Scholars At Your Service

Updated November 28, 2014
Updated November 28, 2014
2.7

CEO

best managerial experience I could have for my age

Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Franchise Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent entrepreneurship platform that enables lot of university driven students to live the roller coaster life. I got a lot from the training on Sales technique and management/ Human resources/ supply management and many others. You really are a business owner and your own boss. Your GM is only a coach to your success. There is always somebody with you in any new step you make in your business in order to make sure you are successful doing it

Cons

Hard work. This is not a normal employment where you work during the day and not worried about it at night. You will get you business skills by thinking and managing your company 24/7. Entrepreneurship is not for everybody.

Better online presence for customer website, Access to more shirts and clothes for marketers and painters. Direct online payment for employees,

Tough program that pushes you to your limits, while allowing a ton of learning opportunities

Former Employee - Franchise Manager

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a great chance to get a feel of what it's like to run your own small business; learn a lot about sales; managing production; paint tech; seeking, interviewing, hiring, training and managing employees; meet a lot of nice and not so nice clients; make good money; improve confidence

Cons

training for managing a job site is poor; most focus is on sales training so that you sell as much jobs as possible; producing work is overlooked; hiring good people is tough and the company does not provide good training in this area

Rely only on yourself, nothing will happen if you don't work hard to get it; use the support network, peers, GMs, suppliers, your family, as much as you can; DO NOT GIVE UP, there is always another day!

If you think you have what it takes then go for it

Former Employee - Franchise Manager

I worked at Scholars At Your Service full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience if you're looking to push yourself. Improves your sales ability, and you get good experience managing client relationships as well as managing and motivating your own employees. Overall, it's an experience you'll be proud that you did. Good lump at the end of the year if you've run a decent sized business.

Cons

The marketing gets tough. You need strong willpower and perseverance to get through the pre season, and you have to pay marketers out of your pocket. Be sure to track this expense closely and adjust your pricing. Coaching is good but as they grow it gets less personal. Production training isn't good enough, a lot of managers get overwhelmed and have painters quit. AND THE ROYALTIES ARE TOO MUCH. Not warranted with the level of coaching provided.

Better training. Assist every manager in their first marketing session. Develop a better system for leads and marketing payment for managers to follow so that less of them end up losing money. Need modules and spreadsheets on profitability tracking for managers to follow. Lower royalties

TOTAL SCAM-being a painter and they scam the governement.

Current Employee - Painter in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Painter in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Scholars At Your Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working outside...friendly staff. And thats about it.

Cons

You are not well paid----from 10,25 to 12$ an hour, but they make over 50$ an hour with you...
    They always estimate less hours then you need...you can work 20 hours on a proect but they said they'll pay you 14 because they didin't estimate well and will not pay you the difference. They promise you over 40 hours a week all summer and you do only 30 on average ( and paid on average 20)
    They take half a million years to pay you: if you do a normal job your manager will NOT pay you until the customer pays...LEGALLY THEY HAVE to pay you. You did your job you are NOT responsible for the costumers whining. DO NOT accept doing any waranty jobs...they don't tell you but they will Sends you a check without pay stub...so If anything hapened to me while doing the job I woudn't have had any proof and would NOT have been insured. and they take over a month to pay you the waranty jobs.

I WILL sue you.

Working for free isn't work.

Former Employee - Marketer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketer in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fresh air
    Exercise
    The ability to spot a pyramid scheme the next time around

Cons

It's a joke, I don't even know if it's a real company. I was asked initally to do marketing. I never filled out any paperwork, they never even asked for a sin number. I have not received any remuneration for the marketing work I did, which was essentially just going door to door.

The way it works as it was described to me over the phone. Essentially you go door to door and fo every lead you get you will receive $10.00. Then the story changed to, every lead that books their painting services. How would I, the humble front line marketer know which leades actually book their services? Well, I'm sure they'd tell me right? I mean, what would an organization that doesn't even pay minimum wage have to gain by having young stupid people work for free? Oh right, zero overhead. Even if they actually paid $10.00 per lead, their costs are fixed, yours however, you know, gas or bussing, having to eat on occasion, well, that's your problem.

I would contemplate small claims court, however I have no evidence I even worked for the company other than some text messages. I was never contacted by an HR department, as far as I know the company owes me aproximately $70.00 for my work but again, the individual could just say "oh those leads, yeah they didn't pan out" and pay me nothing.

Is there management? I didn't see any..

Commission Based Work for Children

Former Employee - Marketer in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Marketer in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at Scholars At Your Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some pros of working here are that there are very short hours that you have to put in to work.

Cons

It is fully commission based work, and they lie to you when they say you get money for every lead you get. You only get paid $11 if the lead follows through and they get a paint job out of it, otherwise you get no money. It is almost impossible to get enough follow through leads to get paid minimum wage.

Pay commission based on how many leads the worker gets so they can at least make minimum wage.