Scholars At Your Service

Updated January 18, 2015
Updated January 18, 2015
3.6

CEO

Great student run painting company providing quality painting work and value!

Current Employee - Franchise Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Franchise Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Driven and hard working students!

Cons

There are no mentionable negatives.

Keep it up!

The greatest kickstart a young ambitious entrepreneur could get!

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Scholars at Your Service remains similar to most student painting companies but distinguishes itself in many aspects. Franchise managers will find themselves surrounded by highly competent mentors that will teach them the greatest parts of entrepreneurship. The framework allows FMs to launch a successful company in a very low risk environment and makes it possible to run a business 2 to 3 times larger than what most student would be able to launch on their own. It is tough, it is stressful, it's an experience that makes you doubt about yourself many times. But what do we say? No pain no gain? Here is your chance to make decent money but mostly, to acquire a significant edge over all the other undergrads out there.

Cons

You will find the experience very hard for many reasons. You need to be ready to get out of your comfort zone. It is a program tailored for the most determined and hard-working people. Some are not made for it and realizes it a little too late. But thats part of the game.

This program launched my business career. If you think you are a leader, this is the ultimate test!

Former Employee - Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was hired as a manager at the ripe age of 19. During my two years in the program, I learned to run a successful business. I made an amazing network of other ambitious managers, many of whom I am still in contact with today. It was not easy at all, but my team delivered over 250 painting projects. I had great painters and marketer, still friends to this day. Four years later, I can proudly say that my success in business all started with Scholars and this remarkable challenge.

Cons

Notice that all the complaints on this site are coming from painters or marketers. Scholars recruits and trains business leaders. They, in turn, start their own business and hire painters and marketers. If the later are unhappy, they should take it up with their respective managers. To attack the whole program (that they do not understand) is entirely beside the point. I have had disputes with employees in the past and I take full responsibility, this has nothing to do with the Scholars franchise program. For the most part, I managed to find skilled people whom I paid well above minimum wage: marketers 15$/h and painters $15-$20/h . My painters worked 40-50 hours a week. But hey, it all depends on who’s in charge!

More people could benefit from what you teach, especially business majors!

Amazing program for ambitious and smart students - not for everyone

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Scholars was an amazing experience that helped me develop my managerial and leadership skills. The knowledge and aptitudes I gained while managing a 100K business provided a solid foundation to propel my career forward. Through the extensive networks that I built in my two years at the company, I was able to secure a position as director of sales and marketing at one of Canada's hottest Ed-tech start-ups. Scholars is an awesome experience that will transform who you are, and put you well ahead in your business career.

Cons

Starting a business is not for everyone, but it definitely provides a great test of your abilities.

best managerial experience I could have for my age

I worked at Scholars At Your Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent entrepreneurship platform that enables lot of university driven students to live the roller coaster life. I got a lot from the training on Sales technique and management/ Human resources/ supply management and many others. You really are a business owner and your own boss. Your GM is only a coach to your success. There is always somebody with you in any new step you make in your business in order to make sure you are successful doing it

Cons

Hard work. This is not a normal employment where you work during the day and not worried about it at night. You will get you business skills by thinking and managing your company 24/7. Entrepreneurship is not for everybody.

Better online presence for customer website, Access to more shirts and clothes for marketers and painters. Direct online payment for employees,

Tough program that pushes you to your limits, while allowing a ton of learning opportunities

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a great chance to get a feel of what it's like to run your own small business; learn a lot about sales; managing production; paint tech; seeking, interviewing, hiring, training and managing employees; meet a lot of nice and not so nice clients; make good money; improve confidence

Cons

training for managing a job site is poor; most focus is on sales training so that you sell as much jobs as possible; producing work is overlooked; hiring good people is tough and the company does not provide good training in this area

Rely only on yourself, nothing will happen if you don't work hard to get it; use the support network, peers, GMs, suppliers, your family, as much as you can; DO NOT GIVE UP, there is always another day!

If you think you have what it takes then go for it

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience if you're looking to push yourself. Improves your sales ability, and you get good experience managing client relationships as well as managing and motivating your own employees. Overall, it's an experience you'll be proud that you did. Good lump at the end of the year if you've run a decent sized business.

Cons

The marketing gets tough. You need strong willpower and perseverance to get through the pre season, and you have to pay marketers out of your pocket. Be sure to track this expense closely and adjust your pricing. Coaching is good but as they grow it gets less personal. Production training isn't good enough, a lot of managers get overwhelmed and have painters quit. AND THE ROYALTIES ARE TOO MUCH. Not warranted with the level of coaching provided.

Better training. Assist every manager in their first marketing session. Develop a better system for leads and marketing payment for managers to follow so that less of them end up losing money. Need modules and spreadsheets on profitability tracking for managers to follow. Lower royalties

TOTAL SCAM-being a painter and they scam the governement.

Current Employee - Painter in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Painter in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working outside...friendly staff. And thats about it.

Cons

You are not well paid----from 10,25 to 12$ an hour, but they make over 50$ an hour with you...
    They always estimate less hours then you need...you can work 20 hours on a proect but they said they'll pay you 14 because they didin't estimate well and will not pay you the difference. They promise you over 40 hours a week all summer and you do only 30 on average ( and paid on average 20)
    They take half a million years to pay you: if you do a normal job your manager will NOT pay you until the customer pays...LEGALLY THEY HAVE to pay you. You did your job you are NOT responsible for the costumers whining. DO NOT accept doing any waranty jobs...they don't tell you but they will Sends you a check without pay stub...so If anything hapened to me while doing the job I woudn't have had any proof and would NOT have been insured. and they take over a month to pay you the waranty jobs.

I WILL sue you.

Working for free isn't work.

Former Employee - Marketer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fresh air
    Exercise
    The ability to spot a pyramid scheme the next time around

Cons

It's a joke, I don't even know if it's a real company. I was asked initally to do marketing. I never filled out any paperwork, they never even asked for a sin number. I have not received any remuneration for the marketing work I did, which was essentially just going door to door.

The way it works as it was described to me over the phone. Essentially you go door to door and fo every lead you get you will receive $10.00. Then the story changed to, every lead that books their painting services. How would I, the humble front line marketer know which leades actually book their services? Well, I'm sure they'd tell me right? I mean, what would an organization that doesn't even pay minimum wage have to gain by having young stupid people work for free? Oh right, zero overhead. Even if they actually paid $10.00 per lead, their costs are fixed, yours however, you know, gas or bussing, having to eat on occasion, well, that's your problem.

I would contemplate small claims court, however I have no evidence I even worked for the company other than some text messages. I was never contacted by an HR department, as far as I know the company owes me aproximately $70.00 for my work but again, the individual could just say "oh those leads, yeah they didn't pan out" and pay me nothing.

Is there management? I didn't see any..

Commission Based Work for Children

Former Employee - Marketer in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketer in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some pros of working here are that there are very short hours that you have to put in to work.

Cons

It is fully commission based work, and they lie to you when they say you get money for every lead you get. You only get paid $11 if the lead follows through and they get a paint job out of it, otherwise you get no money. It is almost impossible to get enough follow through leads to get paid minimum wage.

Pay commission based on how many leads the worker gets so they can at least make minimum wage.