Scholars At Your Service Reviews

12 reviews filtered by
3.5
CEO

1. Jumpstarted My Career - Cant Thank Scholars Enough

Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I owe all of my current business success to the summers I ran a painting franchise with S.A.Y.S. It jumpstarted my career, allowing me to blow past my peers and start earning 6 figures right out of school. People are consistently astonished by my young age and how much business experience I already have.

I learned:
    -How to sell; both in person, and over the phone (a very valuable life skill to have)
    -Marketing techniques and strategy
    -New client acquisition and delivering on services sold to that client (production)
    -How to manage multiple people
    -Accounting + business admin skills
    -What hard work actually means
    -How to source, recruit and hire employees (translated to how to successfully be hired once I became the candidate)
    -What it takes to be an entrepreneur
    -Time management skills.

Cons

Hmm. You wont have a life during the summer. Definitely have to forego social commitments in order to be successful. If you cant do that, then you might as well quit while you're ahead!

I read a couple negative reviews on this site which were unfortunate. I remember also reading negative reviews about other Student Service Industry companies back when I was considering buying a franchise from SAYS. It seems like some students out there don't really understand franchising or entrepreneurship. They want all the glory of being a "business owner" but when it comes time to put the work in, they falter. Its unfortunate that some have had negative experiences, but respectfully I feel it was their fault for undertaking a responsibility they were not prepared for. SAYS basically gives you an entire guide and system to be successful and my coach helped me build my marketing force, secure contracts for me, and was there during all of my production launches . If you follow their systems and put the work in, there is no way you can fail.

Ensure to properly screen out candidates who cannot handle entreprenurship

2. Great student run painting company providing quality painting work and value!

Current Employee - Franchise Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Driven and hard working students!

Cons

There are no mentionable negatives.

Keep it up!

3. Pyramide scheme

Former Employee - Franchise Manager
    Former Employee - Franchise Manager

I worked at Scholars At Your Service

Pros

You get to experience how it's like to be a manage a franchise and to take on a lot of responsabilities.

Cons

The heads of the company (directors, president etc.) just want to make money. They protect themselves by pushing all the responsibilities on and blames and to the "franchise manager", which is an honorific title to designate inexperienced young adults (21 years old in average) lured in by promises of a safe and collegial environment to try their hand at managing a business. Meanwhile, costumers receive crappy services, marketers and painters are poorly treated and compensated, and the some franchise managers barely make any money from their countless hours of work. And this happens again and again and again.

You should close down the company or restructure it from top to bottom. Either way, you need to own up to your responsibilities.

5. The greatest kickstart a young ambitious entrepreneur could get!

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Scholars at Your Service remains similar to most student painting companies but distinguishes itself in many aspects. Franchise managers will find themselves surrounded by highly competent mentors that will teach them the greatest parts of entrepreneurship. The framework allows FMs to launch a successful company in a very low risk environment and makes it possible to run a business 2 to 3 times larger than what most student would be able to launch on their own. It is tough, it is stressful, it's an experience that makes you doubt about yourself many times. But what do we say? No pain no gain? Here is your chance to make decent money but mostly, to acquire a significant edge over all the other undergrads out there.

Cons

You will find the experience very hard for many reasons. You need to be ready to get out of your comfort zone. It is a program tailored for the most determined and hard-working people. Some are not made for it and realizes it a little too late. But thats part of the game.

6. This program launched my business career. If you think you are a leader, this is the ultimate test!

Former Employee - Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was hired as a manager at the ripe age of 19. During my two years in the program, I learned to run a successful business. I made an amazing network of other ambitious managers, many of whom I am still in contact with today. It was not easy at all, but my team delivered over 250 painting projects. I had great painters and marketer, still friends to this day. Four years later, I can proudly say that my success in business all started with Scholars and this remarkable challenge.

Cons

Notice that all the complaints on this site are coming from painters or marketers. Scholars recruits and trains business leaders. They, in turn, start their own business and hire painters and marketers. If the later are unhappy, they should take it up with their respective managers. To attack the whole program (that they do not understand) is entirely beside the point. I have had disputes with employees in the past and I take full responsibility, this has nothing to do with the Scholars franchise program. For the most part, I managed to find skilled people whom I paid well above minimum wage: marketers 15$/h and painters $15-$20/h . My painters worked 40-50 hours a week. But hey, it all depends on who’s in charge!

More people could benefit from what you teach, especially business majors!

7. Amazing program for ambitious and smart students - not for everyone

Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Scholars was an amazing experience that helped me develop my managerial and leadership skills. The knowledge and aptitudes I gained while managing a 100K business provided a solid foundation to propel my career forward. Through the extensive networks that I built in my two years at the company, I was able to secure a position as director of sales and marketing at one of Canada's hottest Ed-tech start-ups. Scholars is an awesome experience that will transform who you are, and put you well ahead in your business career.

Cons

Starting a business is not for everyone, but it definitely provides a great test of your abilities.

8. best managerial experience I could have for my age

I worked at Scholars At Your Service part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent entrepreneurship platform that enables lot of university driven students to live the roller coaster life. I got a lot from the training on Sales technique and management/ Human resources/ supply management and many others. You really are a business owner and your own boss. Your GM is only a coach to your success. There is always somebody with you in any new step you make in your business in order to make sure you are successful doing it

Cons

Hard work. This is not a normal employment where you work during the day and not worried about it at night. You will get you business skills by thinking and managing your company 24/7. Entrepreneurship is not for everybody.

Better online presence for customer website, Access to more shirts and clothes for marketers and painters. Direct online payment for employees,

9. TOTAL SCAM-being a painter and they scam the governement.

Current Intern - Painter in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Intern - Painter in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Working outside...friendly staff. And thats about it.

Cons

You are not well paid----from 10,25 to 12$ an hour, but they make over 50$ an hour with you...
    They always estimate less hours then you need...you can work 20 hours on a proect but they said they'll pay you 14 because they didin't estimate well and will not pay you the difference. They promise you over 40 hours a week all summer and you do only 30 on average ( and paid on average 20)
    They take half a million years to pay you: if you do a normal job your manager will NOT pay you until the customer pays...LEGALLY THEY HAVE to pay you. You did your job you are NOT responsible for the costumers whining. DO NOT accept doing any waranty jobs...they don't tell you but they will Sends you a check without pay stub...so If anything hapened to me while doing the job I woudn't have had any proof and would NOT have been insured. and they take over a month to pay you the waranty jobs.

I WILL sue you.

10. Working for free isn't work.

Former Employee - Marketer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fresh air
    Exercise
    The ability to spot a pyramid scheme the next time around

Cons

It's a joke, I don't even know if it's a real company. I was asked initally to do marketing. I never filled out any paperwork, they never even asked for a sin number. I have not received any remuneration for the marketing work I did, which was essentially just going door to door.

The way it works as it was described to me over the phone. Essentially you go door to door and fo every lead you get you will receive $10.00. Then the story changed to, every lead that books their painting services. How would I, the humble front line marketer know which leades actually book their services? Well, I'm sure they'd tell me right? I mean, what would an organization that doesn't even pay minimum wage have to gain by having young stupid people work for free? Oh right, zero overhead. Even if they actually paid $10.00 per lead, their costs are fixed, yours however, you know, gas or bussing, having to eat on occasion, well, that's your problem.

I would contemplate small claims court, however I have no evidence I even worked for the company other than some text messages. I was never contacted by an HR department, as far as I know the company owes me aproximately $70.00 for my work but again, the individual could just say "oh those leads, yeah they didn't pan out" and pay me nothing.

Is there management? I didn't see any..

11. Commission Based Work for Children

Former Employee - Marketer in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketer in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some pros of working here are that there are very short hours that you have to put in to work.

Cons

It is fully commission based work, and they lie to you when they say you get money for every lead you get. You only get paid $11 if the lead follows through and they get a paint job out of it, otherwise you get no money. It is almost impossible to get enough follow through leads to get paid minimum wage.

Pay commission based on how many leads the worker gets so they can at least make minimum wage.