Scholars At Your Service

Scholars At Your Service Reviews

Updated May 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Working for free isn't work.

Marketer (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsFresh air
    Exercise
    The ability to spot a pyramid scheme the next time around

ConsIt's a joke, I don't even know if it's a real company. I was asked initally to do marketing. I never filled out any paperwork, they never even asked for a sin number. I have not received any remuneration for the marketing work I did, which was essentially just going door to door.

The way it works as it was described to me over the phone. Essentially you go door to door and fo every lead you get you will receive $10.00. Then the story changed to, every lead that books their painting services. How would I, the humble front line marketer know which leades actually book their services? Well, I'm sure they'd tell me right? I mean, what would an organization that doesn't even pay minimum wage have to gain by having young stupid people work for free? Oh right, zero overhead. Even if they actually paid $10.00 per lead, their costs are fixed, yours however, you know, gas or bussing, having to eat on occasion, well, that's your problem.

I would contemplate small claims court, however I have no evidence I even worked for the company other than some text messages. I was never contacted by an HR department, as far as I know the company owes me aproximately $70.00 for my work but again, the individual could just say "oh those leads, yeah they didn't pan out" and pay me nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementIs there management? I didn't see any..

Commission Based Work for Children

Marketer (Former Employee) Markham, ON (Canada)

ProsSome pros of working here are that there are very short hours that you have to put in to work.

ConsIt is fully commission based work, and they lie to you when they say you get money for every lead you get. You only get paid $11 if the lead follows through and they get a paint job out of it, otherwise you get no money. It is almost impossible to get enough follow through leads to get paid minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay commission based on how many leads the worker gets so they can at least make minimum wage.

If you think you have what it takes then go for it

Franchise Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat learning experience if you're looking to push yourself. Improves your sales ability, and you get good experience managing client relationships as well as managing and motivating your own employees. Overall, it's an experience you'll be proud that you did. Good lump at the end of the year if you've run a decent sized business.

ConsThe marketing gets tough. You need strong willpower and perseverance to get through the pre season, and you have to pay marketers out of your pocket. Be sure to track this expense closely and adjust your pricing. Coaching is good but as they grow it gets less personal. Production training isn't good enough, a lot of managers get overwhelmed and have painters quit. AND THE ROYALTIES ARE TOO MUCH. Not warranted with the level of coaching provided.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training. Assist every manager in their first marketing session. Develop a better system for leads and marketing payment for managers to follow so that less of them end up losing money. Need modules and spreadsheets on profitability tracking for managers to follow. Lower royalties

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tough program that pushes you to your limits, while allowing a ton of learning opportunities

Franchise Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a great chance to get a feel of what it's like to run your own small business; learn a lot about sales; managing production; paint tech; seeking, interviewing, hiring, training and managing employees; meet a lot of nice and not so nice clients; make good money; improve confidence

Constraining for managing a job site is poor; most focus is on sales training so that you sell as much jobs as possible; producing work is overlooked; hiring good people is tough and the company does not provide good training in this area

Advice to Senior ManagementRely only on yourself, nothing will happen if you don't work hard to get it; use the support network, peers, GMs, suppliers, your family, as much as you can; DO NOT GIVE UP, there is always another day!

Worked for Scholars At Your Service? Contribute to the Community!