ScholarBuys

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Bob Smith and Matt Ryan

Strong Team, Great Work Environment, and Plenty of Opportunity for Growth

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Carpentersville, IL

ProsStrong Sales Experience, whether you're a rookie or a seasoned veteran. Management builds a plan for each team member that is catered to our strengths. With regular meetings and reviews, they maintain a positive "my door is always open" vibe for their employees without micro-managing.

Positive Team Environment - The veteran employees here always make themselves available to assist and coach the new staff. You really feel like everyone is working toward the same goal. The office environment is casual, but not too laid back-everyone is still expected to perform, keeping a good competitive energy.

In my opinion, if you have a good work ethic, a positive attitude, and an out-going personality, it's almost impossible not to succeed in Sales and fit in with the team.

ConsThe training can be stressful if you aren't a self-starter. There isn't a manual or roadmap to guide you through every scenario. Management challenges you to study on your own time and to seek out your own answers (like pretty much any company). This approach can be intimidating if you don't possess a good work ethic. It's good to know that the hard work pays off though-the more time you put in, the greater the opportunities.

If I could give this company 0 stars, I would. Ignore the positive reviews on here, the owners write them.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get a lot of PTO time, but it is very much at the discretion of the two frat boy owners.

ConsFor sales, you get 1% commission, which is the lowest out of any company I have ever worked at. There is constant tension that I have never experienced at any place of employment. There are two frat boy owners who are clueless about how to run a company, they watch every move you make on camera and constantly berate you. I felt like nothing I ever said was taken into consideration. By far the most unprofessional place I have ever worked at. There is a reason why they have such a high turnover rate and go through 15 sales people a year. The company is a joke.The pay and the stress isn't worth the amount of work that you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have unrealistic expectations for your employees. Treat people fairly. Stop taking advantage of people.

ScholarBuys Cofounder responded to this review

Jun 5, 2014

We are certainly not perfect and we are sorry that we were not a good fit for you. Unfortunately, with any organization there is attrition in our sales department. Our expectations for our customers ... More

Smoke and Mirrors

ProsSmall office with a great view of a river. Less then 6 employee or so depending on the normal sales cycle of employees. Chances to meet and network with vendors and partners. If you really needed a job this would serve as a good stepping stone to the next level.

ConsNo management - fly by the seat of your pants type approach. The two owners are awful to deal with they watch you on camera when they step out. They ask you to compromise your morals to a better bottom line in a sale. The biggest problem is its just not a real company - (they copy everything from HR to PO paper work from someone else). If you want a company run by two frat boys and stagnate advancement in both growing the business and your career this is your place.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop writing fake positive reviews about yourself on this and other websites - let real people review you.

ScholarBuys Cofounder responded to this review

Jun 4, 2014

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Prove yourself and you will be rewarded.

Sales Executive (Current Employee) Carpentersville, IL

ProsScholarbuys normally searches for young, recent college grads but took the chance bringing me on as more of a "seasoned" sales executive. Regardless of the age gap I feel that we all fit together like a well oiled machine. The open office environment helps to keep the communication flowing throughout the day and we learn more by listening to each others conversations with our customers. What works, what doesn't and what can we do to grow as a team.
    Being a reseller of many different offerings can be a bit challenging at times. You have to work extra hard to be an expert of many, but everyone works together to help each other out to learn something new every day.
    The starting salary may not be huge, but if you prove yourself you will be rewarded and recognized. This is not your typical 8 - 5 type of job, if you want to succeed you will need to put in the extra time. Personally, this has been one of the best job experiences ever. I seriously tell people all the time that yes, it's a lot of work but I love every minute of it and it's totally worth working with people I enjoy being around every day. This is my extended family and hope to keep growing with them.

ConsThis position may not be for everyone, either you have the drive or you don't. As we try and keep as much positive energy flowing, sometimes there are some individuals that block that. This can influence others and hamper their efforts. I understand that for many this is their first official job out of college, but need to learn that this isn't a job that you can take lightly. This is a career where deadlines are important and communication is key. Nothing is "handed" to you and you will need to work hard to build or maintain your territory. Some territories are built up more than others therefore they are manged differently. In my opinion there is a bit more pressure to manage these territories because not only do you need to maintain that long time relationship but grow as well. It's a challenge every day, but you get out what you put in.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your gut, if someone is not fitting well with the environment then maybe it's time to find a better candidate. An occasional after hours activity would be rewarding or let people have a surprise afternoon off. There are certain times of the year we are not as busy and can be very refreshing to get some extra free time. You have built a great business and I am proud to be a team member.

They are Fair, but this is Sales

Sales Executive (Former Employee) Carpentersville, IL

ProsYou will get a good salary, all things considered. This is not a commission-only job, and you can make ends meet without relying on commission. Important for your first year as a salesperson.

Working at ScholarBuys, which was a smaller company at least while I was there, gave me great insight into B2B sales and the inner workings of a sales company (something with which I was totally unfamiliar at the time I entered my position as a salesperson). This job WILL get you experience; you will be given responsibilities and fully expected to fulfill them.

The neighborhood the job is in is great. Lots of opportunities to get outside and do some exercise on your lunch break, or do some quick shopping.

ConsUnfortunately my time with ScholarBuys, while short (~1 year), was not rewarding for me. I had issues with the way the company ran:

1. First and foremost, this is a reseller. The pressure to make sales is on high, and the attitude toward the customer is therefore not always completely honest or in their best interest. This is not unique to ScholarBuys by any means; and there really is no other way to run the kind of business they do, which has its place and should not be discredited. They offer a valid service. The problem is that if you're not the kind of person who works well under pressure, especially when that pressure is often about doing things that are not necessarily ethical, you're going to have a bad time here. Make sure you have the right personality for the position. My fantastic experience in another company that works very differently has since cemented my opinion in this regard.

2. Management at this job tends to destroy their own customer relationships over time. Sales is kind of a revolving-door line of work, yet the management wants to make relationship-based sales as opposed to getting aggressive with pricing or inventive with marketing (their attitude to viral marketing aside, they have no idea how to actually do it, and no inclination to actually spend resources researching how to do it). As such, many of their older accounts slip away from them when the original relationship that sold the product ends - which as I mentioned, was often. Management noticed this trend, but responded by micromanaging the older accounts and keeping newer salespeople from really interacting with them in any substantial way. This was done to save the relationship, and would have been fine except that said new salespeople were simultaneously still expected to build a relationship with these accounts. The result was mostly fruitless and awkward for all involved, at least while I was there.

3. Management was not good at setting expectations. They thought they had because they clearly explained their expectations often. Nevertheless, what they said and what they actually evaluated (or appeared to evaluate), seemed to differ almost by day.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't do relationship-based selling. Focus on a sales team that has extensive product knowledge and the ability to troubleshoot/solve customer problems. Spend resources determining how best to market yourselves and have a skilled employee group that executes the marketing for you.

Come up with a company metric that clearly computes the following: (possibility of sale X profit of sale X importance of relationship = effort to put into sale in terms of time spent), and stick to that metric when evaluating your employees.

May 7, 2013

Our business model is built around relationship selling. Anyone can offer a low price, very few can back it up with proper service. We take pride in the fact that during the entire five year history ... More

Great company to work for, with many opportunities

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Carpentersville, IL

ProsScholarBuys has an open environment which invites great communication throughout the office. ScholarBuys offers a great amount of freedom, employees aren't tied down to strict rules and regulations. It's almost like you're running your own business.

They offer a great health care plan and both paid holidays + personal days. All team members get along great - it's important in a smaller shop.

ScholarBuys has provided many opportunities that have helped both my career and personal life. Management truly cares about their employees and helps you obtain both short and long-term goals. They also listen when requests are made. It's nice to have a voice that's heard - your ideas are always welcome and taken into consideration.

ConsIn the past, a few reps were kept on too long - well after they needed to go. This really hurt employee synergy. Things always bounced back to normal, however.

Some may say starting salary is small. I completely disagree, those how put in extra effort are recognized and compensated accordingly.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employee's advise about their counterparts - there have been a few scenarios where others were kept on too long.

May 8, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are certainly learning from our mistakes and hope to continue to build a strong business with the help of great coworkers like you. We encourage you to voice your ... More

Great place to work

Operations Management (Current Employee) Carpentersville, IL

ProsOpen work environment. Great location and a nice office space. Excellent benefits; 11 paid holidays, 10 days of paid vacation and an excellent health care plan. The work environment is casual and very laid back. Casual dress environment, flip-flops and shorts all summer. Overall a very fun and youthful group to work with.

ConsIt is a small shop and not for everyone. Most of my coworkers are young and fresh out of college. They are given a small starting salary and are expected to learn on the job. Those that put in the extra effort are rewarded with salary increases and increased responsibilities. Those that do not tend to last for a year or less. If you are looking for a job to pay the bills rather than a career to grow with, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees complaints and concerns about bad apples. Often management hangs on to employees who are not a good fit with the hopes they can turn them into professionals. It would be better to weed out these "one centers" and continue rewarding those who put in the extra time and effort.

Apr 23, 2013

Thank you for your feedback, it is valued. Any legitimate input (positive or negative) that is provided on this forum is sincerely appreciated. We are sorry that we did correct the situation ... More

Great company culture and awesome team members

Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsScholarBuys has a laid back atmosphere and it goes hand in hand with the company culture. We are a smaller company and the current team members all get along extremely well. The company offers great healthcare benefits, paid time off, and paid holidays.
     Management not only has a genuine interest in the professional career growth of their employees but also in their well-being. I have a small child at home and frequently have to take unexpected time off and it is never an issue because management understand and relates.
    I feel like my opinions are taken under consideration and never just brushed off. Management is always willing to listen to REASONABLE requests from their employees assuming they are for the greater good of the company.
    I never feel like management is hovering or monitoring my every move; but I also feel that employees who earn the trust and respect of management have more freedom.

ConsStarting salaries are small BUT I have never seen an employee not compensated properly. In sales, they are responsible for their growth. On the clerical side, pay raises are common to reward an employee for taking on extra responsibilities or continuing to do a good job.
    Because the office and team is small, one bad seed can really bring down morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementScholarBuys is a small company that is new(er) so it's a learn-as-you-go thing. I think continuing to put procedures in place will help ensure that everything keeps running smoothly. Continue to piggy back critiques with positive reinforcement to maintain the morale that we have developed.

Apr 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. You are a true asset to our organization and we appreciate your input!

Good Entry Level Position

Sales Executive (Former Employee) Carpentersville, IL

ProsIt was a good group to work with. They had awesome benefits and a casual work environment. Very young group, made up of mostly recent college grads.

ConsIt is a small operation with a small starting salary. They pay their proven sales people well but sales was not my thing so I made very little. I moved on because there was no other open positions outside of sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more extracurricular activities to your employees. Consider growing some of your other departments.

Worked for ScholarBuys? Contribute to the Community!