Scholastic Book Fairs

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Alan Boyko

Pros
  • You also get a great feeling knowing you are encouraging kids to read and with all the budget cuts, you are providing books for school libraries (in 3 reviews)

• The company President is focused on the company mission (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Opportunities to switch to full-time from part-time are very rare (in 4 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't have a real clue and doesn't care (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Relaxed work environment with nice company functions

Product Coordinator (Former Employee) Tumwater, WA

ProsManagement was competent and helpful. They were flexible with schedule changes which made working there great while attending college. Twice a year they held company picnics and parties, which were on the clock and paid hours for the hourly employees. Annual raises for all employees.

ConsNo benefits for part-time employees. No paid time off for part time employees.

Good Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros11 Holidays a year, better than most companies, good benifits

Conspay not that good, most positions pt seasonal

Great place to work

Business Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsRelaxed work environment, flexible schedule and caring company

ConsI think opportunities for growth is the downfall of the organization

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Getting Kids to Read

Product Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsCo-/workers, discounted books, holidays and summers off.........they offer 401k and pay holidays even for part-time employees

Consnot much working time, your may work 40 hours for a couple weeks then have a month off, If you count on a job to survive and need a regular paycheck this is not the job for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management has no clue at what goes one in the warehouse. I would love to see the the CEO of scholastic do under cover boss and see what his employees have to deal with on a daily basis. Outdated equipment, branch management that can not never make a decision, changes that make no sense. Any employee working for Scholastic would love for upper management to listen to the employees, we work for you every day and know what will make this business run better.

Scholastic's Mission to get books into the hands of children is why you want to work there!

Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Marlborough, MA

ProsThey have changed the sales consultant position to a work at home position which allows work-life balance. You also get a great feeling knowing you are encouraging kids to read and with all the budget cuts, you are providing books for school libraries

Consi think you miss a sense of team when you don't see coworkers and miss out on the option to advance in the company with no branch to work out of.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere were some struggles with management in the past, but once this was corrected, I think there was a great management team there.

Delivery Driver

Driver (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsA lot of time off.

ConsPoor management know chance at growth with the company.

Great with managers,but lack of hours

Logistics (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIF you go to school, they work with your schedule

ConsNot enough hours, depending on the commute, if you live 10 miles away, perfect

Advice to Senior ManagementBoost up some hours

Book Fairs Sales Representative

Sales Representative (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt was nice talking to people at the difference schools, and helping out teachers. The people were nice and there was a chance to be creative by helping the sites set up and "retail" their Book Fairs.

ConsIt didn't pay very much, there was a lot of driving around, and cold calling, which I personally do not care for.

Interesting

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsSummers off and it is a job. In the past I would have said pay, but since the compensation change -NO way

ConsDealing with current management - who I believe are Bi-Polar or Schizo - or just act that way because they think it is a good management style

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because it looks good on paper, does not mean it works in reality. Learn more about what our jobs are before you make statements that are pointless. Listen to what your employees are saying and actually look like you are listening and not thinking about the canned response you are going to give. Do not brush off ideas - great ideas come from the trenches-There is a definite lack of respect from Management to employees, it goes all the way up to Alan Boyko.They put on the face they care but it is an act.

Loved working at Scholastic!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lake Mary, FL

ProsSuch a fun place to work. Very creative team. Everyone cared about the brand and the work being done--inspiring kids to read is a wonderful mission!

ConsThe drive was a bit of a hike from Orlando, but if I worked there longer I would have moved closer.

Worked for Scholastic Book Fairs? Contribute to the Community!