 5 years and still make 8.25 an hour! You have to be there for a year to get insurance and 3 years to get a vacation. They'll call you in on your days off, (as long you don't go over 32 hours. No one gets full time but management.), because people just don't call or show up. There are no consequences for these transgressions, so why not?
    If you're a student or retiree looking for a part time gig, just for pocket money, it's an o.k. company to work for. If you are looking for a career, keep looking!

Get out of the office and see what really goes on in the store!

Schnuck Markets Photos