Scholastic

Scholastic Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Scholastic Chairman, President, and CEO Dick Robinson

Dick Robinson

Pros:
  • "Great understanding of work life balance"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great office location in SoHo NYC"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Communication from upper management was disorganized and infrequent"
    in 18 reviews
  • "The heavily siloed departments and nepotistic senior management are hurting internal communications"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I had a great experience with my key subordinates in my department. The pay was low but it was a great place to learn.

Contract Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic as a contractor for more than a year

ProsIt's an innovation organization where you'll learn new skills and hone the ones you have. It's a wonderful creative environment for anyone interested in publishing.

ConsSome of the challenges include job growth within the organization it's pretty limited unless there are lateral moves or promotions. Also the compensation depending on your title is average.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it's important to continue to hone the skills of employees as well as allow training to allow people to get to the next level. Although the perks are amazing, compensation is important.

Former Director

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSoho location, women have excellent opportunities for executive positions, work / life balance, cafeteria, free books, focus on literacy for children

ConsDick Robinson is either out of touch with his company culture or no longer cares. Top level executives are typically laid off for no cause and a new team of executives will replace middle management with their corporate cronies. There's management by fear. Everyone seems to be for themselves and by themselves. There's silos all over with lots of in-fighting at high levels. HR has no principles or authority. Minorities in high positions from CFO down were unceremoniously and shamelessly laid off in groups for no reason. Very disillusioned and disappointed about the culture that was once very liberal minded and fair when the company was privately run.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Board of Directors need to carefully plan succession management starting with the CEO. Scholastic can not compete successfully without changing their corporate culture and management hierarchy. Need much better and constructive communication between departments. Stop trying to run this company like General Motors.

Good company little room for growth

QA Lead (Current Employee)
Watertown, MA

I have been working at Scholastic as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a great place to work, very laid back atmosphere. Work is rewarding, knowing you are improving the lives of stuggling students, giving them the tools to become on par with their classmates

ConsThe company does little towards giving growth to their employees. Small raises in wage are common about yearly, but no salary positions are available. For several years now my department has not had a single member move to full time

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees, get more salary positions to your more senior contractors so they are more willing to stay. Many will leave the company if a full time position is offered elsewhere.

Decent

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Scholastic part-time for more than 3 years

Pros- flexible, people are friendly

Cons- the company did go under tremendous pay cuts

Clifford, The Big Red Dog!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic full-time

ProsWhat you contribute to improving the quality of education to both educators and learners is priceless!

ConsThere is a disconnect between the multiple internal partnerships. HR is untrusting as there seems to be personal relationships built with upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn addition to sales coaching, continue to provide leadership development to those who are in Director positions; otherwise, you will continue to lose good employees who add value to the organization.

Great brand and products, challenging corporate environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWhat you do here matters to kids - whether it's in education, publishing or one of their proprietary distribution channels. They have a great work/life balance and if you are looking for a place to post up long term without a huge amount of pressure, this is a great place to do it.

ConsThe political environment within the company is highly complex and difficult to navigate. Businesses are not always managed with business acumen, rather it can be a very challenging environment to improve anything. Change is generally met with a high level of resistance and decisions are made emotionally more often than based on ROI.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes the only way to evolve is to try drastically new approaches and support them.

Well intentioned but stagnant

Associate (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Scholastic full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat company mission and office location, cares more about doing business the right way rather than squeezing out the most profits. Easy to sleep working there. Great understanding of work life balance.

ConsBad managers, unclear priorities, bad communication between divisions during collaborative projects. Not necessarily a welcoming or supportive place, inconsistencies between compensation and hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove inter-departmental communication

Great company. Great goals. No opportunity for job growth.

I have been working at Scholastic full-time

ProsThe company's goals and their core objectives are admirable. It was amazing working for a company that was so committed to literacy and education. The people in my department were spectacular.

ConsI never went anywhere. I was never promoted (the "Senior" only got tacked on to my job title because I think my boss knew I was feeling frustrated with my lack of upward progress. There was no raise to accompany the change.) I never received any substantial annual pay raises. Any attempts to move to another job within the company over the ten years I was there were rejected. It became extremely frustrating to work there when I felt like I was expected to simply be grateful for the job I had and not expect anything more.

Nepotism and Cronyism Behind The Veil Of Publicly Traded Company

Senior Applications Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Scholastic full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe only pro of working here is that you are help to sell products that help children learn to read. The price points of the products sold via Book Clubs are affordable to families. Teachers receive "bonus points" which they can redeem for being sales agents of the company.

ConsThe business model, as is the leadership, old and broken. Although Scholastic gives the appearance of a publicly traded Company it is not governed as such. The publicly traded Class B shares hold no voting power. Thus the "public" shareholders have no voice in governance. The privately held Class A shareholder has all the power.

As a result, management is inbred, stagnate, and focused on internal politics rather than doing the right thing to continue to grow revenue. Sales have been falling for some time. Only the "one hit wonders" help the sales on occasion.

Seek other places of employment if you want to see your skills valued and nurtured.

Great benefits, feel-good place, perfect for parents

I have been working at Scholastic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you have a family, work-at-home is lenient and maternity leave is wonderful. People generally get in at 9:00 and leave at 5. Amazing benefits and friendly, young employees.

ConsSome business units are doing mass layoffs, employees aren't encouraged to switch departments or move up with their talents, lots of overuse of freelancers and temps, backbiting, and understaffing.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage growth or people will leave.

Worked for Scholastic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Scholastic reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Scholastic CEO Dick Robinson. All 167 reviews posted anonymously by Scholastic employees.