Scholars At Your Service

Reset
3.8
CEO

1. manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

Gives you an intense challenge that no university could ever give you on the field. Good coaching for most of the new steps.

Cons

Hard and not a place to chill. if you don't work, you wont get anywhere. Your weekends will be transform in working days.

Advice to Management

We should have help toward the recrutement process. Something like a corporate recrutement agent that have a full time job help manager to create and post adds, filter call the applicants.

2. SCHOALRS - GREAT WAY TO KICKSTART ANY CAREER

Former Employee - Franchise Manager

Pros

Before we get into pros and cons - being a Franchise Manager isn't for everyone. Personally it was both the best and worst summer I've had but I would do it again in a heartbeat because of all the things I learned in this time. It was the hardest thing I have ever done and it is extremely rewarding to come out on top at the end. Plus - you meet some amazing people along the way :) Having said this, be prepared to dedicate 100% of your time to this (just like any other entrepreneur would). During my time at Scholars, I learned a LOT and I use it almost every day in my career (and also helped me secure a job right out of school) Client relations - starting with cold calling, you then create a a relationship with potential clients during the estimating process, following up, answering questions, selling, and how to handle issues and complaints properly (trust me, if you are good at this, you can turn any issue into a non-issue) Time Management/Organization - handling hiring, estimating, marketing, production and client relations all at the same time can be overwhelming and forces you to use every minute in your day efficiently. You HAVE to be organized and manage your time well in order to succeed You can tie your experiences from this to almost any career you may want to take!

Cons

Long hours - there is very little time for friends and family, so be prepared to lose your social life for one summer - be sure to have a good support network that can help you keep your spirits up when you get stressed Not for everyone - if you are not prepared to be pushed to your limits and work hard every day then this is not for you

Advice to Management

More support in the field - you have to be very persistent to get the support you need

3. SAYS - serious challenge, valuable life learning experience, great reward

Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

For students who want to become franchise managers this is an ultimate opportunity to test their maturity, resilience, dedication to a chosen goal and desire to succeed. My experience as a franchise manager was generally positive and rewarding. I learned a ton about client and employee management, hiring, selling, marketing, painting, dealing with stress, problem solving, etc. I met a lot of great people who became my friends. I learned a lot about setting and achieving goals, self-motivation, team building and leadership etc. Countless hours dedicated to building my business payed off. I made decent money that otherwise I would not be able to make being a full time student.

Cons

Long hours - no time for friends, family, etc. Risk of loosing initial investment in car, equipment, etc. Scarce managerial resources for field support

Advice to Management

Invest more in field training and development

5. Jumpstarted My Career - Cant Thank Scholars Enough

Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I owe all of my current business success to the summers I ran a painting franchise with S.A.Y.S. It jumpstarted my career, allowing me to blow past my peers and start earning 6 figures right out of school. People are consistently astonished by my young age and how much business experience I already have. I learned: -How to sell; both in person, and over the phone (a very valuable life skill to have) -Marketing techniques and strategy -New client acquisition and delivering on services sold to that client (production) -How to manage multiple people -Accounting + business admin skills -What hard work actually means -How to source, recruit and hire employees (translated to how to successfully be hired once I became the candidate) -What it takes to be an entrepreneur -Time management skills.

Cons

Hmm. You wont have a life during the summer. Definitely have to forego social commitments in order to be successful. If you cant do that, then you might as well quit while you're ahead! I read a couple negative reviews on this site which were unfortunate. I remember also reading negative reviews about other Student Service Industry companies back when I was considering buying a franchise from SAYS. It seems like some students out there don't really understand franchising or entrepreneurship. They want all the glory of being a "business owner" but when it comes time to put the work in, they falter. Its unfortunate that some have had negative experiences, but respectfully I feel it was their fault for undertaking a responsibility they were not prepared for. SAYS basically gives you an entire guide and system to be successful and my coach helped me build my marketing force, secure contracts for me, and was there during all of my production launches . If you follow their systems and put the work in, there is no way you can fail.

Advice to Management

Ensure to properly screen out candidates who cannot handle entreprenurship

6. Great student run painting company providing quality painting work and value!

Current Employee - Franchise Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Driven and hard working students!

Cons

There are no mentionable negatives.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

7. Pyramide scheme

Former Employee - Franchise Manager

Pros

You get to experience how it's like to be a manage a franchise and to take on a lot of responsabilities.

Cons

The heads of the company (directors, president etc.) just want to make money. They protect themselves by pushing all the responsibilities on and blames and to the "franchise manager", which is an honorific title to designate inexperienced young adults (21 years old in average) lured in by promises of a safe and collegial environment to try their hand at managing a business. Meanwhile, costumers receive crappy services, marketers and painters are poorly treated and compensated, and the some franchise managers barely make any money from their countless hours of work. And this happens again and again and again.

Advice to Management

You should close down the company or restructure it from top to bottom. Either way, you need to own up to your responsibilities.

8. The greatest kickstart a young ambitious entrepreneur could get!

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scholars at Your Service remains similar to most student painting companies but distinguishes itself in many aspects. Franchise managers will find themselves surrounded by highly competent mentors that will teach them the greatest parts of entrepreneurship. The framework allows FMs to launch a successful company in a very low risk environment and makes it possible to run a business 2 to 3 times larger than what most student would be able to launch on their own. It is tough, it is stressful, it's an experience that makes you doubt about yourself many times. But what do we say? No pain no gain? Here is your chance to make decent money but mostly, to acquire a significant edge over all the other undergrads out there.

Cons

You will find the experience very hard for many reasons. You need to be ready to get out of your comfort zone. It is a program tailored for the most determined and hard-working people. Some are not made for it and realizes it a little too late. But thats part of the game.

9. Amazing program for ambitious and smart students - not for everyone

Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Scholars was an amazing experience that helped me develop my managerial and leadership skills. The knowledge and aptitudes I gained while managing a 100K business provided a solid foundation to propel my career forward. Through the extensive networks that I built in my two years at the company, I was able to secure a position as director of sales and marketing at one of Canada's hottest Ed-tech start-ups. Scholars is an awesome experience that will transform who you are, and put you well ahead in your business career.

Cons

Starting a business is not for everyone, but it definitely provides a great test of your abilities.

10. This program launched my business career. If you think you are a leader, this is the ultimate test!

Former Employee - Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was hired as a manager at the ripe age of 19. During my two years in the program, I learned to run a successful business. I made an amazing network of other ambitious managers, many of whom I am still in contact with today. It was not easy at all, but my team delivered over 250 painting projects. I had great painters and marketer, still friends to this day. Four years later, I can proudly say that my success in business all started with Scholars and this remarkable challenge.

Cons

Notice that all the complaints on this site are coming from painters or marketers. Scholars recruits and trains business leaders. They, in turn, start their own business and hire painters and marketers. If the later are unhappy, they should take it up with their respective managers. To attack the whole program (that they do not understand) is entirely beside the point. I have had disputes with employees in the past and I take full responsibility, this has nothing to do with the Scholars franchise program. For the most part, I managed to find skilled people whom I paid well above minimum wage: marketers 15$/h and painters $15-$20/h . My painters worked 40-50 hours a week. But hey, it all depends on who’s in charge!

Advice to Management

More people could benefit from what you teach, especially business majors!

11. best managerial experience I could have for my age

Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent entrepreneurship platform that enables lot of university driven students to live the roller coaster life. I got a lot from the training on Sales technique and management/ Human resources/ supply management and many others. You really are a business owner and your own boss. Your GM is only a coach to your success. There is always somebody with you in any new step you make in your business in order to make sure you are successful doing it

Cons

Hard work. This is not a normal employment where you work during the day and not worried about it at night. You will get you business skills by thinking and managing your company 24/7. Entrepreneurship is not for everybody.

Advice to Management

Better online presence for customer website, Access to more shirts and clothes for marketers and painters. Direct online payment for employees,

RSS Feed </> Embed